Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Is the sun actually shining up there Jeff?   (Anywhere north of Bletchley is 'up there')

We have just had grey rain, floods further south, and sea-level snow to come. Good picture-making weather. Not necessarily so nice in the bunker if there is bright sun outside.  I like the way you plan the layout construction.  So long as each stage is enjoyable in itself.

Cheers Rob.

I try to do things in a logical way, though many would have ballasted by now. With the amount of plaster and clay I'm using I don't want to mess up my nicely ballasted track - though it'll have to be done before the bridges etc can be fitted.

As with any pastime, things can get a bit tedious. A break and a bit of perspective help - which is what I'm trying to do with the outside work at the moment. And yes, the sun was shining - and the mosquitos were biting!

Jeff

Cheers Duncan. A lot has been done in the last year, but at the rate I'm going we may reach another 7000 before I finish!

Thanks for the walling info - I plan to put some of the images to good use. Hope the job is keeping you out of mischief!

Jeff

Jeff

It's made for an interesting and informative year. Another 7000 posts wouldn't be a bad thing with the Lunesters.

Work is certainly keeping me out of trouble, out of the house and unfortunately away from modelling. I do have something in the pipeline which if it comes off I will post in the lounge by the end of July.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

It's made for an interesting and informative year. Another 7000 posts wouldn't be a bad thing with the Lunesters.

Work is certainly keeping me out of trouble, out of the house and unfortunately away from modelling. I do have something in the pipeline which if it comes off I will post in the lounge by the end of July.

Duncan

Good to hear - we all hope it'll work out for you!

As for KL, well, I'm in need of a short break. A week or so then it'll be time to conduct some ballast tests, ballast the cuttings, put a bit of yellow-brown-green stuff down, fix the bridges, build up the hills and complete the aqueduct - if I'm feeling inspired!

Just keep me in check, as normal! Time for bed now.

Jeff

Oh dear, someone disagrees with something I've said. Wow - it's only taken 7000 posts for that to happen...

Maybe he disagreed with getting up at 4:20am :O

Mind you, he's been a member for nine months and not posted anything or gained any brownie points, so maybe we should welcome his first active involvement in RMWeb?

Nick

• Like 2

If you look away for a week the whole thing will have changed, strange people will have taken over, posting pictures of Bulleid engines, and worse.

Of course O V S Bulleid was born in NZ and was deputy to Gresley, so he's virtually blood.

I have begun to tire of Westmoreland myself and need a dose of real steam engineering, none of this practical everyday conventional North Eastern malarky.

As a parting shot, when 9Fs were in use for their short and glorious lives, well, enginemen certainly liked them, here is 'our' Doncaster 92177 not only stolen by Skipton or some other foreign shed, but called-upon to work a cross-country Leeds-Glasgow train to express timings.  No trouble. Left a line of 65 empty mineral wagons parked in 2 sidings at a placed called....  Kirkby Luneside! Took over a failed Jubilee class working, 20 minutes lost, 10 more coupling up a rusty steam heat connection, and guess what, on-time by Glasgow!

post-7929-0-76383200-1371508260.jpg

• Like 1

Oh dear, someone disagrees with something I've said. Wow - it's only taken 7000 posts for that to happen.

Hate to disappoint you Jeff - still no-one disagreeing with you! The disagree tag happened by accident, I was only aware it was me when I looked back to see who it was - that has to go down as the most embarrassing ever  first involvement with the forum,

I have been following your progress avidly for a long  time but haven't posted before because I do not feel qualified to comment. In reality I am in awe of what you have achieved but as I do not have a layout, (only an eclectic collection of stock so far), I have kept my thoughts to  myself.

I WILL start a layout one day,( planning has been going on for a looooong time), and I take inspiration from the wonderful efforts of you and many others on the forum.

Best wishes

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I disagree with getting up at 4.30am too, but sadly these days I have to to be anywhere near awake enough to be able to respond to any of the brown stuff that might hit the whirry thing when I arrive at work for 6am.

I love the way KL is coming together, and I'm afriad Jeff that it will be closer to 21000 posts before you have got anywhere near finished, and thats with keeping it (almost) on topic on here!

BTW Welcome aboard Chris, don't keep quiet as you haven't got a layout (I haven't either), your modelling skills are as valid as anyones else, and this thread is what it is because we all chip in!

Andy G

You do realise, Chris, with that effort you have earned yourself the honorary tag: "Disagreeing Lunester"???

Don't be put off posting, just because you don't have a layout.  Folks around here are more likely to notice if you build a whopping great mountain, a couple of bridges, and a pair of circuits around the room, but don't place a blade of grass in plain sight...

For what it's worth, I'm not qualified to post here, either, but it hasn't stopped me yet!

