Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Very true Billy! Btw, I was going to ask - maybe I should just read your thread again - what period and motive power are you going to use on Shedrington? Are you BR blue 70s, for example?

It would be interesting, Peter. Most of us have based layouts on Midland, ex-LMS or northern-rail derivatives. People like Polly would have to educate us on the merits of the GWR. What's your "poison" Peter? Living in Dorset it's got to be S&DJR?

Jeff

Jeff

It is not based on any prototype but is in the 60's era maybe to early 70's and in the East Midlands, my history with railways goes back to late 50's early 60's my dad used to work on Railway Engineering projects installing wagon tipplers, conveyors etc. at power stations, coal, mines, quarry etc. and he would often take me with him, he also never learnt to drive so we would travel all over the UK to the various places he would work  by train.

Hence my now turning back to the rails via modelling

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Billy. I was just curious.

Ok - here are two MORE pics of almost the same thing. The difference being that they'll be the last hillside pics for at least a week. Time to move on to the fiddle-yard wiring...

I've added another 5kg, or so, of plaster onto the portal hillside and the corner of the adjacent one. The 3 "fells" are ready to be plaster bandaged together. The "joins" will have a substantial amount of plaster added, to disguise them. That may happen in a couple of weeks time.

View down the valley: valley formers replaced to give a "feel" of the place...

post-13778-0-67603300-1359907590_thumb.jpg

"That view" across the viaduct - AGAIN!

post-13778-0-32203400-1359907601_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

I am NOT SURE about Poly educating us Lunesters, :no:  I THINK SHE NEEDS THE EDUCATING, :nono: hahahaaaa

SORRY, can't have the Lunesters day in my little Den its only 9 x 7 :scared: anyway Jeff would see my N Gauge and rush home early to rip up KL :stinker:

WOW, that hillside does look pretty impressive now that there is some plaster on it, I had better get on and do that Scenic Vid as you will need that NEXT WEEK :no:

DID YOU SAY MORE COBOLTS? :O

Question =  how many Cobolts does it take to operate KL?

Answer = TOOOOOOOO MANY, hahaaaaaa :protest:   

Old Lune :sungum:

Just off to load a Video on Glen Roy, I HOPE :stinker:

• Like 1

Jeff

I don't know if I should be worried or not, but I can see in my own mind how that area will finally look. :help:

At least when you finish wiring the fiddle yard next week you can 'test run' some loco's

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

You make me laugh. Must admit, I've got the 3 hill sections - totalling about 2.5m (over 8') in length - pretty well matched and wish I could join the m up NOW. But they need to be removable while I finalise the electrics in the yard. Then there'll be another 2 sections, totalling another 2m. The final one will include 2 tunnels and it'll have a lot of stonework in it - so I can make up some of my rock faces.

As for Cobalts. There are 39 in the layout. One has yet to be fitted in the goods yard. 2 can be slotted into the fiddle yard - the holes are ready-prepared. I've wired and tested out - including the turnout operation - 24 so far. But when they get connected up they'll still need polarity checking.

Layouts are like giant jigsaws - a piece here, a piece there. It'll be good to run a loco or two, even if it's only up and down a 6' straight.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I don't know if I should be worried or not, but I can see in my own mind how that area will finally look. :help:

At least when you finish wiring the fiddle yard next week you can 'test run' some loco's

Duncan

You must have read my mind as I was writing my last post, Duncan!

I've just been stood in the bunker for the last 30 minutes, looking at my track diagrams and checking which droppers are already connected. It's got me in the frame of mind for more wiring.

As for the hills. The shape will still change, but what comes home when you look at it is - HOW MUCH BL**DY STONE-WALLING I'M GOING TO HAVE TO BUILD!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Good this thread is livening up, I''ve got another 7 hours to go and I need something to keep me sane when the traffic dies down, question for Andy(uax6) why is it I can be quietly monitoring the trains with no one bothering me and then the minute the chinese take away arrives (or I'm holding two pieces of plastic together for the glue to dry) every man and his dog rings up to do maintenence work!!

Ian

I'm glad it's not just me that struggles with that one! Being a 'proper signalman' in a 'proper box' ( ;-} ) it doesn't happen very often, but I do think it is unfair for all these people to interrupt important things with work to do.

