EBay madness

Marcyg

I think there is a world of difference from those who sell items for a high price, and those who sell items where they are passing off faulty goods for as working ot trying to deceive/gain advantage.

We literally just had duplicate posts about a guy trying to sell a 90% empty etched fret while feigning ignorance on how (in)complete the item was.

I'd agree that the majority of listings are simple ignorance or petty greed, but make no mistake there are some slimy operators about.

We literally just had duplicate posts about a guy trying to sell a 90% empty etched fret while feigning ignorance on how (in)complete the item was.

I'd agree that the majority of listings are simple ignorance or petty greed, but make no mistake there are some slimy operators about.

You are correct that greed plays a part, but that's the human survival mode, if someone is being greedy then no one is making me buy from them. As you have said its the dishonest ones that are the pain and cause the problems.

Now I like the items where people have no idea either what they have and or are just plain lazy in their listings. Yesterday I bought two N gauge motors and a 4 mm scale Perseverance bogie unit for £9.50  including postage, the photos of the bogie unit are good but the motors are still in plastic bags, have a hunch they are 2 Mashima DS10's. (me being greedy? or seeing an opportunity )  

There's a car parts place based in Kent that has maybe 4 selling accounts and they all have mark items for sale as genuine. Genuine is a keyword for genuine manufacturer parts eg. genuine ford. But they use it as genuine spark plug (as opposed to a fake spark plug?!) so everything is "genuine" for a ford. Reported it for keyword spamming so many times but ebay don't care it would seem.

But most car 'manufacturers' dont actually manufacture the parts because they are all bought in.

Car 'assemblers' would be a more appropriate term, just because it comes in a Ford box doeesnt mean it was built by Ford but that it was built for Ford by somebody else.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ID-218N-Backscenes-N-Gauge-Brighton-Docks-2-x9-x60-Rolls-in-Tube-T48-Post-/12162445796

Been to Brighton on many occasions but never stumbled upon the docks...?

Shoreham Harbour on the other hand...

Cheers

Darius

Well, there is always the Marina at Black Rock! ;)

Shoreham Harbour is a good place....but it didn't have much railway.....

• RMweb Gold

But most car 'manufacturers' dont actually manufacture the parts because they are all bought in.

Car 'assemblers' would be a more appropriate term, just because it comes in a Ford box doeesnt mean it was built by Ford but that it was built for Ford by somebody else.

Yes, but to Ford's specification and quality control system. Very different from some aftermarket part.

Yes, but to Ford's specification and quality control system. Very different from some aftermarket part.

The aftermarket part should (could) be made to the same standards ,possibly by the same manufacturers, for example I can go to my local ford dealer and buy a drive belt idler, which would be stamped with the ford logo, or go to my local factor and buy the same part at less money with the ford logo removed as both parts would be made by Gates, who also supply belts to many vehicle assemblers.

• RMweb Gold

The aftermarket part should (could) be made to the same standards ,possibly by the same manufacturers, for example I can go to my local ford dealer and buy a drive belt idler, which would be stamped with the ford logo, or go to my local factor and buy the same part at less money with the ford logo removed as both parts would be made by Gates, who also supply belts to many vehicle assemblers.

But that doesn't make it a genuine Ford part. That's my point - ebay sellers love putting the keyword "genuine" in their listings to falsely draw attention to them.

Guest teacupteacup

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Class-150-2-First-Great-Western-Purple-Limited-Edition-Brand-New-FGW/112929275799?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49130%26meid%3D420d398fe069400c833a42c67958ac4c%26pid%3D100013%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D371869173345%26itm%3D112929275799&_trksid=p2047675.c100013.m1986

Tut tut tut

Think this must be someone trying to fool people into thinking its the 150/1 version which does often go for a little less than this price point on auctions...

Was only released a handful of months ago, still being sold new for considerably less http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58206/32-935X-Bachmann-Class-150-2-2-Car-DMU-number-150-216. Don't get why unless seller just changed mind and is trying to get costs back and too long for distance sales to apply...

The listing clearly states its a 150/2, why do you think they are trying to fool people?

The listing clearly states its a 150/2, why do you think they are trying to fool people?

It didn't say /2 originally. Just "150"! Regardless of that, the price is still trying to take advantage of those who don't realize it can be purchased [originally] new for less.

Edited by centraltrains

But some of those aftermarket manufacturers build the same components for the car produces but put them in their own boxes, he actual component is identical.

• RMweb Gold

But some of those aftermarket manufacturers build the same components for the car produces but put them in their own boxes, he actual component is identical.

