The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

• 1 month later...

That's right Peter, the 'new' old Horton Road footbridge.

I need to start branching out as I now have loads of pics of 60s from here and the Stockley Road footbridge a little further East but there are not a lot of good spots this side of Acton.

West Drayton is only a 20 minute walk away too which is an advantage!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

According to a TOPS list from earlier today 60066 worked 6E08, 10.04 Wolverhampton St

eel Terminal to Immingham Sorting Sidings.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H38628/2018/03/02/advanced

Do those timings fit in with when and where you saw it?

According to tops it never went past Witton station I saw it around 11.40am?

Not been from this area I don't know the rail network that well but looking at the timings it went early then very late as it past locations on its route I can only assume it may have encouted problems of one sort or another? Thanks for information!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

After assorted solo and double-headed Colas class 56s over recent weeks on the Lindsey Oil Refinery and Preston Docks bitumen tanks, it was back to usual traction today with 60056 in sole charge.  The rarity in this part of West Yorkshire was that the sun was actually out as 60056 approaches Brighouse with 6E32, 08.52 Colas Ribble Rail to Lindsey Oil Refinery.

post-414-0-92307200-1523279489.jpg

• Like 15

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

With news that Colas has sold five of its ten class 60s to GBRf, retaining the five fitted with long range fuel tanks (60002, 021, 026, 056 & 096) this might be the last time that 60087 works the 6M32/6E32 Lindsey Oil Refinery/Preston Docks bitumen tanks.

60087 heads through the arboreal tunnel between Elland and Brighouse on 1st June 2018 with 6E32, 08.55 Preston Docks to Lindsey Oil Refinery, bitumen empties.

post-414-0-30643600-1527882556.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

the question is do i go with them to their new home?

I'm not really a class 60 fan,  they are a bit past my period but i'd like to ask you folks who are class 60 devotees a few questions.

1. I'm i right in thinking this was the last build/designed BR class loco

2. why do I see so many photos of them laid up...are they a bad design?

3. how many where build/when and how many are left?

thanks

B

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not really a class 60 fan,  they are a bit past my period but i'd like to ask you folks who are class 60 devotees a few questions.

thanks

B

1. Think so.

2. Not a bad design per se, just that EWS/DBS had a fixation with 66 for awhile until they realised that the fuel cost of one 60 was way superior to that of two 66s on the heavy trains.

3. 100 built. All survive, but not all will run again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

thanks

B

1. Think so.

2. Not a bad design per se, just that EWS/DBS had a fixation with 66 for awhile until they realised that the fuel cost of one 60 was way superior to that of two 66s on the heavy trains.

3. 100 built. All survive, but not all will run again.

The last locomotive built for BR was 58050 which I understand is scheduled for preservation.

The last locomotive built for BR was 58050 which I understand is scheduled for preservation.

Suspect 58050 was the last diesel locomotive built *by* BR. The 60s were built by Brush in the late 80s / early 90s.

• RMweb Premium

IIRC EWS didn't want to put the 60's through the major overhaul that was due at , I think, 8000 engine hours or so, so they were gradually sidelined.  Then as Mick says above economics of real heavy haul started to come into play and eventually the 60 rebuild process started at Toton.

Jamie

• Like 1

Odd how neither the final diesel (60) or electric (92) locos built for BR have fared well in terms of usage. Natural assumption would have been that these would have been fully utilised while older locos were retired.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So why are colas willing to sell all 10 of there 60’s anyway,haven’t they the need for them anymore?I wonder if today is the last time I see Dunbar on the Preston to Lindsey tanks?attachicon.gif42F48055-0382-4ECE-B5FC-1D17581F2B9F.jpeg

That looks like the descent of Copy Pit just shy of Portsmouth crossing.

Possibly because they have lots of 70s that are being under utilised and GB made them an offer for the 60s they can't refuse.........

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1