EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

You used to be able to get some decently priced second hand at the larger shows but in recent years that supply has all but dried up, not helped by the professional scalpers who I have seen leaving shows barely ten or twenty minutes after the doors have opened, carrying bulging bags having hoovered up and probably managed to con a cheeky discount to boot, they are only interested in a quick ebay profit and don't give a hoot about the show at all.

I have seen stuff appear on ebay that I have seen earlier in the day at a show I have attended, only with the price doubled or even tripled!!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, PMW said:

It's neither to my taste or my area of expertise but it looks pretty honest for what it is. Better photos would do it a world of good.

But it has nothing to do with 'Tri-ang' or 'Hornby'. Just an example of someone using a well known brand in the UK, to enable it to be seen more widely.

Doesn't fool most modellers with a little experience.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

...plus (among other sins) there never as such a thing as a steam locomotive in Conrail livery!!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, kevinlms said:

But it has nothing to do with 'Tri-ang' or 'Hornby'. Just an example of someone using a well known brand in the UK, to enable it to be seen more widely.

Doesn't fool most modellers with a little experience.

Much the same as those who populate their adverts with "Not xxxx brand, yyyy brand zzzz brand" (or any other brand people are likely to be looking for, come to that).

14 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

...plus (among other sins) there never as such a thing as a steam locomotive in Conrail livery!!!

In the American "Model Railroad" scene this fact would lie somewhere between irrelevant and insignificant. They would paint Flying Scotsmamn's in Conrail blue if they thought there would be a market. Justification that it did once run on Conrail lines.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Usual Suspects

Pick this one out of the line up…

I can see two driving coaches amongst the various units but no sign of the centre cars.

Cab masking could be better but it may be down to the quality of the resin cab casting.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

The Usual Suspects

I can see two driving coaches amongst the various units but no sign of the centre cars.

Cab masking could be better but it may be down to the quality of the resin cab casting.

Cheers

Darius

The description (and indeed the photos) is a load of utterly irrelevant waffle, just show the item that is actually for sale for gawds sake.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

21 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

The description (and indeed the photos) is a load of utterly irrelevant waffle, just show the item that is actually for sale for gawds sake.

Perhaps there aren't any centre cars? And no grounds for complaint if sale based on photos?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

The Usual Suspects

Cheers

Darius

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

I agree.

If the electrostar is what is for sale, then why picture the networker and mk1 unit.

The turbostar, ok to show what the electrostar was converted from, so why not show the conversion process?

Edited by PieGuyRob
Or just offer the resin cabs for sale.
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Darius43 said:

The Usual Suspects

Cheers

Darius

Knowing ebays policys towards buyers and sellers i could see someone buying this and complaining when they only recieve the 2 or is it 4 cars (who knows) and actually winning and getting theyre money back and the unit. if it confuses us it will definitly confuse ebay

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, John M Upton said:

That's such a egregiously misleading listing that I've taken the trouble to report it to ebay.  Whether anything will be done about it  is another matter of course.  Probably just a waste of my time.

• Like 2

As President of The Enemies of Thomas, I've authorised a 20 pounds bid on the condition the seller destroys it with a hammer/sends it via yodel to get it out of circulation.

• Funny 8

5 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That's such a egregiously misleading listing that I've taken the trouble to report it to ebay.  Whether anything will be done about it  is another matter of course.  Probably just a waste of my time.

Yep - ebay AI decided all that bilge was't against their listing policy.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3