Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

There are some things which it is feasible to do, given the size of a project. Scratchbuilding the viaduct and station buildings was certainly a good idea. However, there are things that REALLY don't appeal to me at all - and I've much more interesting things to do in the time available.....

So for the loco scratchbuilders of this world, sorry - it will NEVER happen. That's a categorical statement - it doesn't appeal at all whereas other things do. I'm sure it's a delightful activity if that's what you like, but not to me.

Now a bit of trackbuilding for the next project - I like that idea!

So it'll be RTR locos for me, I'm afraid!  :sungum:  :locomotive:

Jeff

Morning Jeff, I am terrible at throwing things away, just look at my 45 year old stock box in the lounge, I hope you have a good few days and chil out a bi now that the graft is done, have some play time and enjoy the fruits of your labours.

I have a feeling that the 8F will be out and about soon!!!!! :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodgit, :sungum: 

P.S. I was up in the night to empty your skip, :O :o :O :o :O

into my den :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy.

I've just been into the bunker to get some tools to continue the demolition. It was 4C in there....brrrrrrrrrrrr....

The 8F and the B17 will be run in during the next few days - so that'll be good, though I hope it's a bit warmer!

Yes, I noticed there were some bits missing from the skip - so I expect to see the gnome's house appear next to Trebudoc station, when I next look!!!!  :O  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've been continuing the demolition of the old layout today - so I've hardly been in the bunker. 95% of the old layout is now gone - the skip is full (it was "full" yesterday, but I've somehow managed to fit more in!)

I'll no doubt have a play with a few locos later. No serious KL work today - I need a break.

Right - settling back to watch a DVD that someone has kindly sent me!

Jeff

I've been continuing the demolition of the old layout today - so I've hardly been in the bunker. 95% of the old layout is now gone - the skip is full (it was "full" yesterday, but I've somehow managed to fit more in!)

I'll no doubt have a play with a few locos later. No serious KL work today - I need a break.

Shocking, truly shocking!  ;)

I'm sure playing with trains will give you a decent break.  I've certainly been enjoying shunting wagons around my little yard, to the point that I stayed up way past my bedtime last night...

• RMweb Premium

Shocking, truly shocking!  ;)

I'm sure playing with trains will give you a decent break.  I've certainly been enjoying shunting wagons around my little yard, to the point that I stayed up way past my bedtime last night...

Now don't be staying up all night to "play trains", young Michael!!

I've got the heater on in the bunker, and a selection of locos to run - when it warms up. A class 8, Black 5 and a 45 to add to what's already in there. I will do a bit more wiring tomorrow.

Jeff

Now don't be staying up all night to "play trains", young Michael!!

I've got the heater on in the bunker, and a selection of locos to run - when it warms up. A class 8, Black 5 and a 45 to add to what's already in there. I will do a bit more wiring tomorrow.

Jeff

But it was fun! :sungum:

First time in ages that I've 'played trains' and haven't got bored in 15 minutes...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I thought  you might enjoy some down time and enjoy a good running mate. :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

Bodgit :sungum:

Just spent an hour running stuff around. All ok except for a short stretch of track connecting turnouts 3 and 4 (where the branch loop meets the up line) which looked slightly the wrong curvature and has proven to be so. The class 8 struggled to cross it. So I'll remove and relay it with a bit more curvature tomorrow.

Nice to see 3 diesels chasing one another but still a good 20' apart.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Just spent an hour running stuff around. All ok except for a short stretch of track connecting turnouts 3 and 4 (where the branch loop meets the up line) which looked slightly the wrong curvature and has proven to be so. The class 8 struggled to cross it. So I'll remove and relay it with a bit more curvature tomorrow.

Nice to see 3 diesels chasing one another but still a good 20' apart.

Jeff

Jeff,

Excellent!  :yes:  It gives me a really good feeling that you have got it working so I can imagine how you feel.  Have I missed something or is it still only one way?

You can now have a running session to break things up between building stone walls, making the staion, building stone walls, building the goods shed, making stone walls, putting the road in place, making stone walls................ :yes:

Hi Jeff,

Just another 'well done' to add to all the others who beat me. Now then I warned you quite some time ago about playing trains and my suspicions have proved correct...tut-tut-tut! Far too easily led astray it would seem but brilliant news all the same.

I also have an old layout to dispose of but I am thinking of ebay rather than skip, time will tell.

Congrat's

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris and Jim.

The full circuit is only one way, but I can run along 98% of the Down (clockwise) line. The only "blip" is the single slip on that section - I just need to get its 2 Cobalts connected to the bus.

I'm a bit annoyed with the short (about 25cm) section of track that's the wrong curve. The turnouts on either side are part of a clear 36" radius arc, including the SMP bit. I must have glued it in position and forgotten to load it down 'til it dried - and the curve has slackened. Nevermind - one of the joys of building these things!

