Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Not wanting to be the lone voice of dissent here, Jeff, but....  it does seem like a very drastic soloution to what you would hope should be a very sporadic problem.

I just am concerned that by having a removable section, aren't you now placing some very rigid - if you'll pardon the pun - constraints on the scenery in the valley floor, in order to disguise those joins?

Would it not have been possible to build a cross member into the benchwork 300-500mm off the floor, that could support your weight, so you could use it like the bottom rung of a ladder, to stand on and lean into the layout and reach to the back?

Hard to judge these things from photos, but just I hope you can incorporate the sliding section without compromising the hard work you've done to get valley looking right.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments. I've just marked out the next 4 stream formers for cutting. they are only a guide - when the stream is actually built I'll probably look back at the outline shapes and wonder why I bothered!

Andy, I think when Al gets here we'll just run locos - maybe with a few wagons - to let him play with his locos and for me to test my trackwork/switching etc.

I do enjoy messing about with wood. And I'm pleased it's working out ok at the moment. At the weekend - though I have some non-railway jobs I must get on with - I intend to build the hillside in the valley - I think I've got enough plaster bandage. Oops, that was something I meant to get some more of!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Fair comments, Scott. I don't see the sliding bit makes much difference - in fact I think it's forced me to re-vamp the valley cross-section to a more natural shape.

The key thing wasn't the access to the corner. Because of the depth of the valley to the viaduct - around 1.2m - with the original design I couldn't do any work on the valley until the parts round the tunnel portal were all completed, as I'd have to work backwards towards the operating well, so to speak. It was the only non-reachable point on the scenery and something had to be done. Once the valley scenics were in there was no way I could ever stand on top of them.

The "disguised join" may not be what it seems to be..... As you rightly point out, the use of the sliding mechanism will be intermittent. There is nothing to stop me linking the hillsides and centre section, so long as I KNOW where to find the join IF it's needed. I certainly don't intend to have 2 almost parallel lines glaring out - we'll see what happens.

The sliding section also allows me to put the corner access "to bed". I liked the idea when it was just a hole. But it was practically impossible to manoeuvre the corner piece without causing damage every time. That can now be permanently fixed in place. I'm going to modify the corner from what's there now before I fix it.... that's for later.

I do accept that any kind of disguise is fraught with difficulties. So my solution to the riddle "when is a disguise not a disguise" is to make it as if the disguise wasn't on the cards in the first place!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I suppose it's a bit late, but you could of had the runners for the slidey bit have a fall in them, so that as you bring it forward it drops say half an inch, so that it is then clear of the surrounding landscaping when you bring it forward. This way you could bring the landscaping down to overlap the top of the slidey section at about 45*. As you drop the board down the join would become visible, and as you push it back it rises froming a tight join.

Thinking about it as I type, it might be easier to just take half an inch off the formers that are now stuck to the base of the removable section and add four 'jack's at each corner (mounted on the framework underneath) so that when the slide out bit is fully home, you can then turn the jacks and it will rise up to the full height and close the join up.

Just a thought..

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

For the jacks you could use a length of M8 studded rod (from any electrical wholesalers) which you bend to a crank shape. This passes through a block of wood (which is screwed to the framework under the board). This board has a slot cut in it which is just big enough to allow two M8 penny washers and an M8 nut to fit in (the washers being above and below the nut). This nut is prevented from turning by having a two small hole drilled in opposite 'flats' (not fully through them, just about 2 mm into the faces) into which two woodscrews are screwed from the ends of the block. The removeable scenic section will need a bit of reinforcement where the ends of the stud press against it, either a bit of steel plate screwed to the underside, or a block of wood above.

