Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Evening lads. Thanks for the comments about the walling. I've been busy all day and haven't been into the bunker since lunchtime.

As for the 9F, I'm pleased with the weathering work TMC have carried out. The loco was in pristine shiny black when I sent it to them, ten days ago. I've seen much heavier weathering on locos, but there's a lot of subtlety in the work, apparent when you examine the model.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I had just about caught up, had dinner, come back and we're on another page and more catching up. Good to see the interest is still strong.

I like the 9F but there again, it is a 9F.   :yes:  :sungum:

The walling is looking most impressive and so is the through the tunnel photography.  You obviously followed the instructions on the bottle: "DRINK ME" to get into the tunnel.  Did you meet the White Rabbit while you were down there?

Coffee time here - I'm told (haha) - but I have other ideas - some teacakes to use up by best before date ends. 

Polly (put the kettle on)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had just about caught up, had dinner, come back and we're on another page and more catching up. Good to see the interest is still strong.

I like the 9F but there again, it is a 9F.   :yes:  :sungum:

The walling is looking most impressive and so is the through the tunnel photography.  You obviously followed the instructions on the bottle: "DRINK ME" to get into the tunnel.  Did you meet the White Rabbit while you were down there?

Coffee time here - I'm told (haha) - but I have other ideas - some teacakes to use up by best before date ends. 

Polly (put the kettle on)

Thats funny, I have just been told its coffee time, but I HAVE TO MAKE IT,

Bodgit the coffee maker :sungum:

Polly - I nearly wrenched my arm out stretching to get the camera into the cutting entrance! The photo was worth it - the lighting on the rock face is perfect to bring out detail (pure fluke it came out well!!)

As for Sir Bodgit.... forget the coffee, get the ply out and start making those walls you said you'd do. If you do that, maybe, just MAYBE, I'll start growing some grass!!  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 1

It's a damn sight more comfy encouraging you Jeff than building any scenery myself.   I just received a heavily weathered Britannia, an Ebay purchase, which looks like 90% soot and little in the way of rust or water-staining, so it will require some fiddling with photo editing. So plenty to keep me busy.

Your 9F looks great and I'll bet looks better to the naked eye than in a photo, mine usually do!

Rob

edit; in the meantime here is that same Jubilee in shed guise.

post-7929-0-56170100-1370993777.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You are correct about the 9F, Rob. The camera and lighting fails to pick out the more subtle variations in the weathering applied. It's great to see the specific nature of the weathering - not just a global blast with paintwork.

I've no more locos scheduled for treatment in the immediate future but I'm very pleased with the results.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm absolutely christmas-crackered from my digging/concreting etc exploits over the last week, so it'll be a take-it-easy day. That doesn't mean I won't do a bit more on my walling. It's tedious and frustrating at times, but very therapeutic as the wall grows. This one should look good as it snakes across the top of the Fell as it moves upwards.

When complete (end of week?), I'll give all the walling a light wash of browns and greys, let the "ground" dry and apply a base coat of ..... you know what.

Maybe I ought to go and clean the mainline and run some locos? Now why would I want to do that?!!  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

5 hours after my last post and....no walling....yet.

Far more interesting things to do. Lubricated the tenders of half a dozen locos and, having cleaned a section of track (the part that makes up the station and branch bit), I've been running 8 steam locos round and round, forward and reverse, turnouts changing here and there... Great fun and it reminds you what all the "hard" work is about.

Just ordered another 9F for the fleet - you can't have too many (I'm sure Polly will agree!)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just to show that I have done something today, here's a couple of pics of the current wall.

The second photo shows the "snaking" nature, with the line above it indicating the path it'll take.

post-13778-0-27987300-1371063975_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-29179800-1371063980_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Jeff looking very good.

I was wondering wether you could make it so that it bulges out on the curve, looking like it was on the verge of falling over? I take it that the gaps in the 'footings' will be filled with something?

I think they add a certain something to the scene, but shouldn't you have ballasted first before building these fragile walls where your arms are going to swing about??

Andy

(I've ordered some stuff today to: Some GWR buffers, and caley axleboxs and springs....)

• RMweb Premium

Gents - thanks for the comments.

Andy - the "footings" will be covered over with a skim of plaster. I'm trying to keep the walls to a scale height of around 5 feet - if they get too high I can always locally raise the ground level with plaster.

As for fragility....The walls are remarkably tough, given the amount of PVA that's gone into them. However, they are probably quite brittle, so a sudden shock could fracture them. Hopefully, if that happened, the bits could be reassembled. 

I'm not a sensible person - I could have done the cutting ballasting by now. Yes, but I'm a nutter - and I didn't. I've got some Copydex on order and I'm going to conduct some ballasting trials over the next week or so.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as you are going to such trouble proper walling great rocks and bridges I thought you might have use loose ballst properly tamped in place :jester: :jester: :jester: Just kidding Jeff. I don't mind ballasting by the PVA turns my granite ballast green so I have to dirty it up.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as you are going to such trouble proper walling great rocks and bridges I thought you might have use loose ballst properly tamped in place :jester: :jester: :jester: Just kidding Jeff. I don't mind ballasting by the PVA turns my granite ballast green so I have to dirty it up.

