Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, If I had know you were up so late I would have got you to give me an earlly morning call. hhahahheeeeheeeee.

I still need to see the above video so I should catch up on that tomorrow.

Great bunch of posts and a NEW Lunester I see, :declare: :declare: :declare: :declare:

Looking forward to greeting my Postie in the morning, hhaheheee, will it be a Duchess, or an A4, I will have to wait and see. heehehee

Bodgit :sungum:

Andy - it may well include an A4. A sheet of paper, that is!!

I've been wiring in the bunker. Only realised it was getting late when my stomach started demanding food! Another late night tonight, I think. Double slip all wired-in, just need to work out the switch combinations for the different directions.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest, I have had the dubious pleasure of a night out in Kirkby Stephen, whilst doing the Coast To Coast a couple of years ago. It was a Monday when we stayed there but the pubs were packed and the atmosphere was..... Keep your head down is the best way I can describe it. We had cycled off-road from Ambleside that day and to say that we missed the warm environment of the Royal Oak in Ambleside is understatement of the century!

We all vowed that if we were ever mad enough to do the C2C again, we would turn west at the top of Gatescarth Pass and head back to St Bees :)

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Those sheep look too clean. I've also never seen two collies with exactly the same markings. One of the layouts from the weekend by any chance?

Duncan

Duncan, it's "Kirkby Stephen West" by Ian Macdonald and the Huddersfield MRC. It's featured a couple of times in RM and once in Hornby over the last ten years. Great layout.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest, I have had the dubious pleasure of a night out in Kirkby Stephen, whilst doing the Coast To Coast a couple of years ago. It was a Monday when we stayed there but the pubs were packed and the atmosphere was..... Keep your head down is the best way I can describe it. We had cycled off-road from Ambleside that day and to say that we missed the warm environment of the Royal Oak in Ambleside is understatement of the century!

We all vowed that if we were ever mad enough to do the C2C again, we would turn west at the top of Gatescarth Pass and head back to St Bees :)

KS is a funny place. In the middle of nowhere, wants a bypass but relies on the through traffic for trade. A couple of the pubs do some very nice food, though. 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, 

Yes, it was, having been out walking all day yesterday I was in bed by 8 and asleep by 9, so 6 was about right for waking up.  That I hadn't reset the alarm after yesterday's 5:30am wake-up was purely incidental  :O

The chemical plant is currently planned out at 12ft by 2ft - which is the largest I can comfortably work on in the railway room.  The fact the room is currently missing a wall, and there is 28ft between opposite walls is not to be considered... :nono:

Any future shunting/shelf layout I build will be comparable - maybe 10' x 2'. It's a sensible size and allows a lot of detail to be completed in a sensible amount of time. Idiots that build layouts that are 16' x 12' (or bigger) get what they deserve!! (oops, does that include "lil old me"??!  :O  :O )

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Catching up yet again..... Goodness gracious me, you are progressing well whilst I am the complete opposite - absolutely nothing done again (blaming er'indoors, its like living on the Forth bridge in this house - rant over) Will get back to it soon, never even got round to casting the stone walls which I said I would try for you.

However I picked up on Jason's comments re:Peco and I can only agree that its a bit 50/50 whether you get a good enough contact, I have certainly suffered the Peco drawbacks for more years than I care to remember and I don't think it will ever change as they are still in the 'dark ages' when it comes to progress. As I am starting from scratch and using C&L for the scenic trackwork I may just have a bash at handbuilt points for the fiddleyard, both will be a FIRST attempt so will have to wait and see the results re: good or bad!!

Keep it up Jeff.

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

As long as you have decent gauges, soldering iron, solder and flux, it's actually pretty easy Mike. If I can do it, anyone can; I wouldn't have considered building my own turnouts two years ago but now, I wouldn't consider anything else. In the long run, if you make your own crossing vees rather than buying ready made ones, it works out cheaper, bullhead rail looks better for the period we are modelling and the ability to build turnouts that go where you want rather than dictating where you place things far outweighs Peco, etc.

I honestly think that Bacup would look crap and convoluted with Peco, especially around the station throat.

I would recommend looking up Brian Harrap's thread on track building as it is possibly the best and most helpful I have seen to date.

Duncan, it's "Kirkby Stephen West" by Ian Macdonald and the Huddersfield MRC. It's featured a couple of times in RM and once in Hornby over the last ten years. Great layout.

Jeff

It's got to be one of the few I've missed. Although it doesn't help that I've only been reading the mags for the last three years

• RMweb Premium

Dare I say it, but to me the ultimate S&C layout to date has to be Blea Moor in 4mm, which appeared in MRJ a few times (can get you issue numbers tomorrow if you want to chase down back issues). KS has been in a few of the mags and is fantastic, I think it was in Hornby Mag a while ago.

• RMweb Premium

For everybody's reference: KSW's latest appearances...

Hornby Mag issue 5 November 2007 p.48

RM November 2012 p. 970

Ian sent me all his research, exhibition photos and the photoshoot pictures from the 2003ish RM article and Mike Wild's Hornby shoot. Great guy, great layout.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just a simple question Jeff.

Is the amount of wiring on KL allied to the fact that it's DCC or is it mostly to do with the amount of electric point motors you have?

