EBay madness

Marcyg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/116153948886

This here’s interesting… Hornby Dublo West Country body, but it seems to have a heavily modified Triang chassis, the main drive wheels seem to be from the later Hornby release of the BoB, modified with extended crank pins on the centre driver, fitted to a B12/Scotsman chassis block. Front bogie wheels seem to have been externally sourced, but a very nice conversion and a testament to the skill of the modeller who made it regardless!

IMG_0611.jpeg.af8a4d7737f3713d7a92c416dccd0a22.jpeg

Certainly not a “Britannia” as the listing states though…

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/116153948886

This here’s interesting… Hornby Dublo West Country body, but it seems to have a heavily modified Triang chassis, the main drive wheels seem to be from the later Hornby release of the BoB, modified with extended crank pins on the centre driver, fitted to a B12/Scotsman chassis block. Front bogie wheels seem to have been externally sourced, but a very nice conversion and a testament to the skill of the modeller who made it regardless!

IMG_0611.jpeg.af8a4d7737f3713d7a92c416dccd0a22.jpeg

Certainly not a “Britannia” as the listing states though…

Obviously a lot of work put into it.  You're left wondering why though... Still at a tenner you can't go wrong really.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

Obviously a lot of work put into it.  You're left wondering why though... Still at a tenner you can't go wrong really.

It is only the starting price for the bid, and with how sought after the Dublo Bulleids are I can easily see it going up, maybe it was a case of “I have the body but no chassis, but I have the parts to make a new chassis, it’ll be a fun project to see what I can toss together”.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kernowtim said:

On the subject of 'modified' Dublo,

FB marketplace has bought up this Princess Coronation...

Screenshot_20240424-061353_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240424-061420_Facebook.jpg

It might have looked less silly if the Black Princess chassis had its wheels aligned with the splashers, which would have put the cylinders closer to their correct position.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

It is only the starting price for the bid, and with how sought after the Dublo Bulleids are I can easily see it going up, maybe it was a case of “I have the body but no chassis, but I have the parts to make a new chassis, it’ll be a fun project to see what I can toss together”.

yeah, it's hard to see if the body has been "got at" to fit the chassis which may reduce the selling price

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, kernowtim said:

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It might have looked less silly if the Black Princess chassis had its wheels aligned with the splashers, which would have put the cylinders closer to their correct position.  

It looks like a Hornby Dublo body on a Triang chassis.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It is.  Rovex/Triang Princess (open axlebox trailing axle) with Britannia leading bogie (bogie steps).  Looks like it’s been badly cobbled together to make a loco that works, but the front overhang is fearsome.  Aligning the driving wheels with the Duchess splashers improves it up as far as the merely ‘dreadful’ condition; cobbling a new, longer, frame for the pony would lift it further, into the ‘fairly dreadful’ category.  Two crude toys do no make a good model if they are combined in this way. 

I love this sort of thing, makes me feel better about my own dismal standard of modelling…

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, kernowtim said:

This rather kills off the idea that ANY entry level modelling, is better than going to a shop and buying the latest highly detailed new model.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, kevinlms said:

This rather kills off the idea that ANY entry level modelling, is better than going to a shop and buying the latest highly detailed new model.

No! If you ain't got the money, and it works for you, great, your modelling! Just get a hacksaw from the shed and some glue and all will be well. AND your taking the next step...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, 33C said:

No! If you ain't got the money, and it works for you, great, your modelling! Just get a hacksaw from the shed and some glue and all will be well. AND your taking the next step...

yep. With.the added bonus that your hacksaw and glue job will probably last longer and be more robust than the 200 pound super detailed model - if its not already broken when you get it.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

16 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Another seller of 30 Class 86? We had one exposed last week!

He was selling as a job lot last week, they are being sold individually now. I'd probably have one if they were £30 each.

• Like 3

That Princess Coronation reminds me...

We've already discussed The Repair Shop, there's now The Repair Shop - Australia on Quest.

The first prog had a 3-rail Dublo "Flying Scotsman" in for repair which was done - it looked suspiciously like a Duchess running as an 0-6-0!

• Funny 2

23 minutes ago, Bill Radford said:

We've already discussed The Repair Shop, there's now The Repair Shop - Australia on Quest.

The first prog had a 3-rail Dublo "Flying Scotsman" in for repair which was done - it looked suspiciously like a Duchess running as an 0-6-0!

Yes, it bugged me that in the initial intro of the suitcase, you can see the bogie and the tender for the Duchess. But, the brief was followed, and no one was a died in the wool enthusiast so it didn't bother them as much as us! Just nice to see a young lad getting so much pleasure from grandads old trains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Bill Radford said:

The RS-Australia is rather like Taskmaster-NZ, not quite up to scratch!

• Like 1