Have a quiet night, I'm back in tomorrow for a week of nights.

Andy

Hi Jeff and all,

Been to Stafford today and got nothing done again! C&L did not attend so that scuppered buying a trial point kit.

I was a little disappointed with the show and the trade so may study the Doncaster itinery before deciding, however all these shows means less modelling time but to make up for this I just spend about 60 minutes catching up with the Lunesters!!! Brill.

Have added Dent to Lunester Layouts tagged, hope that's ok - Oh great one.

Fells looking fantastic but its not often you hear choosing wiring over scenery - or anything else for that matter. Are you a sadist as well as a lune?

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike - your attitude is spot on. I'd much rather continue with my valley and Fell construction. However, I really need to get all the droppers organised, the final Cobalts in and something running - even if it is only a few sections of track!

Yep, noticed you'd gone "Lunester Layout" too. It was a good idea of Jason's and allows us to keep an eye on each other just that bit easier.

Hopefully there'll be a good contingent of Lunesters at Members Day.

Btw, the DJ "Little Long Drag" article is interesting. I like the size of the building he housed it in!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Evening Jeff

Those hills are seriously BIG, now that you have such a large length of them the viaduct seems to look very small at the end of the valley but the overall view is great and it is not hard to visualise it  complete now.

As for wanting to do scenery first I agree with that, I still have wiring too complete as most of my testing was done with some wires stuck to the rail in each section and running through the points, but then again it is DC and only small at the moment. I'll wire up under the board later but I may have to resist that method when I eventually make the junction, it's bigger.

I am still hoping to get to Stafford later if I can, but for now I am going to Doncaster on whichever day suits, I'll know that in the next day or two.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jim. 

After I've joined them all together I'll add a little more variation in height - only 5cm at the most, but it'll get rid of the "sameness".

A strange thing is that I can spend weeks building structures, such as hillsides, and never get bored. But when I went into the bunker earlier to look at the wiring I felt a bit reluctant to start - even though so much has already been done. And the wiring is easy - but VERY TEDIOUS!!

Please keep commenting on how the scenery is going. A few of you on here are very objective and it keeps me on the right lines.

Jeff

:jester:

Come on Jeff, just popped in before bed and expected to see a VIDEO of the first train over the viaduct, :nono:  :senile:  :senile:

Is my computer going SLOW? :beee:

OR

Haven't you wired it ALL up yet?  :no:

Trusty Old Lune :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It would be interesting, Peter. Most of us have based layouts on Midland, ex-LMS or northern-rail derivatives. People like Polly would have to educate us on the merits of the GWR. What's your "poison" Peter? Living in Dorset it's got to be S&DJR?

Jeff

I am NOT SURE about Poly educating us Lunesters, :no: I THINK SHE NEEDS THE EDUCATING, :nono: hahahaaaa

SORRY, can't have the Lunesters day in my little Den its only 9 x 7 :scared: anyway Jeff would see my N Gauge and rush home early to rip up KL :stinker:

WOW, that hillside does look pretty impressive now that there is some plaster on it, I had better get on and do that Scenic Vid as you will need that NEXT WEEK :no:

Hi Jeff and Lunesters

Looks like I'm just in time. Wondered why my ears were burning? Ah, that's why some of you have fire extinguishers in the shed...

Merits of the GWR? That's easy. Grandad worked on it - with the horses - and I got rides on the crossbar of his bike on his way home from work on Wednesday afternoons when we visited, up till I was 71/2 anyway. There. Educated. :senile:

Well, Jeff, your viaduct will soon be sitting nicely in the landscape. [Edit: and don't worry about the viaduct looking small - it won't when you're close up - just like in the real world - oh! That is the real world!}

Looking forward to seeing the video of Glen Roy, Andy.

Learned  Lune 

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy.

Your post made me smile and brought back memories of June last year. I think I'd just built the subframe and you asked me how long it would be before I had all the track down and grass in place. You suggested it would only be a week or so, and when I proceeded to spend 7 weeks building the viaducts you described me as an unbelievably patient man!

Stiil no grass..... And the famous DCC "two wires to the track" statement makes me laugh. Strictly correct, but not very practical. Anyway, the heater is on in the bunker and I'll be wiring for a few days this week. I at least EXPECT to have something moving and I'll probably power up to the far side of the viaduct - so my test shunter can be the first to run all the way across!

