Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Well I have trawlled the Railways archive site and only come up with details for two more S&C trains, both in LMS days:

1927 14th may. 12.47pm Carlisile to St Pan.

4-4-0 1012 + 4836 3rd + 162 full brake + 130 3rd + 3485 vest compo + 69 12 wheel compo diner + 62 Compo brake

1929 12th Feb. 9.30pm St Pan to Glasgow

Claughton 5977 + G&SWR 6wh brake van 6393 + 6wh cct 5649 + all steel bogie brake 7067 + all steel bogie brake 7352 + all  

steel bogie brake 7969 + corridor compo 9328 + 12wh 1st sleeper 2768 + 3rd sleeper 14244 + corridor 3rd 271 + all steel

bogie brake 7850 + Metropolitan ry 6wh milke van 06002 + all steel bogie brake 5280

Note in the last train the 'cyhpered' met milk van with an 0 infront of it's number.

Off to think about my viaduct in a box!

Andy G

Intersting few posts Jeff, I thought that the shop keeper who advised on multi pick up locos for testing has probably never built a propper model railway, OR  wanted to sell the Black 5, hahaha

I have looked at quite a few sites and it has been a bit quiet this weekend, every one must be out on there slays. :no:

The wiring pics show a good sence of get it right first time, and it should pay dividens in the long term, resulting in good running.

I was also interested in how far from the underside of the board you have placed your bus bar, that makes a lot of sence, so if you drill through the baseboard you can do it with safety.

Get the heater on and enjoy, :O  still snowing in S/ Derbyshire. :scratchhead:

Old Lune :sungum: .  

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Once you have your Cobalt's in place looks like reasonably good access to the bus wires & droppers, well thought out but still a fair bit of time crawling around on your hands & knees

If you look back, Billy (see eg. post 2148), you'll find that nearly all the Cobalts are already in place. I need to get another 3 to finish off all the planned turnouts. The Cobalts simply need a connection (from terminals 2 and 3 on the Cobalt input) to the track bus and they should be ready to work (frog polarity will need sorting, but that's a 5 minute job).

Evening Andy. I've tried to give myself plenty of working space and having the boards on risers helps with the accessibility. Let's hope it helps with the reliability too!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I reckon it is quiet because of the weather, nobody fancies going out so everyone is getting on with modelling. I, for instance, have been at it for hours today (see my thread for details, I can't be arsed to type it all out again :D).

I had a thought earlier; I reckon I'll be close to finishing in six months time as most of what is left to do now is detailing jobs with a couple of buildings to make as well. Then it is time to start on rolling stock, weathering and the kits I have (Comet chassis for my old Airfix 4F, Phoenix push-pull coaches, London Road 4-2-4 kit, finish off the Judith Edge industrial I started last year, etc). I am really looking forward to it :)

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jason.

I'd have liked a full day in the bunker but my educational commitments put paid to that! As it happens, I did get something done, but the previous 2 days of 6 hours/day in the bunker was a real pleasure.

I've just ordered another batch of 6 Cobalts, so that should more than sort me for those.

I've also been looking at how I'm going to start the landscaping work, with the area at left front of the viaduct (the rise from the river) being my start-point for the first "frames" I'll build.

You are one of the 2/3 people who have turned me into a scratchbuild addict. For that I am very grateful!

I'll nip over to Bacup and have a look...

Jeff

Jeff

Although it slows down progress on KL, at least you are helping to educate youngsters in what is now a very dilluted but necessary subject.

As for the bus, I wish I'd planned mine a little better. Maybe when I do the next one.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Although it slows down progress on KL, at least you are helping to educate youngsters in what is now a very dilluted but necessary subject.

As for the bus, I wish I'd planned mine a little better. Maybe when I do the next one.

Couldn't agree with you more! I could get on my soapbox and preach about this, but here is not the place. Suffice it to say that if we continue along the present path there'll be no railway modelling - as there'll be no scientists and engineers to fix the problems when the lights go out.....

