Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

That's partly why I picked Arten Gill - one side is steep sided valley - I think you could treat both your valley sides the same.  Short masonry approach, 2 arches over steep sided valley, one arch over water-course, two arches over steep valley side, then onto token embankment into station.  Doesn't Garsdale station start just off the end of a viaduct?

Hmmm... Now I want to start playing with embankments and bridges, but I won't have time till next week :(

You're on the right lines. I've 6 arches - I was going to use 2 for the water, with a pier in the water itself. I may not do that now. Possible 3 on one side, 1 over the water, 2 on the other.

I've been and had a look at the situation in the bunker. With a little "inventive" woodwork - requiring a few hour's work (so what?) - I can get some kind of embankment in. The river is likely to be downgraded to a "stream" now!

Thanks to Michael, Peter, Jason and Chris for opening my eyes to some different options. The stream will still flow down to the viaduct, but it's not clear to me how it'll end up. Part of it depends on that first chunk of hillside... FUN!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's the beauty of being a member on RMWeb and having a thread whilst constructing your layout. If you had waited until it was all done before posting, you would have an altogether different layout and be unable to change it if people did make comments (which they would be unlikely to, through fear of telling you that what you did was wrong).

How about a walled-in BOAT / RUPP (Byway Open To All Traffic / Road Used as a Public Path - told you I love maps ;)) passing under the viaduct, close to but above the height of the river? 

• RMweb Premium

That's the beauty of being a member on RMWeb and having a thread whilst constructing your layout. If you had waited until it was all done before posting, you would have an altogether different layout and be unable to change it if people did make comments (which they would be unlikely to, through fear of telling you that what you did was wrong).

How about a walled-in BOAT / RUPP (Byway Open To All Traffic / Road Used as a Public Path - told you I love maps ;)) passing under the viaduct, close to but above the height of the river? 

Yes, I've already planned for something like that (BOAT/RUPP - good grief!!)...

If you look at the link to Arten Gill in Michael's post 3474 (http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/arten-gill-viaduct.htm), on the third photo down there's a pathway going towards the arches (and, presumably, under them). I'll be putting one of these through the arch that is adjacent to the one that straddles the stream. Probably on the right side where the slope isn't as steep, and branching off up the hillside towards the station (branch loop).

It was a good move putting this layout on here from the very start. It'll be SO much better for it. If I hadn't, I'd have been using RTP, Peco track, straight viaducts, an unrealistic trackplan etc. The only thing is - nobody would have known about it!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I found the link below before I discovered Tender had posted here with Ribblehead - talk about not knowing what your OH (other hand?) is doing.  :mosking:
If you've not seen it, this link has lots of S&C viaducts more akin to the length (and proportion) of yours.
http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/carlisle-settle-railway-viaducts.htm

Waiting to see your progress.  Enjoying this thread. :sungum:

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Ooh, that pack horse bridge beside the viaduct would be lovely feature, if a little tricky. 3rd & 4th photos down: http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/dent-head-viaduct.htm

It would look very nice indeed! Are you issuing a challenge? Challenge accepted - I'll have a go at building it...it can link the path on the right side of the valley to a track I'll put up on the left.

Cheers Jason!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I found the link below before I discovered Tender had posted here with Ribblehead - talk about not knowing what your OH (other hand?) is doing.  :mosking:

If you've not seen it, this link has lots of S&C viaducts more akin to the length (and proportion) of yours.

http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/carlisle-settle-railway-viaducts.htm

Waiting to see your progress.  Enjoying this thread. :sungum:

Polly

Hi Polly.

Yes, it's a good link. Already have it saved in my "favourites" but always good to look at it again.

I think I'm going to end up building a diorama in parallel to KL. Diorama could be a static display with viaduct, embankments, stream and sheep. About 6' x 4' should be enough....

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've just been in the bunker and I've hatched a "scheme". I'm not revealing ANY details of it until I've gone ahead and done the job. This will probably take me about ten hours of work, so expect some photos on Sunday....

In the meantime let's just carry on as normal, shall we.... hee, hee, hee!!  :sungum:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

That sounds a good plan Jeff.  And I do like that pack-horse bridge Jason suggested.  In return you should challange him to make the clogs he's thought about ;)

Time to start my weekend away from RMWeb - I hope you have a productive time, and there isn't too much to read on my return!

• RMweb Premium

A diorama? Would that be using your spare viaduct Jeff? I hope it will appear over 't'other side' and keep mine company...  Oh hang on, no don't as you will hog all the replies!

I'm really surprised at how a little 'dip' in the baseboards has really got people enthusing! (sp?)