Sorry to admit it, but I don't have a video camera. I've no idea what the quality of pictures would be like from my mobile - probably rubbish. Keep encouraging me, Old Lune!

From "not quite so Old Lune"!!

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

The way Lune Fell is developing, it realy gives a real sense of perspective looking towards the viaduct. It appears to be growing in a natural way.

Duncan = Impressed Lunester

Thanks Duncan. I LOVE building this kind of thing. There are no real rules to what is right and what is wrong - after all, look at the variety of hillsides you see! I do, however, keep reminding myself how crazy I am to have DESIGNED in so MUCH landscape. It looks ok on paper. It's FUN to build. But it's going to take a LOT of covering!!

I looked at Andy's (uax6) embankment yesterday. My immediate thought was how much easier a project that was to landscape than KL. Sensible Andy. Utterly crazy Jeff!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly.

Apologies for not giving you a direct reply for a few days. It's nice to hear your take on things, but you tend to get swamped by the vast input from the Midland/S&C brigade!

I'm very pleased with the progress I'm making. There are times when I stand in the bunker, look around and think to myself "so much to do". But things are different to the last layout - which I spent 8 years working on. Then, I'd think the same. And nothing would get done for months. Now, I have the encouragement of everyone on here and it drives me forward. Even an hour here and an hour there soon adds up!

I'm looking forward to putting a bit of height on the right side of the viaduct - there'll be a small cutting there. But that'll have to wait for a couple of weeks...other fish to fry!

I will definitely be running at least one railtour arrangement on here that is powered by a Castle loco. Got to get my hands on one and it'll make you feel a bit more at home!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, I don't have a layout (yet) to tag as "Lunester", but wondered about "Lunester kit building"? Doesn't really roll of the tongue though. That valley and view is really coming together, there's something very Headstone tunnel and viaduct about it. The Black 5 is really coming on now. I got the hand rails and other plumbing fitted so not long to go now before I can apply some paint, but the weather will have to warm up first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, I don't have a layout (yet) to tag as "Lunester", but wondered about "Lunester kit building"? Doesn't really roll of the tongue though. That valley and view is really coming together, there's something very Headstone tunnel and viaduct about it. The Black 5 is really coming on now. I got the hand rails and other plumbing fitted so not long to go now before I can apply some paint, but the weather will have to warm up first.

Jonathan, you HAVE to tag your kit-build with a Lunester tag as you are one of the original Lunesters on this thread. I thought you had a layout thread at the planning stage? If so, please give that the relevant tag.

Having seen photos of the Headstone situation, I know what you mean.

Jeff 

How about using the tag 'Lunester Thread' for non-layout threads?  Means we can see all of what we're up to easily, (and Andy Y can find us easily when the men in white coats come calling!)

I agree with you about the wiring Jeff - so much to do, and until you've done a goodly amount, you can't really tell that anything's happened...

*snip*

"That view" across the viaduct - AGAIN!

attachicon.gif100_2669.JPG

Jeff

I can see a point in time in the future when "the iconic viaduct and tunnel mouth" shot from K/L graces Model Rail, and is as well known as Dave Shakespeare's canal scene off Tetley Mills....

post-8688-0-21445700-1359979023_thumb.jpg

Just remember Lunesters, you were HERE when it all started!

Cheers

Scott

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Scott, you've really excelled yourself there! A classic bit of work!! I only hope that KL turns out to be a fraction as good as Dave's Tetleys Mills.

Such irony, given that it was that very layout in the first Model Rail that inspired me back into the hobby in 1997/1998.

I've just spent an hour or so under the fiddle yard. I've labelled-up about 30 sets of droppers (I've done at least as many, under the yard alone, previously). Now I know where all the bits of wire come from I can spend the afternoon tidying them up into terminal blocks. Don't you just love wiring?

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for the go-ahead re. Lunester tag although it will have to wait till I get home as the work's 'puter will not let me do certain things. Even now I have to change the theme to "mobile" in order to post.

Jeff, to be mentioned in the same breath as the great Dave of Tetley Mills is high praise, such a shame he has been diagnosed with what seems to be very life-limiting cancer.