Re. your track bus. Does it work? If it's caused you no problems then it's not a worry. If you're not happy with it - is it easy to replace (just being nosey....what wiring did you use?).

Jeff

Jeff

It caused me no problems, but, I trained as a military sparky many years ago and am disgusted with how untidy it is.

I used 1.5mm2  16.5 amp solid core lighting cable for the bus and the droppers are 7/0.2

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Morning Duncan,

So much better to have a name to refer to!

I have the utmost regard for "sparkies". During 8 years of research and 27 years of teaching I've always encouraged people into the practical, engineering and scientific trades/careers. We certainly need those with these vital skills. So who am I to comment on the competence of your DCC bus!!? Lol!  :O

I must admit that I've gone overboard on the droppers on this layout. I've previously "taken a chance" with fewer droppers, sometimes relying on the electrical contact provided by the fishplates. Not this time. Consequently the area under the fiddle yard, and especially the station area look like a "dropper battlefield". However, it's all labelled and organised so I think I know where everything goes!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Jeff

You are not the only one who has 'gone overboard' with the droppers. Every single piece of track and every turnout on Oxted Park has droppers soldered. However, mine is a little bit smaller at 6" x 2".

Duncan

I was warned by none other than Beast that I may have not put enough droppers.  In places, I am aware that I am possibly shy of power...but nothing that is really apparent.  For the most part, there is no more than 6' between feeds, mostly because the detection sections are no longer than that...so, it means that they really cannot have power feeds any further apart than 6' or so.  There are 248 indicators for Long Marton in the RR&Co program- but that includes the spares and stop buttons, as well as the inputs for the signalbox. (24 there).  I think there are about 150 that are track sections...

In the staging yard, the maximum distance is about 30" from power- all the sections are fed from the centre of 60.5" long tables. 

(why 60.5" long?  Because, 6* 32x32 lego baseplates= near enough 60.5 to work over a long span...)  In other places, the track is only fed from one end of the section, and that could create problems.  I typically solder the non section joints together though, so the problems are minimized.  The lego is a much different case, as the track resistance per section is quite a bit higher, and there are LOTS of joints.  The rule I usually run by is no more than 20 sections between each power input. 

Anyway, we were downstairs earlier working on Long Marton, and mucking around.  I ended up going back one save of the file, and starting to beat it to fit again.  A bunch of little strangeness's have shown up.  (like the train start flag not starting as red, when it should).  Such fun...

Now the lads are playing with Duplo trains up here, and I'm making dinner.  I may get a bit more done on LM tonight, not sure yet.  I also got out the poster paint and reduced the amount of plaster showing- but I really need to add some more in the gaps.

James

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, quite snowy in the hills this morning, but the gritting lads had ben out and about so no problems gettting in from the dales. There's hardly anything here in TS17.

Good to see progress despite pre-exam help with physics and no doubt it helps to fund some of the old hobby eh? BTW how do you strip the insulation off your bus wire without cutting it? Is it just with a very sharp knife or is there a special tool?

I have been busy with the Black 5 and progress is really being made, although I have not had time to update my thread, but I'll try tonight.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, quite snowy in the hills this morning, but the gritting lads had ben out and about so no problems gettting in from the dales. There's hardly anything here in TS17.

Good to see progress despite pre-exam help with physics and no doubt it helps to fund some of the old hobby eh? BTW how do you strip the insulation off your bus wire without cutting it? Is it just with a very sharp knife or is there a special tool?

I have been busy with the Black 5 and progress is really being made, although I have not had time to update my thread, but I'll try tonight.

Morning Jonathan.

I was up half the night. Kept thinking the snow deluge would start, and there's very little here! 

The insulation on the 50/0.25 was relatively thick. So I used a scalpel - soon got into the swing of it. The first few cuts took a while but I managed to take 20 x 2cm sections off in about 10 minutes at the end. The bus wire is fitted - if I need to chop another couple of sections it's easy - as the wire is now tensioned.

I'll have to have a look at the state of the Black 5 after your update...

