Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

It's difficult you know! You need to find somewhere to base it on, and somewhere where there is enough to keep you interested while you build it. I need to look through some books to see if I can find 'it'!

As to my coachbuilding skills, the coaches never come out looking like Coachmans!

Here's a nice curve ball: Does anyone know if you can buy 4mm scale RAF box trailers (the ones that used Brockhouse torsion-bar chassis, and where used for carrying communication equipment over battle fields)?

I'll put my mind to it this week, and see if I can come up with somewhere.

Andy G

(I'll be dropping in and out this week, got two days in the office and two rest days, so probably back full time Saturday am. Will be clocking off at about 2120hrs tonight!)

Hi Jeff & all,

Had a very busy weekend working on my ground floor loo' so that's my reason for being quiet. May-a-couppa May-a-couppa.

I have managed a little bit of modelling in the small hours but nothing worth showing as yet.

KL is coming on nicely Jeff, I had little idea about the electrical issues you described, (erm, not my strong point) does it happen on analogue systems also? If so it may answer some old problems. I am sticking with analogue for Dent so will try to avoid my usual pitfalls.

Keep up the good work...

Cheers

Mike

Jeff, your the one who is supposed to come up with the subject matter, not us!

Had a thought about what I would like to achive with the viaduct in a box and came to the conclusion that to run a scale length train through it it would have to be 18 foot long, which is longer than my house! So it's on the very back burner now. Maybe your idea about a station platform and siding might be better. Maybe The Mound would be the place?

Andy G

Hi Andy

Just a suggestion, and keeping the S&C theme, how about Culgaith?

post-4712-0-67549700-1358801634.jpg

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

Nice idea (but I can see that you are trying to corupt me into making something NOT HR!!), maybe just a little too much for a small diorama? I was thinking of something that would be about 2-3 foot long max as I think i can hid it away from SWMBO, and bring it back and forth to work easily.

Single track I think is the order of the day, on an embankment, maybe with a bridge?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Daft question time....

Has anyone used triang wheelsets on SMP track, including the points? Do the flanges bump on the chairs?

(I know is seems a bit of an oxymoronic thing to do, have finescale track, and steam roller wheels!)

Andy G

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Daft question time....

Has anyone used triang wheelsets on SMP track, including the points? Do the flanges bump on the chairs?

(I know is seems a bit of an oxymoronic thing to do, have finescale track, and steam roller wheels!)

Andy G

Someone with experience will probably correct me on this one. But I got the impression that most, if not all, of the older Triang stuff was only ok on code 100 track, and certainly not code 75 finescale. I have no definitive evidence for this, so may be wrong.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff & all,

Had a very busy weekend working on my ground floor loo' so that's my reason for being quiet. May-a-couppa May-a-couppa.

I have managed a little bit of modelling in the small hours but nothing worth showing as yet.

KL is coming on nicely Jeff, I had little idea about the electrical issues you described, (erm, not my strong point) does it happen on analogue systems also? If so it may answer some old problems. I am sticking with analogue for Dent so will try to avoid my usual pitfalls.

Keep up the good work...

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for the comments Mike. I'm blending the wiring with some more landscape work, to avoid tedium.

I've received the next batch of Jenkinson stuff. Many thanks for that - I appreciate you are busy. Just take as long as it takes - no hurry!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

Nice idea (but I can see that you are trying to corupt me into making something NOT HR!!), maybe just a little too much for a small diorama? I was thinking of something that would be about 2-3 foot long max as I think i can hid it away from SWMBO, and bring it back and forth to work easily.

Single track I think is the order of the day, on an embankment, maybe with a bridge?

Andy G

Andy - go into the Layout topics section and do a search for "Masons Lane". Andy P knocked this together in a few days (remarkably) for a Hornby Mag competition last summer. It's an excellent bit of work and may give you some ideas.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Triang and SMP is a definite no-no; even the coarser wheeled Hornby wheels of much more recent vintage will rattle across the chairs. If you want to use old rolling stock with SMP, it is a case of re-wheeling with the likes of Romfords, etc.

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Andy G

Morning Jeff

Suggestion for Ian, how about Hartington on the former Ashbourne-Buxton line (LNWR)? Single track, sidings, embankments, bridge, modular station buildings.

