Tetleys Mills 3

tetleys

I thought I'd make a start on the new layout during Wednesday afternoon but although I had no other pressure on my time I just couldn't get going, is this 'modellers block' rather like writers?

It was all a bit overwhelming knowing where to start especially since Mrs. S has placed a load of photo albums on some flat baseboards and it all looks a bit cluttererd. I need to fix the 9mm ply to the sub base but in the end I just used a 8' by 2" piece of ply to work out some sweeping curves on the scenic section and used a tramel to check out the alignment of track,

It all seemed so simple on paper but it's looking like I need to reduce the radii on a lot more hidden curves but a friend's kit built locos negotiate tighter than ideal radii so I suppose it will all work out in the end.

I WILL MAKE A START soon.

*snip*

It all seemed so simple on paper but it's looking like I need to reduce the radii on a lot more hidden curves but a friend's kit built locos negotiate tighter than ideal radii so I suppose it will all work out in the end.

Dave;

Have/Will you be printing the plan out 1:1 for yourself? I found that once I had transferred my ideas into actual scale plans, there were many eye opening issues - some pleasant, some not.

I think we tend to generate perceptions that get stuck in our minds when working on a scale version of our trackwork, and it's only in the upscaling that we really see what we have created.

My 2c, anyway (which, I'm afraid, is only worth 1.5p ~if that ~ at current exchange rates!)

Scott

Jukebox,

I think drawing plans 1:1 is a good idea but I haven't got any old wallpaper although having a flat ply baseboard I can draw curves and radii on to that, of course if I wasn't a Ludite I could adopt Templot which I've seen put to very good effect by much cleverer modellers than myself but i've noticed since using my lap top I cannot even manage to correct upper and lower case sometimes!

I'm confident that I'll get there in the end, an employee down my builders merchant complained he never got to see Tetleys Mills so I showed him a few articles I had published, since they were available I perused them, I'm really going to have to pull out all the stops to better the old layout. One problem is that the new layout is using much narrower baseboards so there is not as much space to do the urban sprawl so I shall really have to get focused but I'm confident that given a little time I'll spot the potential cameo scenes and produce some urban 'grot' to set the railway in the 1950-60's.

You mention your Gresley P2, somewhere amongst RMWeb's archives are a few images I posted of my own 2-8-2 Wolf of Badenoch built by a friend now sadley deceased but who wanted me to own so I bought it at a give away price. I added a few extra details and re-sprayed it in BR Brunswick Green as 'the one that got away' from Edward Thompsons vandalism and retained for extra heavy East Coast wartime trains and running out it's final years and last major overhaul at Doncaster.

I wish you well with your P2. The world would be a better place with more P2's.

Dave S.

Jukebox,

I think drawing plans 1:1 is a good idea but I haven't got any old wallpaper

Dave S.

Dave

Cheap B & Q lining paper at £2.78 a roll is the answer - bought some yesterday for Danemouth,

Regards,

Dave

I'm in the same boat with track planning software - I know Martin is wonderfully supportive of Templot users, and that apparently most people "get it" after a few days... but I admit I have not had the patience to sit down and invest that time. I was lucky enough to have access to plotter at work, and was able to tweak the plans I did have so they came out at 4mm-ft. I'd still recommend taking Danemouth Dave's lining paper suggestion up if you can - even if not for the whole layout, but certainly for key areas. But then that's just the way I am wired - I need to "see" something sometimes, to fully appreciate its spatial relationship.

I've always been inspired by the cameos on your layout, Dave, so certainly will be keen to see how you fare with your new effort (it does need a name, though - I keep going to write Tetleys II, but as you have said, it isn't...).

The P2 is the next cab of the rank when my workbench gets back to normal. 12 months of rennovation, complete with dire workmanship, meant all bust the barest tools and projects got packed away for safety. I'm hoping to restart early in the New Year, now that I have a proper home for Stockrington. They are indeed majestic beasts - I'm quitely hopeful that Mark Allat and the A1 Trust team will be in a postion soon to sketch a timeline for building the next one!

