Tetleys Mills 3

tetleys

Oh, you are human after all.... :)

I saw the Tetley's thread and thought oh gawd, here we go again. He finished the track laying and the first loco is trundling round..... :D

I'm sure the new place will be magnificent, Dave. No doubt once the sale of the old one goes through you'll be back to warp speed modelling.

Keep the updates coming. It's been a wonderful journey, with so much more to come....

Well I've just come to this thread for the first Time And am sad to see the end of Tetley. I am Incredibly impressed with your work rate It make my almost into the third year of building the railway shed look puny. Your new board construction techniques are similar to what I intend to do for my layout Though I shall continue watching for ideas!. Your comment about Norfolk Broads pub prices are true, Which is why many pubs are closing here except for the pure touristy ones actually on the rivers. Those of us who live here or come here regularly to float about tend to visit the local supermarket or visit woodfords directly and then drink on board watching the world go by. As for woodworm every bit of wood in or part of my shed, is being sprayed with a woodworm killer as it's being built, My Garden is an old orchard and the old apple trees are full of the woodworm. I'm often to be seen in white disposable overalls, rubber gloves, face mask etc!

For Norfolk broads info Visit http://www.the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/ It's a very good site.

I look forward to seeing more modelling inpiration from you.

The Q

As for the roads I've to drive to Scotland from Norfolk on Friday and back on Sunday....... Try the A17 that is a road that should be at least Dual carriage way....

The Q

As for the roads I've to drive to Scotland from Norfolk on Friday and back on Sunday....... Try the A17 that is a road that should be at least Dual carriage way....

Q Timestamp.

I don't know what's wrong with the A17.A more tranquil rural bye road winding it's way through rural England you couldn't wish to find.

After that Ministry 'Spin'. a reality check.

Second only to the A14 as 'The death Road'. When I transferred to Lincolnshire Police in 1974 they had already built the Beckingham Bye Pass and The Sleaford Bye Pass was almost completed both dual carriageway. A friend was recently employed by Lincs Council to build a dual carriageway Leadenham Bye pass it was then planned to link them all up with constant dual carriageway from the Notts to the Norfolk County boundaries. (We were also promised three lane motorway the length of the A1 within ten years back in the 80's). The friend went on to build several more road improvements including the Heckington Bye pass that included two short stretches of dual carriageway because the junction layouts were cast in stone. No more lengths of dual carriageway were built and both short stretches of dual carriageway at Beckingham and Heckington were made into single carriageway chicanes to stop any chance of safely overtaking the constant stream of trucks.

If I had a £1 for every fatal and serious injury casualty I'd dealt with on the A17 the new layout would be finished few if any were caused by speeding rather it was frustration and unsafe overtakes, poor roads cause casualites and increase pollution through congestion.

Rant over. Glad you like the new layout, I'll keep the updates trickling in and hopefully the trickle will eventually become a stream and then a torrent as I finish house building.

Living in the Broads area I realise pub prices are higher than some other places. I suspect caused by low population, therfore less through put and therefore high barrellage charges from the brewers,the smoking ban and supermarkets that are allowed to sell alcohol at what appears to be cost. About time they were taxed more on their alcohol allowing pubs to get their beer cheaper from the brewers.

Sorry my rant over.

Quote from "Grantham Journal" :-A Plane from RAF Cranwell has come down in a field at Byards Leap in Ancaster this morning. Quote from "Cutler 2579l" :- its to be hoped the pilot was not looking at umpteen fence posts in the village and decided to have a closer look. :jester: :jester:

In all seriousness it does appear that nobody has been injured.

• RMweb Premium

Quote from "Grantham Journal" :-A Plane from RAF Cranwell has come down in a field at Byards Leap in Ancaster this morning.

I see their standard of reporting hasn't improved since I left in 1978 - or is it just that all local papers are equally as bad

A PLANE from RAF Cranwell has come down in a field at Byards Leap in Ancaster this morning.

The pilot was not injured in the incident, the Journal understands.

The plane concerned is believed to be a tutor plane. A witness, Mansell Beard of Willoughby Heath, Ancaster, contacted the Journal and described the plane as a “little white grub”.

Fire crews were called to the scene, which Mr Beard described as “quite peaceful”.

How can you describe a plane as a 'little white grub' - perhaps he mean Grob as decribed here http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/tutorgriffin.cfm and illustrated here http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/tutorrecognition.cfm

If the site of the crash is 'quite peaceful' - and if the pilot was OK then perhaps it was more of a controlled landing in a field than a crash?

Sorry to Dave for drifting even further away from the original topic . . . . .

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Not much modelling going on yet but I've finished 75 of the 305 sq.m of block paving so come the winter I hopefully should be back building baseboards in preparation for track laying and this awesome 'bus lead' I've heard so much about.

I have however hung all my John S. Gibb pencil artwork on the walls and Mrs. S. has insisted I fit the vertical blinds so the room is looking a bit more homely. I didn't have space for a couple of prints but Union of South Africa heading the Elizabethan in 1954 through Peterborough North may soon be hanging in a certain layout room elsewhere. I have also had time to reflect on the the scenic side of the new layout and although I intended to utilise a lot of the old Tetleys Mills buildings I may have to build a lot of new ones so I'll have to get back into EBay mood and flog some buildings as well as those locos not so easy to convert to DCC.

What a shame we cleared out all the handy size empty boxes from the back of the old house garage!

It makes winter worth looking forward to!

Skiing is the only good thing about winter but I will admit to welcoming the odd miserable rainy day when, with the central heating on and in the company of some dirty women (Tina Turner, Cher,Whitney Housten (God rest her troubled soul) etc on CD) I feel comfortable spending the whole day layout building. Talking of which we have an amber rain warning so, once I've done my admin work I'll be ascending the stairs to heaven leading into my railway room.

