Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

Guest spet0114

According to "Locomotive Liveries of the LMS" by David Jenkinson & Bob Essery The following L&Y 2-4-2T with round top boilers and short bunkers were painted in pre-1928 LMS Crimson Lake Livery with 14" numerals on the tank side and the LMS Coat of Arms on the bunker side, ex. L&Y number in brackets:

10621 (1008);10637 (1040); 10683 (349); 10699 (1214);10732 (104); 10735 (129); 10776 (1343); 10807 (1391). In addition 10730 (88).carried the same livery but with LMS in small letters on the bunker side.

The observant among you will note that the first on the list, 10621 is the preserved 1008! Therefore as long as the smoke box and front hand rail had not been changed in early LMS it would be very simple for this model to be produced, if in fact it has not already been done! (I have no inside knowledge!) I am fairly certain that someone has already drawn attention to this earlier in this topic. 

On a related point, when would 1008 have gotten its lamp irons? I note that the NRM model lacks the conventional lamp irons seen on the other Bachmann models, though it does have some cylindrical fittings that I presume are the L+Y equivalent?  I suppose it was the LMS that fitted the conventional ones?

10621 in Crimson Lake would be a very nice model to have!

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by spet0114

• RMweb Gold

My apologies, I should have checked first rather than relying on what I thought I had read. Crimson Lake is certainly is an interesting option, however as I already have 1008 and have pre ordered 50636 I dont think I can justify a third.

We already had the age of self-certification .Why not self-justification?

Bob at Alton Model Railway Centre in Hants sent me this today, and well pleased I am with both the service and this little Lanky Tank............

post-6680-0-36711300-1387028820_thumb.jpg

Plenty of rivet detail on the running plate and neat later style smokebox door with opening cleats....

post-6680-0-33479700-1387028823.jpg

Rivets on back of bunker too.....

post-6680-0-87985200-1387028824_thumb.jpg

A real one with push pull gear and extended coal rails passing Lees MPD, Oldham in 1953...

post-6680-0-62834000-1387028826_thumb.jpg

Photo by Jim Davenport, Brian Green Collection.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 11

Guest spet0114

The L & Y 2-4-2T is surely a contender for model of the year in my books :imsohappy:

Certainly a contender and let's hope that Bachmann can maintain the high standard with next year's Dukedog and 2015's atlantic! :)

My BR Liveried 2-4-2T arrived today which allows comparison with NRM version. See photo of the real 1008 attached, at the NRM a few weeks ago during the Great Gathering. The photo confirms that Bachmann have modeled 1008 in its original condition, as preserved with a single lamb holder above the right buffer beam, which Bachmann have omitted, and what appears to be twin lamb holders on the top of the smoke box which have been represented. It also seems obvious why Bachmann decide not to fit sprung tapered buffers to 1008, which would have been quite delicate. The more substantial Hoy style buffers on 50636 are sprung.

In Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Locomotives by Barry Lane there is a drawing of 1008 in the book representing it's appearance from the mid 1890s by which time conventional lamp irons had been fitted but it still retains the original buffers. A photo (c1908) of 1263 (BR 50712) shows it fitted with the Hoy Buffers as fitted to 50636. All the other photos of locos from that period show them fitted with the Hoy buffers, so it is possible that 1008 had them fitted at around that time. There is a photo of 1008 as LMS 10621 in Crimson Lake livery and the buffers had been changed by then. The other modification applied by the early 1900s was two clamps to the bottom of the dished smokebox door.

A model of 10621 (1008) in Crimson Lake Livery would be slightly different to the NRM Model. It would retain the dished smokebox door, probably with the addition of the two clamps, and Ramsbottom safety valves. The curved hand rail round the top of the smoke box was still present but conventional lamb irons would be needed. The buffers would be replaced by the Hoy Pattern as fitted to 50636. Not major changes so perhaps a Crimson Lake version could be produced without to much modification!

Overall Bachmann have produced another stunning model for the LMS following the 4F and 10000/1 and there is still the 1F and the Stanier Mogul to look forward to. That is in addition to the Dukedog and the J11 which should arrive very soon with the Auto Pannier, E5 and Brighton Atlantic to follow over the next couple of years.

It will be very interesting to see Hornby's response in less than 36 hours time following the slight disappoint of the Star!

post-4790-0-87246100-1387057352_thumb.jpg

Edited by Unknown Warrior
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't resist temptation after visiting Arcadia yesterday and ended up buying all three versions! I think I may become addicted to this model! LOL!

One thing that is different from the NRM 1008 is the buffers, which are moulded on 1008 but sprung metal ones on the other versions.

Edited by Peter Crichton (Savoyard)
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I await a Coal Tank with even greater fervour and hope - the NRM version (which I have) is lovely and the others look smashing but alas they never accompanied the L&Y coaches that were banished to South Wales.  So roll on a Coal Tank to this standard please Mr Bachmann.

And please make it 58926.

I visited the Arcadia site & although I can see the loco there seems to be no way to add it to the basket ?

I wonder does any other site have it ?

Tony,

Suggest you ring Tim tomorrow - he  had some left yesterday.

• RMweb Gold

I feel very fortunate as, when my regular supplier (Alton Models) had the Lanky Tank, I assumed at least the box shifters would have them.

Don't Bachmann now operate a policy of supplying the smaller ( real) retailers first...giving them priority ? I seem to remember a discussion on this forum a couple of years ago on this very point.If that is still the case,it seems to be working,so, well done Bachmann.

• Like 1

Bob at Alton Model Railway Centre in Hants sent me this today, and well pleased I am with both the service and this little Lanky Tank............

attachicon.gifWEB Lanky tank 1.jpg

Plenty of rivet detail on the running plate and neat later style smokebox door with opening cleats....

attachicon.gifWEB Lanky tank 2.jpg

Rivets on back of bunker too.....

attachicon.gifWEB Lanky Tank 3.jpg

A real one with push pull gear and extended coal rails passing Lees MPD, Oldham in 1953...

attachicon.gifWEB Lanky tank 5.jpg

Photo by Jim Davenport, Brian Green Collection.

Once again coachman I have  cause to complain about you .You keep showing those lovely  LMS coaches you make and make me lust for for one or ten .Sadly I cannot afford them so stop showing them please .They look great and although I have a NRM version the LMS one keeps calling  thanks to your photos .

Guest spet0114

Depends on which Atlantic you mean......he muttered mysteriously......

Oooh, do tell! :)

I've ordered the SR version of the H2, but a GNR version would be snapped up in a trice. I think that if I was the NRM, I'd be pestering Bachmann for a model of 251....

Cheers

Adrian