EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Given I’m currently building one and referring to the item in question, I was delighted to stumble across this particular “nice item for the enthusiast”:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143428226192?

Always good to have a fulsome blurb to go with it (!) plus postage a mere snip at £1.75.

All this for a piece of paper…

Darn, doesn't post to Australia! Maybe I could just save his photos and build one using them? All I need is the kit and an interest in N gauge!

• Funny 4

19 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Darn, doesn't post to Australia! Maybe I could just save his photos and build one using them? All I need is the kit and an interest in N gauge!

Scale, period, country even, all irrelevant. You’re an enthusiast, so by definition must love it and want to spend your hard-earned on it 🙄

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 40152 said:

Scale, period, country even, all irrelevant. You’re an enthusiast, so by definition must love it and want to spend your hard-earned on it 🙄

Strictly speaking, any building isn't to 'N Gauge', because that term defines the track. Buildings are to 2mm scale, surely?

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Strictly speaking, any building isn't to 'N Gauge', because that term defines the track. Buildings are to 2mm scale, surely?

For British "N", approximating to a scale of something like 1:148, which is the scale for British stuff that runs on 9mm gauge track.  Continentals use 1:160, though other regions use slightly different scales for 9mm gauge stuff.

British "N" is perilously close to TT:120!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I assume it must have some sort of rare feature that appeals to collectors (what's the collective term for banknote collectors - misers?),  rather like stamp collectors who look for things like the sovereign's head printed upside down.  But if that's the case I'd expect a vendor to make a big deal of it in his ad.

It's an old style, but I can't see anything odd about it - it's not as though the dragon was slaying St George.  The serial number is fairly low - is that what makes it special ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was that strange thing, particularly in the 1980's was that stamp/coin/banknote collecting was seen as a sure fire way to make money, an investment for the future and there are still a few misguided fools who still think that a stamp collection et al is a golden ticket to fame and fortune....

...it isn't.

Much like all those diecast model buses and Lledo promotional vans of some years ago, pretty much all are them are now virtually worthless.  I have my father's sixty year stamp collection to deal with at some point, in reality I will be lucky if I get enough to cover the courier charges to get it to a dealer.

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I assume it must have some sort of rare feature that appeals to collectors (what's the collective term for banknote collectors - misers?),  rather like stamp collectors who look for things like the sovereign's head printed upside down.  But if that's the case I'd expect a vendor to make a big deal of it in his ad.

It's an old style, but I can't see anything odd about it - it's not as though the dragon was slaying St George.  The serial number is fairly low - is that what makes it special ?

Imagine if someone discovered a 'Flying Scotsman' model that had been manufactured upside down! eBay would go into melt-down!

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 3