EBay madness

Marcyg

It looks like one of the old-style B12s with the rather better Chinese chassis with finer wheels and coupling rods when compared with the last Margate issues.

I'd venture to sugget that it came from a "Mainline Steam" (R1032) set.

MainlineSteam.jpg.1db80ff39a2e4591918b6222d5f1cd7a.jpg

The loco for £11 is remarkably good value!

The eBay vendor for the above boxed set wants £90 for the lot, though postage is included...

Be careful with the cab steps. For some reason they seem to be remarkably fragile and snap off at a moments notice.

Edited by Hroth
Extra thort.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

You could have just said it looks like a Hornby model.

But yes, it is Hornby.

Ah, but the smokebox door moulding looked a bit flat, so I WAS thinking GBL...

We have one motorised using a China made chassis, and it looks very like that...🙂

But, it's probably not surprising some details may be a bit vague, if, as seems likely, it's the original tools from the 1960s. 🤷🏼‍♀️

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

I've just noticed that half of one of them is missing. It's the one on the right hand side.

That right hand side, just so happens to be on the bottom in the box...so more susceptible to damage. 🤷🏼‍♀️

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, ianmacc said:

I was involved in the demolition of birdcage bridge back in 2006. I didn’t  realise the significance of what it was back then until after the event. 

Yes, the model bridge is based on a section of the Great Central Railway viaduct.

That's the viaduct that when erected, the LNWR had to duplicate a signal gantry at high level as the original signals were a bit lost against the girders...

20220816_105035.jpg.b1c48cc96a5fc2083a8155b6017f3f28.jpg

The model is made in short sections...

Apparently, the model is strong, strong enough for the builder to stand on an upside down section, the base spreads the weight more easily that way up! 🙂

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Photo change...
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

image.png.0ca47938390d71d7609f1b3051ac49ad.png

Image copied from Ruffnuts post...

The track was a little less curvy in LNWR days!!!

1824162821_lnwrClaughtons.jpg.724a04ab78504c435564e849784e024d.jpg

A lovely picture of the huge signal gantry, a Claughton bustling along the LNWR and a GCR 4-6-0 crossing the viaduct!

No idea where the photo came from, its been lurking as one of my screensaver pictures for years

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

1824162821_lnwrClaughtons.jpg.724a04ab78504c435564e849784e024d.jpg

A lovely picture of the huge signal gantry, a Claughton bustling along the LNWR and a GCR 4-6-0 crossing the viaduct!

No idea where the photo came from, its been lurking as one of my screensaver pictures for years

Excellent view of the "bedstead".  There a whole chapter on Rugby in the book "The LNWR at Work" by Hendry & Hendry, which also includes signal diagrams of the mechanical boxes, and a scaled drawing of the Gantry (including end elevation), and even a drawing of the 1888 gantry which it replaced when the GCR was built. 

• Like 5

This made me laugh, I am having a good clear out and many years ago bought two scrap wagons from Alton model shop. Imagine my surprise when I opened up the boxes for the first time after finding them in a long forgotten box after a house move in 2004  and viewed the contents . Anyway  I put them on Ebay 

Item 334552877146 v Item 334552876946

How does that work?

Edited by keysan
fat old fingers on an iphone
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Free postage though! So only about £3 more than elsewhere. Not bad really.

It doesn’t take much to knock down your seller rating if you’ve only sold say 100 items as a single non-positive knocks you down to 99 percent. To achieve only 98.6 percent over 35000 transactions takes a consistent effort! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, 40152 said:

This one is even worse:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363951391641?epid=1530229551&hash=item54bd318399:g:WQMAAOSwrQFi~5YL

Even a cursory glance can find other retailers offering these for £1.60

😬

"Howleys Toys is a traditional, family run, toy shop, supplying the latest craze toys, games and collectables and giving superb value on a large range of outdoor activity products."

I wonder if the actual toy shop in Weymouth is as expensive as their eBay 'shop'? Bucket and spade for the kiddies? BOGOF!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jackfrost83 said:

If you're not mad, we'll 'train' you! 🤓

That's a great opening shot! - just look at that sad excuse for a box!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Seriously?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354250289962

Complete with the Hornby late 1980's vintage won't go around curves wobbly white wall plastic wheels and shoddy paint job?

These were yours for a fiver back in the day although on top of that was the cash I had to outlay on flush glazing, new wheels and a partial repaint to get it looking half decent...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Jackfrost83 said:

Definitely qualifies, Jack.  An older tooling as shown by the couplings, which would now qualify it as a Railroad item.  It could even have tender drive, a 70s/80s feature. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

If you're not mad, we'll 'train' you! 🤓

That's a great opening shot! - just look at that sad excuse for a box!

I suspect that it's only worth shouting about it being boxed if it's the original factory packaging? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Seriously?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354250289962

Complete with the Hornby late 1980's vintage won't go around curves wobbly white wall plastic wheels and shoddy paint job?

These were yours for a fiver back in the day although on top of that was the cash I had to outlay on flush glazing, new wheels and a partial repaint to get it looking half decent...

Prices seem to vary wildly for these, anywhere between £10 and £30.

• Like 2