Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi all

One of the layout plans I have been considering is David Jenkinson's Dent Head Junction

attachicon.gifimg021.jpg

But, one problem on my mind is can I use this plan and should it be called DH Jct because obviously I can't ask his permission?

Ian

Hi Ian,

You could call it 'Arten Gill Jnc' ? Its only a few hundred yards north of Dent Head

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I have 22ft of length inclusive of the end curves so my plan won't sprawl as much, part of the compression will result from using Peco points which are not as long as scale ones which DJ used.

Ian

Now this sounds VERY promising! I hope you'll start a thread in the S&C section. The more active layouts on here, the better.

Jeff

We try our best.. We are the ones that keep the railway working you know!

DJ's layouts were quite big, I whish I had seen the little long drag! (It must have been a big old building that one!)

My brother 'plays trains' on a 7mm layout somewhere near Shropshire that is in a barn and is huge!  If only i had some money, I'd buy something big for my toys!

Andy G

Hi Andy,

point of order here 'We are the ones that keep the railway working you know!

I always thought when I was a BR fitter at Toton that 'we kept the railway working!' I did have a box of VERY BIG spanners to carry around you know.

Here's a old 'railway' question, let's see who's the first to get the correct answer from the NON-RAILWAY employees...

"WHAT IS THE LIGHTEST THING ON THE RAILWAY" ?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Andy,

I always thought when I was a BR fitter at Toton that 'we kept the railway working!' I did have a box of VERY BIG spanners to carry around you know.

Here's a old 'railway' question, let's see who's the first to get the correct answer from the NON-RAILWAY employees...

Cheers

Mike

Easy, the trespasser's brain!

• Like 1

Jeff

I've been following this thread for the last few weeks. What an inspiration.

The amount of information and skills knowledge on here is amazing. The only problem is keeping up with all the posts.

Looking forward to seeing this layout progress.

I now consider myself to be a Lurking Lunester. (Well I can't be a true one, I live in the wrong part of the country)

Mike61680 asked: Here's a old 'railway' question, let's see who's the first to get the correct answer from the NON-RAILWAY employees...

I'm almost tempted to say it's the hot-air produced by TOC/Network Rail chiefs when they get it wrong and try to pass the buck down the ranks, but that wouldn't be very polite would it?

Regards

Bill (Sarky Lunester):)

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff

A vote for the dry-stone walling as shown in RM (?). Time consuming but very effective. I've seen similar walls on layouts at exhibitions, usually Welsh narrow-guage, but it does make an amazing difference to it's appearance. Treat it like ballasting, a little at a time. I'm sure you'd be delighted with the result plus adding another skill to your portfolio!

Regards

Bill (Back To Normal Lunester)

• RMweb Premium

The heaters have been on in the bunker for about an hour. Haven't been back in since, so I don't know if it's making any noticeable difference!

Hi Jeff

A vote for the dry-stone walling as shown in RM (?). Time consuming but very effective. I've seen similar walls on layouts at exhibitions, usually Welsh narrow-guage, but it does make an amazing difference to it's appearance. Treat it like ballasting, a little at a time. I'm sure you'd be delighted with the result plus adding another skill to your portfolio!

Regards

Bill (Back To Normal Lunester)

Yes, Bill. Over a period of a few weeks it ought to be possible to produce what's needed! No wonder some people think modellers are crazy!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I've been following this thread for the last few weeks. What an inspiration.

The amount of information and skills knowledge on here is amazing. The only problem is keeping up with all the posts.

Looking forward to seeing this layout progress.

I now consider myself to be a Lurking Lunester. (Well I can't be a true one, I live in the wrong part of the country)

Thanks for that - nice to know that some of this is useful! And you are a "Lurking Lunester" no longer, since you've now posted on here.

Where you live doesn't matter. It's the spirit - and the insanity - that counts!

Feel free to join in. The more contributors, the better.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

The heaters have been on in the bunker for about an hour. Haven't been back in since, so I don't know if it's making any noticeable difference!

Jeff

I too have been down to the shed turned up the heating and can join you for a full day (weekend) on the project soldering wires on to points & getting some track down.

I have just been reviewing a couple of your earlier items on here such as gaps between track to allow for expansion (the index really is a big help). Looking back at where you are now its difficult to believe that you at some time have been a relative novice and asking questions like "what's a shim"

I only hope that I can come half as far as you have in a very short time

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Billy! I'll make it clear that there are still loads of places where I class myself as a novice. But I'm willing to listen to what others have to say. As Andy (uax6) said yesterday, if you ask a question on here you sometimes get a hundred different answers!

