Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Excellent woodwork- what tool(s) are you using to cut the wood?

Hi Daniel. now that's the kind of question I wish more people would ask. It's very frustrating when you look at someone else's work and wonder how they did it.

If you look at pages 3-6 for the subframe work and 142 onwards for the hillside, you'll see a common feature. I tend to overdo the structures - I must be paranoid that I'll wake up one morning and it's all fallen apart!!

I use an "Evolution" circular saw for straight cuts of timber and ply. A Black & Decker heavy duty jigsaw for shaping the formers etc - cuts through 12mm ply like butter, but with the amount of cutting I've done I've gone through quite a few blades!

Sometimes I've used a traditional saw and a couple of very sharp 1" chisels and a hammer have been useful for cutting out joints.

Needless to say, I've nearly worn out my workmate - how could I cut a lot of this stuff without it.

Other tools; Rechargeable Bosch drill, countless drill bits and gallons of PVA, screws and lots of patience! 

I love playing around with wood. Although I'm a Physicist by training I think I've inherited my dad's passion for woodwork - he was a joiner.

Hope the info. helps!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I read that as 'wife has arrived' then and I have to admit that I first thought that you'd kept her quiet and second, wondered where on Earth you had sent her off to for the past God knows how many months :D

• Like 1

Update - with some photos...

The hill profile boards for the HILL edge have been fitted in place:

attachicon.gif100_2806.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2808.JPG

Sitting in between the hills is the "valley bottom board" - which can slide in and out. Each side of the bottom board has a profile board fitted (not shown yet - that's my next job!) that is as exact a copy of the hill profile board as I can make it.... Hope that makes sense - it'll be clearer with the next set of pics.

attachicon.gif100_2810.JPG

Jeff

Btw, my original idea was to build the sliding board as a rectangular shape. It was Al who suggested making a slight wedge. The width at the viaduct end is 34cm, at the near end (on the photos), 38cm. A wedge is easier to engage accurately and less prone to getting stuck. Thanks Al.

WOTS THAT IN ENGLISH about a yard and a tadge? :no:

Bodgit millie liters :stinker:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Haven't you ever wondered who makes all those cups of coffee for me!!?

No, the wiRe is going in the bunker later. I got within 10 days of the wedding 11 years ago, but escaped!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well then, if she has arrived, 11 years later, you're in for an ear bashing so I recommend that you lock yourself in the bunker for protection, with a months supply of coffee and biscuits!!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

WOTS THAT IN ENGLISH about a yard and a tadge? :no:

Bodgit millie liters :stinker:

Don't worry Andy. You get along fine as it is without worrying about those pesky centimetres. 

I put it down to your glue-gun technique. Oh, and your PVA handling skills. Having seen the video, does it matter yo you weather you splodge a cm3 or a gallon onto your grass!  :no:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well then, if she has arrived, 11 years later, you're in for an ear bashing so I recommend that you lock yourself in the bunker for protection, with a months supply of coffee and biscuits!!!!!

I'll let you into a secret. I'm having an internal door fitted into the bunker on Monday. From then on, the world can pass by and I can lock myself in - should I so desire - and play trains for ever more!!

Not forgetting the coffee machine - and biscuits.

I'd also need my wireless internet to keep tabs on you and Bodgit!

Jeff

My GOOD LADY :no: tells me that when we move I have to have my OWN KETTLE and CHEAP COFFEE in my Den for when ALL my friends come around, hhahheheee :O

Bogalogic Kettlefury Coffeepot :sungum: WOT? :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

• RMweb Premium

My GOOD LADY :no: tells me that when we move I have to have my OWN KETTLE and CHEAP COFFEE in my Den for when ALL my friends come around, hhahheheee :O

Bogalogic Kettlefury Coffeepot :sungum: WOT? :stinker: :stinker: :stinker:

Instant stuff during the day - but usually drink the proper stuff when I can be bothered to put the machine on. Like now. Off to do a bit more work.

No rest for the wicked!!

Jeff

That really is some serious woodwork Jeff, I wish I had your love of wood, you are very lucky to inherit that from your Farther, I only wish I had done the same, he too was a skilled carpenter.

Just make sure that when you pop your head up to take a Viaduct pic that Al doesn't close the draw and decapitate you, hahahhheheeee :O :o

Bodgit :sungum:

To be honest, one of our guys at the Club want's a complete slide out section similar to yours on our 41ft x 12ft layout, but involving the whole frame as w walk through, and cutting through the 3 tracks on two different levels, and I can't see it working for us.

• RMweb Premium

To be honest, one of our guys at the Club want's a complete slide out section similar to yours on our 41ft x 12ft layout, but involving the whole frame as w walk through, and cutting through the 3 tracks on two different levels, and I can't see it working for us.

That sounds very ambitious. I will only take on what I know I'm capable of doing. If you push things too far, the complexity outweighs any advantages you gain.

I've just fed my brother (curry with poppadoms). Time to make coffee and retire to the bunker for some wiring!

As you would say, Andy: "Catch you later".

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That removable section is rather a good idea Jeff.

Could double-up as a place to store valuables.....

You deserve an "A" for that.

Peter

I had a sliding section on my old layout, but it was poorly thought out and poorly executed. This idea was a solution to the "corner problem". There HAD to be a way to gain access to the viaduct without causing chaos by fiddling around in the corner. This idea suggested itself and Al suggested a wedge-shaped slider to improve "performance". It looks like a practical solution!

The other great thing is that I can now get on and build the valley sides/fit the tunnel-hill section etc because, at any time, I can get EASY access. It has freed-up what was potentially a very worrying point of inaccessibility (and I don't like those - smacks of bad planning!!)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Happy Bunkering????? ehhhh?

Are you playing whilst you work mow?

No play today as I've created some dust in the bunker and I'll have to clean everything before Al comes round tomorrow afternoon. Just wired up another turnout - the most awkward - to the control panel. I'm going to draw out some stream formers so I can get cutting straight away in the morning.

Plenty of play tomorrow afternoon, Andy. Should be fun - wonder what locos he'll bring?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well its good to see something that we can comment on again! Are you sure that you have got the snaking of you stream bed right? They look a bit linear to me....

Andy G ;-}

Jeff

I am really envious of you having a running session tomorrow, will you be getting wagons out or is it just Light Engine movements?

BTW, I'm on my way up, hahheee :O :no:

• RMweb Premium

SO, you reckon I'd be disappointed.

Errrr?  Ummmm?  Errrrr?

No. 

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Waiting for the next video, now..... :boredom:

In the meantime - time for coffee....

Luney Lady-in-waiting