Don

Don - interesting comment regarding the ballast. Years ago, when I was using Javis ballast, I had the same problem. But I've always used Woodland Scenics stuff since and I've never had any colour issues whatever.

I've usually ballasted with the PVA/drip method. As discussed - several times - on these pages, there are other schools of thought. With the thinner sleeper depth of SMP track I may be able to "do a Jason", so I'll trial Copydex and PVA - pre-painted between the sleepers and 2mm ballast (80% 2mm/20% 4mm actually - my preferred mix) sprinkled in. If that doesn't work well, it'll be back to the old fashioned method.

Jeff 

• RMweb Premium

That looks really good mate, When did you say the Grass would be going down so I can tune in again then? hahahhaa

EXCELLENT STUFF MATE,

WELL DONE SO FAR,

Bodgit

I think there'll be something representing grass by the end of the weekend, Andy. Just a base layer of different colour blends of "fine turf" to start with.

I'm sure you'll have tuned in before I get to that bit!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The wall is going along at good speed.  It'll soon be visible from outta space - the Great Wall of KL.   :jester:

I've got some more earth colouring to do on Camel Quay before I can start putting down some turf.  You'll probably have yours down on KL before then.

Thinking of grass, it's setting off the ol' sneezin'  - it's that time of year, again.... :king:

Tish-00 Lune

You are correct about the 9F, Rob. The camera and lighting fails to pick out the more subtle variations in the weathering applied. It's great to see the specific nature of the weathering - not just a global blast with paintwork.

I've no more locos scheduled for treatment in the immediate future but I'm very pleased with the results.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, a winter's day here and not a lot of colour about, while large trees outside are being pruned and cut up for next years's firewood.

As to weathering, I am aware that for many modellers here on RMweb 'no body gets it quite right', at least with regard to other people's efforts, so here is the heavily-weathered Britannia I bought a few days ago, photographed in my usual manner with judicious colouring here and there.

To me this is very Kirkby Luneside-ish because many Britannias including ex-WR 70022 'Tornado' finished their days at Carlisle Upperby and Kingmoor, doing often irregular turns on goods and all kinds of plebeian tasks on even the S&C I suspect, and not well kept in their last days. What sad days they were for BR steam, 1965 to 1967 when I was studying at school to be something or other involving French, Latin, Maths, and even physics!

David Shepherd's book 'An Artist Among the Ashes' shows evocative photos sketches and paintings of last days of Standard class 5MTs and Bulleids on the Southernn Region, so my version of a late-BR Standard Britannia 70022 is not too far off the money, plus of course I have my own memories. I have other photo angles of this model yet to finish, probably with passenger and goods trains in suitable Westmoreland locations.

Captured in full forward gear just moving off-shed in a stiff Westerly breeze, possibly in 1966 not long before withdawal and unceremonious cutting-up.

post-7929-0-63749100-1371094464.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rob, you are right about the weathering - simply because the state of the locos changed so much during their lifetime. The BBC Four documentary "The Last Days of Steam" features David Shepherd visiting loco depots in the late 1960s. What a run-down, decrepit state many were in. Filthy locos just waiting out time....

Your Britannia looks the part - still suitably impressive, despite her coating of crap and relative neglect. I love the Brits and 9Fs - so I guess that makes 2 of us. I ought to buy a Clan standard 6 to add to the collection.

Nice image, as usual!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

The wall is going along at good speed.  It'll soon be visible from outta space - the Great Wall of KL.   :jester:

I've got some more earth colouring to do on Camel Quay before I can start putting down some turf.  You'll probably have yours down on KL before then.

Thinking of grass, it's setting off the ol' sneezin'  - it's that time of year, again.... :king:

Tish-00 Lune

Hi Polly. I'm pleased with the progress. It's coming up 6am, I've had breakfast and I'm heading into the bunker to do a bit more.

Keep taking the anti-histamines!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Index updated to the end of page 272. So much going on, it's taking longer and longer to keep it up-to-date.

A bit more walling done today. But the best part was running a few locos. I spent an hour cleaning the track, then over an hour running a variety of steam and diesel. I think my blue class 40 had been run for about 10 minutes prior to this. It certainly got a good workout today!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Thankyou for doing all the work Jeff! 

As to buying a Clan, now there was a neglected unloved type of engine.  I subscribe to the feeling that they were not driven to their design capabilities, rather than being outright poor steamers. Crews might not have liked their different breathing and steaming character, and perhaps a little less in reserve, to apart from being 'different' they didn't do any better than a good 5MT or 7MT might have done. Abd they had, like most Standards, draughty dusty cabs.

Rob

Coachman pointed out qute rightly that in the last days of BR steam top lamp brackets were lowered to smokebox door, so in view of this, here is the same engine on perhaps the Long Drag.

I am off to open several packages from the UK; two Bulleids, a 9F and and A3.  And a cup of tea!

edit. The Long Drag had flat-bottom rail by 1966 I suppose.... and there are no overhead wire warning on the engine. Too tired to fix those!

post-7929-0-95943100-1371191814.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2