As for stone walls.... by the end of the year I'll probably never want to see another one again!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Just another 'well done' to add to all the others who beat me. Now then I warned you quite some time ago about playing trains and my suspicions have proved correct...tut-tut-tut! Far too easily led astray it would seem but brilliant news all the same.

I also have an old layout to dispose of but I am thinking of ebay rather than skip, time will tell.

Congrat's

Mike

Cheers Mike.

It was nice to run a train or 2 - well, if I'm honest, I had 5 on the same line.... bit like a convoy at one stage with the speed determined by the slowest - the class 8 (the rest: 9F, 45, 25 and Black 5).

My old layout was built into the fabric of the room, so it had to go. Nobody would have wanted it, anyway. It had some good aspects but in the end - as the Midge Ure song goes..."There's no regrets, no tears goodbye.... I don't want you back...." 

Jeff

the skip is full (it was "full" yesterday, but I've somehow managed to fit more in!)

Jeff

Whenever if fill a skip it magically empties itself overnight. Usually takes a few days of filling/emptying before the neighbours loose interest. I don't mind as I get rid of three skip fulls of rubbish for the price of one.

Luney bin man.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whenever if fill a skip it magically empties itself overnight. Usually takes a few days of filling/emptying before the neighbours loose interest. I don't mind as I get rid of three skip fulls of rubbish for the price of one.

Luney bin man.

Hi Ray.

I can see that you and Polly are a good match - same sense of humour!!

Bodgit (aka Old Lune, aka Andy) threatened to come and raid my skip.... I only wish he lived nearer - for the reasons you've given!

This sad edifice is all that's left of the old layout... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :yahoo:

post-13778-0-84863600-1362085376_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Hi Jeff thanks for the PM. I am looking forward to whatever I get.

I hope you find good use for that lovelly warm looking room in the future, whatever scale / gauge you end up putting up there.

Now did you say thet there was another spare bedroom? :no:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff thanks for the PM. I am looking forward to whatever I get.

I hope you find good use for that lovelly warm looking room in the future, whatever scale / gauge you end up putting up there.

Now did you say thet there was another spare bedroom? :no:

Evening Andy.

The old layout room is being re-civilised back to a bedroom. And I might actually leave it like that as it IS warm and south facing. There is another spare bedroom which is larger. It's north facing and houses most of the display cabinets that house my locos. It would make an ideal location for a shelf-shunting layout, should the desire arise!

I'll post your package tomorrow. I think you'll enjoy what's in it. Ha ha hee hee!!!! :O  :beee:

Jeff

It was nice to run a train or 2 - well, if I'm honest, I had 5 on the same line.... bit like a convoy at one stage with the speed determined by the slowest - the class 8 (the rest: 9F, 45, 25 and Black 5).

Jeff

You should have utilised the run round loop.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

You should have utilised the run round loop.

Duncan

Funny you say that - I did, as a tester as there's more points in the branch loop and therefore more of a challenge, especially at speed.

Eventually the "hand of God" intervened and the class 8 was unceremoniously dumped back in the fiddle yard!!

Well, come on...this IS a hobby - we can't be serious ALL the time!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jeff, It's after 12 noon and no posts so far today, what's going on? Are the Lunesters showing their handiwork at shows this weekend and are busy packing up their vans and trailers? Good to see that room clear and that with Andy's help managed to get everything in the skip. I demolished a large shed the other week but he's not been round here to salvage some of the timber, so I'll just have to get somebody to take it away.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jonathan. 

Yes, it's a bit unusual - no posts from anyone on here today. I've had a visitor and I'm about to go into the bunker to sort out that bit of track I mentioned in earlier posts.

My visitor was keen to see some locos running round, but was more impressed by Lune Fell and the valley - none of it was there last time they looked - in December.

Hopefully things will pick up later...

Jeff

Hi Jeff, remember playing running trains is not a time waisting exersise, :no:  you get relaxation :drag: and time to plan different aspect of the Station, Hills, Valleys etc. :paint:  so it is NOT WAISTED, :no:  :no:  go on have a play :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: , thats waht you bought them for. :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, remember playing running trains is not a time waisting exersise, :no:  you get relaxation :drag: and time to plan different aspect of the Station, Hills, Valleys etc. :paint:  so it is NOT WAISTED, :no:  :no:  go on have a play :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: , thats waht you bought them for. :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

What you say is absolutely correct, Andy.

Even talking to my friend - who knows nothing about railway modelling, but who asks relevant questions - has made me think about a few things. I'll do a few jobs and - if successful - reward myself with the sight of the Black 5 chasing the 9F!!

Jeff