EBay madness

Marcyg

He'd already covered the road holding aspect of added weight:

"Two additional weights, totalling 38g have been added to the coach to increase stability and provide greater traction. (see image 5)"

I think that he was just trying to make it sound better than it is.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

1980's shorty Hornby Mk3 with football stadium spotlights in part of the coach and a free magic wand for forty sheets anyone?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225120189857

Not to mention some of the most serious light bleed ever seen in railway modelling and passengers who need a full radiation suit and glasses to protect themselves from the light...

image.png.160c25d650f2e66801378270a0c5ad09.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

He'd already covered the road holding aspect of added weight:

"Two additional weights, totalling 38g have been added to the coach to increase stability and provide greater traction. (see image 5)"

I think that he was just trying to make it sound better than it is.

I don't care how it sounds, it looks ****.

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I don't care how it sounds, it looks ****.

That also occured to me, but I keep getting into trouble for speaking my mind on here!

It's not funny getting whacked on the snout with a rolled up newspaper....

Bad doggie!

Big bad doggie!

Basket!

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195284057093

I have messaged the seller regarding This O gauge model being unused, wear  centre rail pickup and marks on wheels indicating otherwise, could have least removed the fluff from tender axles! 

It seems like a fair price though and the photos are decent enough, still waiting for a response,, 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Looking for some Bachmann Blue/Grey MK1's a few weeks back either SO or SK there were the usual inflated ebay prices although not as bad as MK2 SO prices in Blue/Grey. Anyway I decided to to have a good look around the websites of some of the smaller model shops, in this case it really paid off and I managed to obtain 3 new Bachmann SK for a much better price than the ones on ebay.

The only down side is the time taken to search around some of the websites of the smaller model shops are frankly awful and you have to scratch your head to navigate around some of them, mind the same can be said for one of the more well known model shops in my view which as a result doesn't get my business, but anyway certainly may be worth a look before resorting to ebay.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, John M Upton said:

1980's shorty Hornby Mk3 with football stadium spotlights in part of the coach and a free magic wand for forty sheets anyone?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225120189857

Not to mention some of the most serious light bleed ever seen in railway modelling and passengers who need a full radiation suit and glasses to protect themselves from the light...

Someone went to Ollivanders!

• Funny 2

14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It doesn't, but if the ballast is low-mounted enough it should improve stability and 'road holding', which might be what the seller is trying to describe!  It will also improve the wheelsets' rolling performance and free-running.

Those lights are insanely bright, though, unless the photo is very badly overexposed.  Overbright lighting on layouts and in vehicles is one of my soap boxes; they are usually far too bright, and one is left with the impression that it's more about 'look at my lights, aren't I clever, look, look how bright they are, look!!!' than it is about portraying realism.  Real lights, even bright modern ones, do not intrude much upon the senses on any reasonably bright day, and steam age coach lights were barely visible even at night in a reasonably well lit station platform. 

Furthermore, there is often a tendency to have too many lights? 

• Agree 3

This is new. Not listed as “rare” or even as being DCC sound fitted. So I am left wondering … what makes this model worth just 5p less than £600?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304278106916?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=6iGTqhPSQNS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Steve S

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 19/08/2022 at 19:50, The Johnster said:

Those lights are insanely bright, though, unless the photo is very badly overexposed.  Overbright lighting on layouts and in vehicles is one of my soap boxes; they are usually far too bright, and one is left with the impression that it's more about 'look at my lights, aren't I clever, look, look how bright they are, look!!!' than it is about portraying realism.  Real lights, even bright modern ones, do not intrude much upon the senses on any reasonably bright day, and steam age coach lights were barely visible even at night in a reasonably well lit station platform. 

I recall the coach lighting in the "steam age" as being barely adequate to read an evening newspaper at night*, let alone the morning paper on the way into work in the winter!  At least the low level of lighting tended to obscure the grime...

A model loco that has realistic lights is the Heljan Metrovic Co-Bo, with dim running lights that got slated for being TOO dim!

* And this was on an ex-LMS/BR Class 503 EMU.

• Like 1

If the item IS R3971 (though the box isn't shown) then it will be insanely expensive. Its "limited edition" with Hornby Dublo branding, DCC Ready and has a diecast body.  Various online vendors have it listed for the same or higher amount.

