Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I thought you were a BAAAAAALOOOOON :O      BANG :no:    Anyone got the Mint Sauce? :nono: :boast: :boast: :boast: :boast: :boast: :boast:

Went down with the shepherd's pie  :nyam: :nyam: :nyam: :nyam: :nyam: :nyam: :nyam: :nyam:

• RMweb Premium

Work has finished in the bunker for this evening.

The switch combinations for the Cobalts connected to the single and double slip have been sorted and all permutations tested successfully.

Think I'll give the wiring a break now. Aside from a couple of sidings and 3-4 headshunts, all is complete. Loco evacuation from the bunker tomorrow morning.

Lune Valley, here I come....

Jeff

Out of interest, I have had the dubious pleasure of a night out in Kirkby Stephen, whilst doing the Coast To Coast a couple of years ago. It was a Monday when we stayed there but the pubs were packed and the atmosphere was..... Keep your head down is the best way I can describe it. We had cycled off-road from Ambleside that day and to say that we missed the warm environment of the Royal Oak in Ambleside is understatement of the century!

We all vowed that if we were ever mad enough to do the C2C again, we would turn west at the top of Gatescarth Pass and head back to St Bees :)

And yet the Ambleside over here is famously mentioned in a song

:)  (SotW is a great band, John Mann the lead singer is a fine gentleman...)

James

Hi Jeff,

Only ten pages late but that video of the 9f passing over the viaduct is great. Looks like it wont be long before we can see trains passing.

Not much modelling going on here as we are still getting days of 30+ and its our Autumn now.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Peter (evening for you!),

Glad you enjoyed the 9F..... All the lines are now up-and-running. I'm planning to get back to some scenic work on the valley area around the viaduct so it shouldn't be long before my cameraman can come and take a video of a slightly more realistic setting.

Progress is being made. 

Enjoy your 30+C temperatures. The UK reached 10C over the weekend for the first time in weeks!!

Cheers,

Jeff

Just to chip in on the subject of wiring for DC Vs wiring for DCC:

Assuming you are using hand built track, or are modifying RTR points and wiring them the same as hand built ones, then the oly difference between DC & DCC is the number of wires running back to the control panel.

With DCC you tend to have a large number of droppers running back to the bus from each section, meaning only the track bus goes back to the panel. On a DC layout each of these section feeds would run back to the control panel and it's associated switch (on Stockburn Junction the main panel has 26 section switches ( there are another four panels as well, including the fiddle yards, each having its compliment of section switches)).

Basically, same number of wires just a different termination point for them, and less time under the boards with an AVO at an exhibition when it suddenly goes t*ts up and the only part of the entire layout that is working is a two foot headshunt !!!

• RMweb Gold

I assume you use less wire for a DCC layout as you only need short lengths from track to bus wires whereas with DC you have to have lengths of wire going from the panel to the far side of the layout for each section feed? So while the number of wires may be a similar, the total length of wire used is less? (Am seriously considering DCC for new layout and trying to justify cost to future SWMBO)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

It's been a while (8 months??) but I'm back to see how your railway is coming along. I had no idea I'd been away for so long and I've missed so much. Tried to read back about 10 pages but in the end I only looked at the photos! Looking really great though, the layout has a LOT of promise already. Hope to see more photos soon (particularly above baseboard as I feel I've missed a lot. The viaduct looks spectacular, don't think I'l get near that standard!

All the best,

Jam

• RMweb Premium

I assume you use less wire for a DCC layout as you only need short lengths from track to bus wires whereas with DC you have to have lengths of wire going from the panel to the far side of the layout for each section feed? So while the number of wires may be a similar, the total length of wire used is less? (Am seriously considering DCC for new layout and trying to justify cost to future SWMBO)

The whole DC/DCC discussion is fraught with difficulties. Even if the discussion is ONLY centred around the wiring, it's often taken as a criticism of the DC or DCC system being used.

Personally, I think the amount of wiring can be substantial for both systems. The wire itself is relatively cheap, the time consuming bit being all the cutting to length, soldering etc.

If we accept that people can be happy with both systems, and let them choose which they prefer, it's a starting point. Even then, a DCC discussion often compartmentalises into which DCC system is best - and it's NOT always the case that more expensive means best - it depends how you feel about it and if it does what you want.

