EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Ah wait, it has competition in the WTF stakes:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIANG-Hornby-EMU-CONVERSION-SET-/280581901602?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4153fc0d22

Dear oh dear... :lol: What is even more extraordinary is that someone has actually bid on it!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Is it April 1st then?

EBAY

Shoulda gone to Specsavers?

Good grief - someone's actually bought it! Only 99p so far but add on £3.50 postage? Just goes to show you can sell anything on Ebay!

• RMweb Premium

Okay then, 'Brand new in original box' yet it has been heavily weathered?!? Something contradictory here. Also my pet hates of unnecessary colour of description text (pale grey for some reason) and all in BLOCK CAPITALS!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VITRAINS-CLASS-37-SUPER-DETAILED-WEATHERED-/260685837906?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3cb2163652

'Stunning' reads the text description...

'Stung' might be more appropriate..

Stunning - Ebay

Very rare item! NOT. And as a rare collectible, it would not be suitable for layout use anyway.

Love the bit about the seller being away until 26/02/11 and there may be a delay in processing your order.

• RMweb Premium

While there is alot of madness there are some amazing deals you can get. I bought a Crownline West Country, brand new and unstarted for £59 including postage.

When i got the kit it also had a full Markits wheel set with it, so the kit in real terms was £3 - I am over the moon!

If you want real madness at the moment have a look at what some negatives are going for. A neg of Monsal Dale in 1968 that just show the platforms, no buildings and not that special for £102 ! one of Millers Dale went for £46 and a slide of Winchester with a SR DMU went again for over £100. Who says there's a recession.

Finally for full madness how about this one a finescale B1 that in the 1970s would have been excellent but at £160 has not sold in 2 years

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HAND-BUILT-FINE-SCALE-00-BRASS-KIT-LNER-B1-4-6-0-LOCO-/310251025498?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item483c66f45a

Looked at his website, should have used the stuff that other beers don't reach. Nice clean areas where the most dirt collects.

Just another unfortunate case of:

"to call it weathered it has to look like it´s been on the bottom of the ocean for 6 months followed by a 6 month stint in the desert!"

As a custom painter myself; I can only say that it is much more difficult to make a convincing subtle/medium weathering that looks "real".

I´ve been teaching myself self restraint for the last 20 years, but it´s hard to resist, as it is so much fun to do "rustbuckets" :D. I have found a nice way to express myself in the "to much" department, and that is to weather wartime shipmodels (WW2).....

• RMweb Gold

You have a choice of Wrenn Standard 4MT locos. This one at a "buy-it-now" for £500 ...

Tank 1

Or you can bid on this one - 0.99p and no takers yet. At least it has its instructions which you don't get for the £500 version. And if it has been repainted, as the seller says, it's been extremely well done!

tank 2

The seller of the first uses descriptions with flashing titles which I find extremely irritating.

Have a look in the Mainline Wagons...there's a few which have been on buy-it-now for some time. Perhaps someone should tell the seller the price AIN'T right! Even if he thinks they are mint boxed! £24.95 for a Crossfields Tank wagon!!! Perhaps he doesn't want to sell them...must have cost more than the asking price in re-listing? and they've been round several times in the past few months. You can pick them up at train fairs for £6.50 max. I've sold loads of mint boxed Mainline Tank Wagons and never got more than six or seven quid for any of them.

As for the Autocoach....I sold a Mint Boxed example earlier this year and I thought I'd done well to get around a tenner for it.

Jules

Or you can bid on this one - 0.99p and no takers yet. At least it has its instructions which you don't get for the £500 version. And if it has been repainted, as the seller says, it's been extremely well done!

tank 2

I think the clue to the repaint lies in the different numbers on each side! She certainly seems nicely done though, but the cycling lions are a bit ropey. I might be tempted myself, but I don't really need yet another Dublo/Wrenn 2-6-4T.

• RMweb Premium

I think the clue to the repaint lies in the different numbers on each side! She certainly seems nicely done though, but the cycling lions are a bit ropey. I might be tempted myself, but I don't really need yet another Dublo/Wrenn 2-6-4T.

Having an end to end layout the different numbers are a bonus to me! Put in a bid which I hope will see a new locomotive on the layout in the near future.

Chris

Blinking eck "that's the strongest language I can use on here", I was watching this item as well, I might have thrown £70/£80 at it, but then that's still a lot of work to do, ah well I'll go back to my DC kits converted 303 cabs and keep chopping up them Bachmann MK1's, and yes I know the Swindon built units didn't have as deeper windows than the Mk1's, but who sees them when they are bobbing along at a scale 60/70 mph, and its my layout anywaytongue.gif.

Truly though I bet the seller is chuffed with that, I emailed the seller about the kit, and he told me he has yet to put the Buffet coach kit on ebay ohmy.gif more dosh !!!

Going slightly off subject here but i've read somewhere the old Mainline MK1 coach windows are about the right size for a Trans-Pennine DMU.