Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Index updated to today. Plenty going on in the background, just nothing that's especially relevant to KL.

And when we get to post 4700 I'll update the Lunester totals for you..... Who will be #1?? 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Evening Andy.

The old layout room is being re-civilised back to a bedroom. And I might actually leave it like that as it IS warm and south facing. There is another spare bedroom which is larger. It's north facing and houses most of the display cabinets that house my locos. It would make an ideal location for a shelf-shunting layout, should the desire arise!

Jeff

Sounds like you've got a Lunester B&B in the making, Jeff.  You'll just need the Luneside Tourism Award sign up and you'll be in business.  Of course, there'll be special rates for Lunester members with guided tours of KL, not forgetting driver experiences and photo opportunities.

Marketing Lune

• Like 2

The old layout room is being re-civilised back to a bedroom. And I might actually leave it like that as it IS warm and south facing. There is another spare bedroom which is larger. It's north facing and houses most of the display cabinets that house my locos. It would make an ideal location for a shelf-shunting layout, should the desire arise!

Jeff

Sounds like you have plenty of room for (eventualy) constructing KL Goods Yard in 0 gauge of course. :jester:

Duncan

Sounds like you've got a Lunester B&B in the making, Jeff.  You'll just need the Luneside Tourism Award sign up and you'll be in business.  Of course, there'll be special rates for Lunester members with guided tours of KL, not forgetting driver experiences and photo opportunities.

Marketing Lune

Jeff, I hate to admit this, but I think Polly is MADDER THAN ME :no:  :no:  :no:  and that takes some doing, :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: hhahaaaaheeeee

The Mad Bodgit of the Tower :O

• Like 1

Jeff, I hate to admit this, but I think Polly is MADDER THAN ME :no:  :no:  :no:  and that takes some doing, :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: hhahaaaaheeeee

Not a hope. Some good ideas to pay the the 0 gauge version of KL :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I must admit to both of you (Polly/Andy) that I sometimes wonder what the hell you are talking about!!

So I smile and get on with it, and the world continues to turn on its axis!

As for tourism - do you think I'd get one of those little plaques? Or is the only plaque I get the stuff on my teeth!?  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Oh, good, at least I'm not the only one...

Did you manage to get your misbehaving piece of track fixed Jeff?

The offending little beast has been replaced and the PVA is drying out. It looks a much smoother link between the 2 turnouts, so fingers crossed!

I've also wired-up the single slip, but the double slip is left to do. This means that the Down mainline is now fully available for running, as well as the Up.

I've come in for the night - though I may check on the PVA later this evening.

As for some of the unintelligible conversation... I had to laugh the other night when you told Andy & Jason to "dop it" ... I guess you had a cold? I do sometimes wonder whether I speak the native language on here!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not that mad.  My only madness is 00 - though I think about having an 0 gauge layout to run a London Brighton and South Coast Railway Terrier on or maybe that new Beattie Well Tank. :locomotive:  Still working on 'Sir' for that one  .  :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

I must admit to both of you (Polly/Andy) that I sometimes wonder what the hell you are talking about!!

So I smile and get on with it, and the world continues to turn on its axis!

As for tourism - do you think I'd get one of those little plaques? Or is the only plaque I get the stuff on my teeth!?  :O

Jeff

You could make model one, Jeff....

And I wouldn't worry about us Lunesters, Jeff, we're too harmless to cause any bother....

Edit - correcting.

Edited by southern42

That's good progress then Jeff, are you intending to finish the wiring before going back to the hillsides?  Just remember to do those missing sleepers before the tunnel mouth gets fixed in place ;)

A cold?  Yes, I've had one of those for the past week, been deafening people at work with my sneezing most of the week.  I wouldn't complain but it always sets me off coughing, and that hurts!

Not that mad.  My only madness is 00 - though I think about having an 0 gauge layout to run a London Brighton and South Coast Railway Terrier on or maybe that new Beattie Well Tank. :locomotive:  Still working on 'Sir' for that one  .  :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Shhh... Don't mention it to anyone else, but I had been thinking I could do a little shunting plank in 0 with the Dapol 08, or Terrier...  Would make a change from mainline N...  :mosking:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As I said earlier, I've wired up the single slip and now have complete Up and Down lines. I made the fatal mistake - at 10pm - to go and "lock the bunker up" sneeking just a little peek at my handiwork and whether the PVA had dried.