I've spent a fair bit of money on the building materials for KL - principally for the garage conversion and then the track. I already had the Lenz system, which I've continued to use. But by far the biggest investment has been in my loco stock.

So, Jonathan, if the future SWMBO is a supporter of your layout, the loco cost will be 80+% the same for DC or DCC, taking account the decoder cost. Given that time, wiring, track etc will be the same for both systems, the extra cost - should you decide to go DCC - will be relatively modest in comparison with your other outlay.

I would want to feel comfortable with the control system, so if you want DCC then you should be able to justify it.

Jeff

ps. Put a DCC system on your wedding list!!

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

It's been a while (8 months??) but I'm back to see how your railway is coming along. I had no idea I'd been away for so long and I've missed so much. Tried to read back about 10 pages but in the end I only looked at the photos! Looking really great though, the layout has a LOT of promise already. Hope to see more photos soon (particularly above baseboard as I feel I've missed a lot. The viaduct looks spectacular, don't think I'l get near that standard!

All the best,

Jam

Jam, it's great to hear from you. It probably is more than 6 months. I think you were into your uni holidays the last time we exchanged ideas!

A hell of a lot has happened since then - nearly 200 pages of it on here! An entire community - the Lunesters - has sprung up and it's down to their encouragement that so much work has been done. There are around 10 - 15 very active Lunesters with layouts, kitbuilding and other projects on the go. And a lot of banter/fun.

If you want to find something specific, have a look at the index in post #1.

I hope you are still working on "The Old Road" - I think you'd built a model pub last time I looked.

I've just hit a quiet patch, having spent the last 3 weeks connecting-in the track bus and soldering/testing all the track/turnout droppers. More scenic work should follow for a couple of weeks. Keep watching this space and please join in!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, I was not wanting to start a DCC vs DC debate, you make your choice and pays yer money to mis-quote the saying.

I like the idea of not having to isolate locos while another one moves somewhere else on the layout and having all those section switches. I also like the idea of the engines going chuff-chuff without me having to do it for them. So I guess I'm sold on DCC for the new layout.

As to stock I have 1 x Duchess, Princess, Scot, Jub, Fowler 4P tank, Stanier 4P tank, Ivatt 4P tank, 2P, 8f, Super D, Black 5, 4F, Ivatt 4F, Ivatt 2F, Midland 2F, Jinty, and 2 x Baby Scot, Crab, Compound, Midland 3f. So I guess I have enough to start, even though some of those listed will only run under Rule 1. Just need to chip and hopefully sound them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I was not wanting to start a DCC vs DC debate, you make your choice and pays yer money to mis-quote the saying.

I like the idea of not having to isolate locos while another one moves somewhere else on the layout and having all those section switches. I also like the idea of the engines going chuff-chuff without me having to do it for them. So I guess I'm sold on DCC for the new layout.

As to stock I have 1 x Duchess, Princess, Scot, Jub, Fowler 4P tank, Stanier 4P tank, Ivatt 4P tank, 2P, 8f, Super D, Black 5, 4F, Ivatt 4F, Ivatt 2F, Midland 2F, Jinty, and 2 x Baby Scot, Crab, Compound, Midland 3f. So I guess I have enough to start, even though some of those listed will only run under Rule 1. Just need to chip and hopefully sound them.

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry, wasn't inferring that you were. Just wanted to put forward some ideas to let you justify any future spending to SWMBO.....

With the value of the stock you have, you've already done most of the hard (financial) work!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Blimey Jonathan, you need to stretch Rule 1 for some of those :no:.

As part of my research for my layout I've been looking at what the loco allocations were for 17D and 9D as they will be the majority of traffic on my chosen line, I was quite surprised.

The overwhelming majority of locos at Rowsley were Johnson 3Fs and Jintys, with a scattering of Compounds and Crabs and some older Johnson 2Fs, and not forgetting the Saddle tanks for the Cromford and High Peak.

Buxton had a lot of 8Fs and 4Fs, and a scattering of others, including G2As, Compounds, Crabs... but no Black fives that I could find, which surprised me.

As long as you have decent gauges, soldering iron, solder and flux, it's actually pretty easy Mike. If I can do it, anyone can; I wouldn't have considered building my own turnouts two years ago but now, I wouldn't consider anything else. In the long run, if you make your own crossing vees rather than buying ready made ones, it works out cheaper, bullhead rail looks better for the period we are modelling and the ability to build turnouts that go where you want rather than dictating where you place things far outweighs Peco, etc.