I've always been inspired by the cameos on your layout, Dave, so certainly will be keen to see how you fare with your new effort (it does need a name, though - I keep going to write Tetleys II, but as you have said, it isn't...).

I actually already have a name for my new layout but I'm a bit cagey about spilling the beans too soon. Although Teteleys Mills is the name I'm associated with my new layout will not carry on the name or people will naturally compare 'like for like' and although I'm stricking with a West Riding steam theme I want to make a fresh start.

A very pleasant (as always) day spent with 'Great Northern' aka Gilbert Barnatt and his wealth of knowledge recently was productive in so much as we fine tuned my re-write of railway history and together we came up with a plausable location for the new layout.

I'll nail my colours to the mast and proclaim the new layout is going to be called Upper Batley . There will be a second station and that name will be revealed at some future post but will not be associated with a brand of beer, it will not be a compilation of real place names nor that of people I know but will be of an actual location. The name of the real location which I cannot now locate on an OS map I consider to be very quaint without being too 'Naff'.

Stay tuned and all will be revealed.

I actually already have a name for my new layout but I'm a bit cagey about spilling the beans too soon. Although Teteleys Mills is the name I'm associated with my new layout will not carry on the name or people will naturally compare 'like for like' and although I'm stricking with a West Riding steam theme I want to make a fresh start.

I'll nail my colours to the mast and proclaim the new layout is going to be called Upper Batley .

Not Typhoo Mills then? :P

A very pleasant (as always) day spent with 'Great Northern' aka Gilbert Barnatt and his wealth of knowledge recently was productive in so much as we fine tuned my re-write of railway history and together we came up with a plausable location for the new layout.

I'll nail my colours to the mast and proclaim the new layout is going to be called Upper Batley . There will be a second station and that name will be revealed at some future post but will not be associated with a brand of beer, it will not be a compilation of real place names nor that of people I know but will be of an actual location. The name of the real location which I cannot now locate on an OS map I consider to be very quaint without being too 'Naff'.

Hi Tetleys

Can I just say first off that I regard tetley mills as one of my top 3 layouts. Have followed ur posts/thread even when the old forum was running.

I just love the atmosphere that you created and just wish i could model even half good as you.

At present still in talks with the powers that be to get some space to be able to return modeling. and want to do something also to show the west yorks/riding

railways as was. Perhaps its because i am from this area that I love model railways based on this area so much. So sorry to those that build beautiful models of quaint branchlines

Anyway to 2 reasons for the post If our doing the area ' Upper Batley ' perhaps base it somewhat on the old upper Morley station, That said without any gradients you couldnt do Soot Hill lol, (tunnel still there)

If you want any photos etc from area let us know as i live here

Without appearing to hijack ur thread i have some recent photos of my local viaduct, shows how black the local landmarks still are and how good ur modeling is i could post if ur interested

anyway thanks for your time and i shall go back to lurking

All this talk of tea.

Way back in 1992 I bought my new Toyota MR2 T Bar (Ferrari Dino looks but with economy and reliability) anyway, I bought a personal registration A20 MRT (A 2 litre MR T bar) I've long since replaced the MR2 but retain the plate which has no relevence to my current car so my brother refers to me and my car as Mr 'T' So I suppose I could be associated with tea?

Anyway I digress, (As I often do.) Mrs. S. and I laid the concrete drive entrance this morning so today marks the official end of our house build, 29 months (plus 6 to demolish and re-instate the original house to gain access) with very little railway modelling in between but hopefully all that is history and my time can now be directed towards the railway re-build.

Upper Batley is the new layout name but although it is a real location, please do not expect a layout based on a prototype. I may well request photographs or plans for Great Northern station buildings in the West Riding because I've already said I want to raise my game and build better models but not be too constrained by reallity.

Gilbert (Great Northern) helped me fine tune my historical re-write to justify my new layout and this is a brief resume.

