Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Young Lord Lune,

Well what a great day George T and I have had at Stafford, Bumped into Andy Y first thing and said that we would be having Lunester Party at the RM Web open day, he did look a bit bemused :O

A Lunester Party, now there's a great idea :drinks:  :dancing:  :laugh:

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's good to see the progress, plenty of thought provoking senic stuff as well.  I have never done senics so perhaps I will have to have a very urban Mid-Wales.

I went out on Tuesday for the evening and it has taken me this long to catch up.  I am sure that when I logged on tonight there were only 152 pages and as I read down each page another page appeared!  I should have had plenty of time as I had Thursday off as leave and I retired (early) on Friday, but we have been getting ready to move and to move my youngest son out, (for the third time), today.

No modelling until we move in and then just small projects until we get the place sorted.  All previous plans are now defunct as I have been told I can have the third bedroom! Well, as long as we can sleep someone in there sometimes.

Just one question about the tags.  If someone is looking for an S&C or late steam layout they may find it harder to find, except I suppose that all the Lunester layouts will be in 'View New Content'.  I suppose I never had had a problem finding what I follow as it is either in 'Content I follow' or 'My Content'.  My problem is reading through the layouts I have started on so that I'm only reading the new content so that I can start on other layouts after that.  When I move and am off line for a while....... :O  (I'll probably come back and it will have been so long you will be running Voyagers and stream excursions.

• Like 1

Jeff, the photographic aspect you've achieved looking along the viaduct towards the tunnel (almost in a footplate view) is brilliant, and will repay you time and time again when operating.  

As KL develops it's nearly got me reaching for the crayons to overhaul Teviotbank in its entirety.  If only it were five degrees warmer I'd be able to spend more than the ten minutes daily that I've been achieving in the garage.  Maybe if I grin and bear it tomorrow I can finish the clearout and be able to start storing stock against the inevitable....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A Lunester Party, now there's a great idea :drinks:  :dancing:  :laugh:

Duncan

Duncan - the plan is that as many of us that can make it meet up at the Member's Day in Stafford in July.

Hence Andy P's reference to what Andy Y might think!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, the photographic aspect you've achieved looking along the viaduct towards the tunnel (almost in a footplate view) is brilliant, and will repay you time and time again when operating.  

As KL develops it's nearly got me reaching for the crayons to overhaul Teviotbank in its entirety.  If only it were five degrees warmer I'd be able to spend more than the ten minutes daily that I've been achieving in the garage.  Maybe if I grin and bear it tomorrow I can finish the clearout and be able to start storing stock against the inevitable....

Hi 'Chard,

Hee hee - I'm glad you like it! The result is somewhat fortuitous - the tunnel could have been further "round the bend" if I'd planned my fiddle yard differently. As it is, curved turnouts forced the tunnel nearer to the viaduct - presto!!

Thanks for the earlier reference justifying the "no embankment" look, by the way.

Please don't let me be the catalyst for the re-working of your layout! Must admit, I forgot to put the heater on today - so when I went into the bunker at 1pm it was 5C. Soon got it up to a tropical 12C, though!!

Are you fully recovered from your chest infection? Low temperatures and chest infections certainly don't mix!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's good to see the progress, plenty of thought provoking senic stuff as well.  I have never done senics so perhaps I will have to have a very urban Mid-Wales.

I went out on Tuesday for the evening and it has taken me this long to catch up.  I am sure that when I logged on tonight there were only 152 pages and as I read down each page another page appeared!  I should have had plenty of time as I had Thursday off as leave and I retired (early) on Friday, but we have been getting ready to move and to move my youngest son out, (for the third time), today.

No modelling until we move in and then just small projects until we get the place sorted.  All previous plans are now defunct as I have been told I can have the third bedroom! Well, as long as we can sleep someone in there sometimes.

Just one question about the tags.  If someone is looking for an S&C or late steam layout they may find it harder to find, except I suppose that all the Lunester layouts will be in 'View New Content'.  I suppose I never had had a problem finding what I follow as it is either in 'Content I follow' or 'My Content'.  My problem is reading through the layouts I have started on so that I'm only reading the new content so that I can start on other layouts after that.  When I move and am off line for a while....... :O  (I'll probably come back and it will have been so long you will be running Voyagers and stream excursions.

