Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, 40F said:

A lot of Rails prices seem to be pick a figure out of the air, and their descriptions are vague at best.

It’s their new member of staff - please cut them some slack.*

Steve S

* If you believe that, might I interest you in purchasing London Bridge…

• Funny 6

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Steve S

Ah yes, the high-churn Rails intern.  I wonder how many are employed a week?

• Funny 5

9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Steve S

I already have London Bridge , any chance of Westminster ?????

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 40F said:

I already have London Bridge , any chance of Westminster ?????

I already have 4 stations and everytime I play, I get offered the same ones again! Mind you everyone keeps giving me $200!

• Funny 5

8 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I already have 4 stations and everytime I play, I get offered the same ones again! Mind you everyone keeps giving me $200!

Unless you get the Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 card!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

I won't go into too many details in case the Mods think I an selling through this post.

For two sperate 7 day auctions I have listed a limited edition train pack and neither time did it sell in that form. So I have now listed the rolling stock separately, without the box, certificate etc. Guess what today (with about 24 hours to go) the bids have now exceeded the previously asked price for the set.  I guess this is not one person buying the whole set. Also the views for the set, fully described, were very low, whereas the separate items have many more views. I will report tomorrow giving more details and the final outcome.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This may be because sets and train packs are a pre-determined collection of stock and track, and while some people coincidentally happen to want that particular pre-determination most will only really be after certain items.  Hence the greater customer interest when it is broken down into individual items, as you are more likely to attract interest from a greater number of potential customers.  It's harder work for the seller, of course, but the rewards are higher.

No such thing as a free lunch.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, MyRule1 said:

I won't go into too many details in case the Mods think I an selling through this post.

For two sperate 7 day auctions I have listed a limited edition train pack and neither time did it sell in that form. So I have now listed the rolling stock separately, without the box, certificate etc. Guess what today (with about 24 hours to go) the bids have now exceeded the previously asked price for the set.  I guess this is not one person buying the whole set. Also the views for the set, fully described, were very low, whereas the separate items have many more views. I will report tomorrow giving more details and the final outcome.

Quite possibly, but it could stil be somebody wanting the full set.  So it failed to sell twice, third time lucky - that can be two bidders fighting over an item, neither of whom happened to search for it last week.  I've had things I've listed repeatedly for over a year that eventually sold with a competitive auction!

Another possibility is that somebody did a search with a maximum price the first time, so they didn't see the set.  This week they find one item because of the lower price, then they search for what else the vendor is offering, deciding it's a fair price.  Combining postage tends to encourage multiple sales to a single individual.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Don't forget to put the empty box on eBay,

Although if you aren't perfectly obviously selling just the box, be prepared to get a further mention in this thread :)

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Always worth the entertainment value of ‘seller’s other items’ with this sort of listing.  He has a ‘Southern bogie luggage van’ made up of Mainline/Bachmann GW fruit van bodies painted green on a coach chassis.  Looks bit like a Siphon G.  

Funfunfunfunfun.   

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

From the same seller "Southern Kit built"

Although the more cynical of us might point out the Triang branding clearly visible underneath.

How a re-roofed Triang GWR clerestory qualifies as a kit I'm not quite sure.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374892069046?

From the underneath shot, it looks like they started out as maroon vehicles too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

From the underneath shot, it looks like they started out as maroon vehicles too.

IIRC the clerestory brake thirds were issued in Midland / LMS maroon, LNER teak, red and off white in the Railway Children set and variously red, green and matt black for engineering department trains.

Late issues have the GWR brown and cream about right, but the early ones were painted a shade of yellow that can only be compared to the colour of vanilla ice cream bricks from back when ice cream still contained colouring and / or asbestos...

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

The "teak" brake thirds and composite clerestories were mainly issued in the "Mainline Steam" set along with a Margate B12 in LNER green and may also have been available separately.

R1032_3145990_Qty1_1.jpg.532d73e14b6e544e8bafd5502189484f.jpg

The cream on the early Triang GWR clerestories matched that on the contemporary Wrenn equivalents, though I don't know which came first!

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The "teak" brake thirds and composite clerestories were mainly issued in the "Mainline Steam" set along with a Margate B12 in LNER green and may also have been available separately.

They're the ones to go for for cut'n'shut projects as the plastic is much more amenable than that of the original Triang-issued ones, which is rather brittle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

They're the ones to go for for cut'n'shut projects as the plastic is much more amenable than that of the original Triang-issued ones, which is rather brittle.

As are the maroon version, another bonus of the later ones including Hornby reissues in GWR colours is that the bogies are clipped in, rather than the old brass tube rivets, which require considerable effort to remove.

I do manage okay with the early plastic, but it requires a decent razor saw.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

As we've been talking about kit built coaches, these things are hardly a bargain.

I give you the first gostude gem of the week:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374593117779?

In the world of G that's not too bad, I'm sure he's done better than that elsewhere!

Mike.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

As we've been talking about kit built coaches, these things are hardly a bargain.

I give you the first gostude gem of the week:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374593117779?

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

In the world of G that's not too bad, I'm sure he's done better than that elsewhere!

Mike.

3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

A plus point: they have been fitted with replacement brass buffers! 😉

Looks as if they've been painted with a tar brush. 

• Funny 6