Tetleys Mills 3

tetleys

Strange, for some reason my post a couple of days ago seems to have disappeared. Perhaps I pressed the wrong button, but suffice to say your baseboards look superb, Dave. I'm sure there must be a team of 17 chippies slaving away at the bottom of your garden though.

Your progress is just phenomenal. Maybe it's because you've not much else to do... :D

• RMweb Gold

Dave,

It "may" have been the posh end until I moved in :mosking:

I'm going to the members day, I will be leaving early though (about 6.00am) to give Gareth a hand to set his stall up.

Let me know if you want to go and would like a lift.

Cheers

Ian

Dave,

It "may" have been the posh end until I moved in :mosking:

I'm going to the members day, I will be leaving early though (about 6.00am) to give Gareth a hand to set his stall up.

Let me know if you want to go and would like a lift.

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

Many thanks for the kind offer of a lift to The members day but my umbilical chord / ankle chain only stretches as far as Turnbulls Builders Merchants at Sleaford. I may well attend another time but right now we are working seven days every week, I have to say we'll be glad when our 'Gap Year' (from retirement) comes to an end.

if you're passing again this Sunday call in, your dog is also welcome Liz The hairdresser from near the signal box calls by with her dogs AND her horse although the animals remain outdoors.

Dave

Strange, for some reason my post a couple of days ago seems to have disappeared. Perhaps I pressed the wrong button, but suffice to say your baseboards look superb, Dave. I'm sure there must be a team of 17 chippies slaving away at the bottom of your garden though.

Your progress is just phenomenal. Maybe it's because you've not much else to do... :D

Gordon,

Sadly no 17 extra chippies on site but I'd be very glad of Seven Little Dwarfes when it comes to wiring under the baseboards, because I want to include my 13' viaduct, have two seperate circuits at two levels in a vaulted ceiling room it places the majority of boards at 745mm from floor level, I could make do with a limbo dancer I suppose, preferably female with a degree in electronics.

Dave

post-372-0-60103500-1341246772_thumb.jpg

This may look like a man trap but they are not pungy sticks designed to infect unsuspecting rivet counters but a load of clamps helping to hold a 2400mm length of 30mm deep 6mm MDF that not only finishes off the curved baseboard and hopefully when painted will present a nice facia to the layout as one enters the inner sanctum of 'The Man Cave' but will support the higher level of track.

post-372-0-21791100-1341247220_thumb.jpg

The MDF really didn't want to play ball but I bullied it into submission, PVA glue (dripping on my nice laminate floor) a quick application of a 'speed clamp' at the centre point of the curve, another couple of clamps about 30mm each side and a load of brads from my trusty air nailer, keep adding another clamp or two and follow up with yet more brads until the end of the board is reached. The clamps were left in situ for at least 12 hours and hopefully the MDF will remain in place

.post-372-0-71133700-1341247514_thumb.jpg

As soon as I had secured the MDF I used my table saw to make several identical pieces of 12mm ply all square with a hole drilled for later wiring using my cheapo but effective Screwfix auger bits. These pieces were glued and brad nailed to the baseboard and the MDF brad nailed into them from behind, this stops the tall MDF back board from leaning outwards althought that is exactly what the end of the board is doing but I am confident that once the plywood track support is dry I can brad nail the last bit of MDF to the top and it will be pulled back into line. and the whole lot will dry into an homogenous base for the upper track bed once I fix the 9mm Birch ply board. The lower track will be fixed to the main board just alongside and still leave the underside of the upper track bed accessable for the bus bar wire and droppers and importantly be accessable for fault finding.

I shall add further lengths of MDF at each end to support the high level lines, they also offer about 25mm of side wall protection against de-railed stock nose diving to the floor.

post-372-0-72394700-1341248627_thumb.jpg

As is my want I'll add a second post rather than one lengthy and possibly tedious one.

post-372-0-36958500-1341248740_thumb.jpg

A couple of images that illustrate what I've touched upon and that is my unconventional shaped baseboards. There are some excellent professional modular baseboard systems out there and Great Northern has used them to very good affect on his Peterborough North train set but because I'm trying to squeeze a quart from a pint pot whilst maintaining some semblence of a comfortable sitting area equipped room the track will not follow regular shapes.

I've mentioned that I have had to reduce my minimum hidden radii from 36" down to 30" but I shall be using all but a couple of ready to run locos and no gradients so I do not anticipate any problems and where the track is on view the radius will be a lot more generous, in fact the majority of track will follow long sweeping often reverse curves. Another compromise I have had to make is in the available baseboard for scenery, I originally intended to use a lot of my exisiting Tetleys Mills structures but I think I shall have to make a load of new stuff and even then the urban sprawl of Tetleys Mills will not be possible.

