Tetleys Mills 3

tetleys

This has just been posted on finescalerr forum. Hopefully you don't need to log in to see this! Cobbling in all its glory - probably using Das or similar.

http://www.finescale...hp?topic=1983.0

Artizan,

thanks for the link, I suspect the layout must be 7mm but mighty impressive attention to detail, those are the standards I'd like to aim for but I don't think I'll achieve it within my time scale and the large area of layout that will be on view. No harm in trying though.

Dave

The scale is 1:22.5. Seems to be the favourite scale for the Germans to excel. On the second page there is a full description of how the cobbles were created with a square brass stamper into damp plaster (so not Das after all). Even the drain covers are handmade!

I fear further work may be curtailed. I did a 'Wiggins' this afternoon.

I couldn't resist a fabulous afternoon for a training ride but unfortunately I chose to use my summer bike with slick tyres, returning through the next village to Ancaster and turning a corner at a relatively slow speed I swerved to avoid a traditional Lincolnshire pot hole and the equally traditional agricultural mud on the road caught me out. The front wheel just went without warning and I hit the road like a pack of bricks. Every boney extremity down my left side hit the deck as well as my head, the missing skin will grow back but my helmet now needs replacing and I'm not too mobile for layout building.

So if you cycle, regardless of distance or speed please wear a helmet, first crash in 15 years of serious riding and my first spill but I survive to model another day.

Shaken but not deterred of Ancaster.

first crash in 15 years of serious riding and my first spill but I survive to model another day.

Someone once said to me that there are two types of cyclist: those who have fallen off, and those that are going to fall off! I belong to the former, and as per your experience they always come when you least expect them. I hope you recovery doesn't hamper your modelling.

Helmets can be replaced. Heads cannot.

A wise choice to have left home properly dressed, although I must say it's a rather extreme way of finding an excuse to slow down your progress!

Glad you're okay, and hope you're on the mend soon.

As one who has rearranged one or two parts of my body due to a couple of nasty stacks*, you have my utmost sympathy Dave. At least you haven't dislocated anything like I did!

Hope you're back doing the layout when the body says you can :).

Cheers,

Tim

* bike slang for crash

To all,

Many thanks for your kind comments but I posted as an advisory on the helmet theme rather than a quest for the sympathy vote but I should have known better than to venture out of the house at all this weekend, all the warning signs were there in plain view.

Friday discovered wife's car needs replacement power steering sensor and water pump ...................£400

Saturday morning less than three year old Flat screen TV went "Phut!"...............................................£350

Saturday morning en-route to Spalding model railway exhibition puncture in my BMW, tyre wrecked (ready for replacement anywayso bought 4)......................£410

Sunday afternoon bike spill new helmet and possible Shimano Ultegra brake lever and maybe more so God knows how much £.

Sunday evening julie's kindel packed up but hopefully will be replaced under warrenty.

I'm typing this in the understairs cupboard with sand bags surrounding me.

'Lucky' of Ancaster

P.S. more materials due on Wednesday so the railway build will resume.

and i fought i was unlucky last week .kettle blown ,iron went down and my 3 year old son decided to flood the toilet .get all your bad luck out the way in one go so you can get on with other things. saying that someone once told me bad luck runs in 3's so you should be one up on next time :no:

• RMweb Gold

:blush:

and i fought i was unlucky last week .kettle blown ,iron went down and my 3 year old son decided to flood the toilet .get all your bad luck out the way in one go so you can get on with other things. saying that someone once told me bad luck runs in 3's so you should be one up on next time :no:

Or with still two more to come.....

Sorry, :nono: :blush:

post-372-0-29402400-1352731883_thumb.jpg

Pending the arrival of fresh timber supplies I thought I'd post a few images of Friday's work, this shows the lower level track route that will not be scenic'd, it manages a radius of 3' but that is too tight to be seen in Polite Society.

post-372-0-48318000-1352732222_thumb.jpg

I couldn't resist adding a bit of scenery, re-cycled from Tetleys Mills, this retaining wall will be tarted up a bit but will form the approach to a tunnel portal yet to be crafted, probably from ply and DAS and hopefully based on one local to West Yorkshire, I may have to add some rock into the cutting but the Geology of this area of Yorkshire is a bit unusual in so much as the strata was composed of bands of sandstone interspersed with loose sand and a mixture of both hence the retaining walls at the foot of the cutting.

post-372-0-80420200-1352732622_thumb.jpg

Not yet finished and a loose fit but this is the high level track bed for Upper Batley interchange station consisting of a single island platform with minimal facilities and with a slow running line flanking each of the platform serving tracks. The slow running lines will actually act as additional storage since long mineral trains and other goods trains will be held between passenger services, all four tracks will disappear 'off scene' into a tunnel or beneath a low over-bridge before re-emerging as twin tracks to cross the planned reverse curve 13' viaduct. There will be an impressive stone retaining wall against the high level line beneath which will be a second station serving the low level lines assumed to represent the Wakefield-Dewsbury-Bradford line superceded by the new high speed link but which still carries local traffic serving several towns. The lower station will have rudimentery goods facilities just to give me a shunting option but I'd like to include a bit of urban clutter at slightly varying levels rather than fill it with track so the flat board in view will not be what is finally fixed in place.

I've been checking out EBay prior to offering the old Tetleys Mills buildings so I don't just plonk existing buildings in to an existing space and I can clear some storage out.

Great to see you are making progress with the new railway. Remember seeing the old one Dave and it was just fab, so have hi hopes for the latest model. No doubt Julie's trees will find a place as they were just great when I last saw them and I am still working on the courage to make some as good as those. My railway is planned to be 'completed' by my 70th - next May - so must plough on.

JP

I fear further work may be curtailed. I did a 'Wiggins' this afternoon.

I couldn't resist a fabulous afternoon for a training ride but unfortunately I chose to use my summer bike with slick tyres, returning through the next village to Ancaster and turning a corner at a relatively slow speed I swerved to avoid a traditional Lincolnshire pot hole and the equally traditional agricultural mud on the road caught me out. The front wheel just went without warning and I hit the road like a pack of bricks. Every boney extremity down my left side hit the deck as well as my head, the missing skin will grow back but my helmet now needs replacing and I'm not too mobile for layout building.

So if you cycle, regardless of distance or speed please wear a helmet, first crash in 15 years of serious riding and my first spill but I survive to model another day.

Shaken but not deterred of Ancaster.

Hope you get better soon mate!! lucky you had helmet on....

JP and others,

I still have Julie's trees but they have so much dust on them after 15 years I think the Woodland Scenics foliage may have to be re-cycled onto new frameworks. The down side of the new layout is that because I've tried to achieve maximum running length within a given area the width of baseboards precludes as much scenery as I would like but I'm sure there will be a need for trees. I probably will not be able to add a back scene board to facilitate access so photographers may have problems painting in a suitable sky. All things been equal though I think I'm going to enjoy the challenge of creating a plausible scenic setting for the railway given the constraints, as if the adoption of the 'black art' of DCC wasn't enough.

Archived