EBay madness

Marcyg

42 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

I have to wonder if the bidders are bidding up until the last moment, before withdrawing their bids at the last moment.  Perhaps they want to teach the seller a lesson, or maybe they know the seller and want to mess him/her about, for some previous event?  Time may yet reveal.....

Julian

It's a shame it didn't start at 99p with no reserve, otherwise I'd bid in just in case.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

It's even more odd when you consider Murdoch was a comparatively late entrant into the series, only made a handful of appearances (and a couple of those were reused footage cameos) and never appeared again as far as I am aware after the models to CGI transition.

Must say, I'm glad I was never a 'collector' - especially a collector of 'Thomas'!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

Surely at this point the price has far outstripped the cost of a Railroad 9F + respray and etched plates?

Not madness directly, but taking advantage of it.

"please read"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-GAUGE-MURDOCH-REPLICA-FOR-THE-THOMAS-THE-TANK-RANGE-please-read/224206039604?hash=item3433b8aa34:g:cRkAAOSwDRdfkt~5

Looking back at sold listings - this is the 4th from the same seller..............

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

So basically a home made knock off trying to cash in at a still exorbitant price!  I think the face may have been sourced from here though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOMY-TRACKMASTER-THOMAS-THE-TANK-ENGINE-FRIEND-MISSING-FACE/224203351955?hash=item34338fa793:g:OPEAAOSw2MdfCgZP

As it just happens to be missing.....

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Twelve hours to go and Murdoch just hit two grand.

I think the seller should prepare for disappointment as I strongly suspect the winning bidder may not pay up, much like the joker who was overbidding on Bachmann S Stock a few weeks ago. 

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

You're underselling yourself.   :taunt:

Julian

I know, I know, all of the experts in the sales of fine art bang on about it.

"If you don't value your art highly, then nobody else will!"

• Funny 4

44 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I know, I know, all of the experts in the sales of fine art bang on about it.

"If you don't value your art highly, then nobody else will!"

Sold a house on that principle.  It was going for a fairly normal price, as I wanted to shift it.  It didn't sell, so I moved to another Agent, who suggested asking for 1 1/2 times to standard price, on the grounds that it would give the impression it was something "Worth having".  5 days later - done deal!!

Now, what price your brick??

Julian

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

Good point. I reckon I should ask £1500 for it. Someone is bound to realise that they could double their money on eBay, so they'll snap it up. 

The next one I make will have to be more expensive, as to obtain another suitable brick, I will either have to fix the shed door or replace the handbrake cable on Miss R's Triumph Herald.

• Funny 6

Yep, that'll work. 

Maybe it's all about sales tactics.

1. Due to the number of theiving smackheads on our doorstep, the "shed" is a veritable fortress.

2. I would never neglect the brakes on Miss Riding Hood's car.

If anything happened due to my negligence I'll never get another girlfriend that pretty, I'm too old, too short and too poor.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Yep, that'll work. 

Maybe it's all about sales tactics.

1. Due to the number of theiving smackheads on our doorstep, the "shed" is a veritable fortress.

2. I would never neglect the brakes on Miss Riding Hood's car.

If anything happened due to my negligence I'll never get another girlfriend that pretty, I'm too old, too short and too poor.

All very wise, indeed.  

Brakes, tyres, steering, looked after with first class care, the rest doesn't matter too much - particularly if an RAC {insert own personal preference} membership paid up.   A good lady, also looked after with total first class care!

Julian

• Like 4

21 hours ago, John M Upton said:

It's even more odd when you consider Murdoch was a comparatively late entrant into the series, only made a handful of appearances (and a couple of those were reused footage cameos) and never appeared again as far as I am aware after the models to CGI transition.

That is interesting, as I don't remember it at all. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

There are aids for that sort of thing.

Mike.

There's so many answers to that one! 

Eg

Cuban heels?

Or

Your wife says they don't work...

:jester: etc etc...

• Funny 2

14 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

The bidder IDs suggest mostly dealers? The current leading bidder was the first to bid back at £62.00!

If they're buying this with intent to make a profit then I hope they get what they deserve - several years staring at the mustard monstrosity until inflation makes the price seem reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3