I honestly think that Bacup would look crap and convoluted with Peco, especially around the station throat.

I would recommend looking up Brian Harrap's thread on track building as it is possibly the best and most helpful I have seen to date.

Hi Jason,

Many thanks for that, the more I think about it the more I believe its the way to go. Will have a look at Brian Harrap thread and ponder........

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Just had an hour of fun.

I wired up another 2 turnouts to the control panel then ran a class 45 through as many points as I could, round and round, backwards and forwards. Just stood in one place, next to the mimic/control panel, throwing the switches. 

In a one hour period I only had 2 switches not "fire" properly - needing a couple more volts to change (Cobalts run on about 9 - 14V usually. I'm switching them at 7V as the slow-motion is nicer - and MOST don't have any trouble. The 2 that did needed a kick to 9V!) I DID make a couple of route mistakes - sending the 45 off down a headshunt that doesn't yet exist. But excellent fun.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Be careful Jeff or you'll be removed from the Top Link and confined to shunting duties.....

That could be dangerous, Jeff might find another one that doesn't exist yet. Or is it to ensure that he only runs on the main line?

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Be careful Jeff or you'll be removed from the Top Link and confined to shunting duties.....

It'll be ok, Peter. Maybe I was thinking ahead of myself as I've decided to fix the headshunts in place tomorrow.

Of course, it will need a bit more of our favourite subject - wiring. But what's another half-dozen droppers between friends!

I only wish there was something I could photograph to liven the thread up. When I start on the valley...

Jeff

It'll be ok, Peter. Maybe I was thinking ahead of myself as I've decided to fix the headshunts in place tomorrow.

Of course, it will need a bit more of our favourite subject - wiring. But what's another half-dozen droppers between friends!

I only wish there was something I could photograph to liven the thread up. When I start on the valley...

Jeff

Jeff,

How about the NEW droppers, hhaheheheeeee :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

How about the NEW droppers, hhaheheheeeee :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodgit :sungum:

Not a bad idea - after I've painted them in fluorescent colours!!

I think any more photos of wire will have people throwing things at their computer screens!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A cold start to the day in slightly misty TS17. Heater is on in the bunker.

Hopefully, things will get easier from next week as I'm having an internal door fitted in the bunker. This should make an enormous difference to the rate of heating-up, heat retention and sound-proofing. The door would have been a hindrance earlier, with all the wood, ply, materials going in and out - though there were times when I wished it'd been there to help keep me warm!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I have been lurking on the sidelines for months enthralled by the percentage completion figure.  It's become like a long running computer download for me, so very pleased we are almost at the install stage.  Looking forward to seeing some stock run....

Congratulations on staying the course.  Your stamina must be off the scale!

Hopefully seeing the outcome of your efforts may just kickstart me into getting started again after a three month break.  It done wonders for my golf, but nothing for ET...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gordon, I'm sure all Lunesters are pleased to hear from you, I was wondering when that golf was going to be out of your system. Still a change is as good as a rest they say. I'm one who is still holding my breath for progress on ET.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I have been lurking on the sidelines for months enthralled by the percentage completion figure.  It's become like a long running computer download for me, so very pleased we are almost at the install stage.  Looking forward to seeing some stock run....

Congratulations on staying the course.  Your stamina must be off the scale!

Hopefully seeing the outcome of your efforts may just kickstart me into getting started again after a three month break.  It done wonders for my golf, but nothing for ET...

Hi Gordon, really good to hear from you after quite a break....I think that's your first post here since Christmas.

I'm sure your break will have done you the world of good. I had a small "dip" over Christmas but since then, completing the fiddle yard track, building some of the Lune Fell hillside and valley, then finally wiring up to the track bus has all kept me going.

Now I have locos running over all the track (just for fun/testing) makes it all seem worthwhile!

My "continuity" is very much due to the guys on here. If you were a Lunester you'd feel the same. The mutual encouragement gives you the urge to go and do something. If looking at this thread in any way helps you to re-commence ET then I'm delighted.

Keep the posts coming and we'll all be checking ET for future progress!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• Like 1