James - droppers are a pain to solder and hang everywhere. But you can't have too many!

Jeff

Morning Jeff,

I did a post about 10 mins or so ago and it has NOT APPEARED for some reason so I will try again.

I was told by a so called expert many years ago to put droppers on EVERY FISH PLATE, but it is the electrical connection between the fish plate and the rail that causes the problem, so the dropper should go direct on to the rail, and yes, as many as possible. I know YOU KNOW THIS MY FRIEND, but, this is advice for those who may not realise it or have been told, as I once was, to stick it on the fish plates.

Hope this is of some help to some poor and wanting soal out there in Lunestern Land. ahahahha :no:

Old Lune,      (A fully paid up Member of the Monster Raving Lunester Party)      P.S. When is the PARTY? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well said Andy. I solder 2 pairs of droppers on rail lengths bigger than 50cm, one pair if it's less than 50cm. Just a bit of a rule I made up for myself. And yes, the droppers go directly onto the stock rails.

I've been in the bunker for a couple of hours. I tidied up a few droppers into groups (still loads to do), but to add a bit of variety I've been cutting up some wood for the first of the valley formers. I reckoned that doing a few different things would keep me "ready for more"!

Btw, are you volunteering to be the Chairman of the Monster Raving Lunester Party? I think you have all the credentials!!  :O  :O

Jeff

Well said Andy. I solder 2 pairs of droppers on rail lengths bigger than 50cm, one pair if it's less than 50cm. Just a bit of a rule I made up for myself. And yes, the droppers go directly onto the stock rails.

I've been in the bunker for a couple of hours. I tidied up a few droppers into groups (still loads to do), but to add a bit of variety I've been cutting up some wood for the first of the valley formers. I reckoned that doing a few different things would keep me "ready for more"!

Btw, are you volunteering to be the Chairman of the Monster Raving Lunester Party? I think you have all the credentials!!  :O  :O

Jeff

NO TREASURER, so I can pull in the money to fund all my projects, HAHAHAhaaaaaaeeeeee,

Cold Lune

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cold Lune - having just looked at Trebudoc I can see why!

Work in the bunker ceased at 3.30pm due to Physics help....

Part of one "valley frame" has been completed. I'll do a bit more work on it in the morning and post a photo. Then it's back to the electrics...

DARE I connect up one of the droppers to the bus and see if it works?! Lol.

Back later - to see what you lot have come up with. something interesting, I hope.

Jeff

Connect up one wire, :sungum:

Try one loco, :sungum:

Conect up another wire, :nono:  

AND THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW IT'S BED TIME :no:

Loco Lune,                      testing testing testing 1234, just testing,             OHHHHH it goes right round :O  

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lune is the word!!!!  :crazy:

I've done my bit for Physics for today and I've been back out in the bunker to mark-up some plywood for cutting with the jigsaw in the morning. My "concoction" should be revealed by lunchtime....bet you're all getting excited?

No. Thought not.  :cry:

Jeff    :cry:  

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, your the one who is supposed to come up with the subject matter, not us!

Had a thought about what I would like to achive with the viaduct in a box and came to the conclusion that to run a scale length train through it it would have to be 18 foot long, which is longer than my house! So it's on the very back burner now. Maybe your idea about a station platform and siding might be better. Maybe The Mound would be the place?

Andy G

Connect up one wire, :sungum:

Try one loco, :sungum:

Conect up another wire, :nono:  

AND THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW IT'S BED TIME :no:

Loco Lune,                      testing testing testing 1234, just testing,             OHHHHH it goes right round :O  

...... and then another wire, then another, then another

And the next thing you know its breakfast time  :lol:

• RMweb Premium

Subject matter? Ah, that would be Physics then?!!

There'll be something to discuss tomorrow, I think. Let's face it, there's only so much you can discuss about electrics. Andy P's post above (#3348) just about sums it up!

I think you should build a miniature diorama, Andy. Then we can all admire your coachbuilding skills in context.

I'm off for a cuppa and a read of my latest book (not last weeks!).

Jeff