Re: the Black 5 lastest pic on the link below Jeff, it's looking like a 5 now.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff

Suggestion for Ian, how about Hartington on the former Ashbourne-Buxton line (LNWR)? Single track, sidings, embankments, bridge, modular station buildings.

Re: the Black 5 lastest pic on the link below Jeff, it's looking like a 5 now.

Been to your thread and had a look. Nice job. You should be very proud - how long has it taken you? 

I'm cutting wood in the bunker - it's a right mess in there with sawdust everywhere. But it smells nice. Photos later!

Jeff

I'm cutting wood in the bunker - it's a right mess in there with sawdust everywhere. But it smells nice. Photos later!

Jeff

You're such a tease Jeff!  I came on here looking for the photos you promised us yesterday ;)

Finally got the heating working as I want it (that would be with water staying in the pipes, and the controls not needing human intervention to keep the house warm) - so thoughts have turned back to modeling.  I've been sketching some scenery plans whilst waiting for the computers this morning - can't wait to get on with it. Shame I'm busy all this week, so can't do any till next Wednesday...

Hope you get some wiring done with all the scenery playing...

• RMweb Premium

You're such a tease Jeff!  I came on here looking for the photos you promised us yesterday ;)

Finally got the heating working as I want it (that would be with water staying in the pipes, and the controls not needing human intervention to keep the house warm) - so thoughts have turned back to modeling.  I've been sketching some scenery plans whilst waiting for the computers this morning - can't wait to get on with it. Shame I'm busy all this week, so can't do any till next Wednesday...

Hope you get some wiring done with all the scenery playing...

Good to hear from you Michael. I've done 3 lots of Physics help - all unpaid - in the last 24 hours, including from 6.45 to 8 this morning. So it's kept me away from the bunker a bit! I can promise you some pics later - if I don't chop my finger off with a chisel....

Keep watching this space!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Just a suggestion, and keeping the S&C theme, how about Culgaith?

attachicon.gifimg022.jpg

Ian

That would be one for someone who is good at scratchbuilt buildings. Not much operational interest but I have a fondness for the place having worked the signalbox for a couple of happy hours in July 1974. 

• RMweb Gold

Daft question time....

Andy G

I tried this way back in the 70s when SMP track first came out. Oddly, the track is more forgiving of old Triang flanges than most because the chairs don't get in the way. Points are more of an issue because of the back-to-back measurements.

• RMweb Gold

Well said Andy. I solder 2 pairs of droppers on rail lengths bigger than 50cm, one pair if it's less than 50cm. Just a bit of a rule I made up for myself. And yes, the droppers go directly onto the stock rails.

This gives me an idea. When I am making up 500mm lengths of track (fiNetrax) for Tamworth, I should solder droppers onto each length of rail before threading the sleeper bases on.

Such a simple and obvious idea that I feel there has to be something wrong with it! Can anyone see a snag (apart from the boredom of 240 soldered joints in one go)?

Well said Andy. I solder 2 pairs of droppers on rail lengths bigger than 50cm, one pair if it's less than 50cm. Just a bit of a rule I made up for myself. And yes, the droppers go directly onto the stock rails.

This gives me an idea. When I am making up 500mm lengths of track (fiNetrax) for Tamworth, I should solder droppers onto each length of rail before threading the sleeper bases on.

Such a simple and obvious idea that I feel there has to be something wrong with it! Can anyone see a snag (apart from the boredom of 240 soldered joints in one go)?

Only two that I can think of - how will you slide the bases past the droppers once you've attached them to the rail?  (or have I misunderstood something?); and how do you ensure the dropper is in a gap between sleepers? (though that can be fixed with a bit of judicious rail cutting I suppose).

Jeff - a 6:45 start is definitely above and beyond!  You are certainly doing your bit for the future of physics! Worst I've ever done was a 7am coaching session - suggested as a joke as the only way to fit it into my packed weekend, but readily accepted by a teenager never known for a love of mornings...

Hi Jeff, if you are cutting wood at least you will be warm, My friend sharpened my chisel the other day and I felt obliged to put in a complaint afterwards that it was so sharp I nearlt cut myself. Haaahahahaaaaeeee

I did expect to see timber risers by now, but tuition comes first as we need to educate the youngsters of today because they are our PENSIONS OF TOMORROW, (i hope).