I-----------I                               block of wood

------------------------------------------------------      bottom of scenic section

I

I

--------------------------------------

I                                              I

I                       ---                   I

I----I                      IIIIIII                   I-----I         nut (with washers above & below) and the two woodscrews that hold the nut

I                       ---                   I

I                                              I

--------------------------------------

I

I

-----------                          Crank formed by bending stud. The handle can be covered with tape

I                          or have a tube sliped over it (secured with a nut, which  

I                          is secured by having the thread distroyed beneath it)

I

Not sure how this ASCII art will come out, but hopefully it makes it a bit clearer!

Andy G

Edited to make the art clearer!                                             

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestions Andy. My main principle in all of this is to keep it as simple as possible. And it really couldn't BE simpler - without the slidey bit being there.

I'll just summarise. I need access to as much of the layout as possible. My valley design looks pretty, but the flaw was the lack of access in building parts of it (viaduct end of valley/hillside), then lack of access thereafter. That was not good. Something had to be done. I've come up with a solution and, as with all solutions there are good sides and bad sides. I will just have to do my best to make it work.

Not doing anything wasn't an option and, once the problem of the immovability of the curved corner backscene / unreachable distance to the last (tunnel) section of hill came up, I was VERY concerned. What I've done solves the problem, whilst creating something that, hopefully, can be managed.

Sorry to bang on about it. Maybe you see why I was just going to build it and present it, complete, next week.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very neat idea andd some cracking woodwork there Jeff. David Jenkinson solved the access on his last layout by having lengths of wood that could be laid along the tracks which he could stand on. The 0 gauge track being much stronger than the scenics. Probably not so easy with 4mm (unless you have dainty feet!). I think your solution will work well just keep Sir Bodgit well away the amount of PVA he uses that wedge would never come out. I would use some furniture wax on the underside to help it slide in and out. I would suggest a small bridge or a weir at the join. Joins in water are difficult.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very neat idea andd some cracking woodwork there Jeff. David Jenkinson solved the access on his last layout by having lengths of wood that could be laid along the tracks which he could stand on. The 0 gauge track being much stronger than the scenics. Probably not so easy with 4mm (unless you have dainty feet!). I think your solution will work well just keep Sir Bodgit well away the amount of PVA he uses that wedge would never come out. I would use some furniture wax on the underside to help it slide in and out. I would suggest a small bridge or a weir at the join. Joins in water are difficult.

Don

Cheers Don.

You are the second person to suggest something like this. The "water" flow may not be sufficient for a weir - and the problem is that the water flow is towards the viaduct.

If you click on the link in post 3482 you'll see the packhorse bridge that Jason persuaded me to build.... that could be useful.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well its good to see something that we can comment on again! Are you sure that you have got the snaking of you stream bed right? They look a bit linear to me....

Andy G ;-}

Andy, just to show you that the stream bed does veer left - it'll be clearer when it's properly built...

post-13778-0-81764800-1362747293_thumb.jpg

At the end of the "slide", it turns to the right and goes through the fourth arch from the left. 

The green bars show the hill width to the right of the stram increasing as it moves away from you.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff 

It's looking good now all the formers are in place, as for streams they meander between the banks from my experience of crossing them, it just depends where all the rocks end up. So plenty of scope there to do whatever you want.

I'm starting to feel guilty now not having done anything for a few days, I'd better get motivated again.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

I wouldn't worry too much about the railway. You've been busy - and now you've got plenty of music to listen to!!

I'm waiting for Al to arrive for a running session. I've just spent an hour cleaning the boards and track with the hoover - and run my 45 through a few unusual point combinations, which it seemed to enjoy! 

I may get chance to start building the valley sides tomorrow - if I'm not "playing trains"!!

Jeff

I would use some furniture wax on the underside to help it slide in and out. I would suggest a small bridge or a weir at the join. Joins in water are difficult.

Don

You cant beat a bit of WAX to help it slide in and out :O :o :O :no: :no: :nono:

Slippery Bodgit :sungum:

I may get chance to start building the valley sides tomorrow - if I'm not "playing trains"!!

Jeff

Jeff why not do both, just have something chuffing around whilst working in the scenics.