I'm going to stick my neck out here as say 'I think that KL has the potential to become a Barchester (or Lutton) of the 21st century.'

I personally can't wait to see it develop into a fully operational (and operated correctly) railway!

BTW Jeff, I was killing time waiting for a train and browsed through BRM and saw a full page ad from Cobolt for lever-frame style switches. Sadly I think you are going to have to bin off your mimic panel and build a proper frame now. The levers have catch-handles and three switches (one passing contact and a pair of DPDT(I think) which will also allow electrical interlocking) built in, and look very good. Then you can build block instruments and do it properly!

Keep up the good work!

Andy

Update: I've just been in the bunker and I've hatched a "scheme". I'm not revealing ANY details of it until I've gone ahead and done the job. This will probably take me about ten hours of work, so expect some photos on Sunday....

In the meantime let's just carry on as normal, shall we.... hee, hee, hee!!  :sungum:

Jeff

Jeff doing a Baldrick with 'a cunning plan'? I can't wait!

To the Bunker sirrah!

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Andy - if I DID build such a diorama I'd do it because I'd like to build a bigger viaduct!

I'll have a look at the Cobalt ad - what I've built will have to do for the moment, but when I've got everything else sorted (ha ha!) - who knows?

I will package-up the SMP track and send it down on Monday.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Evening Bill. Yes, a cunning plan but we'll see how it goes. As Andy said, it's amazing how a little "dip" got people fired-up. Glad it did though, as it's generated loads of ideas for me to play around with.

Jeff

Jeff

What!!! You expect us to carry on as if nothing is going to happen when we know something special is on the way :no: , no, I just can't do, I will have sleepless nights now trying to guess.

It looks as though you have plenty of info and ideas coming in and I think the challenge of the pack horse bridge is great. This part of the layout is in my mind is the bit that will always have the most visual impact for the viewer and it is well worth spending time on on getting just right so it is good to see your vision developing. This thread moves along so fast - especially the last few days - I will have to log on every day to keep up.

I have always loved the ruggedness of the area up north which is why I moved up here and maybe I should have modelled a region on my mothers side of the family and got some of that Dales and Moors scenery in, Oh well that a fathers influence for you.

Keep up the great work and updates.

Is it Sunday yet?

Jim 

• RMweb Premium

What!!! You expect us to carry on as if nothing is going to happen when we know something special is on the way :no: , no, I just can't do, I will have sleepless nights now trying to guess.

Is it Sunday yet?

Jim 

I never said it would be special, Jim. But I think it will be an improvement over what was in the last set of photos. Don't get me wrong - I would have been very happy to work on from the structure I'd already created. But the last day in particular has been amazing. Talk about being inundated with ideas!

Why make it up when there are so many - TOO many, maybe - examples in the prototype.

What I'll have done by Sunday won't look pretty, but it will set the scene for what follows. When the first major bit of hillside has gone in I can concentrate on some of the details. That pack-horse bridge for one. A twisting stream, stonewalls, pathways etc etc. That's all weeks away, but we'll get there in the end.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

You're on the right lines. I've 6 arches - I was going to use 2 for the water, with a pier in the water itself. I may not do that now. Possible 3 on one side, 1 over the water, 2 on the other.

I've been and had a look at the situation in the bunker. With a little "inventive" woodwork - requiring a few hour's work (so what?) - I can get some kind of embankment in. The river is likely to be downgraded to a "stream" now!

Thanks to Michael, Peter, Jason and Chris for opening my eyes to some different options. The stream will still flow down to the viaduct, but it's not clear to me how it'll end up. Part of it depends on that first chunk of hillside... FUN!

JEFF DON'T DO IT,                I was talking to an old school Buildings Engineer about our club Viaduct as I was going to put a pillar in the stream and he told me that an Engineer would NEVER PLAN a structure like a viaduct and have a pillar in unstable water loged ground by choice, the arch would be wide enough to avoid doing that.

SORRY for another spanner mate,, only trying to help.

Now back to reading the reast of todays inputs.

Troublesome Old Lune. :sungum:

*snip*

It was a good move putting this layout on here from the very start. It'll be SO much better for it. If I hadn't, I'd have been using RTP, Peco track, straight viaducts, an unrealistic trackplan etc. The only thing is - nobody would have known about it!

Jeff

Now imagine the extra input if you'd started this in the "Layout topics" area!

(I noticed awhile back that you're in Special Interests - S&C... I did wonder how many RMWebbers have missed K/L as it doesn't appear as a layout. Mind you, the reality is that as far as layout advice, you've got plenty of great input anyway... and once the track is down, it's the S&C flavour - and knowledge - you'll want to capture)

Coming along very nicely, it is, too.

