EBay madness

Marcyg

Not often I post in this thread, but this I found on ebay left me speechless!

Hornby Railroad 9F, yours for £110! :blink:

TMC Railroad 9F

Honestly, WHAT?! :blink:

Double the price of most box shifters, and for what? A renumbering job? I could understand if they added some detail, but it's a renumbering job with a pristine coat. Done in under half an hour. Where do they justify an extra £50...?

Am I missing something? :(

Guest baldrick25
Am I missing something? :(

Nope, not missing anything , £50 or more for a renumbered 'TMC Special' is one of their lines of business--- Ohhh and a 'special cardboard box'..

Now if you did that and sold the box and accessories seperate , there's probably an extra tenner in it as well..

There's a Brittania class here - Solway Firth for an eye-watering £180.. eeeekkk

• RMweb Gold

Nope, not missing anything , £50 or more for a renumbered 'TMC Special' is one of their lines of business--- Ohhh and a 'special cardboard box'..

Now if you did that and sold the box and accessories seperate , there's probably an extra tenner in it as well..

There's a Brittania class here - Solway Firth for an eye-watering £180.. eeeekkk

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item.

So it came out of the factory weathered and in a different box then?

• RMweb Gold

Similarly, this item http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/R4299D-SR-Maunsell-Composite-Coach-5150-Weathered-/250721306662?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a60278826 has a bizarre overall weathering - including the windows! Surely no-one thinks the windows are left that dirty? In a previous life I was involved with carriage cleaning, and even if nothing else could be done because the washer was frozen or zapped (polite version), the windows were the least you could do!

• RMweb Premium

Sparkling compared to this specimen:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fading-Virgin-Mk-3-coach-carriage-WEATHERED-RUSTY-LOOK-/270659184415?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f048b671f

Considering how rare spare Mk 3's are on the 12 inch to the foot railway, I find it extremely unlikely that any one would have got into this sort of state!!

• RMweb Gold

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item.

So it came out of the factory weathered and in a different box then?

We've been here before. The item is obviously not "second hand", "used" or "played with". If you quote the FULL E Bay definition of "New" it also says "See the seller's listing for full details"

So something that is brand new and has had some modification such as weathering, renumbering etc, is IMO still worthy of the description "New" so long as the seller clearly states what he/she has done to the item. Perhaps E Bay could consider another option such as "New but modified" or "Unused but modified" or some such wording to cover items such as this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fading-Virgin-Mk-3-coach-carriage-WEATHERED-RUSTY-LOOK-/270659184415?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f048b671f

Considering how rare spare Mk 3's are on the 12 inch to the foot railway, I find it extremely unlikely that any one would have got into this sort of state!!

Ha Ha have you read the write up for the ad what a joke he is deffinately havin a laugh i think the word proffesional is quoted some where

On Thursday while changing trains at Willesden Junction I noticed two Virgin coaches at the rear of the depot. This was from the Stratford- Richmond high level platform. They had, by the look of things, been there for some time, but were in remarkably good condition and far cleaner than this model.

Bernard

Guest baldrick25

Silly as it sounds , according to the feedback, he's shifting between 2 and 6 items a day, with at least 116 'feedbacks' left for the last 30 days, averaging say a tenner . Suppose it could be quite useful as a source of income.

• RMweb Premium

Another good one. Model Rail 08. 100 quid! I bought one exactly the same for 35 the other week. And that one came DCC chipped. Feel like selling it now, make a profit. Or perhaps it is worth the extra as the certificate has a nice round number on it?And it's another one that is 'unused and unopened' yet is sitting on someone's layout for the photo.

Looks more like a hard doneby Tiger tank than a loco :blink::blink::blink:

Some of the NCB stuff didn't look much different to that in terms of dirt levels although the look is somewhat wrong,. Looking at NCB photos I sometimes wonder if they sprayed the locos with glue and coal dust regularly and perhaps it was cheaper than paint ;)