RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

12 hours ago, 40152 said:

Gosh darn and there I was thinking that an exotic dancer performing with her pet python would make a novel lineside cameo 😳

It would. You’ll need to find a better figure though. Go to modelu with a willing appropriately attired lady and her snake for scanning 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

12 hours ago, 40152 said:

Gosh darn and there I was thinking that an exotic dancer performing with her pet python would make a novel lineside cameo 😳

Oh I don't know, a little surgery and a touch of filler here and there, and hey presto! The python lady of your dreams! 🤓

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Oh I don't know, a little surgery and a touch of filler here and there, and hey presto! The python lady of your dreams! 🤓

Looking at what you're starting from, possibly a nightmare...

• Funny 4

27 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Looking at what you're starting from, possibly a nightmare...

Rather like the scene five minutes after the movie still I posted, where Salma Hayek turns from hot Hispanic exotic dancer into a lizard faced vampire?

Actually, that sounds exactly like when I got married....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Rather like the scene five minutes after the movie still I posted, where Salma Hayek turns from hot Hispanic exotic dancer into a lizard faced vampire?

Actually, that sounds exactly like when I got married....

I assume that both you and the vicar(?) had to undergo years of therapy to get over the shock!?

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

It's a nice looking model, but when you read the description it states that it's 3 rail... So I'm guessing that the motor, pickups and wheels are going to be pretty antiquated and the market rather limited.

Plenty of such items around for about a fifth of the price.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's a nice looking model, but when you read the description it states that it's 3 rail... So I'm guessing that the motor, pickups and wheels are going to be pretty antiquated and the market rather limited.

Plenty of such items around for about a fifth of the price.

It's fitted with a skate, which usually means it was designed for stud-contact. I'm not sure if the skate would work with 3-rail?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It's fitted with a skate, which usually means it was designed for stud-contact. I'm not sure if the skate would work with 3-rail?

I was only going by the description I'm afraid. Three rail or stud contact, it's still firmly in the 1950s technology wise. Probably got an old Leeds motor or the heater motor from a Vauxhall Wyvern in the boiler.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2022 at 19:49, Paul H Vigor said:

Skates work fine with 3-rail, but they do have to be made accurately.  The requirement is that both ends are sloped leading into the skate to cope with variation in the height of pins, that it is longer than the longest gap between studs (brass pins connected by wire under the ballast) and that it is wider than any variation off-centre of the studs (they may be so placed over pointwork), and the skate must remain horizontal as it rises and falls.  The heads of studs can be lower than the running rails on plain track, but be higher over pointwork in order to avoid shorting..

Studs tend to be self cleaning as the friction from passing skates cleans them.  However the less realistic centre 3rd rail commonly used earlier was a lot more susceptible to dirt.  I know a 3-rail layout with a lead-filled track cleaning wagon fitted with a skate made from a coarse file - cutting and bending the ends of the fle to skate shape is an interesting technical challenge.

To clean the running rails, another crude technique is used, requiring three similar locos, one of which faces the other way round. When power is applied this configuration causes the two locos facing the same way to drag the other one slowly with its wheels spinning and sparks flying! 

• Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Can’t see the join.  Oh wait…

Cheers

Darius

I can see the joint but not the point - in fact I wonder if the maker was smoking a joint at the point of conjoint, or was perhaps under gunpoint? Either way, I shan't be visiting a cashpoint.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

I see the price-gougers are still out in force advertising purple West Country “QE2”s for silly money on eBay…

Top Ten Highest Prices to date, in traditional TOTPs reverse order are…

#10 £649.95 (free postage) from belah196 * BIN  

#9 £675.00 (free postage) from luv-my-bargains * BIN

#8 £679.00 (free postage) from harbyc * plus photo of item in box with Certificate of Authenticity 0421 BIN

#7 £695.00 (+£11.15 p&p) from mdtotallytrains-8 BIN - a listing with actual photos of the actual item, although not removed from the box

#6 £749.99 (free postage) from hey_coco_boy * BIN - although this listing has a photo of an outer cardboard box as well … and the same seller has another listing priced at £499.99 * starting bid but without the outer cardboard box photo … so apparently that extra photo justifies a £300 price hike as a BIN offer!!