Or is it a combination of both?

Peter

I'll try and give you an answer to your "simple" question, Peter.

First, it would have been possible to build KL with a lot less wiring. If I'd relied on the conductivity of the fishplate connections I could have done away with, maybe, 80 of the 100 pairs of track droppers. Also, if I'd relied on blade contact between blade and stock rails, instead of electrically bonding them for guaranteed continuity, I could have saved another 40 pairs of droppers - 1 pair per point. Total saved so far = 120 pairs of droppers.

However, DC or DCC, all of these connections are essential for long term electrical efficiency. So the mass of wiring is NOT a function of DCC - just a set of sensible precautions. As Kenton is so fond of saying - get it right now, don't worry later. And I totally agree with him.

I could have built this layout with less than half the wiring, but when things went wrong I'd have regretted it.

Hope that answers your question.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I will post the bit of Video footage from Kirkby Stephen West in the Lounge soon.

Andy :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

Looking forward to it Andy. I've seen lots of photos of it, but never a video. Thanks very much. The main station layout is the same a KL - except I've added the branch and, with the extra length, KSW has avoided a bit of the compression that I had to include.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jeff.

Very comprehensive answer and now I understand your approach to this.

Regards,

Peter

Peter, there are a few threads on the Forum relating to DC vs DCC, wiring Electrofrogs etc and they all go for a bit of DCC bashing on the grounds of wiring. Experts far more experienced in modelling than me make the point that wiring turnouts is the SAME for DC and DCC - if done properly. It's often assumed that all the extra droppers are a consequence of DCC. They are not.

I never bothered about any of this previously and wondered what all the fuss was about. It's perfectly possible to use less droppers and not link stock and blade rails. If you're lucky the layout might work perfectly for years. But, having read what people on here had to say, I thought it sensible to follow their advice and minimise the potential for problems from the start.

Some would call it overkill. If they want to take their chances, fine. I didn't. That's not to say that I won't have problems!!

I'm glad you asked the question. Wiring of turnouts and track should be done thoroughly in my opinion. Sorry, not trying to rant.

If anyone disagrees, feel free to comment.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Jeff

I totaly agree with you about the wiring especialy with the size of KL. The mantra 'if it's worth doing it's worth doing it well (properly)' should apply to all layouts. That way more time can be spent using the layout than trying to find out where problems have acome from.

Duncan

• Like 1

Peter, there are a few threads on the Forum relating to DC vs DCC, wiring Electrofrogs etc and they all go for a bit of DCC bashing on the grounds of wiring. Experts far more experienced in modelling than me make the point that wiring turnouts is the SAME for DC and DCC - if done properly. It's often assumed that all the extra droppers are a consequence of DCC. They are not.

I never bothered about any of this previously and wondered what all the fuss was about. It's perfectly possible to use less droppers and not link stock and blade rails. If you're lucky the layout might work perfectly for years. But, having read what people on here had to say, I thought it sensible to follow their advice and minimise the potential for problems from the start.

Some would call it overkill. If they want to take their chances, fine. I didn't. That's not to say that I won't have problems!!

I'm glad you asked the question. Wiring of turnouts and track should be done thoroughly in my opinion. Sorry, not trying to rant.

If anyone disagrees, feel free to comment.

Jeff

Spot on Boss :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Those sheep look too clean. I've also never seen two collies with exactly the same markings. One of the layouts from the weekend by any chance?

Duncan

The state of sheep on Settle and Carlisle route?

Doesn't look too dirty to me - so straight out of the packet for your 2000, Jeff.  :mosking:

I do like your one-man-and-his-dogs pics, Andy. 

But if anyone wants to 'dirty up' their sheep, weather their undersides muddy brown, brushing in upward direction fading out as you go as you would for the base of a building. Then there could be twigs or barbed wire trapped in their wool or wool peeling off their bodies and looking right raggedy. 

Then, if you are so inclined, finish off with some branding or a literary/quantum physics device

Now, tell me you've done all that. :jester: :jester: :jester:

BahLune

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

The state of sheep on Settle and Carlisle route?

Doesn't look too dirty to me - so straight out of the packet for your 2000, Jeff.  :mosking:

I do like your one-man-and-his-dogs pics, Andy. 

But if anyone wants to 'dirty up' their sheep, weather their undersides muddy brown, brushing in upward direction fading out as you go as you would for the base of a building. Then there could be twigs or barbed wire trapped in their wool or wool peeling off their bodies and looking right raggedy. 

Then, if you are so inclined, finish off with some branding or a literary/quantum physics device

Now, tell me you've done all that. :jester: :jester: :jester:

BahLune

You could even add WELLIES to their back legs :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Polly you have missed the bits stuck in their wool round the backside. Some sheep look a lot worse for wear particularly in the Forest of Dean where they roam freely.

I enjoy trackwork and building points. Wiring droppers as you go makes it easy. With DCC all the droppers go to either of the two bus wires or a turnout switch. They do not have to run back to a control panel full of sections switches makes a big difference.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Polly you have missed the bits stuck in their wool round the backside. Some sheep look a lot worse for wear particularly in the Forest of Dean where they roam freely.

Don

Doh....!