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken delivery of about 5 sq.m of un-sealed cork floor tiles in anticipation of finally finishing the house build (I'm on the home stretch of laying the 300 sq.m. brick paviour drive another five or six days good weather and then bring on the winter).

Great Northern has given me some wire to make a start on my own bus wire so I can soon fix the baseboards down and begin laying some track using the cork tiles as a base, I'm quite looking forward to embarking on a voyage of discovery with this DCC malarcky and once I have more free time I can concentrate on selling my surplus locos and buildings on Ebay to finance the DCC electronics.

Wish me luck.

See that your most disliked road is to have lots of money thrown at it by the DFT ,look forward to seeing your buildings appearing.

I read recently that the Government is considering making the A14 a toll road to build up a 'pot' for "future improvements" but when did any politician of any party ever keep his word? I've no doubt the road improvement pot will somehow be absorbed into a spurious black hole.

However we musn't get onto politics.

I have actually been giving my model railway buildings some thought since visiting great Northern and salivating over Gravytrain's unbelievable Peterborough North Station buildings. I'll never be able to match Peter's modelling skills but I originally intended to utilise as many of Tetleys Mills buildings as possible to speed up the finishing date but I now realise that I need to research some genuine Great Northern buildings from The West Riding and model those. There would otherwise be a danger of compromising the finished layout by making track fit my old buildings rather than create a more plausible railway scene.

I am using and extending the existing viaduct and that will be the scenic centre piece and my old mixed iron and masonary road over bridge will span the new station area although I'll need to raise the height a little, signal boxes will also re-appear and the better none railway domestic and commercial property. Tetleys Mills developed and was improved over several years but I don't intend to have a 15 year retirement project so I will need to make some compromises but I'm confident that the next layout will almost create it's self as I fine tune individual cameo scenes.

I am within a few days of finishing all major house and drive building work and so a start on the new layout is imminent so I hope to be a lot more active on this post with some images to add a bit of interest.

post-372-0-28961800-1350059438_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-86508700-1350059516_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-99454800-1350059586_thumb.jpg

14,000 drive bricks needed barrowing from the delivery point at the top of the drive so I suppose 14,000 solderderd joints to join my bus wire for DCC capability shouldn't be too daunting, should it?

Bad Back of Ancaster

Can you nip round and do our drive, Bad back? A good daily rate and all the tea you can drink.....

Looks fabulous!

Gordon,

Thanks for the employment opportunity but I've seen the standards you work to AND I'm still recovering from the last cup of tea I drank down south and I bet it's served in China cups in Wokingham !

I know you jest but having spent almost three years performing all the building trades I now know why I spent my working life being abused, desliked and expected to smile through it all, I could never have worked in the building trade, nice hobby though.

post-372-0-39688200-1350061730_thumb.jpg

G4S are quoting for building and running Police stations for Lincolnshire Police since their stirling performance at The Olympics along with Community Beat Officers will help me sleep easy at night. But I thought I might put a quote in and here's my prototype.

Actually a week's work to create a home for some of my tools It's not a ready made shed but it was fun and it would make a nice home for a model railway when i build my workshop extension next year or perhaps a weather proof store for a future 'O 'guage terminus?

Now there's a thought.

(Very ) retired of Ancaster.

Quick question - are they 'Marshalls Tegula' ?

Mike

Mike

No. They are Stonemarket Trident paviours 50mm in charcoal which matches my below damp course blue bricks and the touch of blue/ grey in The Ancaster limestone. I negotiated a deal of £16.50 a sq.m. with free crane off-load for the 305 sq.m. My builders merchant received them into their yard and 'drip fed' me packs as I needed them. I wanted a change from laying marshall's brindles in herring bone pattern.

This from the man who scribed several thousand Yorkshire cobbles in DAS, I really must get out more.

• RMweb Premium

That just goes to prove that my knowledge of paving is about the same as my knowledge of railways as they look very similar to what we have - whatever they are they certainly look good and so does the house - you must be very proud to have done all that yourself :sungum: and as you say, it's totally different to the old day (and night) job - must have a sneaky look next time I visit brother-in-law.

Mike

That just goes to prove that my knowledge of paving is about the same as my knowledge of railways as they look very similar to what we have - whatever they are they certainly look good and so does the house - you must be very proud to have done all that yourself :sungum: and as you say, it's totally different to the old day (and night) job - must have a sneaky look next time I visit brother-in-law.

Mike

Mick,

Who is your brother in law, is he living in Ancaster?

Don't worry about your knowledge of paving, Stonemarket are part of the Marshalls group so I'm sure the pavers are the same as yours but marketed under a different name.

I was pleased to receive a visit from my mate Gilbert aka Great Northern today and as always we've chewed the fat over Peterborough North and my own new projected layout. Gilbert's opinion is always welcome and he's sowed several seeds for thoughts regarding the location and indeed the new stock requirements plus proposed train destinations for the new layout which all helps to stimulate me into action in the next week. i hope to have some images to post soon on the progress of the layout.

Should have been on Grand Designs ,lovely house and the paving adds the finishing touch enjoy your modeling.

GRAND DESIGNS!!!!!!!GRAND DESIGNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's all that about?

Thanks for the compliment but I don't think I could have coped with changing the design five times,

Falling out with the tradesmen.

Running £50,000 over budget.

Living in a caravan with three snotty nosed kids and two large wet smelly dogs for two years.

The banks threatening to send in the bailiffs,

Julie spending £5000 on a bath.

And just as things couldn't get much worse...................................

Great news Kevin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julie is pregnant.................................... And she's 60!

I think I'll stick to RMWeb.

Archived