No chance of the Voyagers! Steam excursions - yes, maybe! Why? Well, it'd give me an opportunity to buy and run a Castle on KL, as they were used on some excursions.

As for catching-up with the content. I updated the Index on Tuesday (28th). Only to have to update it today, as another 9 pages had gone in since then!! The thing is, the "virus" is spreading - as you'll have noticed with the proliferation of Lunester layouts!! I love it!  :jester:  :sungum:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

So Stafford is the place to avoid in July, for those sane ones amongst us.....

It's ok Peter. You can stay in Dorset and watch your Simpson DVDs!

But if you are in Stafford I'd enjoy a good chat!!

Jeff

I daren't go so far as the Glenfarg solution, NB though it is, it's too "signature" Perth Direct for me to use on anything but a layout on a Kinross theme.  

However, I do believe I can make better use of the viewing position afforded by the back garage door, and there are many reasons for swapping other features round.

As for the chest infection, that eventually fizzled out but whilst laid low I must've picked up something that caused acute sinusitis for about five days this week.  A condition so painful at night that I've ended the week with a hefty sleep debt.  ARGH!

Hi all

Good this thread is livening up, I''ve got another 7 hours to go and I need something to keep me sane when the traffic dies down, question for Andy(uax6) why is it I can be quietly monitoring the trains with no one bothering me and then the minute the chinese take away arrives (or I'm holding two pieces of plastic together for the glue to dry) every man and his dog rings up to do maintenence work!!

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I daren't go so far as the Glenfarg solution, NB though it is, it's too "signature" Perth Direct for me to use on anything but a layout on a Kinross theme.  

However, I do believe I can make better use of the viewing position afforded by the back garage door, and there are many reasons for swapping other features round.

As for the chest infection, that eventually fizzled out but whilst laid low I must've picked up something that caused acute sinusitis for about five days this week.  A condition so painful at night that I've ended the week with a hefty sleep debt.  ARGH!

Must admit that my sleep patterns are non-existent at the moment. I just cannot sleep properly and regularly find I'm getting by on 4-5 hours! I think it's a getting old thing, so a youngster like you should be fine!!

Nothing worse than second, third, fourth etc-guessing your layout. I was lucky to have picked a near-prototype and Mike (Stationmaster), then some of the other Lunesters, helped me to fine-tune it. Some great ideas on here. I sometimes felt guilty at having to say "no". Peter - if you're watching - I'd have loved to have that quarry you suggested - just no space. You did get your embankments, though.

In the end, so long as we're happy with what we build, then that's good. The thought of sitting in that access corner watching trains coming and going into/out-of the tunnel, across the viaduct, is motivation enough for me!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Good this thread is livening up, I''ve got another 7 hours to go and I need something to keep me sane when the traffic dies down, question for Andy(uax6) why is it I can be quietly monitoring the trains with no one bothering me and then the minute the chinese take away arrives (or I'm holding two pieces of plastic together for the glue to dry) every man and his dog rings up to do maintenence work!!

Ian

Hi Ian.

Just to show you how lively - when I came out of the bunker at 5pm we'd had about 4 posts since breakfast and 60 views. Now over 400 views today and a bit of activity.

And I hate you - I'm trying to resist some cheese-on-toast and you summon up a chinese!!

Jeff

Hi Ian.

Just to show you how lively - when I came out of the bunker at 5pm we'd had about 4 posts since breakfast and 60 views. Now over 400 views today and a bit of activity.

And I hate you - I'm trying to resist some cheese-on-toast and you summon up a chinese!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Beef with Mushrooms, some rice, chips and prawn crackers, sorry can't do cheese but I do have couple of eggs to go with toast about 4am!!

ian

• RMweb Premium

My excuse for not posting today is because a couple of mates came round last night and one of them (only 24 years old) brought a bottle of single malt with him, that we demolished when we got back from the pub. As a result, I have felt evil all day. Sofia was out so I watched three B&R DVD's back to back (Along LMS Lines - Carnforth, Cumbrian Coast & The Windermere branch; Steam's Swansong - the North West including Cumbria; L&Y Lines Volume 6 - around Manchester, including Bacup) and then later on, made a start on the girder bridge for the scenic break. Once again, I am scratchbuilding rather than use the Wills Vari-Girders, which basically means cutting out strips of rivets and glueing Microstrip at odd angles; all for something tat I may not SE as I am not totally convinced (see my thread for what I mean).

