Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Not only that, but it's listed as unopened, yet there's a photo of it on a piece of track - so either the listing is wrong or the pic is of another model...

• RMweb Gold

That seller's featured on here before with his overpriced Lima 60s and 67 (still available - don't all rush at once) - he seems to be trying to sell an unusual combination of (mostly overpriced) model railway items, and various different types of Durex condom. Some of his 'very very rare' wagons are so rare that he has several the same!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can someone explain to me why anything FGW has very prices nearly all of the time. Just amazes me how high the prices can be. I understand that they are sought after these days, but well out of my league in terms of affordability. 

Basically supply and demand, or economics according to T P Barnum depending on your viewpoint.

The livery is quite difficult to reproduce en masse and at good quality*   The real livery has been around for some time, so more modellers want to do it.  Hornby made equal numbers of first and standard coaches in the original runs meaning there were too few of some and not enough of others.  I believe the Bachmann 166 wasn't a great seller when it first appeared so numbers of these aren't great either.

*ie you can't easily find someone good at resprays and get them to do it.  BTW as I understand it Bachmann have declared the TPE version of this livery all but impossible as the shading goes from dark at the bottom to light at the top, in addition to all the other complications of the livery.

Basically supply and demand, or economics according to T P Barnum depending on your viewpoint.

The livery is quite difficult to reproduce en masse and at good quality*   The real livery has been around for some time, so more modellers want to do it.  Hornby made equal numbers of first and standard coaches in the original runs meaning there were too few of some and not enough of others.  I believe the Bachmann 166 wasn't a great seller when it first appeared so numbers of these aren't great either.

*ie you can't easily find someone good at resprays and get them to do it.  BTW as I understand it Bachmann have declared the TPE version of this livery all but impossible as the shading goes from dark at the bottom to light at the top, in addition to all the other complications of the livery.

Also worth bearing in mind that FGW has around half of the total number of HSTs, and they cover a pretty wide area (London to the far south west, Bristol, South Wales, Cheltenham and Hereford) so there is bound to be far more demand for them than, say, the Grand Central livery (3 sets, all of which work on one route), or Crosscountry (five sets, which normally work one route, albeit a long one). Therefore an FGW HST (or several of them) is going to be pretty essential for anyone modelling a contemporary mainline location on many of their routes

Just come to think of it. Either last month or earlier this month, I saw a FGW green with gold lettering class 47 832 sold by Rails, and before I knew it, sold. I understand the high demand, but never knew that high. And it was at a reasonable price at that. Well there are railway exhibitions to grab a bargain compared to this very high prices. 

Just come to think of it. Either last month or earlier this month, I saw a FGW green with gold lettering class 47 832 sold by Rails, and before I knew it, sold. I understand the high demand, but never knew that high. And it was at a reasonable price at that. Well there are railway exhibitions to grab a bargain compared to this very high prices. 

Most of the earlier FGW liveries don't sell for particularly high amounts. The one exception to this is HSTs in fag-packet livery, which sell on ebay for a fair amount (although not anywhere near as high as the current-livery Hornby models). I understand that these are rare because only Lima ever produced them, and they went bust part-way through the production so not many were actually made. After Hornby had acquired the Lima toolings, they made a TGS (only) in this livery, which they said was due to customer demand. I really cannot see how this can be possible (they were available new for ages, so clearly not high demand!) - it seems much more likely that what people actually wanted was a Merlin livery TGS to go with their Hornby Merlin-livery HSTs (which had the scale-length coaches, but at the time they were made Hornby didn't have tooling for a TGS) and Hornby somehow misunderstood.

I did wonder whether Hornby would produce fag-packet livery this year, but they have gone for the original MML livery instead - a rather strange choice as both Lima and Hornby have previously produced it, and the the models of the current EMT livery didn't appear to sell particularly well - they were discounted at a number of sellers for quite a while. I guess this is because the MML is more or less a single route, and a relatively short one, so there was much less demand than for the FGW sets, plus of course the HST fleet is much smaller than that of FGW.

Tell you what, let's start a Lima 47 at £100....

That seller's featured on here before with his overpriced Lima 60s and 67 (still available - don't all rush at once) - ....and various different types of Durex condom.....

As far as the condoms are concerned, don't all rush at once either....

Wouldn't £18 be expensive for the complete locomotive? and I think we got the message

PLEASE NOTE POSTING ON THIS ITEM IS 5 WORKING DAYS FROM PAYMENT IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH THIS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM BIDDING THANKYOU

Isn't that a 14xx chassis? Indeed missing wheels etc if it is what it says in the title. I thought a GWR/BR Hall has a wheel arragement of 4-6-0 not 2-4-0/0-4-2. 

It is indeed a 14XX chassis.

If you check his other listing he does have a 14xx chassis for sale and appears to have put up the wrong photo for the Hall chassis.

Listed in Finescale as Loco wheels:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-VINTAGE-FINESCALE-LOCOMOTIVE-WHEELS-WITH-BRASS-CAPS-SEE-PICTURES-FOR-DETAILS-/301103280187?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item461b27703b

They have not got a Scooby have they?

Nice to see Brass Caps are back in fashion!!!!!

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 3

Listed in Finescale as Loco wheels:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-VINTAGE-FINESCALE-LOCOMOTIVE-WHEELS-WITH-BRASS-CAPS-SEE-PICTURES-FOR-DETAILS-/301103280187?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item461b27703b

They have not got a Scooby have they?

Nice to see Brass Caps are back in fashion!!!!!

Is it just me being immediately put off by the words 'Here we have.....' ?

Hmmmm, BARGAIN tempting very tempting, I was thinking of going over to the dark side.....right Paypal login details.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Gauge-Layout-4ftx2ft-DC-6-Sections-7-Electric-points-CDU-Controller-RTR-/161233498700?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item258a43f24c

Hmmmm, BARGAIN tempting very tempting, I was thinking of going over to the dark side.....right Paypal login details.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Gauge-Layout-4ftx2ft-DC-6-Sections-7-Electric-points-CDU-Controller-RTR-/161233498700?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item258a43f24c

Remember the outfit that built it - their name, number and website domain is scrawled on the underside! :jester: