Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

LOL.

There must be a device that can do this! :angel:

I think that, as the Dynamis is infra-red, an old TV remote [iR type] would cause some interesting

situations to occour!

Of course, I'm not suggesting anyone tries this, well not while anyone is looking! :mosking:

Jeff

Guest dilbert

Proposing a 'level-playing field' slip coach contest or alternatively a best operational layout during an energy brown-out... dilbert

Put a copper chimneycap on a certain LNER pacific.

Which one?

The first doesn't have the clearance to have a cap.

A cap wouldn't be visible on the second.

It might actualy improve a third one! :diablo_mini:

And a fourth one just wouldn't look right - unless it's painted GWR Green to match!! :D

• Like 1

I think that, as the Dynamis is infra-red, an old TV remote [iR type] would cause some interesting

situations to occour!

Of course, I'm not suggesting anyone tries this, well not while anyone is looking! :mosking:

Jeff

Sure i managed to control the volume on my stereo while trying to manouver my clayton the once.

Speaking of claytons... how about knocking up a first generation Heljan clayton with some pyrotechnics and smoke and slowly engulf the model show in smoke?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, layout in a shopping basket... simple roundy roundy in N, track halfway up the basket side, with a central area sunken for a lake or small village..... - I'm just off to Tesco, won't be long...

Hey, lots of possibilities - a tesco value layout using secondhand track and all Hornby Railroad locos or a finest layout with hanbuilt track and those £1000 quid A4s

• RMweb Gold

Or how about taking a video camera and acting like the whole exhibition was set up for you to practice your cameramanship rather than for people to enjoy the models. You could stand with your elbows sticking out at eye level and try to dominate a 180 degree arc to pan your shots of every passing train. Be careful though because apart from getting lynched people might just notice in the viewfinder over your shoulder that not only are you a pain in the a**se but you also have no idea how to operate the camera either!!!!

• RMweb Premium

on a DCC sound layout also have a church with ringing bells (not too bad yet...)

You could have the bells getting progressively louder - as in their getting closer. As per Monty Python sketch.

Just to make sure the punters 'get it', have a Gumby voice over that states loudly (to be heard over the bells, of course), 'The bells are getting closer'.

The adjacent layouts/trade stands will simply LOVE you for this one. Anything to brighten their day.

Kevin Martin

• Like 2

or alternatively a best operational layout during an energy brown-out... dilbert

Funny you should mention that - years ago I helped run a vintage Hornby layout, and someone managed to fuse the ring main - no problem, we just swapped the electric locos for clockwork and kept going!!! When one of the stewards desperately trying to rectify the fault glanced at us he was heard to comment 'look they've got power they're still running' the smugness turned to hysterics!!! We were glad when the electrics came back on - with two circuits and two engines per circuit - one being wound whilst the other ran - after about 15 mins of constant winding my hands were knackered - but we did succeed in always having a train running - which is more than could be said for some of the other railways even when the power was on!

For those who have never tried running an intensive service with O gauge clockwork, you really do not know what fun you are missing!!

Edited by Titan
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A couple of views as an exhibitor for the weekend......

Having a DCC sound layout with all the volumes set to max - especially if 0 gauge.

Having a layout with working block bells.

Incessant wind-breaking after a good Saturday night - oops, that's our layout.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Loudly tell a Trader who is trying to flog an Atlas O Scale Plymouth Switcher for a three-figure price that it is quite simply not worth that much...

Better still, do it at Warley/NEC....

Oh, I did....... :rolleyes: ..... didn't get lynched, but it's a good job looks can't kill... :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Variation on a theme: a layout set at night in winter (with snow to make that clear) in the late 70s featuring a large set of stabling sidings full of sound fitted DMUs, all with their engines idling, and perhaps a couple of stabled locos, likewise. Prototypical, as it would wind up the neighbours!

Pete

• Like 3