Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I had a moment this morning while reading captions in Ian Rathbone (why do i always think his name is Basil?) Painting and Lining book, and realised something that you could do which will help all of us Lunesters, and could possibly make you a bit of money as well!

Before you start ballasting and painting your track, can you paint a 2" square of plasticard with some of your Humbrol Track colour please? Then when it is dry take it to one of those proper (ie not B&Q etc) paint factors and get it scanned please? These places should be able to mix from the scan the exact colour and do it in enamel for you. The great thing about using a proper paint factor is that they will mix you a smallish tin 'on approval' and allow you to try it out for colour match. Then when you are happy, you can get lots of it mixed and then we can all order it from you! (the Paint factor will allocate a code to the mix, so that with that code you can order it over and over again. This is the way my car restorer mate does it for classic and vintage motors!)

So we may be able to bring back Humbrol track colour!

How about it Jeff?

Andy G (Painty-lune)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One problem with your idea, Andy. I haven't got any Humbrol track colour.

I've got a couple of aerosol cans of Howes Rail Grime and - somewhere - a small can or two of Phoenix paints rust (I think).

I always think of Basil, too. He was a classic Sherlock!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Well done, James!

Nice to see another Brit fan on here. I'll certainly be aiming to buy a couple more over the next year.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob, another (modelling) problem with the Clans is that they are almost as expensive as a Brit. I know they look very similar, and equally detailed, but I can't bring myself to buy one against a Brit - given the more limited number of Clans produced. Having said that, they did run on the S&C, so no excuses there!

I see you are still importing vast quantities of locos into NZ. Good for you!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

One problem with your idea, Andy. I haven't got any Humbrol track colour.

I've got a couple of aerosol cans of Howes Rail Grime and - somewhere - a small can or two of Phoenix paints rust (I think).

I always think of Basil, too. He was a classic Sherlock!

Jeff

Doh!

I thought that you did? Now how said in their thread thatthey did?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Today's plan is to get some more work done on the latest wall. I'm going to force myself out there in a minute. Force being the operative word.... I've been doing so much heavy lifting and wheelbarrow work recently that I've nearly seized up.

Apologies if things are a bit slow at the moment. Too many outside distractions and running loco sideshows to stop the ongoing work! Heading for a lull in inspiration, too. Maybe I need a short break?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Doh!

I thought that you did? Now how said in their thread thatthey did?

Andy G

Who is currently ballasting track? Larry? Or maybe it was something Jason said in the past? Not me, so it looks like you've got a needle-in-a-haystack problem, Andy!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I think I might have a lead, I'll find out later (when every sane person has woken up).

My job for today is to letter up my Lochgorm Terrier, although I can't finish it as the d**n thing has too many 1's in it's LMS number, 16118, and you only get four 1's on the HRMS sheet!

Are you walling today?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I think I might have a lead, I'll find out later (when every sane person has woken up).

My job for today is to letter up my Lochgorm Terrier, although I can't finish it as the d**n thing has too many 1's in it's LMS number, 16118, and you only get four 1's on the HRMS sheet!

Are you walling today?

Andy G

Just heading onto the Fell now!

I'll post a photo later - saying that will make me work harder to show some progress!!

Jeff

ps. good luck with the "1s"!!

• RMweb Premium

Just had a near disaster with the LMS red panel. I noticed it was about 0.5 mm off centre, so gave it a slight push to move it after re-wetting it with meths. The little blighter then peeled itself up and off the bunker. It then took 7 mins to get the thing back down, but it had creases in it, and I couldn't find anything to press it out with, that the da*n thing didn't stick to, making me have to do the whole lining up process again. In the end I removed the cotton-bud from the camera and pressed gently (but firmly) with that and bingo, it's in the right place and with no creases!

I hope the rest isn't as difficult as that!

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Knocked in my first 90 minutes of walling...don't seem to have got very far!

2 pics of "the wall" - little tall in places - plaster will be added to adjust ground level later...

post-13778-0-13724600-1371201045_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-79114300-1371201050_thumb.jpg

And here are the 2 walls to either side of the cuttings. The pic gives a wider context view...

post-13778-0-42412800-1371201059_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I would say that that is 90 mins well spent! Are you going to put any footpaths in over the top of Lunefell? If you do there could be a one of those wonderful stiles that are made out of longer stones....

As an update on my work, I have got the LMS panel, 2 off 1's, an 8 and a 6 in place. The last 1 (for this side) is just waiting for the current train to clear off, and then it will be added. Not sure if I'll have had enough by then!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Just had a near disaster with the LMS red panel. I noticed it was about 0.5 mm off centre, so gave it a slight push to move it after re-wetting it with meths. The little blighter then peeled itself up and off the bunker. It then took 7 mins to get the thing back down, but it had creases in it, and I couldn't find anything to press it out with, that the da*n thing didn't stick to, making me have to do the whole lining up process again. In the end I removed the cotton-bud from the camera and pressed gently (but firmly) with that and bingo, it's in the right place and with no creases!

I hope the rest isn't as difficult as that!

Andy g

Rather you than me, Andy. What you're describing makes me realise how relatively easy - if tedious - building the walling is!

Is the Terrier for your daughter? I hope she hasn't lost interest!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's good fun this hobby isn't it?