I hope your soldering goes well. My first task is stripping back insulation on the bus wire - which isn't the easiest of things to do...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

Thank you.  Don't go to any trouble, it was more of a generic question.  I modell 009 at the moment but when we move I will probably need a 00 layout to run the most famous E2 in the world.  (Grandchildren you see.)  Although the layout is set in Wales in 1895 and therefore in Cambrian territory the rolling stock available is all etched brass, and I do not solder (yet) and the locos are of the same type.

This means that it is likely to run stock from the GWR or LWSR, or even the LNWR.  As the locos are the main problem I will probably use R-T-R which would put it forward into the first ten years of this last century.  I know bogie stock was coming in more then for main lines, but not so much on branch lines.

Also, I suppose it is due to my narrow gauge influence, I just like 4 & 6 wheel coaches.

Finally, if I remember rightly there was a photo of you on Littleport Signal box.  Well, that is where my future daughter-in-law comes from, although she has moved away from home.

Chris,

I did a bit of reading up (Oh how I like reading about coaches!) and discovered that the Midland were the first company to introduce bogies on coaches in the mid 1870's.

With regards to your coaching stock when you move, the good old Ratio kits are good for GWR 4 wheelers. For LNWR 6 wheelers you could look out for the old K's kits, or you could bash the Ratio LNWR bogies. For the underframe I'd go with either a Slaters or branchline clemenson with scratchbuilt sideframes. Keep an eye on ebay, both the GWR and LNWR ratios come up cheaply, I quite often get them built up for about £3 and then strip them down to cut the sides up. The LNWR had some nice 40 ft ex radial non corridors that you can make easily out of pairs of LNWR corridor 3rds. (I can email a photo of a half built one to you if you want).

Not sure what the roxey plastic kits are like, but I'm sure they will be useful too.

I've done a couple of etched carriages now, they go together quite easily, and I use normal eleccy soldier on them too!

You're future daughter in law is very sensible for leaving Littleport!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Well after over 3 hours in the bunker what have I got to show for it?

I went in there with the idea of starting to fit the bus wires..... Ha Ha Ha Ha...... get the idea?

Amazing what you see that has to be done before you can do the job you intended. The baseboard is set on risers. However, I'd decided (3 months ago) to put a few extra ones in underneath the fiddle yard at the viaduct end. Guess what? I'd forgotten about them - and they have to be done NOW or it'll be really difficult with the bus wires in place.

Much swearing and cursing.....  :O  :O

Anyway.... 2 of the 3 extra supports are now in place. Time for coffee and then I'll go and fit the other one. So that'll be today's (unplanned) work!

It's up to 12C in the bunker and I'm actually sweating crouched under the boards with 2 jumpers on!

Track bus wise. I've got 20m of 50/0.25 red and 20m of 50/0.25 black wire. Makes a superb power and signal conduit. The only problem is stripping the insulation off at regular intervals to allow for soldering-on the droppers. The plastic insulation is tough! That's this evenings task - wire on the kitchen table, wire and craft knife at the ready!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

At least you are warm... I think I've got a gas leak near/in the box. No gas heater and have been told to turn off anything that creates arcs, so that the eleccy heaters off too then! I've also got to have the doors open....it's 13*C at the mo, after half an hour of openness!

Hoping they turn up soon and say it's either a leak or not. Thank God I've got gloves with me!

Was going to do some painting/sanding, but I can't grip anything, and the paint wont dry either.  humph.

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Well the gas man has just left and I was right, a gas leak on the operating floor! So the door is now shut and the ellecy heaters are now on full, 8*C here at the minute!

Still no modelling going on, but I can now go to Ally Pally as my day off has been approved. Who will i see there on the Saturday?

A blue Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Hoping you warm up soon, Andy! I've just finished for the day in the bunker. Once I got going I really enjoyed it. All the risers I intended to put in near the line of the track bus are now fitted (you may ask "why didn't he just fit them ALL at the start - I couldn't until all the track droppers and Cobalt wiring was in place. Knowing my luck, I'd have fitted a riser right under a Cobalt - which was the whole avoidance plan in the first place!).

So I may get some wire-stripping done later. Then we'll see what tomorrow brings. 

Good to be back in the bunker, irrespective of temperature.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear you have been out in the bunker today Jeff, and that you enjoyed it; I was worried there that you had lost your mojo a bit, easy to do when the tasks in hand are boring, repetitive ones but those are the ones that it is important to get right. 