Cheers

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And bare in mind that Scott is the biggest trouble maker of them all. I still piss myself when l think of Mankinigate! ;-}

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Hate to disappoint you Jeff - still no-one disagreeing with you! The disagree tag happened by accident, I was only aware it was me when I looked back to see who it was - that has to go down as the most embarrassing ever  first involvement with the forum,

I have been following your progress avidly for a long  time but haven't posted before because I do not feel qualified to comment. In reality I am in awe of what you have achieved but as I do not have a layout, (only an eclectic collection of stock so far), I have kept my thoughts to  myself.

I WILL start a layout one day,( planning has been going on for a looooong time), and I take inspiration from the wonderful efforts of you and many others on the forum.

Best wishes

Chris

Morning Chris,

It's not a problem. I only commented because a number of people on the Forum have commented on the Agree/Disagree system - particularly the latter, when a Disagree is marked up and there is no subsequent discussion.

I'm quite happy to debate any issues - and there are many FAR wiser, more knowledgeable people on here who would put some of my contentious views to shame. So I fully expect to be called to account at some stage....

Anyway, thanks for your post. As I said - no problem at all and you've now "broken your duck"!! I'm glad you find some of the stuff on here useful. You'll already have worked out that it's the Lunesters who make this thread. Yes, I build the stuff, but the wonderful contributions and ideas inspire me to have a go - and often get it wrong (rock faces spring immediately to mind!)

To anyone reading this - IF you do disagree with any topic, let us all know. I'm always happy to learn the errors of my ways.

More posts Chris - if you feel up to it! And welcome aboard!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes

Chris

Chris - I'm sure you know a lot more than you think. And any ideas - however odd they may seem - can be very useful.

Just to remind you - until a year ago I'd never used finescale track or fitted/used slow motion point motors. I'd never used electrofrogs with polarity switching.....

It's been great fun learning about these things - and everyone welcomed my (sometimes) ignorance with (probably gritted teeth) a smile....

Anyway, welcome aboard.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You do realise, Chris, with that effort you have earned yourself the honorary tag: "Disagreeing Lunester"???

Don't be put off posting, just because you don't have a layout.  Folks around here are more likely to notice if you build a whopping great mountain, a couple of bridges, and a pair of circuits around the room, but don't place a blade of grass in plain sight...

For what it's worth, I'm not qualified to post here, either, but it hasn't stopped me yet!

Cheers

Scott

Now Scott - as they say - "you're having a larrff".

Stockrington is going to be a classic - with its extensive planning and beautiful execution. I do take your point though - I think you are picking up new skills and ideas as you go along in the same way that I am.

I'm in awe - as is Andy (uax6) - of your photoshopping skills....ummm!! Lol.

Jeff

Now Scott - as they say - "you're having a larrff".

Stockrington is going to be a classic - with its extensive planning and beautiful execution. I do take your point though - I think you are picking up new skills and ideas as you go along in the same way that I am.

I'm in awe - as is Andy (uax6) - of your photoshopping skills....ummm!! Lol.

Jeff

Jeff I AGREE with all you have said above and I am NOT AFRAID to show it publicly.

Bodgit Hot Glue Flockgrass. DFC, PVA, UHUGLUE and BAR :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I AGREE with all you have said above and I am NOT AFRAID to show it publicly.

Bodgit Hot Glue Flockgrass. DFC, PVA, UHUGLUE and BAR :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Blimey Andy, I'm truly shocked....

I didn't realise you were so poorly qualified!

Hope the weather's better in Derbyshire today - and you are hard at work on FY. If I can get out of my chair - muscle stiffness (too much concrete!!) - I might go and do an hour of walling.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You don't need to be able to get out of the chair to make more stones though Jeff! You'll never have enough of them, so put something dull on the telly (like cricket!) and get some stones made!

Andy G

(practising with a bow-pen again)

• RMweb Premium

You don't need to be able to get out of the chair to make more stones though Jeff! You'll never have enough of them, so put something dull on the telly (like cricket!) and get some stones made!

Andy G

(practising with a bow-pen again)

Trouble with you is that you've got too much common-sense! And you are correct - I've just checked and I've run out of the thinnest (3") walling strip - I "only" made 30 of them!!

Btw, been meaning to ask - where does "uax6" come from - is it your signalman's call-sign?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ah my uax6 handle. It's a sad story really.