I can say that this one is for me, I've not yet won something suitable for her yet, although I'm always on the lookout.

BTW, would you belive it, just got the last 1 on and the cab steps fell off ;-{

Matron!

Andy G

Index updated to the end of page 272. So much going on, it's taking longer and longer to keep it up-to-date.

A bit more walling done today. But the best part was running a few locos. I spent an hour cleaning the track, then over an hour running a variety of steam and diesel. I think my blue class 40 had been run for about 10 minutes prior to this. It certainly got a good workout today!

Jeff

Jeff, I see NO PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE OF THIS RUNNING SESSION, hahaaa

Bodgit the Terrible :sungum:

Coachman pointed out qute rightly that in the last days of BR steam top lamp brackets were lowered to smokebox door, so in view of this, here is the same engine on perhaps the Long Drag.

I am off to open several packages from the UK; two Bulleids, a 9F and and A3.  And a cup of tea!

edit. The Long Drag had flat-bottom rail by 1966 I suppose.... and there are no overhead wire warning on the engine. Too tired to fix those!

attachicon.gifBritannia_70022_last_days_BR_1966_sanders_on_1abc_r800.jpg

Awesome Rob, Thanks

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I see NO PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE OF THIS RUNNING SESSION, hahaaa

Bodgit the Terrible :sungum:

Andy - it was so good, I never had the time to get the camera and take photos! I had 6 locos chasing each other on the main lines: the 4 recently weathered ones, a 40 and a 45.

They are still in the bunker - covered with a towel. Resistance will wane over the weekend and I'll take some others in for a play testing session....

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I would say that that is 90 mins well spent! Are you going to put any footpaths in over the top of Lunefell? If you do there could be a one of those wonderful stiles that are made out of longer stones....

As an update on my work, I have got the LMS panel, 2 off 1's, an 8 and a 6 in place. The last 1 (for this side) is just waiting for the current train to clear off, and then it will be added. Not sure if I'll have had enough by then!

Andy G

The answer to the footpaths is "yes" - often the paths just ran parallel to the walls. As for the stiles, again "yes", but I'll have to do some image searching for inspiration.

I will also have to incorporate some broken-down bits of walling in places. And - way back in the thread (see post 5054) - there's a picture of a cattle "keep" made from walling - we need one of those and a delapidated shepherd's hut.

Finally, I mustn't forget the air shaft above the tunnel (see post 5311) and the pack horse bridge below the viaduct (see post 3482). I think the latter is going to be assembled brick by brick using the DAS technique.

So there's plenty of detail to fit onto the Fell - if I can find the space!!  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• Like 1

Agh Jeff you promised GRASS by the end of the week, Still the walls are a real tour de force and will probably STOP you from breaking the layout up in a year or two when you change to O Gauge, hahhaa.

Have you given any thought a smoke unit in the Tunnel Vent Shaft? DCC controlled of course and in sinck with the passing of trains below.

Bodgit

Morning All,

Those hillside fence-like rock structures are going to look good with something yellowish green along their base,  please please don't make the green too bright. I cannot stand the colours in a lot of model railways in magazines. It may be the camera, the printing, or me, but candy-coloured grass, avoid!  I de-saturate most colours from Microsoft or Picasa image editing defaults. Probably just me. 

Here is my desk this morning, a cold bleak day outside, pleased to be making more pictures!

post-7929-0-09057200-1371244643.jpg

• Like 1

Morning All,

Those hillside fence-like rock structures are going to look good with something yellowish green along their base,  please please don't make the green too bright. I cannot stand the colours in a lot of model railways in magazines. It may be the camera, the printing, or me, but candy-coloured grass, avoid!  I de-saturate most colours from Microsoft or Picasa image editing defaults. Probably just me. 

Here is my desk this morning, a cold bleak day outside, pleased to be making more pictures!

attachicon.gifRobbie's Engines 15 6 13.jpg

Hi Rob, is that 007 Wadebridge in the background, one of the best of all Bullieds, I am off to the Severn Valley Railway tomorrow and Sir Keith Park is running so I will post you some pics after the weekend.

All the best Bodgit

Rob, the reason that Wadebridge is special to me is because my Parents met just outside Wadebridge during the War and used to go there dancing on a Sat night.

Wonderful stuff,

P.S. I have to say that I HATE the Sunshine Southern Green but that is just a personal thing I guess.

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Rob, the reason that Wadebridge is special to me is because my Parents met just outside Wadebridge during the War and used to go there dancing on a Sat night.

Wonderful stuff,

P.S. I have to say that I HATE the Sunshine Southern Green but that is just a personal thing I guess.

Bodgit

Just come in after an evening of (proper) bricklaying and curry.

I like the colour of Wadebridge - not keen on the other green, which I guess you're referring to, Andy?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning All,

attachicon.gifRobbie's Engines 15 6 13.jpg

I'm in agreement with you there, Rob. Bright green doesn't happen too often in nature - on the larger scale - lawns, maybe. Yellowy-green, yes. Amazing how the eye selectively filters what it sees to convince you that what you are seeing is a brighter hue than it really is. 

This is the kind of green I prefer - from my old layout, around 5 years ago...

post-13778-0-53151900-1371248602_thumb.jpg

What's the Britannia in the foreground of your photo (post # 6972)?

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2