But still not Genuine Ford (or whichever vehicle brand). That's the point.

But that doesn't make it a genuine Ford part. That's my point - ebay sellers love putting the keyword "genuine" in their listings to falsely draw attention to them.

But Ford don't actually produce the part so how is it a 'genuine' Ford part?

You buy all the 'genuine parts you want and I will continue to use the big parts dealers to provide me with parts to exactly the same specification but at a much cheaper price,that way you can feel all superior with your 'genuine' parts while I buy lots of stuff with the money I have saved.

I would bet all that money I have saved that my 'aftermarket' parts will last just as long as your 'genuine' parts.

• RMweb Premium

It didn't say /2 originally. Just "150"! Regardless of that, the price is still trying to take advantage of those who don't realize it can be purchased [originally] new for less.

Ebay at it's finest. If people can't be bothered to look elsewhere, then that's their fault.

• RMweb Premium

But Ford don't actually produce the part so how is it a 'genuine' Ford part?

You buy all the 'genuine parts you want and I will continue to use the big parts dealers to provide me with parts to exactly the same specification but at a much cheaper price,that way you can feel all superior with your 'genuine' parts while I buy lots of stuff with the money I have saved.

I would bet all that money I have saved that my 'aftermarket' parts will last just as long as your 'genuine' parts.

Going off topic I know (but, hey, this is RMWeb),

I have an uncle who used to be a garage mechanic.

Some of you may be old enough to remember the

BMC 1100 range, with Morris, Austin, Wolsley,

Riley & Vanden Plas variants. I well remember

him saying on one occasion that many of the

parts for the different variants were identical,

but if you ordered one for a Vanden Plas it would

cost more than one ordered for a Morris or Austin.

• RMweb Gold

I had the same issues relating to Rover P6's in the day when they were day to day runners not classics, luckily I had a local corner shop type motor factor who was on the ball on which part was which, so I saved a fortune.

Mike.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but aftermarket parts are most definitely not coming from the same factory as the real deal, and usually do not last anything like the length of time a proper part does. For a lot of parts it doesn't really matter, but for some stuff that is particularly awkward to get at it makes sense to use the proper stuff. (think water pumps that need the timing belt off to change etc). 

Now of course manufacturers don't make everything themselves - you mentioned Gates, yes you'll find that most belts will be gates from the factory. Just like you'll find Michelin and Goodyear tyres as opposed to Ford and Citroen, NGK, Bosch or Denso spark plugs etc. Honda do actually make their own spark plugs mind. Ford use Timken and NTK bearings. Many Japanese marques use Mitsubishi, Denso or Nippon components, whereas in Europe they will be Bosch. Stanley in the UK manufacture a lot of lighting for Japanese cars, whilst Hella do a lot for European brands. These are not aftermarket parts, these are genuine parts, or OEM if you like, which is a term much misused. 

Sorry to burst your bubble, but aftermarket parts are most definitely not coming from the same factory as the real deal, and usually do not last anything like the length of time a proper part does. For a lot of parts it doesn't really matter, but for some stuff that is particularly awkward to get at it makes sense to use the proper stuff. (think water pumps that need the timing belt off to change etc). 

Now of course manufacturers don't make everything themselves - you mentioned Gates, yes you'll find that most belts will be gates from the factory. Just like you'll find Michelin and Goodyear tyres as opposed to Ford and Citroen, NGK, Bosch or Denso spark plugs etc. Honda do actually make their own spark plugs mind. Ford use Timken and NTK bearings. Many Japanese marques use Mitsubishi, Denso or Nippon components, whereas in Europe they will be Bosch. Stanley in the UK manufacture a lot of lighting for Japanese cars, whilst Hella do a lot for European brands. These are not aftermarket parts, these are genuine parts, or OEM if you like, which is a term much misused. 

It depends where the parts are manufactured, some will be manufactured in the same factory as 'genuine' parts but others will be built in a back street factory out of Swiss cheese, as with most things there are aftermarket parts and then there are aftermarket parts, or are you trying to say that some factories only produce 'genuine' parts because if that is the case I can see why their costs are so high and it has nothing to do with quality!

Edit-

My BMW has recently had a recall regarding its airbag which wasnt a BMW part!

Edited by royaloak

Sorry to disagree with this.

But I worked in a BL parts department in the early 80's and can assure you that if the same part was fitted to any model in the range, it had one part number and was sold at the same price.

• RMweb Premium

But you don't know if is was made by 'Gates', or someone who purchased a genuine part and reversed engineered it. Some no name brands are quite OK, but others are not. How can you tell?