Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff just popped in to look at the new pics but my computer WON'T SHOW THEM, hahaaaaaaa

Grumpy Old Lune :sungum:

Morning Andy.

Nothing yet as I've so far done....nothing. Waiting for the bunker to warm up. I had it up to 14C yesterday. 5C an hour or so ago.... I got up early, did a bit of reading, had my breakfast - and forgot to put the heater on.

The new pics will be nothing special - I promise you!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Tag amended, thank you gentlemen.

Getting back to KL and walls Jeff, there's a very interesting article on how to make them for the S&C area of North Yorks in this month's Railway Modeller, if I dare mention that publication on here. A plasticard jig, DAS, wallpaper roller and modelling knife are all that's needed, very effective they look too.

• RMweb Premium

Tag amended, thank you gentlemen.

Getting back to KL and walls Jeff, there's a very interesting article on how to make them for the S&C area of North Yorks in this month's Railway Modeller, if I dare mention that publication on here. A plasticard jig, DAS, wallpaper roller and modelling knife are all that's needed, very effective they look too.

Thanks Jonathan. Andy (uax6) mentioned the same thing a while back - and when he mentioned it was based on the stone walls near Dent, I went out and bought a copy.

It looks like I'll be doing something similar!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff

I thought you'd gone into hiding :jester:

Duncan - Busy Lune

Only in hiding as much as being in the bunker for the last 3 hours. Funny how the time flies by when you're enjoying yourself!

I've fitted the last 2 Cobalt motors, adjusted 3 turnout tie-bars and tested that the 3 turnouts in question all work fine. I'm going to sort out another 6 turnouts later.

I've also done something with the hillside. A week or so ago, I put "extension pieces" at the rear of the hill-frames (post 3652, Jan 29). This allowed the hillside to have a flatter top and extend about 15cm further back. The pieces were also fitted for another reason. They allow me an easy place to fit a backscene board or two, The photos below show the first fitted in place. It's 3mm MDF and extends about 20-25 cm above hill level (depending on the hill contour). The board is 1200mm long (4' in old money). When the next hill section goes in, another 4' section can easily be fitted. It'll be mostly "blue sky", with the odd (probably VERY odd) "Bob Ross Jeff" cloud chucked in.....

No doubt the Old Lune will have something to say........

post-13778-0-13979200-1360078598_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-32813600-1360078609_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

By Heck Jeff  :O 

Are you trying to re-create Ais Gill & Wild Boar Fell in a perfect scale replica ? That's a seriously flowing landscape there & i can already see it becoming home to plenty of sheep ;) 

You'll have plenty of scope on the hill for broken down barns & wildlife modeling to give it a real taste of the dales. It's a fantastic looking model is KL i am very impressed with your progress. Any chance of a big leaf out of your book ? i need some of your motivation to get Austwick rolling once again ;)

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Simon. Coming from someone who lives within the rural environment it means a lot to me!

I just do things my way - and they are probably way over the top. However, if there's anything in this thread that catches your eye, you are very welcome to use it. I think my main premise in KL is to let the railway become a subset of the landscape. The landscape HAS to be dominant - after all, the fells are effectively eternal compared to man's intrusions. 

I'd certainly recommend you have a look at Mike(mike61680)'s work on Dent - he's a bit of a craftsman when it comes to the layout elements.

I'm delighted to see that Austwick is coming out of storage. Please chip in here with loads of comments. I love the S&C and I know the area pretty well. But I DON'T live in it, so you can offer pointers I might miss. As for sheep and stonewalls......I'll need a few!

Cheers,

Jeff

After zipping through pages of Chaff Fell :sarcastic:  to reach Kirby Luneside and the part where you are constructing the mountainous hillsides, it's all looking very good Jeff capturing the essence of the district to a tee. It should give you hours of pleasure once traffic is in operation and, on reflection, you have achieved a heck of a lot in a short time.

