How do you visit shows

David Bigcheeseplant

Normally on my own and by public transport part or all the way if at all possible. Quite often I run into someone I know and have a natter.

Limited number of shows, always Alexandra Palace, Scaleforum, Peterborough and Watford Finescale, usually Warley. Sometimes York and Scaleforum North. This year East Midlands at Nottingham because there is a layout there I want to see (Bradfield) and Southwold (because I'm operating) and I've just been at Utrecht (also operating).

I might add a few more if there are any potentially interesting layouts to see, because I tend to go for that reason rather than the trade stands.

A lot of venues are very unfriendly from a public transport point of view (tin sheds or 'sport centres' on the outskirts of towns) and although I've been to some of these once, I don't expect to go again. I'm afraid Railex at Aylesbury falls into the occasional category because I normally want to go on a Sunday and that means driving.

Regards

Andy

Have to agree with Roundhouse (on page 1) I only attend shows where we are exhibiting as the other weekends are taking up with family commitments and our other interest of Motor Caravanning. Also a big factor is the ridiculous price of fuel. (I can still remember getting 4 gallons of petrol and change out of a pound note). We are making an exception though this weekend and going to see all our friends at the Rainhill Show with family in tow.

George

Car share tends to be the favorite here, for a mix of reasons. Fuel cost for a start, I always take

my 11yr old and it's more of a social event if you go with friends.

Normally my mate Ted drives [with his condition he finds it more comfortable] with at least one

other from our local MRC.

Also we only do a few, mostly local, Ally Pally [cos it's big], Railex, Aylesbury [cos my F-in-L

always has a trade stand there] and St. Albans [close]. I also do some others, but with the

club layout as an operator [N.E.WARE; Stevenage & District mrc]

Jeff

Always by train.

If the show is located somewhere that's an absolute pig to get to by public transport (Nottingham, I'm looking at you), then I'll give that show a miss.

Nice to see Eurotrack last weekend using a vintage bus as the exhibition shuttle from the station. That's something I thought had died out, replaced by more practical but less interesting hired minibuses.

Always by train.

If the show is located somewhere that's an absolute pig to get to by public transport (Nottingham, I'm looking at you), then I'll give that show a miss.

Nice to see Eurotrack last weekend using a vintage bus as the exhibition shuttle from the station. That's something I thought had died out, replaced by more practical but less interesting hired minibuses.

We have a vintage bus lined up for the shuttle from Chippenham Station to Trainwest on 14 April. Details here: www.trainwest.org.uk .

Geoff Endacott

Nobody will travel in my car since I ran out of deodorant, and there's no room anyway once I get my rucksack in.

But it's considerate of you not to contaminate public transport. :scratchhead:

G.

• RMweb Premium

I travel either by train or car dependent on shift pattern or leave, location and notice. It's train for stuff near London IE Railex, Expong and this year Scalefourum as these are well publicised in advanced and I can get the leave and stay a night or two in the Smoke do do quality control checking of the liquid refreshment. York last minute decision, Scalefour north at Wakefield, Expo EM Exeter, Wigan and Railwells will be by car.

The big deciding factors being cost, venue location availability of trains or in the case of Wigan a detour on the way to Holyhead for a holiday in Ireland to check on the standards of the Guinness and Porterhouse Red.

Cheers SS

PS. I usually travel with R. A. Watson of this parish.

Always by train.

Hi Tim, I've just looked up travel from Reading to Nottingham on the Saturday on National Rail, takes just over three hours, cheapest advance fare shown at £17.50 each way.

Bus from outside the station to the City Centre then another bus direct to the venue, cost £3.70 for a Plusbus ticket, takes about 40 minutes each way.

It can't be any further than Basingstoke which I did the year before last, would have gone this year but I've got a trapped nerve in my back which is restricting things at the moment so not planning it yet, but then again......

We try to give comprehensive local travel information on our website, it seems to me most local transport is for local people and assumes a degree of local knowledge. That's why I finished up walking to and from Basingstoke station :nono:

Our travel info is at:http://www.nottingham-modelrailway.org.uk/travelinfo.htm

Always by car. I used to go to the St Albans show by rail but the 'one engine in steam' policy on the St Alban's branch just means travel takes up too much time. Parking can be an issue, but the convenience of the car means it wins out all the time.

Regards

Since Mr B********G removed the nearest railway station long before I moved here, and there still is no public transport with in two miles of my house then It's Motorscooter weather permitting for up to 50 miles and car if further..

The Q

If I can get there by train I will,Glasgow is my favourite long distance show and Railex my top local show (David will know why) whenI I see a show that looks interesting I check rail fares and times and also how easy it is to reach the venue by bus ,sadly the bus connection is not always good.The car often comes out on top for many visits because of ease of journey for instance Pendon is nigh on impossible and my other half would not be happy changing buses etc ..As an earlier poster said many shows are out of town and that can be a problem but a problem that can be overcome by homework in advance.

I travel either by train or car dependent on shift pattern or leave, location and notice. It's train for stuff near London IE Railex, Expong and this year Scalefourum as these are well publicised in advanced and I can get the leave and stay a night or two in the Smoke do do quality control checking of the liquid refreshment. York last minute decision, Scalefour north at Wakefield, Expo EM Exeter, Wigan and Railwells will be by car.

The big deciding factors being cost, venue location availability of trains or in the case of Wigan a detour on the way to Holyhead for a holiday in Ireland to check on the standards of the Guinness and Porterhouse Red.

Cheers SS

PS. I usually travel with R. A. Watson of this parish.

But I dont always travel with him!

I always go on my own now, by train (and shuttle bus if reqd), only driving to my local Weston show.

When there, get a guide and view the layouts in order, possibly with a fly-by if some are busy.

Then a quick circuit of the traders. Then re-visit my favourite layouts, by then if it is less crowded the owner/operators

often seem to have more time to answer questions. Finally make any purchases near the end - usually books.

cheers

Archived