#5 £750.00 (free postage) from simplesolutions * BIN - who appear to have two on offer!
#4 £799.95 (free postage) from jaffatrains * BIN

#3 £799.99 (free postage) from harleywestsussex * BIN

#2 £799.99 (+£5.99 p&p) from simply.models * BIN

#1 £926.78 (free postage - from

Italy!!) from domenicob-connect * BIN

Listing shows stock Hornby images rather than that of an actual item

BIN - Buy It Now … most are open to offers

I have contacted sellers #10, #9, #6, #5, #4, #3, #2 and #1 politely asking for photographic evidence of actually having a physical item to sell. I have not commented upon the obscene price hikes they are attempting!

I shall post their responses (if any) on here, for the collective amusement of fellow eBay Madness followers!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

Response from Belah196

Rest assured I do have the loco and have now uploaded a few extra photos.

There are now two additional photos, of some external packaging…

I feel so reassured…

Three stock images and two photos of packaging … let me send you that £649.95 post haste …

🙄

Steve S

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

Response from simply.models

Hey Stevey, yes i used the Hornby pictures as this is new and unopened. I dont want to open it to take the pictures as thatll make it new-other

Funny - to my mind that would make it new-exists.

Seller must have the box-obsessed collectors in mind to be so precious about opening the box, but could have shown the actual box itself in his/hee possession rather than totally stock photos!

Flogging it to collectors as a limited edition must also be what justifies the £730 price hike on the RRP of £269

🙄

• Like 3

Response from simplesolutions

Thanks for your enquiry & interest. I can assure you I have these 2 items Steve. Both factory sealed models are each in a cardboard box hence I haven’t taken them out of those boxes. I will happily share some pictures of these for you if that helps. I do have one of these models myself which I haven’t removed from it’s sealed sleeved which I can show you too. Being honest, I probably never will as it’s such an incredibly special model. If you can give me 15-20 mins, I’ll get some snaps over to you if that’s ok? In terms of honesty & transparency, please review my feedback. I take a great pride in selling quality products & customer service is at the heart of everything I do too.

BW

Kevin

Kevin followed that up with the following photos (screenshots from eBay - may be too large for a single post!)

E5498F32-BB1D-40D4-88C9-3D077ADF002E.jpeg

Well, that is proof that it exists, as no stock photos show bedding in the background!

To be continued…

Edited by SteveyDee68
Weird formatting
  • Like 3

More photo evidence …

4C7BF7D8-9A23-4DEC-82C3-EBF246D49A37.jpeg.b2f5cba39e1a130b4b732e991d068e5c.jpeg

027D6A8A-AEEC-4CE3-8C27-94B828347624.jpeg.2c242f34a173694243297d78c6dc7594.jpeg

12B935BA-706A-46B5-AD17-8A7E93481DF7.jpeg.877fb00723acc8ddbc547533cb541d93.jpeg

3EE31773-790F-4919-B6A2-4595E228C9DA.jpeg.c42bfd59185b77566c46b5b9a06a82e8.jpeg

So, simplesolutions does seem to have the goods to sell.

Also revealed that he purchased three from Hornby, so at full RRP of £269 he paid £807 for three locos.

Selling one model at £750 covers almost all of his upfront costs (just £57 out of pocket) whereas the second sale bags him £493 profit* plus he still has his own model to cherish, snug in its original packaging because he’s not opening it “as it’s such an incredibly special model” (or, wearing my cynical head for a moment, until he thinks he can achieve say £1500 for it?)

Yes, it’s the simple economics of supply and demand, but am I imagining it or did the prices all jump up last Thursday evening?

Steve S

• Like 3