• Like 1

Hi Jeff I have Just popped in for a quick look BUT I have lingered longer looking loveingly, lamementing lushness, (now run out of Lness) this is now really taking shape and I MEAN SHAPE.

I look forward to your Bob Ross bit mate, remember I used emulsion and just a tissue to form the clouds. You can do them wet or if you prefere wait for the sky to dry then dab out the clouds.

The walls are the things that will make it S & D through and through, so, I don.t envey the amount of wall you will need for the amount of Fell there is to cover.

Great stuff and great pic mate

Jealous Old Lune :sungum:

• Like 1

Mike (61680) has been sending me articles, but I don't mind a few more. They make for an interesting read.

Yes, I think we are. If you look at the Today's Top 20 posters lists, you'll frequently find 5 or 6 of us in there!

Jeff

Being a Lunester does seem to increase traffic all round we, could be bigger than Google

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind comments fellas!

I must admit to being a little bit surprised at the effect that backboard has had. It shuts out what's behind, and for the first time in a photo I seem to have got the lighting right, so some of the "contours" on the hillside stand out - instead of the whole thing looking "flat".

I've just checked out another 7 of the Cobalt-turnout links. A couple of "sticky" tie-bars, but, apart from one, I'm very happy. I'll run some wires from the control panel area to the motors tomorrow.

I didn't take any under-board photos - they don't show well due to the limited lighting and having to use flash.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Being a Lunester does seem to increase traffic all round we, could be bigger than Google

Evening Billy.

I tend to refer to other Lunester layouts/projects, to encourage other people to see what's going on. Hopefully, that also increases the number of visits! The more people that look at a thread, the more chance you have of being given new ideas, suggestions for improvements, answers to your questions etc.

The Forum is a very positive, forgiving place. If it wasn't, there'd be very few threads because people would be scared to get shot down in flames with whatever they do. You'll certainly not regret putting Shedrington into a thread!

Jeff

Jeff

I googled Lune Gorge earlier. Having seen some of the photos on there, you have realy captured the feel of the place.

That backboard has certainly improved the flow and perspective.

Well done. :fan:

Duncan - Impressed Lunester

Evening Billy.

I tend to refer to other Lunester layouts/projects, to encourage other people to see what's going on. Hopefully, that also increases the number of visits! The more people that look at a thread, the more chance you have of being given new ideas, suggestions for improvements, answers to your questions etc.

The Forum is a very positive, forgiving place. If it wasn't, there'd be very few threads because people would be scared to get shot down in flames with whatever they do. You'll certainly not regret putting Shedrington into a thread!

Jeff

I agree with you very much here, I have found the guidance I have received on Sheddrington absolutely invaluable and it is always given in a very pleasant way, although my layout is not prototypical & in many ways would not work, I do not feel forced to alter it for fear that if I don't I will be ostracized & thrown out to another forum far far away.

Instead any short comings have been explained in a clearway, leaving me to make an informed decision whilst still letting me know its my layout and I must consider what I want from it.

Long live the Lunesters & there king

• RMweb Premium

We're learning new things all the time. Great thing about the forum is the number of times you see something and think "why didn't I think of that?" Often they are VERY simple ideas!

If you haven't done so already, head across to Old Lune territory and look at the latest photos of Trebudoc - by night. Quite splendid.

In the meantime, I'm going to think about tomorrow's jobs. I MIGHT even connect a few droppers to the track bus and give that shunter a little run-out.....  :sungum: Just don't tell Andy!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of good points to which the answers are no and no.

I've made the hillside a little too high to match in with the board on the side wall. And the gap between them needs to have a board fixed behind the hill former. I can't make it curved - it would make the portal hillside too deep. It'll have to be angled.

I'd like to have said yes and yes. The second answer doesn't bother me, but I'm bl**dy annoyed with the first. I noticed the disparity this afternoon. Nothing I could do - other than make the hillside lower or move the board on the side wall - which would have a knock-on effect. I may have to make the side wall board a little bit wider by adding a bit on top.