The draw and formers look really good mate, well done

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

I hopeyou had/ are having a good running session. 

The trouble with suggestions is that you have in your minds eye what you want to achieve and it is very difficult to comment on that.  (I have tried reading minds but it never seems to work.)  If a weir would not work, then streams will have rocks strewn about them, and sometimes form a complete barrier which might work to cover the join.  This is if you are not happy with your bridge.

Personnally, I would buy a Beyer-Garrett and hang about 100 coal trucks of the back, have a Crosti 9F waiting on the viaduct with a Nuclear Flask train and people will be so gob smacked they won't notice a little join.

Have fun

• Like 1

Personnally, I would buy a Beyer-Garrett and hang about 100 coal trucks of the back, have a Crosti 9F waiting on the viaduct with a Nuclear Flask train and people will be so gob smacked they won't notice a little join.

Have fun

Now that would distract people...  I'm sure you'll find a way to do the disguise so you're happy with it Jeff.  And afterall, if the best exhibition layouts have joins, and people don't comment on them, then I don't think anyone will comment on your drawer's joint.

• RMweb Premium

I would use some furniture wax on the underside to help it slide in and out. I would suggest a small bridge or a weir at the join. Joins in water are difficult.

Don

You cant beat a bit of WAX to help it slide in and out :O :o :O :no: :no: :nono:

Slippery Bodgit :sungum:

Behave yourself! I've not tried it, but I'll have to do something as friction can have nasty side effects!!!  :O  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well, we've had our running session - 3 hours of it - and it was fun.

I've also got my mimic panel set up now so it does, indeed, mimic the workings of the track. Very pleasing!

There may be a post or two from Al in the next day or two. I hope you enjoy what he posts - there may be a surprise or three. But still NO GRASS!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Jeff

Sounds like you had a few hours of fun there.

And another landmark. Completed working mimic panel.

It's coming together nicely. So I supose we can look forward to the scenic work starting in ernest.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Evening Good Sire Jeff and fellow Lunesters

You cant beat a bit of WAX to help it slide in and out

A good supply of candles required, then.  And when you decide to rip it all out at a [much????] later date the saw will simply fly through it.

21:42  Sorry, mind not in focus - Status Quo ('73 Caroline) on tv  :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

21:46 Normal KL service resumes

So, Jeff is one happy Lunester today, then?

I wonder what the next KL subheading will be....."CUTTING THE GRASS......"?    cut_the_grass_smiley6.gif

Where's the sheep????

Waiting for Al's KL goodies.........

Little Luney BoPeep

sheep.gif

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

It's coming together nicely. So I supose we can look forward to the scenic work starting in ernest.

Duncan

Hi Duncan.

The panel is only the boring one I finished in December - see post 2267. However, it's all (temporarily) wired up (temporarily - this is just to test it - it can be fixed boardside in the near future) to all the turnouts (I've still got 4 to connect) and it works beautifully. So running locos round is now "flick a few switches on your chosen route" and off you go.

Very enjoyable.

Polly - on the same page as the post I mentioned above, specifically #2258, I noticed your lovely weather 9F from Grimy Times (I think?).

Guess you are watching the 70s Rock programme. I'm recording the Mott the Hoople programme at the mo.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Duncan

I've got a few commitments tomorrow, but I hope to start building the valley hillsides. It's now a doddle as I can work from the middle, once the slidey bit is removed. We'll see what happens, but it'll make a nice change from wiring - which is mostly what I've been doing for the last 4 weeks.

Just remembered .... Polly .... Al has some interesting video, which (I think) he'll post in the Lounge over the weekend. Should cause a bit of discussion!!  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

If there's too much of a discussion, the Lunesters will fill the top 20 posts all by themselves. :jester:  :jester:

That's fine as long as we have something useful to say and don't annoy everyone else so much that they shut us down!!

I can promise you, Al's video - and the comments he does/doesn't make - will provoke a discussion!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman