Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gordon, I'm sure all Lunesters are pleased to hear from you, I was wondering when that golf was going to be out of your system. Still a change is as good as a rest they say. I'm one who is still holding my breath for progress on ET.

Well said, Jonathan. After all the phenomenal trackwork Gordon has done, it'll be fantastic to see him move onto the next stage.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've wired up another 3 Cobalts to the control panel. There are now 7 fiddle yard turnouts directly operable - so I can trial my "Top Link" Russian roulette switching service on the 45 later tonight!

I've also run out of the blue and the yellow wire that I use for the job, so more will have to be ordered. I guess I may eventually do some woodwork tomorrow - you know, the job I planned to start yesterday!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Are we going to have one of those Hare and Tortoise things where we edge closer and closer to wiring 100% complete but never seeming to get there whereas it just the updates getting quicker and quicker dy/dx and all that palaver.

Don't expect DCC to save a lot on wire as they are short runs to the bus bar DCC users tend to put more droppers in the bus is there anyway and you don't need extra switches. Anywhere can act as an isolating section as it is the loco that is isolated. Route setting is just about points and signals, no messing with section switches.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Are we going to have one of those Hare and Tortoise things where we edge closer and closer to wiring 100% complete but never seeming to get there whereas it just the updates getting quicker and quicker dy/dx and all that palaver.

Don't expect DCC to save a lot on wire as they are short runs to the bus bar DCC users tend to put more droppers in the bus is there anyway and you don't need extra switches. Anywhere can act as an isolating section as it is the loco that is isolated. Route setting is just about points and signals, no messing with section switches.

Don

Very perceptive comment, Don. The missing 2% is for the headshunts and a couple of sidings - and they aren't even on the layout yet. So we're stuck at 98% for the foreseeable future. And I'll change the title shortly anyway as I move into the valley!

I've been out all evening - just got home. May go out and connect up another couple of turnouts - IF I can find any blue/yellow wire .... I think I have spare reels somewhere!

As you know, the layout NEVER gets finished anyway. So the Completion-Time graph approaches 100% asymptotically, with d(Completion)/dt tending to zero!!

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Jeff, I have just come in from club and seen the new heading,

Is that supposed to read, "Into the Valley of Kings" by any chance. :no:

Now I am off to read the last few pages and catch up..

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I have just come in from club and seen the new heading,

Is that supposed to read, "Into the Valley of Kings" by any chance. :no:

Now I am off to read the last few pages and catch up..

Bodgit :sungum:

No Kings on my layout, Andy. Wrong area of the country!

I'm going to sort out the valley sides and embankments over the next week or so. I have a project that's part of this that will make my life a lot easier in the future - if I can build it properly. You'll all find out in a week or so's time...

In the meantime, I've just found my "spare" wire doesn't exist, so I'll have to order some more - so I can switch a few remaining turnouts from the panel. And it's woodwork tomorrow - which I love...

Jeff

Viaducts to the left of him, embankments to the right, into the Valley of Lune sawed Master Jeff!

It's always annoying when you run out of the right colour of wire.  

Looking forward to seeing what you make in the valley Jeff.

• RMweb Premium

I'm going to guess at that lovely packhorse bridge I challenged him to make, ooh, a hundred pages ago :)

I'll second that. Could be wrong but I don't care :sungum:  :jester:

No, both wrong. The work in the valley is of a functional nature and is going to be a fairly big job. It has to be done accurately if it's to look ok.

That's all I'm going to say until the work is done.

Just come in from the bunker after another testing session. Everything seems ok, but you can bet it will go wrong when Al comes round on Friday!!

A 100m reel of yellow and a 100m reel of blue wire ordered. Hopefully here by Thursday.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Into the valley of the Lunes sounds about right. As to what he is going to make in the valley, he will be making water obviously. :nono:  If you are going  to use one of those mix and pour products for the water it must be level (yes I know rivers have a fall) or its dry bed at one end  and floods at the other.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Morning folks.

There WILL be a packhorse bridge in the future and there certainly will be "water". I use "Realistic Water" from Woodland Scenics - a gel product, applied in layers.

A lot to do before we get to any kind of detailing stage, though.

Anyway, it's coffee time followed by some deep furrowing of the forehead as I think of the most straightforward approach to my valley project.

And I'll run a few more locos later, methinks. all work and no play makes Jeff a poorer modeller.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

If you let us know what it is Jeff, we could maybe offer our thoughts? That's what we are here for (other than to gobshite all day ;) )

Hee hee. This is going to be another of Jeff's secret projects, so you'll have to wait and see!

I've just drawn out a plan as to how I'm going to build it. I'm not bad at woodwork, but if this works out I'll be totally delighted. The idea follows a discussion a couple of weeks ago with Al - of course. Put the two of us together and I invariably end up with a string of ideas to keep me going for months.

I'm off into the bunker in a few minutes to start assessing resources! If all goes well, it could be built by the weekend.....

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, what's Jeff up to now? I think he just tries to keep us in suspense so that that we keep coming back here for our hourly, daily, or weekly fix. Could it be that Andy is going to get some grass? No, I doubt it.

I hope "they" get the rubber band replaced and wound-up some time soon, it's taking all my breaks to look at things on here today.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Time for another coffee break. Things are going very well at the moment - touch wood (pun intended!!)

It's taking a lot less time than I'd assumed, so maybe you'll find out what I've been doing tomorrow. I've taken some photos so at least the thread will look prettier, even if you're unimpressed!!

Jeff

Well knowing Jeff and his woodworking - solid 4x2 stuff - it can't be anything delicate like a small bridge so maybe it's a viewing platform for some aerial shots of the viaduct on the next video :jester:

Apart from that I haven't a clue so I will just have to wait patiently.

Is it tomorrow yet? :nono:

Bu99er!!

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Well knowing Jeff and his woodworking - solid 4x2 stuff - it can't be anything delicate like a small bridge so maybe it's a viewing platform for some aerial shots of the viaduct on the next video :jester:

Apart from that I haven't a clue so I will just have to wait patiently.

Is it tomorrow yet? :nono:

Bu99er!!

Jim

I hadn't thought of that! Cheers Jim, I'll work on that one!!

Plywood cut - but NO 4 x 2 on this one.... Drill re-charging, loads of PVA ready .... Have you guessed yet?

Just having a short break to see what you lot have been upto.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I have been lurking on the sidelines for months enthralled by the percentage completion figure.  It's become like a long running computer download for me, so very pleased we are almost at the install stage.  Looking forward to seeing some stock run....

Congratulations on staying the course.  Your stamina must be off the scale!

Hopefully seeing the outcome of your efforts may just kickstart me into getting started again after a three month break.  It done wonders for my golf, but nothing for ET...

You and me both, Gordon. 

My modelling mojo had completely stalled for about six months.  Some will be aware that I'm easing myself back in with a decent size kit build project of six Sturgeon. 

Hopefully, along with better (warmer) weather, I'll migrate more regularly back into the garage too...

• RMweb Gold

I think Jeff is doing something to his valley so that he can gain access to the bits that he blocked off with his permanently fixed back scene.

It's either that, or something else.

• RMweb Premium

I think Jeff is doing something to his valley so that he can gain access to the bits that he blocked off with his permanently fixed back scene.

It's either that, or something else.

Well done Chris - that's exactly what I'm doing. Hopefully I can show some kind of result by tomorrow. 

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You and me both, Gordon. 

My modelling mojo had completely stalled for about six months.  Some will be aware that I'm easing myself back in with a decent size kit build project of six Sturgeon. 

Hopefully, along with better (warmer) weather, I'll migrate more regularly back into the garage too...

I was wondering where you'd got to! I know you had the chest infection around Christmas time, but you've been very noticeable by your absence from the Forum in general.

I hope you are feeling recharged. Looking forward to hearing of your progress and receiving some more of your perceptive comments!

All the best 'Chard,

Jeff

Hi Jeff and GANG, I have had a busy 48 hours and I feel I have missed loads, I intended to have a good read through all the Lunester pages last night and only got as far the last couple of pages on here before I was nodding off.

ALSO

I hink dat ason has iven e is old as I am al ungd up an canf breeve/

Notty konk Bodgit

• Like 1