What are you using for the scenic structure, I use my now infamos HOT GLUE GUN, I just cut a shape stick it and on with the next, really quick and simple, If its not right I can give it a good pull and it is off.

My Station Signs arrived this morning so I have a couple of jobs I can get on with this afternoon before going up to my Club tonight, It is only a mile up the road and it is the AGM tonightso that should be fun. I will probably do a bit of stiring just to liven things up a bit, hhahahaa.

Catch up again ;later

Old VERY cold Lune 

• RMweb Premium

Right then. There'll be 2 or 3 posts here showing what I've done this morning. About 2 hours work, maximum. I like to build solid structures. So here goes...

You'll see where the strucure fits in a later post - in about an hour or so.

2 lengths of 45mm x 45mm x 80cm cut and notched:

post-13778-0-46553800-1358862033_thumb.jpg

A frame structure made from 2 backing battens:

post-13778-0-25656900-1358862047_thumb.jpg

Hillside "shaping pieces" cut from 12mm ply:

post-13778-0-56122800-1358862055_thumb.jpg

Pieces fitted into slots:

post-13778-0-68946000-1358862064_thumb.jpg

More to come...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, if you are cutting wood at least you will be warm, My friend sharpened my chisel the other day and I felt obliged to put in a complaint afterwards that it was so sharp I nearlt cut myself. Haaahahahaaaaeeee

I did expect to see timber risers by now, but tuition comes first as we need to educate the youngsters of today because they are our PENSIONS OF TOMORROW, (i hope).

What are you using for the scenic structure, I use my now infamos HOT GLUE GUN, I just cut a shape stick it and on with the next, really quick and simple, If its not right I can give it a good pull and it is off.

My Station Signs arrived this morning so I have a couple of jobs I can get on with this afternoon before going up to my Club tonight, It is only a mile up the road and it is the AGM tonightso that should be fun. I will probably do a bit of stiring just to liven things up a bit, hhahahaa.

Catch up again ;later

Old VERY cold Lune 

Hi Andy.

Hopefully my current set of posts will show what I'm doing. I haven't got a hot glue gun, so I use a bit of creative joinery, attaching the wood and ply with copious amounts of PVA and screws!

You.... a stirrer. NEVER. Btw, thanks for the current crop of emails. I've sent them on so that others can enjoy them!! Lol.

Jeff

Hi Jeff.

Regarding the walling - I couldn't find the advertising blurb I picked up from Worley for the casting kits but looking back at the Worley website I think it may have been this company - http://www.sylmasta.com/

BTW, That's some heavy engineering going on there, I thought my current layout build was over engineered with 40mm x 40mm legs you seem to be using 3" x 2"s and lots of cross bracing, and that hillside former - wow. Do you live in an earthquake zone or maybe expecting a Tsunami? I guess this is not a portable layout.

Going back a few pages to your track bus and probably a bit late now, but have you considered using solid uninsulated (18SWG) wire and covering (threading) it with heat shrink tube. You can leave gaps every foot or so to solder the droppers to. Might be a bit quicker (easier) that striping insulation. The other idea I've seen recently is self adhesive backed copper strip. I've bought a reel of this to try out.

Andy - if your watching - how do you find the hot glue gun. I've been meaning to get one of these to try out for some time. What sort of things do you use it for?

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Ray. If you look back to page 5, post 108, you'll see the gross "over-engineering" with a 4" x 2" subframe. I just love working with wood!

And I don't expect you'll be seeing KL at an exhibition - unless I take the entire bunker with me!!

Thanks for taking the time to look up the stone walling info. And it's good to see you on the thread - Polly has become a regular contributor!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update on the first valley hillside section. 

Here's the completed section - end ply is screwed and glued, the other parts just PVA'd:

post-13778-0-24396300-1358865606_thumb.jpg

And here's the structure in position in its new home...

post-13778-0-86447100-1358865631_thumb.jpg

Now it's time to build the bit that goes up to the viaduct. Stay tuned (or should that be "luned"?)

Jeff

• Like 2