Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

With the rate of progress of those walls, I think that you are allowed a fews days to unwind from what must be a teadious and fiddly job.

Always good to have a few days off and come back refreshed.

Andy G

We are all going to have withdrawals. Jeff does the work, we comment.  I miss it already.

You are right Rob, Hes gone for a real Walls ice cream, as long as he doesn't  find some grass and get STONED,

still if he did he would do it in Stile,

hahaha

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

We are all going to have withdrawals. Jeff does the work, we comment.  I miss it already.

It's not only you that misses it. Even if I only do an hour a day, I'm doing something. Away from the bunker is very limiting. However - Andy (uax6) will love this - I've taken the walling jig and DAS over to Cumbria so I can make up lots more clay strips ready for further walling.

Forward planning....!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You are right Rob, Hes gone for a real Walls ice cream, as long as he doesn't  find some grass and get STONED,

still if he did he would do it in Stile,

hahaha

Plenty of grass and stone inspiration as I drove through Kirkby Stephen and on to the M6. I love that part of the world. Even pass within a few miles of Chip on my journey to dads!

Glad to see your humour is as bad as ever, Andy!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've received my new Bachmann 9F (pre-weathered) and the TMC weathered Apollo, so both will be pressed into service for test runs when I get home.

I'll take a couple of pics of the off-the-shelf 9F against the TMC weathered 9F a bit later, when it lightens up (gloomy morning so far). Interesting to see the differences...

OK, breakfast time followed by a bit of clay shaping.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, you're not misssing much this side o' the hills either, gloomy and grey. Those walls are excellent and in the pics they do receed into the distance, although it may be different "in the flesh". Adding depth to layouts is a challenging thing and has had mixed results. Some things work, others don't. I think the back scene is crucial, get that right and a layout looks the business. Larry seems to have gone some way to achieving that on Greenfield even if you can see a join. I would have curved the corners as I don't think 90 deg angles in the sky look right ( am I critising the great man?)

Have a good break with your dad, (I don't think we appreciate our parents enough).

It's not only you that misses it. Even if I only do an hour a day, I'm doing something. Away from the bunker is very limiting. However - Andy (uax6) will love this - I've taken the walling jig and DAS over to Cumbria so I can make up lots more clay strips ready for further walling.

Forward planning....!!

Jeff

Dad will be pleased, hahahahah

Bodgit

Plenty of grass and stone inspiration as I drove through Kirkby Stephen and on to the M6. I love that part of the world. Even pass within a few miles of Chip on my journey to dads!

Jeff

Whats CHIP?

Bodgit the confused . conman

• RMweb Premium

Whats CHIP?

Bodgit the confused . conman

Morning Andy.

It's more a case of WHO is Chip. Chip = Chipster, a regular viewer of KL and the guy who recently put up all those lovely stile photos.

He lives a few miles from Tebay, near the road I take between Kirkby Stephen and the M6.

As for the DAS - I think dad considers me a crazy man. I showed him the photos and how I made the strips. He just smiled!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, you're not misssing much this side o' the hills either, gloomy and grey. Those walls are excellent and in the pics they do receed into the distance, although it may be different "in the flesh". Adding depth to layouts is a challenging thing and has had mixed results. Some things work, others don't. I think the back scene is crucial, get that right and a layout looks the business. Larry seems to have gone some way to achieving that on Greenfield even if you can see a join. I would have curved the corners as I don't think 90 deg angles in the sky look right ( am I critising the great man?)

Have a good break with your dad, (I don't think we appreciate our parents enough).

Good to hear from you Jonathan - you must be very busy these days.

I'm delighted with the walls - they are a slow build, but surprisingly intuitive once you get going. I'd imagined I'd be stood there thinking "I need a bit this long, now a shorter bit", but it doesn't work like that.

I'm afraid my Fell backscene is going to be very simple: sky with a few clouds. I'm not going to try to pretend the Fell continues to rise and, not being artistic, I'm keeping it as simple as possible. If this strategy doesn't work, I'll try something else.

Jeff

ps. weather not so great in LA14, either!!

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear from you Jonathan - you must be very busy these days.

Jeff

ps. weather not so great in LA14, either!!

Not really Jeff, just not had anything to say. Busy at home with LMS suburbans, you may need a couple for that branch in BR carmine or maroon.

