EBay madness

Marcyg

26 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Imagine if someone discovered a 'Flying Scotsman' model that had been manufactured upside down! eBay would go into melt-down!

Now there's a thought. I do have a couple of Flying Scotsmans (or should that be Flying Scotsmen?) hanging around my stock room. I did think about photographing them upside down and calling them "Special Edition Australia Tour - L@@K RARE!"

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Imagine if someone discovered a 'Flying Scotsman' model that had been manufactured upside down! eBay would go into melt-down!

No, it could be sold in Australia as a memorial to it's tour here!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Looks like it’s just a cast of the old Kitmaster Prairie 🤪

To the extent that the raised lines on the tank for painting the lining on are reproduced.  ISTR that there was one cast from CoT kit that had this wonderful scale feature as well...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

Just spotted this sold item. Still available as a kit from London Road Models (and identified as formerly D&S on their website) for £27.00 plus £2.50 p&p. There is one (or in this case  two) born every minute.

image.png.f81fbeeef1ba1484070b7243388ff25a.png

• Funny 2

I usually watch Dan's kits when they come up just to marvel at the stupid money they fetch.   I did once try telling people they could get them much cheaper from John, from the GCRS or from Dan himself, but in the end I gave up.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I usually watch Dan's kits when they come up just to marvel at the stupid money they fetch.   I did once try telling people they could get them much cheaper from John, from the GCRS or from Dan himself, but in the end I gave up.

It could be the originality and the packaging which is attracting these sales?, "collectors" if i dare say it.

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, RFS said:

One daft one here ffrom TMC. £727.98 for a Britannia Models 4-CEP unit that looks decidedly inferior to the Bachmann model, which at least has door handles etc and can be had new for little more than half the price. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266217819364

I've always been utterly baffled by TMC prices when you compare at other retailers!

Edited by Rich_F
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Rich_F said:

I've always been utterly baffled by TMC prices when you compare at other retailers!

Though I did get one of their exclusive peaks with £40 off the rrp. Though some of their second hand prices have landed them on here in the past.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Being into ‘N’ these days I’m getting used to daft prices, but this seems a little excessive for a loco, coach, controller and oval of track:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224846117688?

Maybe throwing in that cotton swab makes all the difference?

A tad steep, to be sure.

A couple of years ago, I got a Dapol set of a Pannier and two B Set coaches for about 70 quid, a Peco N starter track set for about the same and a new boxed Bachmann controller for 40 quid.  Total 180 quid.  A nice starter trainset.  All I have to do now is build the layout!

I don't think I'd want to pay all that extra for a cotton swab!

Edited by Hroth
extra
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A tad steep, to be sure.

"This great value starter set is the perfect

way into N gauge modelling,

offering fantastic value for money for

the beginner or for someone looking for a

project layout extension."

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Seems an odd definition of 'fantastic value for money for the beginner'; the beginner in eBay selling, perhaps.  It is a train set in the sense that there is an oval of track, a loco, a coach, and the controllers needed to run the thing, but the loco is not in any way related to the coach and even the most basic and simple form of train cannot be recreated with it as there is no brake coach.  I suppose if you are the sort of person who spends that much over the odds for a bunch of unconnected items such niceties do not bother you much...

Not convinced about a 'project layout extension', assuming that to mean a project to extend one's layout.  Arguably, if you were modelling ex-LNER or ex-GW some of the items might be of some use to you, but the track provided would result in a surplus of curved pieces for most projects! 

Or could the explanation possibly be that the seller is a Mendacious Chiseller on the lookout for the one born every minute.  I know which of these alternatives my money's on...

Have to say I'm rather enjoying a lot of this AI-generated nonsense, at least as a spectator sport, though.  I work to the default principle that anyone using AI in this way is fundamentally dishonest and hiding behind the AI's vague and somewhat meaningless descriptions, and I don't make it a habit to deal with clearly dishonest people,  so the presence of AI in a description is a sure-fire way of alerting me to the fact that the seller is a Chiseller of Mendactity and I will not be buying from him/her, and I would imagine that a fair proportion of potential customers feel the same way.  It looks to me, therefore, that not only is this sort of AI description mendacious, it is also simply bad sales technique.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Have to say I'm rather enjoying a lot of this AI-generated nonsense, 

I find it staggering it was signed off.

Although that's a positive as I obviously haven't completely resigned myself to everything automatically being crap yet.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It looks to me, therefore, that not only is this sort of AI description mendacious, it is also simply bad sales technique.

Like yourself, alarm bells ring when I see AI generated twaddle, although I find it an interesting, if not cringeworthy, spectator sport!

Unless I could see through the AI smokescreen, I wouldn't be buying either, I fear eBay is shooting itself in the foot somewhat with these improvements.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the set isn't in stock and instead of removing the listing they've bumped the price to ludicrous level so nobody buys it, when back in stock the price goes down again. Not unusal on ebay annoyingly. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s not a stock item, Rich, just a collection of bits from different manufacturers, Kato track and controller (which probably came from a set that the train was removed from) and a Dapol pannier with a Gresley coach, that some dealer has lying around and is trying to make a killing with.  Not that the pricing practice you describe doesn’t exist and isn’t annoying…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305513249249

I can see this listing going up really fast… Original Rovex train set from 1951? 52? I’m a bit hazy on if it was 51 or 52, all parts seem to be there (except the track) in the same warped condition as most examples of the original train set are (from what I’ve seen anyway).

IMG_0404.jpeg.28a0c5b2b33470ae0142c5d25a4fb980.jpeg

Seems to be plagued with an AI description though…

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

Even now, the Hereford Model Centre has a couple of Dapol N gauge Pannier+B Set train packs for 90 quid.

Peco Settrack starter kit for 72 quid.

https://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=832_834_848_976

https://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=832_834_849_1219_461&products_id=11330

A new Gaugemaster Combi would be under 60 quid

Say 220 quid in total, brand new and the loco/coaches would be plausible.

Its just the problem with relying on ebay for everything!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305513249249

I can see this listing going up really fast… Original Rovex train set from 1951? 52? I’m a bit hazy on if it was 51 or 52, all parts seem to be there in the same warped condition as most examples of the original train set are (from what I’ve seen anyway).

IMG_0404.jpeg.28a0c5b2b33470ae0142c5d25a4fb980.jpeg

Seems to be plagued with an AI description though…

Not the very first, the Princess has plunger pickups not the very first roller pickups, so not as desirable.  Nice Banana coaches and possibly original stock boxes, but no battery box or track, so incomplete.  I didn't get as far as the AI description!

A complete set: http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/origset.html

I've a complete R0 set ( http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/RO Set.html ) which is nice, though the flanges on the loco mean that it hurdles through modern points.  The last time I had it open the coaches hadn't Banana-ed...

Edited by Hroth
a little bit more
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Not the very first, the Princess has plunger pickups not the very first roller pickups

Aye, knew that already, the rollers apparently didn’t perform too well, hence the change to plungers, with the rollers being on the very first version from 1950, I just don’t remember when they changed, thought it was 51 but I heard, on my last trip to Severn Valley, it was 52 they made the swap (I also heard from them that, allegedly, only two roller examples survive today!). I also referred to it as “original” in the sense it was before the Triang buyout, when it was still made for M&S, and therefore the upgrade to a metal chassis and pickup through the wheels. 

• Informative/Useful 2