EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Not looking too bad, when compared to the real thing

http://www.flickr.co...N08/7468937512/

If it was Gostu, it's be £300 BIN............

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Um... why would you do this?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2ec3f695cf

Granted, some people buy a loco just for the chassis, but why spray it silver?

I'm not sure that's been re-painted.

I'm sure I remember seeing some photo's of the pre-production Heljan 33, that were silver. It was on the Antics website if I remember correctly.

Not madness per se, but it would be a brave soul that took this period piece on:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43b675f3cb

Note - the description pulls no punches, made me smile!

Now this Lima 'Tat' from our old fiend "Go Stude" is actually beautifully weathered and presented,* from what I can make out; but when will he stop erroneously describing Lima's RTR output as 'Kit Built' ? Have a word....

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d048a4ee5

* if you can excuse positioning of the nameplate, of course!

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now this Lima 'Tat' from our old fiend "Go Stude" is actually beautifully weathered and presented,* from what I can make out; but when will he stop erroneously describing Lima's RTR output as 'Kit Built' ? Have a word....

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d048a4ee5

* if you can excuse positioning of the nameplate, of course!

Not to mention the fact he calls it MIB. I'm not exactly au fait with all these modern abbreviations. Does this mean Mess In Box after the way it's been weathered?

• Like 1

Not to mention the fact he calls it MIB. I'm not exactly au fait with all these modern abbreviations. Does this mean Mess In Box after the way it's been weathered?

I think it actually stands for Mummy I'm Bad!!

Kitbuilt!!!? Its not a kit and there was no building involved. Why?

MIB means 'Mint in Box'.

Here we are treading dangerously close to infringement of the 'Trade Descriptions Act', as there is no way in which anything that has undergone weathering, however well done, can be considered to be in 'mint' condition. (Possibly if 'Factory Weathered', but even that is contentious IMHO.)

• Like 1

I don't think he sees the header as part of the description, just a string of letters designed to get into the maximum number of searches.

In his actual description he calls it "Excellent used" which I would not argue with, it would probably raise 30 or 40 in an auction.

Keith

Guest Belgian

He's at it again. I know these* were popular, but he says he has 'more than 10' of them (I wonder where I've seen that phrase before?!!) so he evidently expected them to be popular and bought up a lifetime's supply. But who'd want more than one anyway? A distinctively-weathered wagon is very much a one-off. (And, by the way, I don't mean that I think he bought a whole load for himself, I mean he won't get many multiple buys from others. Anyway, the wagons appear quite regularly at normal prices).

Does he ever actually sell anything?

JE

* To save you looking at it, it's Bachmann's 37-377F BR 16 T STEEL MINERAL WAGON with END DOOR B100925 WEATHERED

Does he ever actually sell anything?

JE

Unfortunately he does, some of the time.

He outbid me at an auction a few months ago (a proper one with a bloke with a hammer). It was for a few Bachmann/Tower 0 Gauge Mk1 coaches, which I wanted for my layout, and I put in a fair bids - even a little over the going rate just so I could get them all together in one day. Needless to say, he outbid me, determined to have them, or for me not to have them, I don't know which.

I'm very happy to report he still has them for sale after all these months for a stupid price nobody in their right mind would pay. I hope he doesn't sell them. He's since bid against me (and won) on a couple other models I've been after for ages. I'll keep what I think of him to myself, but I'm sure you can guess...

• RMweb Gold

He outbid me at an auction a few months ago (a proper one with a bloke with a hammer). It was for a few Bachmann/Tower 0 Gauge Mk1 coaches, which I wanted for my layout, and I put in a fair bids - even a little over the going rate just so I could get them all together in one day. Needless to say, he outbid me, determined to have them, or for me not to have them, I don't know which.

I'm very happy to report he still has them for sale after all these months for a stupid price nobody in their right mind would pay. I hope he doesn't sell them. He's since bid against me (and won) on a couple other models I've been after for ages. I'll keep what I think of him to myself, but I'm sure you can guess...

He has a habit - from what I've seen at live auctions - of buying high and there are several dealers who carry on in that way leaving me with the impression that they are adopting the tactic simply to stop other people (in some cases other dealers) getting the lot. There's one chap who buys 0 gauge locos (for sale onwards) and he always follows the tactic of outbidding any potential competition even if it means paying absolutely stupid prices, sometimes going over £1,000 on locos that rightly shouldn't fetch more than half of that at the very most.

The problem is that buyers like this usually seem to have the ability to lay out large sums of money and are prepared to do so in order to get the lots. Regrettably - in some respects - the 'economic situation' doesn't yet appear to have affected many of them although I have heard of one who has dropped out of buying at auction because he can't sell at a profit.

• Like 3

But I don't see an issue with that. It is the natural lore of auction to be outbid by someone (or to outbid someone else). In the normal course an individual buyer will always outbid a trader as a trader has to turn a profit (quite possibly selling to that same individual). The issue here is that somehow this guy is able to turn a profit on items that the "knowledgeable" buyer would not pay. There seems quite a few of these on ebay to the annoyance of many, who will mark up an item to an unrealistic level in the hope of an "ignorant" or "desperate" buyer will take the bait. They seem to be happy to take the re-listing fees and possibly the high investment in stock levels or slow turnover. But they appear to be still profiting from the model. I'm also not sure this is a feature of ebay, the same thing happens with other auction items, antiques, cars even houses (or did when house prices were climbing at 10%+ a year).

As long as there is nothing illegal going on (and there is absolutely no suggestion there is) he is just taking advantage of the situation. Buying something at a price then selling it at a higher price is simple business.

• Like 1

Every item is worth what it is worth to an individual, and each individual is different. I regularly get outbid on eBay items that start or sell for way more than they are worth, Lima Class 31s are a prime example at the moment. To me they are worth £20 tops, and I've picked up 3 at less than that price. But people are strange, sellers will start their auction for a Lima 31 at £25 and people will bid £30 for them.

Can't knock the seller for trying, as he thinks it will sell. Cant knock the buyer as he has obviously bid what he feels the model is worth TO HIM. There are plenty of other models exactly the same on eBay and at auction houses, it's a buyers market at the moment so take advantage of that. The "rip-off trader" will eventually end up with a bucketful of stock he can't sell without taking a hit, and the economic situation isn't going to change in his favour for another 4 years or so. Annoying for us normal buyers, but in another 6 months the market will be flooded with these items at cheaper prices, and we can buy them knowing that arrogant trader is taking a hit on them, always makes me smile!!

On another note - Lima CL31 are averaging £25 at the moment, but a Hornby Class 47 in BR blue with working lights didn't get a single bid at a £30 starting price. Shows that things are only worth what they are worth when a person actually wants them!!

Mark

• RMweb Premium

obviously some people have lots of money BUT the simple law of cash means if you buy too high eventually you tend to run out of money, There are a number of over-priced items on ebay which have been on offer for a year or so - so someone has a lot of money locked into things people won't buy at an inflated price.

Interestingly though the same sellers sell other items for much lower than what woudl be see seen as a true market price elsewhere.......

I agree with both of you, Kenton and Mark, that an item will sell for what somebody is prepared to pay, and that's a fair market.

It's just personally galling that those particular coaches, plus the locos since, could have had a proper home by now. To be fair to him (because of the price he paid when he outbid me) he is not making a huge mark-up on the coaches, especially when you factor in the boxes he will ship them in, the postage price that he is including free, etc.

He and I were the last people bidding and I don't think it would have mattered to him where I stopped - to the degree that he still has them for sale after quite a few months. His loss, and I live for another day and another deal somewhere else. Unless he gets there first!

• Like 1