Compromise.....

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I think you really need to make the height of the backscene the same around the whole layout if possible. This would provide a sense of continuity and "wholeness" to the entire model.

Peter

That is the only solution, and it will need extra straight sections adding on top of what's there. But there are practicalities to consider: curved backscenes in the corners sounds good - BUT those are access areas.... so it's easier with straight sections that can be removed.

As I said, if it's not easily possible I'll have to live with it. Having easy access into the rear of the viaduct/corners of the layout is more important than a curved backscene, so the latter may have to be sacrificed. 

Adding height on the straight walls is a necessity - you are right.

Jeff

That is the only solution, and it will need extra straight sections adding on top of what's there. But there are practicalities to consider: curved backscenes in the corners sounds good - BUT those are access areas.... so it's easier with straight sections that can be removed.

As I said, if it's not easily possible I'll have to live with it. Having easy access into the rear of the viaduct/corners of the layout is more important than a curved backscene, so the latter may have to be sacrificed. 

Adding height on the straight walls is a necessity - you are right.

Jeff

Do ponder that a bit, Jeff.   I'd imagine that the viaduct is just plain track, and so the odds of derailment there are very low*.  So while you would use the access to attend to the rear, I'm thinking the need to access the front may be exponentially less. That, in turn, may mean you can increase the backscene height....

*assuming you do the requisite testing once you've energised, and iron out any niggles.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Do ponder that a bit, Jeff.   I'd imagine that the viaduct is just plain track, and so the odds of derailment there are very low*.  So while you would use the access to attend to the rear, I'm thinking the need to access the front may be exponentially less. That, in turn, may mean you can increase the backscene height....

*assuming you do the requisite testing once you've energised, and iron out any niggles.

Cheers

Scott

Nothing will be decided for quite a while yet, but I made big mistakes with access on my last layout and I'm not going to make them again. There is the issue of getting to the track on the exit to the station and across the viaduct for cleaning purposes, for example.

I'll see if I can design a removeable curved insert. But the layout has to be functional and work - and that's the priority.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff

Just had time to catch up up and the hillside does look better already especially with the backscene board. Now those seem to be creating a debate of there own and I prefer to see a curved one personally but understand your dilemma, but as you know your access and plans I can only assume that you have given it plenty of thought or will do. I feel that it is one of those things that can let down what is going to be a fantastic view and I would try hard to prevent that.

A friend of mine does have removable - Oh I see you have just answered. Yes that is the best idea as I have seen it work, not on a hillside mind but I didn't know the removable bits were there until I was shown them.

Best of luck in whatever you decide, I'm pretty sure we will all think it's still great anyway.

All the best 

Jim

I agree 100% that you will be more aware of "the big picture" with regards the access and other issues (esp. as we see a camera-eye view, whilst you're living and breathing The Bunker), so know you'll rightly end up with the best soloution for your circumstances.

Jumping ahead a few days (!), have you thought about track cleaning equipment?  Whilst it's a pricey piece of kit, the unanimous excellent reviews have persuaded me to invest in one of these for Stockrington.  There's quite a few pages of data in that link - IMHO worth some of your "down time" to research.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Well, I'll give you lot a great deal of credit - AGAIN!

You've made me think about the backscene and especially the bit behind the tunnel portal. Scott did a wonderful "version" of Model Rail mag yesterday - post 3874 (it'll be in the next Index update!!) - and the view over the viaduct to the tunnel needs to be right.

I've come up with a scheme for that bit of backscene. I'm not going to say what it is until I've tried to build it. It may be tricky, but I'll give it a go sometime later this week. now there's a tease for you.

I sometimes feel like King Canute trying to turn back the tide..... Peter, Scott, Jim - you are definitely right. It's just a case of how I achieve this practically!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2