Can't sleep now because I didn't wake up until 11:30 (and I never sleep in, ever) so am having a Bottle of Jennings Sneck Lifter to feed the monkey on my back :)

The moral of the story is, don't try and out drink 24 year old Glaswegians because although you (well, I) can, they will feel fine in the morning whereas you will feel like you have been turned inside out.

Jeff

I'm aiming to make Stafford if only to have a great time and put a few names to faces. However, if the Lunesters membership grows, half of it will be a Lunesters Members Day.

Chard - I totally sympathise with you (not something I normally do), it's something I suffer with at times as well.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, looks like Lunesters likes viaducts and canals.  Me too. Three Bridges, Windmill Lane is a contender for Great West Road.  Though not as 'pretty' as KL's, it is a Scheduled Ancient Monument:  (Do I get extra points for that, I wonder?  Will have to check it out with Lunester Heritage)

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1183856

Just got to work out if I can get the branch line low enough to hide a track or two underneath the road or canal.  Maybe have a shallow incline up to the turntable to provide extra depth at that end of the board.

We bumped into AndyP and GeorgeT at Stafford, today - a mini Lunester pit stop.  We did remember, you Jeff - not allowed to say what Jeff had lurking in his newly acquired carrier bag, though - nothing that'll threaten KL.....

Polly

Too much thinking Lunester

Jeff

A bit quite again this morning, as this is out main meeting area I thought I would ask the Question

Any Lunesters going to Doncaster next weekend 9 - 10 February at the Racecourse Exhibition Centre

Would be nice to meet up if...........

Edited by billyb_imp

Morning Jeff, I hope you are well and up to your armpits in wire and solder. :O

Just how you can resist conecting up that track and starting to run trains is way beyond me. :nono:  As soon as I have a couple of points in place and a yard of track I stick a loco on to get a FEEL for how the next stage will come together. :no:  I guess thats because I fly by the seat of my pants and DON'T PLAN AHEAD to much. :drag:  I just want to play, :senile:  play, :senile:  play :senile:

Got a viewing on the House at lunchtime so I will check back in to all the Lunester Layouts later

I have sent you a PM.

Lazy Old Lune :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning folks.

Hope it's not going to be as quiet as yesterday - though it certainly speeded up last night! And Jason, hope the monkey has now disappeared!

It sounds like quite a number of you were at Stafford yesterday. I can't make Doncaster, but the Member's Day is booked in, whenever it is.

Time to go and plaster yesterday's hillside. 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, I hope you are well and up to your armpits in wire and solder. :O

Just how you can resist conecting up that track and starting to run trains is way beyond me. :nono:  As soon as I have a couple of points in place and a yard of track I stick a loco on to get a FEEL for how the next stage will come together. :no:  I guess thats because I fly by the seat of my pants and DON'T PLAN AHEAD to much. :drag:  I just want to play, :senile:  play, :senile:  play :senile:

Wire and solder tomorrow, Andy. My "problem" is that there is so much of each job to do that I have to allocate my time doing bursts of different bits, or risk getting bored. I spent the best part of 2 months laying track - but mixed in a bit of wiring and scenic work in-between.

The yard work isn't simply a question of wiring. A few of the turnout tie-bars need work as they're a bit stiff, a couple more Cobalts need to go in, droppers need tidying and grouping, then some will get soldered to the bus as testing proceeds. I'll make it a leisurely week!

Hope the house viewing goes well.

Jeff

Morning folks.

It sounds like quite a number of you were at Stafford yesterday. I can't make Doncaster, but the Member's Day is booked in, whenever it is.

Jeff

Jeff

The way things are going with the growth of Lunester threads we will soon be able to have a member day for just we Lunesters  :no:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

The way things are going with the growth of Lunester threads we will soon be able to have a member day for just we Lunesters  :no:

Very true Billy! Btw, I was going to ask - maybe I should just read your thread again - what period and motive power are you going to use on Shedrington? Are you BR blue 70s, for example?

Now that IS frightening.

It would be interesting, Peter. Most of us have based layouts on Midland, ex-LMS or northern-rail derivatives. People like Polly would have to educate us on the merits of the GWR. What's your "poison" Peter? Living in Dorset it's got to be S&DJR?

Jeff

• Like 1