One of my other hobbies is collecting vintage telephone equipment, and at one point (before I got married!) I had the largest collection of rare Unit Automatic eXchanges in the country, having examples of uax6, uax7, uax12 and uax13. The oldest was the uax6, and it cost me all of 50p to buy off BT! Sadly it needed a lot of work, and with getting married and sorting the house out it had to go, but I hope one day it will return. Now I'm down to just two uax 12's (one pre-std and dating from the mid 1930's, and the other an std converted one. They both need work, but you can get calls through both of them, but I need a sort out of stuff as i can't get into the building that they are in (which at 21' by 9' would make a lovely model railway room!). They are on my to-do list, as I'd like to get them fully working again soon.

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Right, Andy - I've made another 20 of the thinnest DAS strips, so - with what's left from previously - I should have enough material for around 60cm of new walling.

I'll be doing a few jobs in the bunker tomorrow - including a touch of wall painting - so I'll maybe use some of the strips then.

Btw, there is nothing wrong with collecting anything that holds an interest for you. And the things you collect don't have to be intrinsically valuable. At least I now understand what "uax6" is!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Once upon a time if I remember rightly you asked for photo's of Westmoreland stiles, well if this works there should be some here!!

Stile 1, Side 1

post-8639-0-76449900-1371584484.jpg

Stile 1, Side 2

post-8639-0-02375000-1371584667.jpg

On the other side of the same field we have

Stile 2, Side 1

post-8639-0-68340900-1371585007.jpg

Stile 2, side 2

post-8639-0-81813800-1371585056.jpg

Just to throw a spanner in the works, here's a different style stile!!

post-8639-0-80750400-1371585134.jpg

Now 4 views of another stile, 2 each side

post-8639-0-62592400-1371585240.jpg

post-8639-0-31957600-1371585274.jpg

post-8639-0-56151000-1371585308.jpg

post-8639-0-29434900-1371585332.jpg

And as I could not be bothered to climb over this one there is only 1 photo!!

post-8639-0-43543000-1371585411.jpg

I hope these help, plenty more stiles around here and if you want some more photo's, just shout.

Keep up the good work and it's good to see that after 7000 posts NOBODY disagrees with you!!

Chip

• Like 5

Right, Andy - I've made another 20 of the thinnest DAS strips, so - with what's left from previously - I should have enough material for around 60cm of new walling.

I'll be doing a few jobs in the bunker tomorrow - including a touch of wall painting - so I'll maybe use some of the strips then.

Btw, there is nothing wrong with collecting anything that holds an interest for you. And the things you collect don't have to be intrinsically valuable. At least I now understand what "uax6" is!

Jeff

After all those lovely stiles and arrangements of rocks, you will have no excuse Jeff .  KL will be identified in the history of great model railways as being "the one with the superb stonework and moorland fences"   ...  as well as the 170,000-message descriptive thread assocated with its 20-year construction.

I myself have returned to sanity. Illustrating a Bulleid SpamCan, and nowhere north of Basingstoke!

Heavy rain here. Grey. Very Surrey-like.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Chip - many thanks for the photos...clearly taken by your own fair hand?

The "model" I like is the variety (on most of yours) with the large slabs protruding out of the wall to make the steps. It should be relatively easy to incorporate into the model. I'll give it a go tomorrow, if I can work out the line of the next wall (doesn't really matter where - I'll go for a low-level one, so I can run a path to and from the stile) I'll see what it looks like and post some pics.

There's nothing to stop me having the occasional wooden stile, as in the links that Duncan provided.

It's always good to be authentic!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

After all those lovely stiles and arrangements of rocks, you will have no excuse Jeff .  KL will be identified in the history of great model railways as being "the one with the superb stonework and moorland fences"   ...  as well as the 170,000-message descriptive thread assocated with its 20-year construction.

I myself have returned to sanity. Illustrating a Bulleid SpamCan, and nowhere north of Basingstoke!

Heavy rain here. Grey. Very Surrey-like.

Rob - you may be correct regarding the walling...must admit it does look half decent when viewed from normal "operating" distance.

However, KL is a few days over one year into construction. I'd like to think it'd be nearing completion by the time it reaches its third birthday. That's my target, but with you lot chipping in ideas, and a "no compromise" approach (within my limit of ability), who is to say how long it'll take!!?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Chip's photos are the stiles I was thinking about, although I think there is a Yorkshire variant as well where the stile is a gap in the wall, with two long stones standing vertically with a tiny (leg thickness) gap between them like this : http://www.fotocraftimages.co.uk/wensleydale/h52A452EE#h52a452ee

I also noticed this one a packhorse bridge: http://the-hazel-tree.com/2013/05/15/little-emilys-bridge-wharfedale/

(I googled yorkshire stiles (in images))

I also noted that I have a longing to get amongst this stuff again, away from the boring fens! The good news is that we have booked a cottage in Ambleside for next year, so I can get and walk in the fells again, although it will be the first time since I shattered my leg 10 years ago, that I will have been for a proper walk...

Andy G