The GN and L&Y got their heads together and as a result the GN had free access to Halifax from Bradford via the L&Y via Low Moor line, the L&Y were meanwhile in liaison with the Midland in the hope of promoting their mutual interests in a cross Bradford link. Since the GN no longer needed to build their mega expensive Queensbury lines they were free to respond to the constant pressure from the Bradford business community to improve the direct link with London.

The result was a new high speed direct line from a high level station adjacent to Exchange cutting across and where necessary through the land to Lofthouse, north of Wakefield on the Leeds-London line, this will justify my viaduct and tunnel infested new layout. Upper Batley was an up-market suburb of Batley occupied by wealthy Victorian industrialists and so demanded an exchange station even though the line otherwise by-passed existing rail linked towns.Main line six/seven coach trains hauled by Pacifics all the way to kings Cross having collected direct coaches from Halifax that have arrived at Wakefield Kirkgate via the L&Y Calder Valley route.

Food for thought?

Batley is the home of Fox's biscuits (to which I possibly have a somewhat contrived family connection!). So they're the biscuits to go with Tetley's tea!

Come to think of it, one of my other distant relatives was a tea taster and ran a tea shop in Harrogate for some years!)

I thought I'd make a start on the new layout during Wednesday afternoon but although I had no other pressure on my time I just couldn't get going, is this 'modellers block' rather like writers?

It was all a bit overwhelming knowing where to start especially since Mrs. S has placed a load of photo albums on some flat baseboards and it all looks a bit cluttererd. I need to fix the 9mm ply to the sub base but in the end I just used a 8' by 2" piece of ply to work out some sweeping curves on the scenic section and used a tramel to check out the alignment of track,

Thank goodness for that. You are human after all. There's hope for the rest of us.

I have to admit, I assumed the "Tetleys" link was in homage to the beer? Dunno what that says about me, but I do prefer the Black Sheep option......

You are correct, Tetleys was in homage to the beer not the tea but since it's gone all 'smooth flow' for namby pamby drinkers I totally agree that I would rather partake of Black Sheep, (but only a pretty one) or Theakstones Old Peculier or, or........................

But I musn't get side tracked or I'll be hitting The Home brew instead of updating this post.

I am pleased to report that my previous 'Modeller's Block' appears to have sorted it's self out. I spent the afternoon working on Upper Batley I have made a start on the country section that only involves straight forward track without turnouts. Not that I'm at that stage but I fixed the 9mm ply to the sub base and have started to cut and fix the high level track profiles ready for the track bed. PVA glue and my trusty air brad nailer have been hard at work and I hope to have something worth photgraphing within the next day or so.

Now that I can see a three dimensional image I may have to involve the dreaded gradient on the lower track for aesthetic reasons just to reduce the disparity of levels when they are in close proximity on what is an 18" wide scenic section. I will NOT use gradients on the upper main line under any circumstances but the shorter local trains on the lower level can manage the 2" rise and I may even raise the track on the main station baseboard that is Upper Batley. I am using the prototype viaduct built and used on Tetleys Mills just before it met it's end and that has set the 7" seperation distance, the viaduct components many of which I have already cast and even painted are set in stone (or at least plaster of Paris) and the baseboards have likewise been built.

But I'm now hopefully in the groove so I'll try and post regular progress reports which will be accompanied by photographs.

Watch out guys.....

Dave is the only person I know who can have a beautiful layout finished, stops for while to build a whole new house from nothing and then starts a new layout and has that finished before us mere mortals have built their boards and laid a bit of track.

Arise Sir David 'Superman' Shakespeare. Never in the field of railway modelling has so much been done by one man..... :no:

Watch out guys.....

Dave is the only person I know who can have a beautiful layout finished, stops for while to build a whole new house from nothing and then starts a new layout and has that finished before us mere mortals have built their boards and laid a bit of track.

Arise Sir David 'Superman' Shakespeare. Never in the field of railway modelling has so much been done by one man..... :no:

Gordon

Thanks for 'bigging me up' but unfortunatley like Superman I'm allergic to.............. , now what was that substance?