Over 2 hours later I can report that the PVA has just about dried and a couple of locos are very well run-in!! A very satisfying playtime with locos running on both mainlines, the only pain being the need to switch different turnouts individually as I haven't yet connected-up the control panel. Nevermind - best 2 hours for ages!

Michael - I'll finish the wiring of everything currently on the layout - maybe do the Double slip later today. I'll also add-in some of the missing headshunts. And yes, please keep me right with the sleepers. Then I have to think about that valley - a clever re-design has been thought-up to allow access!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Now Jeff, what were you saying about staying up all night playing trains?

Sounds like you really have been enjoying the fruits of your labours.  

Shall look forward to seeing this clever design for the valley!

• RMweb Premium

It is when you dig the rolling stok out of hibernation that the real trouble starts. Watching a few locos run past light engine is one thing but when you start putting all your wagons behind the 9F 'just to see what I will pull', you will become hypnotised, sit back with a cuppa, your slippers on, light up your pipe (if you don't smoke a pipe then you will have to borrow one), say 'ahhhhh, that's grand' and that is the last we will hear from the bunker for 2 hours.

Seriously though, as soon as I got enough of the goods yard laid to enable me to shuffle a few wagons around, I started shunting and was at it for hours. Problem is, you then need to take all the stock off and put it somewhere safe when you want to start modelling again, which becomes a repetitive cycle.

P.s. a good test for track laying that I have found is to propel a couple of long wheelbase Parkside kits through all the turnouts. My LMS CCT is a prime example and when I could consistently propel it through all crossovers in both directions (which took a bit of time and some track adjustments with the soldering iron), I was happy. Still get the odd derailment now (who doesn't) but a lot less than I did with my Code 75 Peco on my old layout.

• RMweb Premium

On that note re: Peco, and especially if you were using Insulfrog before, you will notice that hand built turnouts are far better for electrical conductivity as there are less gaps and the PCB carries the current to all parts of the turnout. The problem area I have where locos stall is on the Peco Electrofrogs in the fiddle yard, even though the switch blades have been hard wired.

• RMweb Gold

Have you added a switch to switch the electrofrogs. Relying on blades contact is not err... reliable.

That could earn me the title of senile lune.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Yep, all that can be done has been done. Part of the problem with them is the relaxed tolerances (and the sleeper spacing, generic looks, flat bottomed rail, stupid spring, crap Peco switch, etc., etc) :)

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see that you chaps are already busy discussing issues. I hate it when it's quiet on here!

I've got the heater on in the bunker and just ran a 25 and the 9F with coaches past each other for a few circuits. I'll be busy doing some Physics tuition for the next 3 hours and then it'll be time to go and wire-up the double slip and a few other electrical bits.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Duncan, I recall watching that video amongst a collection of 9F stuff on YouTube. But it's nice to have it linked here.

No bunker activity yet - I've been busy. Maybe later after I've eaten. Hope you are making progress.

Jeff

Jeff

I'm having a quiet start to the day trying to do some research for my next project. Then I've got some work to do on the kids layout while I have peace and quiet. After that I can continue with Oxted Park. Tomorrow however is fully dedicated to OP.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Right at this moment I feel mentally whacked. Sat in the living room with a cup of coffee - I just can't be bothered to move. Maybe it's the anticlimax after the euphoria of having the mainlines up-and-running.

Must admit, I really enjoyed working late into the night yesterday. Very peaceful and concentration comes easily. Great if you're doing a quiet task - useless if you need a drill or other noise-making bit of kit!!

I think I'll get the double slip wired and running and then have a couple of days working on my "valley floor project". That will be mostly woodwork, which I really enjoy.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Are you goal driven Jeff where you are focussed on the aim or activity driven where you are just enjoying the process?

Don

Don, that's a very good question!

I tend to put my modelling activities into "blocks" and concentrate on a block until it's finished. If it takes too long I switch to another block. Building the subframe took a week, viaducts 7 weeks, laying the track 9 weeks etc. The wiring has gone on for about 3 weeks, which isn't long, but has been intensive. Don't get me wrong, I've quite enjoyed it. I think it's just a sense of relief that, with only minor problems, it all works. I've psyched myself up because I've never been so thorough in building a layout. You know it SHOULD all work, but it's great when it DOES!

Another - much discussed - issue is the effect of the Lunesters. On my previous layout I'd keep things going for 3 months and then have a break for the next 3. Here, it's relentless - in a really good way. The odd break here and there but, overall, you just keep going!!

Btw, you've put a few posts in recently. Are you planning on becoming a Lunester? A degree of insanity IS required!!

Jeff

• Like 1