One online vendor has R3971 listed for £699.  I was contemplating getting a Pentax D-70 DSLR camera body over the weekend, that was also £699, but I decided I couldn't afford it.  How is a relatively "simple" locomotive model worth as much as a highly complex DSLR?

And another thing....

How's this for ebay madness?

Steampunk "wristwatch"

or

Buy it now

From the same vendor...

Edited by Hroth
Some more bits and bobs.
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think that if you clear your viewed items cache on Ebay as a buyer it also removes the viewing from the sellers perspective too.

So you could view an item and then watch it, clearing the view list will remove the view from everyone but leave it as a watched item.

I've a couple of items that are slow moving and each week I watch the viewing numbers go up and down throughout the week.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

22 hours ago, Hroth said:

If the item IS R3971 (though the box isn't shown) then it will be insanely expensive. Its "limited edition" with Hornby Dublo branding, DCC Ready and has a diecast body.  Various online vendors have it listed for the same or higher amount.

One online vendor has R3971 listed for £699.  I was contemplating getting a Pentax D-70 DSLR camera body over the weekend, that was also £699, but I decided I couldn't afford it.  How is a relatively "simple" locomotive model worth as much as a highly complex DSLR?

And another thing....

How's this for ebay madness?

Steampunk "wristwatch"

or

Buy it now

From the same vendor...

The image is a "stock" image from another site.

Love the watch - bid at the moment £4.20 which seems reasonable but buy now at £99.99 you can put it where the sun doesn't shine....

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

13 minutes ago, Bill Radford said:

The image is a "stock" image from another site.

Love the watch - bid at the moment £4.20 which seems reasonable but buy now at £99.99 you can put it where the sun doesn't shine....

Not much use as a sundial up there...

• Funny 6

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Not much use as a sundial up there...

Agreed, but the compass might help in navigating a retreat....

Due South, Cap'n!!!!

Edited by Hroth
Directions...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

On 19/08/2022 at 10:05, Re6/6 said:

Thank you for that. I needed a box for a Hornby mk3 carriage.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 17/08/2022 at 00:39, 5944 said:

It kept me entertained for a few minutes earlier as well. I mean, £56 for a badly painted, partly dismantled, Hornby Dublo A4 (without tender), but at least the box is fair condition! You can get a decent model on eBay for £70.

Agreed there are some overpriced horrors, but I’ve managed to pick up a couple of absolute genuine bargains in N Gauge from the Liverpool retailer’s 2nd hand listings, so it is worth keeping browsing.

Top finds over the last 18 months were a CJM class 89 in InterCity swallow livery, with Saturn chassis which needed no more than a wheel clean (was listed as body loose on chassis but not noticeable in day to day use) for £167 (have seen these go for over £400 on eBay) and a Farish N gauge class 101 “Express Parcels” 2 car power twin DMU for $65. This is the Chinese tooling, DCC ready version with a motor in each car. The DMU turned out to be DCC fitted when it arrived - unheard of prices for a modern tooling unit in perfect cosmetic and working order with two working decoders thrown in too.

Cheers

Tom.

Edited by tiger
Typo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, tiger said:

Agreed there are some overpriced horrors, but I’ve managed to pick up a couple of absolute genuine bargains in N Gauge from the Liverpool retailer’s 2nd hand listings, so it is worth keeping browsing.

Top finds over the last 18 months were a CJM class 89 in InterCity swallow livery, with Saturn chassis which needed no more than a wheel clean (was listed as body loose on chassis but not noticeable in day to day use) for £167 (have seen these go for over £400 on eBay) and a Farish N gauge class 101 “Express Parcels” 2 car power twin DMU for $65. This is the Chinese tooling, DCC ready version with a motor in each car. The DMU turned out to be DCC fitted when it arrived - unheard of prices for a modern tooling unit in perfect cosmetic and working order with two working decoders thrown in too.

Cheers

Tom.

I would have to agree with you there. Bargains can be found. The best two I have bagged in 00 gauge are; an as new Bachmann class 24 in rtc livery for £91, rrp, £180. The second is a Bachmann mpv for £99.99, hattons had one for £150, they tend to go ebay for over a ton. £130- £150.

Edited by PieGuyRob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold