Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Jeff

I'm really looking forward to seeing this bit landscaped.

Duncan - Learning Luny

Thanks Duncan.

Unfortunately it's going to be a while for one simple logistical reason. The main hillside (from track level up, which goes over the fiddle yard) has to be started and the easy access to the first bit (including the tunnel portal I've built) is to "stand" on the river area. So I'll cut all the sections and have them ready. Then (probably early next week when new wood supplies arrive) I'll build the first main hillside section and then go back to do the river bit.

I hope that makes sense and doesn't read as gobbledygook!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Lovely work our Jeff

A bit of a shame you can't start landscaping that bit yet but the last thing you want to do is put your foot in it :no: . Looking forward to the next bit of progress on the hillside when you have replenished your material stock, I think we all now how frustrating it is to run out of 'stuff' when you are on a roll. The mountain hillsides look a lot better now too.

I'm just looking forward to spring now so I can get outside and do something different.

Jim

Hi Jeff,

Things are really coming along, Andy's suggestion has paid dividends it seems. Its a real 'belt-n-braces' approach you have there sir, I would be cringing at the thought of that amount of timberwork for a layout but I can see the benefits.

The uploading of a few pictures and more to the point the prior notification of said uploads has us all waiting in anticipation of just what to expect. You always come up with the goods!

I think this topic has proved to be a marvellous forum for the interaction of like-minded people who are both willing to learn and perhaps more importantly willing to pass on skills and information in a completely altruistic manner, it is without doubt a real breath of fresh-air. Keep up the good work Lord Lunster, I look forward to my daily digest as do most lunsters I'm sure.

Cheers

mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Things are really coming along, Andy's suggestion has paid dividends it seems. Its a real 'belt-n-braces' approach you have there sir, I would be cringing at the thought of that amount of timberwork for a layout but I can see the benefits.

The uploading of a few pictures and more to the point the prior notification of said uploads has us all waiting in anticipation of just what to expect. You always come up with the goods!

I think this topic has proved to be a marvellous forum for the interaction of like-minded people who are both willing to learn and perhaps more importantly willing to pass on skills and information in a completely altruistic manner, it is without doubt a real breath of fresh-air. Keep up the good work Lord Lunster, I look forward to my daily digest as do most lunsters I'm sure.

Cheers

mike

Thanks Mike. The thread has worked out better than I could ever have expected with, as you say, like-minded people happily exchanging ideas and giving/asking for advice. I know I've learned a huge amount. It's especially good to hear positive comments from experienced modellers who've already produced stunning layouts!

Lovely work our Jeff

A bit of a shame you can't start landscaping that bit yet but the last thing you want to do is put your foot in it :no: . Looking forward to the next bit of progress on the hillside when you have replenished your material stock, I think we all now how frustrating it is to run out of 'stuff' when you are on a roll. The mountain hillsides look a lot better now too.

I'm just looking forward to spring now so I can get outside and do something different.

Jim

Agree totally Jim. and I don't want to put my foot in it by compromising in order to save a day or so! (Btw, your joke was terrible!!  :nono: )

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

The slope away from the well looks better than I thought in my head! Can you just remind me of some diamensions please (in inches!) as I hope its not to much of a fall. Whats the hieght of the river bed at the well, and whats the distance to the viaduct please?

I like the curve in the river, but I'm not quite sure about the shape of the river bed but don't know why! I take it you are going to have the river in it's middle phase, where it is still quick fast flowing and quite shallow? (Although I know nothing about modelling rivers, and the closest I get to one is the man-made last stage of the Great Ouse that is 100yds from the house here!)

How did the MR protect the river pier from undercutting?

Sorry to add more questions Jeff.

I'm really impressed and can't wait to see the next stage!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Some good questions Andy.

The distance from front to the viaduct is about 1.2m. The fall is only about 4cm (I'm allowing the bottom of the river bed to be 4cm above board at the viaduct and it's 8cm at the front). So 1 in 30...

Bottom of bed is only the way I cut the ply. There'll be plaster bandage, filler and stones on top of that. I've kept the river about 18cm wide throughout - it will go between the centre 2 arches.

Your idea has allowed me to keep a steep valley slope adjacent to the viaducts, but lessen the slope at the front. A very good suggestion!

Have PM'd you re. SMP.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Great landscaping Jeff - brings back memories of river course diagrams in Geography (diagrams got me through the exams - in the days when you had to draw and remember them yourself AHAHA).  Good memories because I loved that side of the subject and the industrial bits of canals and railways, coal, iron and steam.

I can't wait to see the finished product so I can imagine myself walking across the fields with a group of friends, avoiding puddlings, getting a helping hand over stiles and tricky bits - none of this "I can look after myself, thank you very much" equality/feminist rubbish. I think some of the younger generation lost the plot a bit and missed out on a great means of social networking....

Jukebox - oh, yes!  Just the sort of thing I had in mind.  Just need a walker or two????

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff, I couldn't sleep worring about you MOUNTAIN, I have had a read of the last two pages since my last post and I seem to have stired up a bit of a Hornets Nest. You have had some great sugesstions coming in and I like the idea of the stream running backwards.

Now the other formers are in place it is looking less mountainus and more hillious? (is that a new word I have just made up?). :no: anyway, point being it is now working.

Possibly in hindsight you had a choice of two options; either a lower viaduct that would have actually made it look longer by a hight to lenght ratio.

OR

You could have set your railway in Cambridgeshire and not had the worry of a viaduct at all, :O hhahahaaaaeeeee

back to sleep now,,

Olde Lunie :sungum:

• Like 2

Seriously impressive!

I think I'm going to have to revise this comment - it appears to be seriously impressive already!  Seeing the rest of the formers in there makes it a lot clearer - and I'll rescind most of the comments I made yesterday morning ;)

If you're not ordering more wood till tomorrow, what are you planning on doing today?  Having a rest?

• RMweb Premium

Morning Michael. I thought I'd look in a bit earlier (i'm doing some chemistry revision this morning!) - to try and catch you. and you've already been and gone!

I actually have some timber supplies left in the bunker - enough to do a few hour's worth of playing today. But I'll have to order some more tomorrow - so that'll give me the incentive to solder-up some droppers to the bus wires. 

Hopefully I'll be able to build the first bit of "proper" hillside next week. I need to stock up on masking tape and plaster bandage!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I couldn't sleep worring about you MOUNTAIN, I have had a read of the last two pages since my last post and I seem to have stired up a bit of a Hornets Nest. You have had some great sugesstions coming in and I like the idea of the stream running backwards.

Now the other formers are in place it is looking less mountainus and more hillious? (is that a new word I have just made up?). :no: anyway, point being it is now working.

Possibly in hindsight you had a choice of two options; either a lower viaduct that would have actually made it look longer by a hight to lenght ratio.

OR

You could have set your railway in Cambridgeshire and not had the worry of a viaduct at all, :O hhahahaaaaeeeee

back to sleep now,,

Olde Lunie :sungum:

Greetings! I hadn't heard from you for a while - thought you'd emigrated!

No, you didn't stir a hornet's nest, you made a valid point from the photos I'd posted, correct as ever! I had my own idea of where I was going, but as a result of the comments you and Jason made, loads of additional suggestions have been made. Andy's, in particular, made a big difference. The viaduct height was always goint to be an issue - but I didn't see the point in a "whimper" of a viaduct that wasn't high enough. Even at a scale 75', this one is a little "low" (75% scaled down Ribblehead).

I'd better not comment on Cambridgeshire - I'm sure it's lovely! But the S&C with no viaduct..... erm.....!! If I did that you'd call me a Lunester!!  :O

Hope you're on here later. And what are you doing up at nearly 2am!!?  :nono:

Jeff  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, I'm not coming too close as I am full of cold and don't wish to share it.

Given the fall from front to back then I assume you will having a fairly fast flowing stream/beck rather than a full blown river? It sort of reminds me of the beck that runs down from Garsdale station to the village and beyond, it has plenty of steps as Sandside suggested and not very wide either. That way the beck could run through one of the arches rather than two or more so no need to worry about water undermining the pier foundations.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, having looked at a load of photos, I'm considering the "one arch version". After all, the viaduct was in place to span the gorge, not just the "river". The plan has already developed a life of its own,following my initial posting on Monday/Tuesday. So I'm not sure where it'll end up. And - if you read a previous post - I can't fix the valley centre down at the mo - I need it for access to the first section of main hillside.

Hope your cold goes away soon. I haven't had one for a while, so I'm probably due a dose!

Jeff

Great progress, Jeff.

I'm glad that Andy mentioned Cambridgeshire and NOT Essex (Chappel Viaduct, Chelmsford Viaduct). Presumably because fellow Bassman Mr Jack Bruce lives at Sudbury (on the border of Essex /Sufflok within spitting distance of Chappel). But I digress.

Your solution looks admirable.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Morning again Jeff, thanks for your earlier reply, It is at this stage that I normally do a DRY RUN, i.e. a few bits of Cereal packet laid across the formers to get a better perspective from across the room of how it may look, I sometimes leave it like that and DO NOT move forward for a couple of days, so that every time I walk into the room I look at it with fresh eyes. I also have some bits of sheet grass that I lay in place to get a better idea of land fall and steepness etc. I even did this on the small land drop at the front of Trebudoc to ensure that, A, it wasn't so steep, and B, that it was steep enough to be effective.

Again once you have trees along the valley floor that makes a BIG BIG difference to the final view, and the choice of backscene will also have a dramatic effect on the total visual impact.

I hope this is NOT throwing another spanner into these wonderful works.

Hi Pete, (Trisonic) Love that new Guitar Colour, is it Surf Green? (for thoses not in the know, early Fender Guitars of the 50's and 60's were painted using the same colours as most American Cars of the period, mainly from Dupont, so you had Surf Green, Daphne Blue, Coral Pink, Candy Apple Red, Fiesta Red as used by Hank Marvin and the Shadows, and many many more).

Sorry about the SAD history lesson on Guitars Jeff, hhahahaaaa

4 string Bass Lune., P.S. Love the work of Jack Bruce. :sungum:  

• RMweb Premium

Morning again Jeff, thanks for your earlier reply, It is at this stage that I normally do a DRY RUN, i.e. a few bits of Cereal packet laid across the formers to get a better perspective from across the room of how it may look, I sometimes leave it like that and DO NOT move forward for a couple of days, so that every time I walk into the room I look at it with fresh eyes. I also have some bits of sheet grass that I lay in place to get a better idea of land fall and steepness etc. I even did this on the small land drop at the front of Trebudoc to ensure that, A, it wasn't so steep, and B, that it was steep enough to be effective.

Again once you have trees along the valley floor that makes a BIG BIG difference to the final view, and the choice of backscene will also have a dramatic effect on the total visual impact.

I hope this is NOT throwing another spanner into these wonderful works.

Hi Pete, (Trisonic) Love that new Guitar Colour, is it Surf Green? (for thoses not in the know, early Fender Guitars of the 50's and 60's were painted using the same colours as most American Cars of the period, mainly from Dupont, so you had Surf Green, Daphne Blue, Coral Pink, Candy Apple Red, Fiesta Red as used by Hank Marvin and the Shadows, and many many more).

Sorry about the SAD history lesson on Guitars Jeff, hhahahaaaa

4 string Bass Lune., P.S. Love the work of Jack Bruce. :sungum:  

That's quite ok Andy. I'm partial to a bit of guitar.... Jack Bruce is one of my heroes, along with Geddy Lee and Gary Moore.

No spanners - ever. This is what I want to hear. I've only been in the bunker first thing, to switch the heater on. Been busy since. Quick visit to Tesco needed then I'm going to cut a couple more of the valley-floor formers. The precise lay of the land gets sorted when the mod-roc and polyfilla goes on. But I'm considering keeping a reasonable sized stream, with a small "beck" (Jeff Beck...there's another!) flowing into it from front right (thanks Scott).

Will you please keep me thinking, andy. I don't want to switch off and be unhappy with the result. All that would mean is I'd "do a Larry/George" and rip it all out!

Pete - appreciate your comments. Glad you're looking in from the far-off Big Apple!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'll have you know that there are some pretty impressive viaducts in Cambridgeshire! A lovely twin truss/embankement combo over the washes comes to mind! We have a h*ll of a lot of waterways to cross here!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps a couple of small becks that join into a larger stream, rather than one single large flow, Jeff?

6011965110_953c168bab_z.jpg

Jeff,

If you can get somewhere towards the effect in the above photo, with the beck/river darting from side to side, with bits of the hillsides sticking out too, I think you will be onto a winner.

Look at the detail in the landscape.. the mini-terracing on the 'lump' in the middle of the shot, the differing colours of the grasses, the rocks..... Nice! Not sure how much will reproduce in 4 mm mind!

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've done a couple more "centre-valley formers" - the 2 nearest the viaduct. I've also inserted a "guide" piece of 2" x 1" so I know exactly where the middle formers will go... as explained above, they have to be removed until I've built the first part of the hillside.

A couple of photos. 

post-13778-0-40310000-1359034900_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-53282900-1359034909_thumb.jpg

I'm effectively out of timber now, so I'll go and order some more tomorrow...

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

One thing I found with scenic contouring such as this is that foamboard is just as good as plywood and a lot quicker (and lighter - not that weight will be a problem on the substructure you have there!).  One plaster bandaged or whatever over the formers the surface turns into a hard shell, especially if some kitchen paper towels are added on the wet plaster bandage, and is perfectly durable.  Hobbycraft were knocking out large (A1) sheets of foamboard at reduced price in early December.

• RMweb Premium

One thing I found with scenic contouring such as this is that foamboard is just as good as plywood and a lot quicker (and lighter - not that weight will be a problem on the substructure you have there!).  One plaster bandaged or whatever over the formers the surface turns into a hard shell, especially if some kitchen paper towels are added on the wet plaster bandage, and is perfectly durable.  Hobbycraft were knocking out large (A1) sheets of foamboard at reduced price in early December.

Very true, Mike. I'm also aware that polystyrene blocks are readily available from builder's merchants and can be carved to shape, then covered with plaster bandage...

But you know me, I love working with wood as a structural base. I'll have to wait a few days now to renew my "kick". Oh well, looks like it's back to fitting and soldering wires!

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff

I'm really enjoying this discussion about the scenic area in front of the viaduct.

I don't know if you follow Peterborough North, but that started in July 2010 and you are already less than 100 posts behind. It just goes to show how much information and knowledge is imparted by 'The Lunesters'

Duncan