RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Carl,

I was watching Toplights for a while. Already had some but wanted more.

I came close to selling mine on ebay so I could buy 2.

They are still available, yet someone was paying 80 odd GBP while curent price is in the 40's

Persevere, you will find you can buy well BUT always double check if it is available currently and how much.

Khris

I tend to check the going price before I bid. Up to about 18 months ago I was usually succesfull with my bids but recently Im having no luck.

If you are consistently outbid on certain items I would suggest you may be undervaluing them, and the current going rate is more than you think they are worth. I have been outbid several times recently, including today, on kit-built Nu-cast GWR 1361 class locos. They go for only a few quid more than i feel I want to pay, but are clearly worth that bit extra, and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and bid a bit higher, as Weymouth in the 30s needs one! Or I buy the kit and have a go at extending my skills

Pete

I bid what i think its worth after gauging the going rate, i dont go high because i look at it as there will always be another comes along at some point. So that doesnt bother me, its when someone bids more on a readily available model than it costs new. And there always seem to be two of these people bidding. I recently bid on a couple of Bachmann wagons, old but still available at £7 each from Hattons. I went to £5.50 each which with the postage worked out at £7 each. They went for £9 and £11 !!! Daft.

• RMweb Gold

If you are consistently outbid on certain items I would suggest you may be undervaluing them, and the current going rate is more than you think they are worth. I have been outbid several times recently, including today, on kit-built Nu-cast GWR 1361 class locos. They go for only a few quid more than i feel I want to pay, but are clearly worth that bit extra, and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and bid a bit higher, as Weymouth in the 30s needs one! Or I buy the kit and have a go at extending my skills

Pete

I would be mighty reluctant to buy a built kit on EBay. If it has been done badly, it can be more trouble to sort out than to build one from the kit. I would only buy a built kit from a known competent builder or from somewhere where I could see it properly (running).

• RMweb Gold

I bid what i think its worth after gauging the going rate, i dont go high because i look at it as there will always be another comes along at some point. So that doesnt bother me, its when someone bids more on a readily available model than it costs new. And there always seem to be two of these people bidding. I recently bid on a couple of Bachmann wagons, old but still available at £7 each from Hattons. I went to £5.50 each which with the postage worked out at £7 each. They went for £9 and £11 !!! Daft.

Carl is right. Someone quoted to me several recent cases of kits selling at £40 on Ebay which are still available new at £23!

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what the final price was but there was some MJT RCH comensations units for 2 wagons at £9.36 plus postage. You can get them from Dart castings for £6.50 which is enough for 4 wagons!

I saw them too.A pack of 3 went for £7 but the pack of 2 went for £9.38 both plus postage.Bizarre.

• RMweb Premium

As reported in the bargains section - this is still available at Hattons for £119............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-CLASS-57-FREIGHTLINER-DCC-SOUND-/271050553756?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f1bdf399c

Mind you, the BIN prices vary from £152 to an eye-watering £209.50

Cheers,

Mick

Whenever I'm selling some of my old stock on ebay I always keep a weather eye on this column, in the hope that someone is about to pay well over the odds for my unwanted items. Alas I am always disappointed. :no:

You're not alone.

Sometimes I wonder about some of these auction prices ?

Identical dimensions to mine, hardly 'show' size for a roundy roundy.

Yes but who decides what show size should be ?

Edited by amdaley

Guest Belgian

I'm somewhat gobsmacked by the price that Portescap/escap RG4s fetch these days. A year or so ago I was looking for one and they were going for around £50-00 or so . This one fetched over a ton! There are two somewhat woebegone ones here and here the first of which doesn't even have the final gear: i wonder what they will make?

The latter two seem somewhat caked in old grease, but, since it's a good few years since the last were manufactured, aren't even 'new in the box' ones like the first mentioned getting a little stiff? I thought they weren't too good with DCC or even feedback controllers.

JE

• RMweb Gold

I'm somewhat gobsmacked by the price that Portescap/escap RG4s fetch these days. A year or so ago I was looking for one and they were going for around £50-00 or so . This one fetched over a ton! There are two somewhat woebegone ones here and here the first of which doesn't even have the final gear: i wonder what they will make?

The latter two seem somewhat caked in old grease, but, since it's a good few years since the last were manufactured, aren't even 'new in the box' ones like the first mentioned getting a little stiff? I thought they weren't too good with DCC or even feedback controllers.

JE

I feel that they're somewhat overrated. I bought one new, at great expense, when they were available for a 7mm loco kit but it's disappointingly quite noisy. It might 'improve with running in'. It's a 'late' model which aren't as good as the 'earlier' versions. I wouldn't want to risk buying on Ebay for that reason.

I guess you're right really. Although the quality levels I'd expect to be better though.

Yes you're right. I can understand where you're coming from.You would expect a show layout to be a bit better perhaps but that just opens another tin of worms.

Who decided what show quality is ?

Maybe if the seller left out the "Show" part in the description it might be better ?

• Like 1

I admit that I posted it as I didnt consider it 'show' quality, nothing to do with size. I felt that the seller was maybe trying to get a bit more for it by implying it was an ex exhibition regular.

Cav