Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Now, now Mr 'Chard..... don't have a seizure on me!! Lol!!!!

I would rather swim with sharks than perform a "The Fell" construction....

Having said that, it might be worth having one in a disused goods siding...quietly rotting away due to underuse!  :O  :jester:

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan, you don't need my permission to go ahead with anything! It's not as if I own a Lunester trademark...

Now - was I imagining that you'd started a layout thread? Or was it just the question you posed in the Layout and Design subsection?

Just done the daily exercise. I'm very competitive with myself and I'm certainly improving. But it's hard work! coffee then out into the bunker.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, You keep mentioning that EXERSISE WORD, :nono:  I have just had lunch, the last thing I want is INDIGESTION, :beee:   I will need to take a Settlers and Calm down OR S&C for short :no:  hahahhaaa

SCOTT, well 1000 out of 999 that is fantastic :senile:  and yes I have rushed around to the newsagents and ORDERED the AUGUST 2013 COPY,

Now then YOUNG Jeff, you really do have something to live up to. :jester:

I was sorry to hear of Dave's ilness last week, but Great Northern has started a great thread in Musings and Ramblings which is a wonderfil read if you have time.

Have you ordered tha grass yet? :O

Old Lune :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff. My layout is still firmly in the Design subsection at the mo, but will hope to progress to the Layout section in time. A small matter of nuptuals and conversion of loft to layout/storage room first.

Hi Jeff. My layout is still firmly in the Design subsection at the mo, but will hope to progress to the Layout section in time. A small matter of nuptuals and conversion of loft to layout/storage room first.

Hi Jonathan

Suggest you convert the loft first then the nuptuals as you won't be allowed to after(Married 23 years and still no layout, SWMBO keeps muttering about a guest bedroom!!!!!)

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at what Gilbert's started off...

No grass yet. The Cumbrian fells were subjected to a brief spell of radioactive fall-out from Sellafield. As a result, the grass has died and we currently have the "albino look"!!

I've done a couple of hours of wiring today. It's looking very neat under the boards. May wire-up a few more droppers this evening when my enthusiasm returns!

Btw, thanks for the last batch of emails. The one about the stroboscope/flashing light and the wife is a classic! And it's too rude to repeat on here!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update.....

Well, the temptation to run a loco in the fiddle yard is growing stronger. All the non-turnout droppers in the yard (there are 50 pairs) are now connected into terminal blocks (in groups of 2 or 3 per block). A connection from any of those blocks to the track bus would activate the relevant rail sections.

But I will resist!

I'm going to check out all the Cobalt blade switching first (DC input to Cobalt terminals 1 and 8 ) as there are a few issues with the turnout blades on a few of the 14 or so turnouts in the yard. Not a difficult job, but a pain in the bum (discussed previously in posts 1075 on).

I also have to "move mountains" for easy access (I can do the job without, but while the hills can be shifted, I'll take advantage) so there's another task I'll be doing tomorrow - photos of what it is by the end of the afternoon...

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Update.....

Well, the temptation to run a loco in the fiddle yard is growing stronger. All the non-turnout droppers in the yard (there are 50 pairs) are now connected into terminal blocks (in groups of 2 or 3 per block). A connection from any of those blocks to the track bus would activate the relevant rail sections.

But I will resist!

I'm going to check out all the Cobalt blade switching first (DC input to Cobalt terminals 1 and 8 ) as there are a few issues with the turnout blades on a few of the 14 or so turnouts in the yard. Not a difficult job, but a pain in the bum (discussed previously in posts 1075 on).

I also have to "move mountains" for easy access (I can do the job without, but while the hills can be shifted, I'll take advantage) so there's another task I'll be doing tomorrow - photos of what it is by the end of the afternoon...

Jeff

Go on Jeff go for it get the loco going, you know you wan to, you crave loco movement, move the loco not the mountains

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan

Suggest you convert the loft first then the nuptuals as you won't be allowed to after(Married 23 years and still no layout, SWMBO keeps muttering about a guest bedroom!!!!!)

Ian

Ian,

We are about to move and I have been allowed the third bedroom ,as long as we can have a single pull out bed'.   As the room will probably be for grandchildren, I am sure the thought of sleeping in Grandad's railway room would excite them, even if they only want to use it as a base to play wargames on!  :O

• RMweb Premium

Go on Jeff go for it get the loco going, you know you wan to, you crave loco movement, move the loco not the mountains

Billy, you are getting as bad as the Old Lune himself!! I bet you and AndyP are in league to coerce me to get my class 9 shunting along the yard!!

Well you'll have to wait a couple of days (can I hold out THAT long?).....

Jeff   :mosking:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As for the hills. The shape will still change, but what comes home when you look at it is - HOW MUCH BL**DY STONE-WALLING I'M GOING TO HAVE TO BUILD!!

Jeff

Jeff,

What you need are little jobs to do when you have a spare half hour, say between a physics lesson and going to your brothers.  I had little jobs I could do like that until it all got packed away for the great move to the other side of the world, well round the M25.  Dry stome walling is perfect for that.  Once the weather warms up you can nip out to the bunker and do a couple of inches at a time and it should be finished at the same time as the last slate foes on your goods shed.