Oh yes, now I remember, having just seen Saturday evening TV schedule .... It's Craptonight, (Never was much good at spelling!)

Clark Kent (Better not miss spell that or I'll be banned!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Agree it is crap on tv tonight,as soon as Mash is finished I am off for a play on my layout,and to dream of my new shed in January and a new bigger layout ,will watch the new creation with bated breath as it unfolds. ps my missus will be watching QVC and buying clothes.!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Right Dave, that's the low level station building sorted. It looks quite plain, so you should have it finished by Sunday. Then you just need to go to Sleaford, photograph and measure that lovely island platform building, and that will do fine for the high level interchange. I'm pleased to hear you have been able to make a start - it should all move on nicely now.

You are correct, Tetleys was in homage to the beer not the tea but since it's gone all 'smooth flow' for namby pamby drinkers I totally agree that I would rather partake of Black Sheep, (but only a pretty one) or Theakstones Old Peculier or, or........................

But I musn't get side tracked or I'll be hitting The Home brew instead of updating this post.

I am pleased to report that my previous 'Modeller's Block' appears to have sorted it's self out. I spent the afternoon working on Upper Batley I have made a start on the country section that only involves straight forward track without turnouts. Not that I'm at that stage but I fixed the 9mm ply to the sub base and have started to cut and fix the high level track profiles ready for the track bed. PVA glue and my trusty air brad nailer have been hard at work and I hope to have something worth photgraphing within the next day or so.

Now that I can see a three dimensional image I may have to involve the dreaded gradient on the lower track for aesthetic reasons just to reduce the disparity of levels when they are in close proximity on what is an 18" wide scenic section. I will NOT use gradients on the upper main line under any circumstances but the shorter local trains on the lower level can manage the 2" rise and I may even raise the track on the main station baseboard that is Upper Batley. I am using the prototype viaduct built and used on Tetleys Mills just before it met it's end and that has set the 7" seperation distance, the viaduct components many of which I have already cast and even painted are set in stone (or at least plaster of Paris) and the baseboards have likewise been built.

But I'm now hopefully in the groove so I'll try and post regular progress reports which will be accompanied by photographs.

Hmmmm! Theakestone! Quite a suitable name for the other station. Very evocative of West Yorkshire.

Nice to see you back in action. Looking forward to lot's of inspiration!

Regards

Bill

Tuvak,

Many thanks for the photgraphic link, it is a bit plain so I think I'll have to find a suitable alternative with a bit more 'bling' that's the trouble with prototypes reallity is often noth like as exciting as fiction.

As for Great Northern's suggestion for Sleaford Island waiting room there's an aweful lot of window frames! Fortunately I've plenty of time to do my research before I embark on making railway buildings there is a layout on the exhibition circuit that has some genuine GN stone buildings that look like Laisterdyke, I'm probably wrong but I will make something appropriate when the time comes.

Meanwhile Mrs. S is not happy carrying her shopping the length of the new drive from where she parks her car in the old garage so now the drive entrance concrete is probably set hard I've been banned from the railway room until I've cleared a space in the new garage. That is job No 1 after which it's back to Upper Batley.

Tetleys

Yes many of the GN stations on the lines long gone are a bit plain and also brick built not stone, morley top although bigger than Upper batley was boring looking station

again brick with main entrance at a lower lower level. As the line was high level coming in with exchange sidings also there and quite a large goods area,

The goods building still stands, now a ats garage

Morley Top Station

http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/images/donations/Simon%20Edgerton/Morley%20Top%201974/MorleyTop19.jpg

Morley Goods

http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/images/Ardsley%20Laisterdyke/Morley%20Top/DSCN4022.jpg

I think if i am not mistaken that Dudley hill was stone

There are some Architects drawings of it here.

http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/Ardsley%20Laisterdyke.htm

Yes Laisterdyke was stone with island platforms if my memory serves me correctly, there is also Bradford foster square that was an impressive station, along with the hotel

Archived