EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Trains-N-Scale-10-Pack-1035-Barber-Roller-Bearing-Trucks-With-/201013432232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ecd558fa8

is another example £70.38, available from suppliers here in the UK for £38 plus postage.  Not sure what their business model is.  Maybe they buy things on offer or at best deal prices.  Then just wait for them to sell

Their "business model" is that if someone buys one they go out and buy one themselves (cheaper of course).  That's why the lead time on delivery is so long.  Note that everything they sell like this has "5 available".  I'm sure this is against Ebay rules ....

• RMweb Premium

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-Trains-N-Scale-10-Pack-1035-Barber-Roller-Bearing-Trucks-With-/201013432232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ecd558fa8

is another example £70.38, available from suppliers here in the UK for £38 plus postage.  Not sure what their business model is.  Maybe they buy things on offer or at best deal prices.  Then just wait for them to sell

Are there really people out there who would buy those trucks / bogies or a model like that Athearn Genesis SD70, paying about £140 over the top without atleast researching if they could get a better deal somewhere else first??

I find it hard to believe personally.

• RMweb Premium

Not entirely madness, but after a fair while sitting in bargain bins, the Heljan Class 58s now seem to be going for good money!

I bought mine from a Hattons clearance at a (fairly) reasonable £50 a pop, now the current eBay auctions are in three figures - how times change!!

Am I missing something here, these normally sell for about £210 give or take a quid!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Athearn-HO-SD70ACe-w-DCC-Sound-UP-8669-ATHG68684-/201013370455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ecd549e57

Even importing them from the States at the moment with the high shipping costs and import VAT etc you'd still only pay about £220.

Regular followers of this thread will know ukpartsdeal has been discussed at length over the last few pages for his practices!

• RMweb Premium

This piece of cr@p didn't sell in Canada (I can't imagine why?), so is now a 'valuable collector's item' for the P.T. Barnum brigade*. (Calling this a class 08 surely falls foul of the Trades Description Act?!)

* Sorry if I offend anyone, but that is my opinion.... Collecting is fine, but once you start paying ridiculous prices for junk.......

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Their "business model" is that if someone buys one they go out and buy one themselves (cheaper of course).  That's why the lead time on delivery is so long.  Note that everything they sell like this has "5 available".  I'm sure this is against Ebay rules ....

Hi 

This chap has nothing in stock, he just puts stuff up to sell ,then once he sells it he orders it from somewhere else and sends it to you, that's if you ever get it that is!.

I have reported him to ebay a while back about this, But nothing was ever done , STAY AWAY FROM HIM NOTHING BUT BAD NEWS just have a look at his feed back!.

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAILWAY-CARRIAGE-COACH-FULL-SIZE-FRENCH-NORD-TORPEDO-72-SEATS-ART-DECO-/201036943001?pt=UK_HG_Property_RL&hash=item2ecebc4e99

Just in case you've got a few grand to spare and a very big back garden.  Oh, and understanding neighbours...

Another item from the Nene Valley Railway...thinning out their collection...a bit like me in fact! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain

Higher bid now than a brand new one, including postage, would cost from SEF...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251445549664?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

No surprise there. He also had a Brassmasters 4F kit - loco only plus AGW wheels - that someone has just shelled out £170 for. Going direct to Brassmasters costs £105, and AGW wheels top out at £20 at most.....

Madness.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure that the modelling bit is likely to be troubled, but earlier this evening I encountered a phishing page on ebay. This was in Digital Cameras, and an item for sale had a pic of a young girl, instead of a camera. Puzzled, I clicked on it to go to the item, and immediately got the ebay sign-in page. Except that I had recently signed-in, and ebay always offers me my user-name, which this didn't. Closer inspection showed it to be a false sign-in page. However many times I paged back and forth, all I got was the faux sign-in - so couldn't even "Report" it to ebay - I never got to the item, if indeed there was one.

You have been warned!

I'm not sure that the modelling bit is likely to be troubled, but earlier this evening I encountered a phishing page on ebay. This was in Digital Cameras, and an item for sale had a pic of a young girl, instead of a camera. Puzzled, I clicked on it to go to the item, and immediately got the ebay sign-in page. Except that I had recently signed-in, and ebay always offers me my user-name, which this didn't. Closer inspection showed it to be a false sign-in page. However many times I paged back and forth, all I got was the faux sign-in - so couldn't even "Report" it to ebay - I never got to the item, if indeed there was one.

You have been warned!

These pages are a pain! and getting rid of them is tricky. I have 'Session Manager' installed on 'Firefox'. Closing down the web (or crashing off, which might be necessary - I've had pages that block everything), then enables you to remove the offending page(s) before restarting and avoids losing all the open tabs you want (RMweb for instance!)

Whether reporting it would produce any results, I wouldn't like to say....

Edited by Il Grifone

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221366905829?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

BOXED NEAR MINT VINTAGE TRI-ANG R850 B.R FLYING SCOTSMAN LOCOMOTIVE AND TENDER

So, missing one nameplate, worn paint on the handrails, a good coat of dust....and the foam packing in the tender has gone gooey and fragmented....

Please ignor the yellow dusty appearance  in the pictures of the paintwork,this is due to the foam packing material used which had started to break down.The loco has been carefully cleaned and the paintwork is now flawless.

But it does have the outer sleeve...

But not 1970s...1968 this one! No made after 1969, LNER ruled afterwards!