EBay madness

Marcyg

Well, fellow RMWebbers, having become increasingly irate over the evening at the Circus of Crooks running our country, I think I actually managed to reel it in before posting the following to cncsports (whoever they may be)...

Hi

Don’t know if you realise, but these items are *so* rare that you are selling the powered car out of the set separately in your following listing!

A little obvious, as the three car set was produced with a single manufacturers number, which you have given on both of your listings.

Why not put the two together and sell the set as originally intended as a three car set?

Incidentally, they *would* be more rare if they had their original box, which you don’t have.

Or do you?

Because that is where the reference number is found!?!

If you think they are worth £139.98 in total, put that up as your BIN price.

More likely to sell as the three with bidding starting at £69.99

Good luck

SteveyDee68

Now, I might be wrong about the single manufacturer serial number for the set and, if so, am happy to be corrected here by those more knowledgeable than myself. Meanwhile, hopefully, the seller might get an inkling that the game is up?

If only I could have given a link to the sale like everyone else does here - I would have suggested a campaign of messages to the seller (nothing threatening or nasty, just pointing out that his/her shenanigans has been spotted!)

HOURS OF FUN!

PS

I cannot believe somebody paid £2000+ for a Hornby "Murdoch" loco, no matter how rare! 

PPS

How come Chard hasn't been approached to model (for) a wall calendar for 2021?!

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, coastalview said:

"... WE HAVE A FEW OF THESE IN STOCK ..." on a par with "We've got lumps of it round the back!"

• Funny 5

21 minutes ago, coastalview said:

Ah, but it's the RARE one from March 1961 when Airfix couldn't get hold of their regular supply of plastic bags and had to source a bag that was a quarter of an inch bigger. A MUST for the Serious Collector. Anyone who doesn't have this in his collection of mint never to be opened model kits is just a weekend collector, a tourist even.

I'm a serious collector, my mum made me a certificate and everything.... :jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

On the topic of eBay Madness. I saw a listing that was place bid or make an offer. So naturally I made and offer and I was going back and forth with the seller submitting offers and counter offers trying to agree on a price. Then some MORON places a bid, cancelling out the offers. Now I have to sit here for 6 Days and wait for the auction to play out... Hoping it doesn't go above what I would have offered...

Why do people bid super early?

IT'S GOT OVER 6 DAYS LEFT?! :angry:

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

On the topic of eBay Madness. I saw a listing that was place bid or make an offer. So naturally I made and offer and I was going back and forth with the seller submitting offers and counter offers trying to agree on a price. Then some MORON places a bid, cancelling out the offers. Now I have to sit here for 6 Days and wait for the auction to play out... Hoping it doesn't go above what I would have offered...

Bidding, on an auction site. Who'd have thought it. Hardly madness is it?

Perhaps up your offer?

This is how markets work to determine the value of something, it seems childish to complain when it's within your control to either make a better offer, a higher bid or watch it and nip in in the dying seconds. If you don't want to pay the going rate for something it's hardly reasonable to complain about. You aren't automatically entitled to bargains.

Edited by Iskra
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, Iskra said:

This is how markets work to determine the value of something, it seems childish to complain when it's within your control to either make a better offer, a higher bid or watch it and nip in in the dying seconds.

This is my point. Why bid with nearly a week on the clock and only submit the minimum? Never bid early because you won't get it... Nip in at the very end, like you said.

As for saying it's childish to complain, I nearly had this nailed. The seller started the auction at £30 and he offered me £37 after a bit of haggling, I would've accepted that as well. But that got cut off by this clown. Why bid when they could've put an offer as well?

• RMweb Premium

25 minutes ago, Iskra said:

Bidding, on an auction site. Who'd have thought it. Hardly madness is it?

Perhaps up your offer?

This is how markets work to determine the value of something, it seems childish to complain when it's within your control to either make a better offer, a higher bid or watch it and nip in in the dying seconds. If you don't want to pay the going rate for something it's hardly reasonable to complain about. You aren't automatically entitled to bargains.

Once a bid is placed all offers are void, so you can only make a better one by bidding.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Possibly they bid that early in the hope of scaring off everyone else?

Not when they only put in the starting price that the seller put out. It started at £30

Maybe if they'd bid high it might have worked, like £50, at which point I'd have looked elsewhere...

EBay madness or bargains?

I'm watching out for 4-CEPS on eBay. I actually won one - second hand but as new - a short while ago at the ridiculous price of £72 ... and had to pull out of the purchase after discovering my furlough had stopped three weeks earlier, unbeknownst to me! I hate pulling out of auctions, even more so when I saw others selling for £79, £104 and £85! All still bargains compared to the £300+ asked for new versions.

Now, prices are back to around £140, or £175 BIN which is still cheaper than new, which are also listed on eBay at upwards of £425!

I suppose the question is, why such fluctuations?

And why didn't I have the cash to pick up a Bulleid 1co-co1 diesel for £125 when the opportunity presented itself?! (The cry of every modeller since eBay started!)

Steve S

PS

I had also bought a 4-CEP from my local model shop for £160 (bargain price for a shop) and had paid half of it, and had to return it for the same reason as cancelling my eBay win... to explain, for every item I buy at a 'bargain' price on eBay, I reason to myself that I can afford to pay slightly more for something to support my local model shop (law of averages and all that). Of course, on returning it to the shop, I really hated the idea of taking money back ... so ended up chucking another £10 in and buying a brand new Bachmann Class 03 instead! (And what a beauty it is! :laugh_mini2:)

HOURS OF FUN!

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I may be wrong but... for £7.. am I just looking at a pile of match sticks, glued onto a piece of cardboard ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAL-TIMBER-LOADS-2-For-00-Gauge-Bachmann-Mainline-Coal-mineral-Wagons/333768564362?hash=item4db6281e8a:g:XJEAAOSwi5xeGhNr

Not very well stacked either. There are approved methods of loading pit props. Seen a lot of this cr@p lately.

With the postage it's almost £10 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

It’s a dog eat cat world out there !

Bearing in mind some people pay 3x more for things that are still available new from the manufacturer it’s “no holds barred”

• Like 2
  • Agree 4