My recent images of the finished baseboards also shows that wheelchair access governs modern building regulations but I'm afraid anyone misfortunate enough to depend on such access standards will not fit between my boards, but take heart, nor will a lot of modern shaped people. I just hope I maintain my Greek God like figure (cue canned laughter) and flexibility into later life. I have incorporated a 'Great Escape' like crawling space and access hole in one corner to lay track, wire and maintaine it.

I need to return to fence building and a lot of driveway laying so work on the layout will dwindle again but I shall still be on RMWeb for any comments.

Have you thought of incorporating an open trough at the under edge of the baseboards for wiring? Then all it takes is a short set of wires to the relevant item from there. Would that make it easier to instal and/or maintain?

Interesting comment about wheelchair access. This room is upstairs isn't it? How do you get a wheelchair up the stairs then?

I couldn't resist joining in because, like many others Tetley Mill's was such a great inspiration together with the MMRS's Dewsbury Midland. I've always built layouts based around my beloved L&R but, strangely enough, the new work in progress has managed to creep ever eastwards and is becoming a, sort of, mini-Tetley's. I've also decided to take the plunge and 'come out' with a move to DCC and hand-built track (If I can persuade my grubby little hands to dig deep enough into my wallet!). So as one grumpy old man to another, many thanks for your inspiration and continuing good fortune with the new project (all of them!).

Artizen,

I take your point about getting wheel chairs upstairs but believe me future building regs will soon demand a lift well and in a few years a mineret just to stay P.C.

mythocentric,

There's no shame in moving East into God's county, one of the L & Y's biggest MPD's was at Wakefield and plenty of other activity in the West Riding, The Great Northern will certainly be calling on the L & Y's support (and cash) in their proposed venture that will become Tetleys Mills III although the new layout will not be called by that name. Keep on adding the muck and soot.

Dave

No shame indeed! I've always had a secret admiration for all things Great Northern. At the moment I'm working on the main buildings having decided to let Marcway deal with all that lovely handbuilt pointwork (11 including two 3-ways and a single slip in the station throat) so muck and soot abounds. I'm following sandside's techniques so I can blame him for the fact that I now have multi-ethnic hands (those kinky surgical gloves being in short supply in dear old Morecambe!). Thank goodness for copious amounts of tea. Tetley's of course!

Mythocentric,

Talking of all things Great Northern, Gilbert has convinced me that hand built pointwork is the way to go, I have previously built a lot of turnouts with paxolin, soldering, code 75 rail and I've admired Gordon S's long sweeping turnouts up close and his certainly do work perfectly but I know my own limitations. If all goes well and we manage to sell our current house I'll need to dispose of the cash before our family realise we've moved so I will probably buy Julie a couple of bags of garden compost to keep her busy while I commission a professional track builder. I will use SMP or similar straight track in the scenic areas and restrict the trusty , robust but flawed looking Peco 75 to the storage areas.

I suspect there are some RMWeb members in touch with the weather Gods, since I've mentioned I only work on the layout when the outdoor weather is unsuitable for building it hasn't stopped raining!

• RMweb Premium

Mythocentric,

Talking of all things Great Northern, Gilbert has convinced me that hand built pointwork is the way to go, I have previously built a lot of turnouts with paxolin, soldering, code 75 rail and I've admired Gordon S's long sweeping turnouts up close and his certainly do work perfectly but I know my own limitations. If all goes well and we manage to sell our current house I'll need to dispose of the cash before our family realise we've moved so I will probably buy Julie a couple of bags of garden compost to keep her busy while I commission a professional track builder. I will use SMP or similar straight track in the scenic areas and restrict the trusty , robust but flawed looking Peco 75 to the storage areas.

I suspect there are some RMWeb members in touch with the weather Gods, since I've mentioned I only work on the layout when the outdoor weather is unsuitable for building it hasn't stopped raining!

I may have a lot to answer for, and I admit to the DCC and hand made track "persuasion", but I do not have any control at all over the weather. I did tell you it was going to be awful though, didn't I? And even worse tomorrow it seems. Baseboards finished by Monday??

Gilbert,

Julie and I will be spending Friday and probably the whole weekend fencing, no, not getting rid of nicked gear and not duelling it's a horrible job especially since most of the holes are now full of rain water and 8' concrete posts and 1' deep gravel boards are b---y heavy. Sooner the job is done the sooner we can realise some serious modelling cash.

It could be worse, I could be waiting to play golf.

Dave

You and your other half deserve the award of the Golden Trowel for services to building works,hope the deluge doesnt stop your work ,we are off to an event raising money for cancer research, other half has had it twice but okay thank goodness.Its a twenty four hour relay so someone is going to get wet!The layout looks good baseboards superb.