Scott

A diorama? Would that be using your spare viaduct Jeff? I hope it will appear over 't'other side' and keep mine company...  Oh hang on, no don't as you will hog all the replies!

I'm really surprised at how a little 'dip' in the baseboards has really got people enthusing! (sp?)

I'm going to stick my neck out here as say 'I think that KL has the potential to become a Barchester (or Lutton) of the 21st century.'

I personally can't wait to see it develop into a fully operational (and operated correctly) railway!

BTW Jeff, I was killing time waiting for a train and browsed through BRM and saw a full page ad from Cobolt for lever-frame style switches. Sadly I think you are going to have to bin off your mimic panel and build a proper frame now. The levers have catch-handles and three switches (one passing contact and a pair of DPDT(I think) which will also allow electrical interlocking) built in, and look very good. Then you can build block instruments and do it properly!

Keep up the good work!

Andy

Hi Jeff I agree with Andy on this one, it would look really good along the edge of the main board, I did a similar thing with the old Hornby switches many years ago and it felt like a PROPPER SIGNAL BOX.

There we go again, another spanner in the works, hahaheee

Daft Old Lune. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

JEFF DON'T DO IT,                I was talking to an old school Buildings Engineer about our club Viaduct as I was going to put a pillar in the stream and he told me that an Engineer would NEVER PLAN a structure like a viaduct and have a pillar in unstable water loged ground by choice, the arch would be wide enough to avoid doing that.

SORRY for another spanner mate,, only trying to help.

Now back to reading the reast of todays inputs.

Troublesome Old Lune. :sungum:

It's ok Andy, I'm NOT going to do that. The basic idea now is to have a reduced size STREAM flowing between the piers of ONE arch, with the piers on solid land, either side.

I've looked at the plethora of viaducts on Google and (especially) Arten Gill viaduct on the S&C (see links above). This is now serving as a "reference", though it has double the arches that I have.

I've a lot of work ahead of me in the next 2 days...hope to enlighten you all on Sunday.

Btw, just looked at T. Excellent.

So - no spanners Old Lune (or should it be Buzz?).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff I agree with Andy on this one, it would look really good along the edg of the main board, I did a similar thing with the old Hornby switches many years ago and it felt like a PROPPER SIGNAL BOX.

There we go again, another spanner in the works, hahaheee

Daft Old Lune. :sungum:

You must be reading my mind!! I've got my copy of BRM on the table in front of me. Was going to look at the DCC Concepts advert when I'd finished replying here. I WILL get some - you just want to come and PLAYS TRAINS don't you?!!

Well you CAN - eventually!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Now imagine the extra input if you'd started this in the "Layout topics" area!

(I noticed awhile back that you're in Special Interests - S&C... I did wonder how many RMWebbers have missed K/L as it doesn't appear as a layout. Mind you, the reality is that as far as layout advice, you've got plenty of great input anyway... and once the track is down, it's the S&C flavour - and knowledge - you'll want to capture)

Coming along very nicely, it is, too.

Scott

Hi Scott.

KL was in the main layouts section for the first couple of months. Then Allegheny 1600 (John) set up the S&C Special Interests section and I moved it across. I dread to think how many posts we'd have if it was in there! I'm almost wearing the keyboard out as it is! Soon to reach 3500.... hell, even Gilbert's Peterborough layout has only got to 3550!!!!!

I'm happy with progress. Was very happy with my valley until this lot got hold of it. Now I'll be EVEN HAPPIER. I can't wait 'til the morning when I can get the power tools out!!

Jeff

• Like 2

Jeff

I can't believe that you are doing something without consulting 'The Lunesters' for a democtratic bebate :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I think we need an AGM to discuss further involvement by Lord Lune without consulting the membership, hahaheeeeeee

Chairman me  ow?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I can't believe that you are doing something without consulting 'The Lunesters' for a democtratic bebate :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Hi Duncan!

I will tell you something... I've had so much input from the Lunesters over the last 2 days - and you are going to see A LOT of it in the end product. Some may not be noticeable by Sunday, but when I show the base I've created I'll list all the extras that are going in. Then the Lunesters can ADD some more!

Jason can get his maps out and suggest I should have the Matterhorn for the viaduct backscene (this was written with Jason lurking - wonder if he'll comment!!?).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I think we need an AGM to discuss further involvement by Lord Lune without consulting the membership, hahaheeeeeee

Chairman me  ow?

Now don't get catty with me!!  :jester:

Your Lordship (ie. your boss!)