EBay madness

Marcyg

49 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

So is a head on car crash. 

What you getting at, doc? :jester:

The possible 'once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity to own an Irish engine made by Bachmann! You might even sell it on eBay!

"Don't worry, Rodney. This time next year, we'll be millionaires!" ;)

• Funny 5

I see, that was down to my lack of knowledge about Bachmann products. Also, the only thing that I know for certain about Irish engines is that the "Irish" engines that starred in Oh Mr Porter, weren't.

I remember someone bidding years ago on a pallet of Makita battery drills in a disposal auction. The new plastic cases still had their card sleeves all intact and the lot was shrink wrapped in place on a pallet. 

Unfortunately the "unopened" boxes contained nothing but a lot of sixteen millimetre bolts.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

47 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I see, that was down to my lack of knowledge about Bachmann products. Also, the only thing that I know for certain about Irish engines is that the "Irish" engines that starred in Oh Mr Porter, weren't.

"(Dave O'Toole) "You're wasting your time."

(Will Hay) "Well, what are you doing?"

(Dave O'Toole) "Just watching you wasting your time.""

;)

• Funny 4

10 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"(Dave O'Toole) "You're wasting your time."

(Will Hay) "Well, what are you doing?"

(Dave O'Toole) "Just watching you wasting your time.""

;)

Will Hay: Yes, well you waste your time and I'll waste mine! 

Never gets old. It's the standard greeting between myself and several friends if we visit any of the group who are working on something.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 14/11/2020 at 22:50, kernowtim said:

It's for a good cause, perhaps that's why it sold?  :scratchhead:

It appears to have managed to wear out a Meccano gear. That takes some doing! Badly meshed?

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, rab said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peco-N-Gauge-Starter-Track-Set/303771028210?epid=2255407731&hash=item46ba2a0af2:g:WzEAAOSwiWBfswY7&redirect=mobile

The increased interest in model railways during lockdown

appears to be having an effect on prices!

Mfg Recommended age: 14 - 50 years

Well not for me then!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

I have noticed this everywhere, I am a member of a Facebook Model Railway Buy and Sell group and some of the prices being asked are silly money, for that matter Hattons pre-owned prices are also extortionate - how about this one

https://www.hattons.co.uk/591189/hornby_r2847_po10_clan_class_4_6_2_72008_clan_macleod_in_br_green_with_late_crest_pre_owned_dama/stockdetail.aspx

Now I know it is a sought after "Clan" but £190 for a damaged loco in a replacement box?

Jim

Trouble is, if they sold it for say £90 as damaged. Someone else would buy it and put it straight on eBay for £140. 

A friend of mine deals in automobilia and we were talking about how enamel signs have become stupid money. They said that the problem is that even though they only saw the value of a particular sign as being £300, if they advertised in for that, a dealer would snap it up and sell to a rich collector for £1000. So my friend put a £1000 tag on it. They said that what had spoilt the market, but made the dealers well off was a few collectors who were able to pay any price for an item and buy many of them. Because of the price, other, less well off collectors would still buy, but less often and the poorer condition examples. Either way, they still had to buy stock and make a living, so that was the price.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Darius43 said:

This is the only clue you are going to get.

It’s an engine, it’s Irish and it’s made by Bachmann.

Cheers

Darius

PS - OK that’s three clues.

Listing has been updated - it’s a Bachmann/Murphy Class 181 and the price has increased to £249.99.

Glad I bought my Class 141 and 181 for less than £100 each a few years ago...

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 2

3 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Listing has been updated - it’s a Bachmann/Murphy Class 181 and the price has increased to £249.99

No words. :sarcastichand::sarcastichand::sarcastichand::sarcastichand::sarcastichand:

It's always nice to know that you got a bargain even if it didn't feel like it at the time :D

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, rab said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peco-N-Gauge-Starter-Track-Set/303771028210?epid=2255407731&hash=item46ba2a0af2:g:WzEAAOSwiWBfswY7&redirect=mobile

It's quite weird looking at the range of online prices quoted for exactly the same starter set. 

• Agree 3

I think 'requires some work' is one of the year's masterly understatements - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233783958577?ul_noapp=true

The seller also has some other O scale stock which looks as if it has been at the bottom of a junk box for about 50 years!

I particularly like the LNER Mk1 coach - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-Gauge-L-N-E-R-Mk-1Coach/233782528716?hash=item366e864acc:g:LOkAAOSwH-RfsUef

I had no idea that the LNER had introduced Mk1 coaches, I could have sworn it was BR.

If you look at photo 4 it would appear that the seller has attempted a panning shot on a stationary coach!

I don't think that I will be bidding.

Richard

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, rab said:

When I was looking for a Peco N gauge starter pack late last year, I looked in all the usual places (and some unusual ones too) and got one for about 47 quid all in.  However even then there were many that pushed well past the Peco suggested price and I seem to remember that particular pricing at the outer edge of sanity too!

Having said that, s/h prices, no matter where you look, are rather silly at the moment.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Having said that, s/h prices, no matter where you look, are rather silly at the moment.

Trying to acquire anything second hand in N gauge at sensible prices has become near impossible.

Most new or newish stuff is way over RRP now, old tooling stuff has started to go for the sort of prices modern tooling versions of the same are retailing at, even spares/repairs demics are now fetching silly prices.

It's mad...

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Trying to acquire anything second hand in N gauge at sensible prices has become near impossible.

Most new or newish stuff is way over RRP now, old tooling stuff has started to go for the sort of prices modern tooling versions of the same are retailing at, even spares/repairs demics are now fetching silly prices.

It's mad...

Online price hikes might be driven by the current moratorium on physical model railway exhibitions? Competing traders at shows may have a cooling effect on prices?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Online price hikes might be driven by the current moratorium on physical model railway exhibitions? Competing traders at shows may have a cooling effect on prices?

I wonder how many of those traders will still be in business once this is all over. Those that have a 'base', a premises be it a shop or warehouse are able to carry on with mail order or click and collect or both. Many traders however rely on tables at exhibitions or toy fairs/swap meets to sell their goods, how many of those will survive?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I think the secondhand model railway market is extremely buoyant at the moment, as the new models (and re-runs) have had relatively large price increases  compared to 24 months or so ago.

• Like 1