Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

On one layout I used ply and cardboard supports with screwed up newspaper in between. Then laid layers of newspaper over it using dilute pva. Once I did enough and it dried it was quite self supporting.

Don

Thanks Al. I think I've noticed your comments to Jonathan (Rowsley 17D) re. his planned layout.

But you're very welcome here!

Thanks for the comments. The viaduct seems an age ago - it was last July/August. The branch viaduct I built at the same time is tucked away safely under the baseboards. I wish I had an excuse/place to build a larger one, as it was great fun.

I love the landscape aspect of railway modelling. Variation in height is so integral to my beloved S&C that I had to chuck in the valley/fell elements. And a viaduct to bridge the gap.

Progress has been pleasing. Feel free to chip in - if you're really crazy you may end up becoming a Lunester!!

Jeff

Al

I have to agree with Jeff. So much knowledge and encouragement comes from this small band of Lunesters.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Good grief, no.  Just an eggstra Lunester.

Jeff, you're doing an eggsellent job there.  You'll soon be running your eggspresses through eggsquisite scenery.

Eggsited Lune :locomotive:

Edit.  Couldn't resist just one smiley

Polly - appalling humour! Made me laugh!!  :O  :sungum:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hello folks,

Unfortuantely I lost my recordings from yesterday, but have searched the web and managed to find a suitable replacement...

Al.

Well done Al - even if you didn't edit in the "night-time" view. Excellent background sound - very Pathe News!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Polly - appalling humour! Made me laugh!!  :O  :sungum:

Jeff

Appalling humour.  Eggsactly and only three weeks to Easter (eggs).

• RMweb Premium

Polly

I believe that you are eggstatic after the rugby today :jester:

:D  Not bad, eh? But more of a cricket fan....or just plain eggsercise. :training:

• RMweb Premium

Getting back to KL, just come in from the bunker. I'm rewiring the links to the turnout control panel so I can fix it to the subframe - hopefully later today (or tomorrow).

I've actually found a turnout that isn't wired-in at all, so that will have to be done. Along with preparing the valley for a bit more plaster bandage (when it arrives), those should keep me busy. If I'm really forced to, I might have to run a loco or two!

Jeff

Getting back to KL, just come in from the bunker. I'm rewiring the links to the turnout control panel so I can fix it to the subframe - hopefully later today (or tomorrow).

I've actually found a turnout that isn't wired-in at all, so that will have to be done. Along with preparing the valley for a bit more plaster bandage (when it arrives), those should keep me busy. If I'm really forced to, I might have to run a loco or two!

Jeff

With all the planning that's gone into KL, I'm surprised that you've missed one

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

You should really run a loco with a couple of wagons through every turnout before getting to far with the scenics. Proper testing may seem a bit tedious but spoiling scenics because you need to rip a bit of track up is not a lot of fun.

Don

Which issue of BRM was the article in, Andy?

God Morning Young Jeff, It is in the current issue with the DVD enclosed, I have seen it but my copy that was ordered with the FREE LOCO has not arrived yet even though the Loco has, they say the Mag could take 28 days.

Have a good day and I will pop back in tonight to catch up.

Bodgit :sungum:

Hello folks,

Unfortuantely I lost my recordings from yesterday, but have searched the web and managed to find a suitable replacement...

Thanks Al One, 

A great bit of video, you don't look at the fact that the scenery is not there you just focus on the train, Absolutely Brilliant.

Bodgit :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: well worth five out of five smilieys

• RMweb Premium

Well, Al.  The video.

I watched it in silent mode first because we had the tv on.  :good:

I watched it again with sound ON and wow - that was BRILLIANT.  :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Nice one. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

• RMweb Premium

You should really run a loco with a couple of wagons through every turnout before getting to far with the scenics. Proper testing may seem a bit tedious but spoiling scenics because you need to rip a bit of track up is not a lot of fun.

Don

Interesting comment, Don. I spent a lot of last week doing this - with coaches and wagons. Different locos, different directions, different combinations.

It did highlight a few issues and was fun!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Good to see Al getting credit for his excellent little video.

Since he's not mentioned anything more, there were a couple of unusual things about that train and the running of it. Just a bit of fun, but would anyone like to guess/comment? 

I'll leave it for a few hours then reveal the answers!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well, other than the video, it seems the usual Sunday on here. Pretty dead.

I'm just heading into the bunker. I've things to do, including a bit of preparation for the door-fitting, taking place tomorrow. Given that the weather looks like it's getting colder again, that internal door is going to be a godsend!

Will check back later.

Jeff

Since he's not mentioned anything more, there were a couple of unusual things about that train and the running of it. Just a bit of fun, but would anyone like to guess/comment? 

I'll leave it for a few hours then reveal the answers!

Jeff

Jeff

I am probably entirely wrong, but here goes.

The only two things that I can see are the two rear lights on the brake van and the scrap / dismantled spitfire.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

A freight made up of mostly fitted wagons with the unfitted 16 tonner at the front rendering the advantage of the fitted wagon's brakes useless? :D

Sorry

;)

• RMweb Premium

Maybe you think I'm expecting something really deep and detailed. I'm not. Clues.... Remember where KL is set AND my other main point isn't visible to human senses.....

Hee hee hee. Pity Sir Bodgit wasn't here to chip in. He'd probably refer to it not being O/N gauge or to cream cakes!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

A freight made up of mostly fitted wagons with the unfitted 16 tonner at the front rendering the advantage of the fitted wagon's brakes useless? :D

Sorry

;)

Simples - saves bagging up the vac pipes throughout the train.  So it seems that Jeff's tiny shunting staff might not be as daft as first impressions suggest (and the headlamp code matches an unfitted train) so Jeff is clearly not so unknowing in this area as he likes us to think (but he still forgot the tail lamp :O )

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Freight on the flat.

Is it bird? Is it a plane?

No! It's a ........... :superman:

Late Edit: add a smiley

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Simples - saves bagging up the vac pipes throughout the train.  So it seems that Jeff's tiny shunting staff might not be as daft as first impressions suggest (and the headlamp code matches an unfitted train) so Jeff is clearly not so unknowing in this area as he likes us to think (but he still forgot the tail lamp :O )

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you, Mike. I don't know much about headlamp codes and the freight train in question wasn't mine, but Al's. All his stock, with him running it round the layout.

I'll leave the question of what was unusual about said train and how it was run for a bit longer. Then, when you're really fed up - or even more disinterested than you already are - I'll tell you the answer.

Further clues.... for me, it's the "dark side"....!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've had enough in the bunker for the moment. Been in there for most of the last 5 hours. It's getting cold in there - even with the heater on. The reason - I've used up the ply barrier that blocked the open doorway - so cold air just streams in from the end garage section.

It'll be interesting to see how it feels tomorrow after that door has been fitted. I'm looking forward to getting the deck chair out, setting a train running and flicking switches to my heart's content whilst listening to decent music blasting out - in the warm!!

Jeff