You and your other half deserve the award of the Golden Trowel for services to building works,hope the deluge doesnt stop your work ,we are off to an event raising money for cancer research, other half has had it twice but okay thank goodness.Its a twenty four hour relay so someone is going to get wet!The layout looks good baseboards superb.

I wish you well and good luck with the fund raising, a bit of rain and mud pales when compared with illness and cancer touches most families at some time.

I will heartily second that. I lost my own sister to the big C and can only admire and applaud your fund-raising!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, just like to say thanks to you and Julie for taking us on the grand tour this afternoon, really hope we didn't take up too much of your time.

The new house is stunning, and that layout is going to be something else....if only I had the room.

Had to watch the BRM video of Tetleys Mills again when I got back in, it gives me some idea of what to expect on the new layout.

I really don't envy you putting up all that fencing or digging out all the post holes again.

If you need anything just drop us a PM via here and I can nip round, as long as I'm not working away.

Thanks again

Ian&Alison

Hi Dave, just like to say thanks to you and Julie for taking us on the grand tour this afternoon, really hope we didn't take up too much of your time.

The new house is stunning, and that layout is going to be something else....if only I had the room.

Had to watch the BRM video of Tetleys Mills again when I got back in, it gives me some idea of what to expect on the new layout.

I really don't envy you putting up all that fencing or digging out all the post holes again.

If you need anything just drop us a PM via here and I can nip round, as long as I'm not working away.

Thanks again

Ian&Alison

Ian,

It was a pleasure to show you round and no, you didn't slow us down with your visit, all the fence posts are now in situ front and back although we did have difficulty with the current very high water table in the back garden. I've just laid the concrete base for my 8' by 16' garden shed (it would make a very good model railway train shed for an outdoor O gauge layout). The timber arrives on Monday so hopefully the shed will be finished by Thursday.

Dave

The way your going you will start a new build mainline loco in your garden shed ! All teams at weekend raised £45000 with more donations to come ,fun but horrible in driving rain and lightning strikes,at least the Abba look alike band kept us entertained sat evening .Like the look of the curved mdf why not try a wheeled tea tray for laying on to do the wiring.

The way your going you will start a new build mainline loco in your garden shed ! All teams at weekend raised £45000 with more donations to come ,fun but horrible in driving rain and lightning strikes,at least the Abba look alike band kept us entertained sat evening .Like the look of the curved mdf why not try a wheeled tea tray for laying on to do the wiring.

If I have problems wiring the new layout I'll entice Great Northern over with the promise of bacon butties, after all he's responsible for me going over to the dark side and DCC so he can grovel about on the floor.

Que a retort from Gilbert.

• RMweb Premium

If I have problems wiring the new layout I'll entice Great Northern over with the promise of bacon butties, after all he's responsible for me going over to the dark side and DCC so he can grovel about on the floor.

Que a retort from Gilbert.

Wot! With my back! You'd still have to wire it for DC anyway. Nice try though.

• RMweb Gold

How fast!!!

There was loads to do, you really don't mess about.

MMMM nice sized shed, lots of interesting ideas about what can go in there.

When it comes to wiring the layout working upside down under baseboards isn't fun, I think you should hinge every baseboard so that they can lift up and work the right way up :mosking:

Gives us a shout if you need any help doing, it when you get round to it that is, I'm a sucker for bacon butties!

Hang on a minute though, finish off the garden shed, finish off the fence panels, finish off both houses.........so wiring will the layout will begin next weekend then :superman:

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

It was a pleasure to show you round and no, you didn't slow us down with your visit, all the fence posts are now in situ front and back although we did have difficulty with the current very high water table in the back garden. I've just laid the concrete base for my 8' by 16' garden shed (it would make a very good model railway train shed for an outdoor O gauge layout). The timber arrives on Monday so hopefully the shed will be finished by Thursday.

Dave

• 1 month later...

A quick update.

We are pushing like crazy to re-furbish our present house ready to place it on the market, the old railway room (as featured in various mags and here on RMWeb) is big and with a vaulted ceiling it took an age to re-decorate along with a couple of other rooms and some outdoor work but we are almost there.

In an effort to tidy up the new garage Mrs. S.and I have cut six or was it seven? sheets of 9mm birch ply to various sizes to cover the new sub base structure, I still need a few more sheets and I am not fixing the boards down until later. The room looks a bit of a mess with off cuts and various bits of timber so I haven't bothered to photograph it yet.

We hope to be in the new house by September but we've still got over 300 sq.m of brick paviours to lay for the drive so don't expect much railway modelling, after that lot even DCC won't be too daunting, should it?

Worn out of Ancaster

Archived