Keep up the good work and don't forget to have FUN!  :yes:

Oh yes, haven't they run Kings over the S&C as well?  Another excursion train!

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

Strangely enough, looking along the line of the yard, from below the boards, and seeing lots of neatly arranged droppers, made me feel quite good!

And I have a "little scheme" that'll take an hour or so for tomorrow. At some stage I'll have to build another 2 tunnel portals, though they'll be a bit less fussy than the last one.

As for Kings - yes, I'm sure I've seen at least one photo of such running on the S&C. At the end of the day we can all invoke Rule 1 just for the hell of it!

And I'm sure it must have been hell having to circumnavigate the M25! I wonder whether Sir Francis Drake or Magellan could have managed it?  :jester:

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Strangely enough, looking along the line of the yard, from below the boards, and seeing lots of neatly arranged droppers, made me feel quite good!

And I have a "little scheme" that'll take an hour or so for tomorrow.

Go on Jeff, you know you want to :senile:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Having a couple of tasks on the go is a good idea to keep motivation up. Today, for example, I have been working on the new bridge (it dawned on me that the back side of it will, after all, be visible as I have more buildings planned, so I added panels, rivets, etc. to it), and later on started to knock together a shop front from Plastikard and Microstrip, although that can wait a few days before I post a photo up. I am also slowly detailing the gardens behind the bay window houses, scribing more pavements and at some point this week, will start again on gutters and downpipes. It's all progress, even if it sometimes doesn't seem so.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I looked at Andy's (uax6) embankment yesterday. My immediate thought was how much easier a project that was to landscape than KL. Sensible Andy. Utterly crazy Jeff!!

Jeff

That has to be the first time that statement has been used about me! Small it may be, but have I got the time.... nope!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

You look to have been busy Jeff. I would certainly set up some sort of drystone wall corner in your kitchen, so that when you are bored watching telly you can roll out the strips of differing sizes, and then when you can you would have enough to have loads of walling!

I'm thinking of having a bodging thread on making a HR castle or Jones Goods soon, and I'll be using a Lunester thread tag for it. One thing that I am looking for though is lots and lots of old triang B12 flanged driving wheels. Could you all have a look in your bits boxes and see what you have lurking please? I think I need 12 more pairs to complete the locos I need to build! (and any scrap B12 or triang 0-6-0 chassis too!) any odd set would be gratefully recieved for the bodging to begin!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Oh, forgot to add, picked up the first pile of Railway Modellers from my mate to scan the interesting stuff out of. These are 1967/8 ones, and funny enough quite a bit of DJ writing about S&C and Marthwaite appear. I think you may be getting some more emails of pages over the upcoming weeks!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Its a funny old thing this tagging. My Highland Embankment had about 300 views when I left work on Thursday, looked this morning it has got over a thousand, and is now, apprentley, HOT! Are we going to take over RMweb?

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Would a fellow Lunester kindly tell me how to edit the tags so that I can label my thread as a "Lunester". I had a brief go last night but the internet connection was so slow in the dales, I gave up. Thanks.

Jonathan

Edit the first post in your thread (using the button at the bottom of the post).  Then click on 'use full editor' (at the bottom of the edit box).  One of the boxes at the top of the full editor page allows you to enter tags to describe the thread - this is free form text, so be careful with your speilings - separate the tags with commas. 

For example I tagged by modular narrow gauge thread with "009, Lunester Layout, Narrow Gauge, Freelance" which produces the 4 tags "009", "Lunester Layout", "Narrow Gauge", and "Freelance".

• RMweb Premium

Oh, forgot to add, picked up the first pile of Railway Modellers from my mate to scan the interesting stuff out of. These are 1967/8 ones, and funny enough quite a bit of DJ writing about S&C and Marthwaite appear. I think you may be getting some more emails of pages over the upcoming weeks!

Andy

Mike (61680) has been sending me articles, but I don't mind a few more. They make for an interesting read.

Its a funny old thing this tagging. My Highland Embankment had about 300 views when I left work on Thursday, looked this morning it has got over a thousand, and is now, apprentley, HOT! Are we going to take over RMweb?

Andy

Yes, I think we are. If you look at the Today's Top 20 posters lists, you'll frequently find 5 or 6 of us in there!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan

Edit the first post in your thread (using the button at the bottom of the post).  Then click on 'use full editor' (at the bottom of the edit box).  One of the boxes at the top of the full editor page allows you to enter tags to describe the thread - this is free form text, so be careful with your speilings - separate the tags with commas

For example I tagged by modular narrow gauge thread with "009, Lunester Layout, Narrow Gauge, Freelance" which produces the 4 tags "009", "Lunester Layout", "Narrow Gauge", and "Freelance".

Or you can type in a tag name eg. Brick outhouses and press Enter .... the tag will appear in a grey box. Then repeat the process.

I've only set one tag on KL. The problem with having several is you get a lot of mixed stuff at the foot of every page of your thread. Of course, searching for Lunester isn't affected by however many tags you have.

Jeff