I'm lucky to an extent, in that most of the tasks ahead of me now are detailing ones which will finish off the scene, with a couple of buildings left to knock together too (including the most important - the signal box). The only real pain in the backside job I still have to do is to surface the goods yard, which will entail ballasting with Copydex and then cobbles, loads and loads of cobbles.

• RMweb Premium

It took a bit of a mental push to go outside at 6.30 this morning and put the heaters on. Then I was a bit annoyed that I couldn't do what I'd planned - but once I got the circular saw whirring away I was fine. And since it all worked out really well, I'm pleased I got on with the job.

I think one of my problems is that the job I really want to do is just round the corner - building the scenics over the fiddle yard. Other things can seem a nuisance, but they have to be done!

I'm going to put one more riser arrangement in place tomorrow morning and then I'll drill some holes and fit part of the bus wire. As I write this, the bus wire sits on the kitchen table waiting to be cut into with a sharp knife! 

Hope to get some underboard photos posted tomorrow.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Did you know Jeff that you are now in googles radar? I did a search for S&C 1960's steam in google images, and there were the photos of your pair of viaducts!

Didn't find what i was looking for, train formations....:-{

Andy G (more of a pink colour now)

• RMweb Premium

Did you know Jeff that you are now in googles radar? I did a search for S&C 1960's steam in google images, and there were the photos of your pair of viaducts!

Didn't find what i was looking for, train formations....:-{

Andy G (more of a pink colour now)

So my viaducts are in Images for the S&C are they? Wow! I'll go onto Google and check this out. Always knew they put rubbish on there! Cheers Andy.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Cheers

Mike

I think it is something like Grub Water Rest, i.e. a railway insult so I will go with

X's pay packet  where X = the railway group I'm in (Signalmen, fitters, drivers etc)

or

as Mythocentric said the managers hot air

By the way Mike, did you have any female spanners?  You probably know that a female spanner is caled a Wrench.  :yes:

• RMweb Premium

Interesting! A Google Image search of "S&C viaducts Grainger (my surname)" comes up with 8 pictures of the viaduct under construction on page 1, along with a photo of your 2 cats (as in your avatar), Andy!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

I did a bit of reading up (Oh how I like reading about coaches!) and discovered that the Midland were the first company to introduce bogies on coaches in the mid 1870's.

With regards to your coaching stock when you move, the good old Ratio kits are good for GWR 4 wheelers. For LNWR 6 wheelers you could look out for the old K's kits, or you could bash the Ratio LNWR bogies. For the underframe I'd go with either a Slaters or branchline clemenson with scratchbuilt sideframes. Keep an eye on ebay, both the GWR and LNWR ratios come up cheaply, I quite often get them built up for about £3 and then strip them down to cut the sides up. The LNWR had some nice 40 ft ex radial non corridors that you can make easily out of pairs of LNWR corridor 3rds. (I can email a photo of a half built one to you if you want).

Not sure what the roxey plastic kits are like, but I'm sure they will be useful too.

I've done a couple of etched carriages now, they go together quite easily, and I use normal eleccy soldier on them too!

You're future daughter in law is very sensible for leaving Littleport!

Andy G

Thanks Andy,

The information is very interesting.

I could put out a thread hijack warning but to be honest I think that although 9Fs & Britannias are nice, once Jeff has finished his layout and started building coaches he will really want something a bit different and realise just how nice victorian engines were and how boring Mk1 coaches are compared to multi compartment six wheelers with toilet facilities.

I did not buy 'LNWR 30ft 1in six wheeled carriages' as I do not necessarily have a specific interest in the LNWR but now it is out of print I fancy a copy.

I have got some Ratio 4 wheelers and will be putting Shire Scenes coach sides on them.  I have started one and it is the first time I have worked with brass so it is a steep learning curve.

I have also seen the Ks kits but as I think they do not have floors it would take a bit of fettling to get something that looked reasonable.  Also being white metal I wonder how they would easily be part of a train of lighter plastic or brass coaches.

I have three Kemilway 6 wheel Cambrian coaches which are not the easiest to work out how to put together, and in fact started a thread on six wheeled coaches to get help and I was pointed in the cleminson underframe but not sure whose.  I am sure I can sort out the Kemilway sides but that is for the future.

I can see that I will have lots of coaches, all filled with people and not a proper engine to pull them.