• RMweb Premium

Since there's no activity in the bunker (as I'm not there!!), I thought I'd post a few 9F pics.

The latest (Bachmann pre-weathered) 9F in the foreground as against the TMC job (see post #6920) behind:

post-13778-0-82602800-1371815402_thumb.jpg

A previous pre-weathered 9F (first shown way back in post #214) is now in the foreground...

post-13778-0-24446700-1371815407_thumb.jpg

And front views of the trio...

post-13778-0-39192000-1371815411_thumb.jpg

Pristine Evening Star wasn't available (it's back home) to join the 9F club!

Jeff

• Like 4

Very nice Jeff, but please get rid of those awful front couplings, one quick pull even if it only for the photo shoot.

The Tender in the TMC one is nice and the rust just adds to the effects.

I bet you cant wait to have a yard full of them and just the one on a long vans train going over that wonderful Viaduct.

Talking of things that are wrong, at the Wigan show there was a GWR layout and the chap runs wonderful Victorian locos with open cabs, now I saw this layout at Sutton Coldfield last year and NONE of the locos had any crew in them, and his excuse was that he could not find Victorian Figures, But surely anything is better than nothing OVER 12 MONTHS ON.

WHINGE OVER :no:  

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Jeff, but please get rid of those awful front couplings, one quick pull even if it only for the photo shoot.

The Tender in the TMC one is nice and the rust just adds to the effects.

I bet you cant wait to have a yard full of them and just the one on a long vans train going over that wonderful Viaduct.

Talking of things that are wrong, at the Wigan show there was a GWR layout and the chap runs wonderful Victorian locos with open cabs, now I saw this layout at Sutton Coldfield last year and NONE of the locos had any crew in them, and his excuse was that he could not find Victorian Figures, But surely anything is better than nothing OVER 12 MONTHS ON.

WHINGE OVER :no:  

You are right about the couplings. Don't really need them - but only noticed them when I posted the photo on here!

As for cabin crew - I'll need to get a few figures to put into my locos. And I can see myself with at least a couple more 9Fs and Brits over the next year or so.

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff

Three of my four brothers (I have one sister)   passed over the S&C yesterday behind a Royal Scot.   I hope the weather was good. I will no doubt have to look at a lot of photos and video in 5 weeks when they return from the UK.

As to the erstwhile 9Fs., thankyou Jeff for the pics; I was thinking of buying a weathered Bachmann 92233 but alonside the TMC version it's not so brilliant. You may have saved me a hundred quid or so.

Edited by robmcg

Just reading over the past 20 pages or so of this layout. Very nice, the stone walls are amazing!!! I shall look forward to future updates. Also good to see a photo of the Bachmann 9F. I personally think it's not a bad looking beast considering it is massed produced, may have to get me one :)

Regards 

Scott

Edited by thebritfarmer

• RMweb Premium

Three of my four brothers (I have one sister)   passed over the S&C yesterday behind a Royal Scot.   I hope the weather was good. I will no doubt have to look at a lot of photos and video in 5 weeks when they return from the UK. As to the erstwhile 9Fs., thankyou Jeff for the pics; I was thinking of buying a weathered Bachmann 92233 but alonside the TMC version it's not so brilliant. You may have saved me a hundred quid or so.

Hi Rob.

The Bachmann weathering is better to the eye than in the photos. However, the effect isn't as good as the TMC work, but I suppose we can expect that. It's a very smooth runner and its pulling power is superb.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just reading over the past 20 pages or so of this layout. Very nice, the stone walls are amazing!!! I shall look forward to future updates. Also good to see a photo of the Bachmann 9F. I personally think it's not a bad looking beast considering it is massed produced, may have to get me one :)  Regards Scott

Morning Scott.

Nice to have another Canadian on board!

If you've had a Bachmann 9F previously you'll know how good they are. I'm becoming a bit of an addict. I think my fiddle yard is going to be full of them!

And Brits, Jubilees, 8Fs.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

A good man cannot have too many 9F's, and the grubbier the better. Have a good break. Bodgit

Andy, I'm coming to the same conclusion.

The weathered Ivatt in FY is very good - one of these days I'll have a go!!

Btw, I'm surprised you have time for modelling with all those magazine articles!!

Jeff