Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Chip - many thanks for the photos...clearly taken by your own fair hand?

Morning Jeff

The photo's were indeed taken by myself, all within half a mile of my front door and on the same footpath.

The stile with 4 photo's was "converted" only a year or two ago from a wooden "up & over" style stile, I don't know why, but I do like the new one a lot better.

We also have some squeeze stiles on this side of the Pennines, but I cannot think of one that is as posh as the one in Andy G's link, now there's a challenge for you Jeff!!

Chip

• RMweb Premium

Chip, You are a man of STILE, 

Jeff I expect to see at LEAST ONE in every wall now :no:

WOT?

Bodgiy Bodgit :O

I think there'll be at least a couple in each walling section from now on. I've just got room at the top of the section I was working on to fit a stile in - I think.

Pics later if I manage it!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff

The photo's were indeed taken by myself, all within half a mile of my front door and on the same footpath.

The stile with 4 photo's was "converted" only a year or two ago from a wooden "up & over" style stile, I don't know why, but I do like the new one a lot better.

We also have some squeeze stiles on this side of the Pennines, but I cannot think of one that is as posh as the one in Andy G's link, now there's a challenge for you Jeff!!

Chip

Hi Chip.

Your photos certainly clarified what I need to do and I'll make a first attempt later today. I love the simplicity of the walling steps.

Your pics also showed me the abundance of weeds/grasses at the lower levels of the fells. I'll have to think about that one, but no hurry at the mo.

I will be building a packhorse bridge, but I wouldn't have thought of putting a stile on the end of it, as in Andy's link.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Up late today Jeff, Are we working you too hard???

Andy G

Morning Andy.

I was just about to reply re. your previous posts. Signed in late - I've been busy with non-railway work. Going into the bunker in an hour - I've got a short section of walling I can use as a first trial for a stile.

It's just amazing how complex reality is! I could spend a year building a small diorama set around the cutting as there is so much detail that can be put in.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've managed an hour or so before non-railway commitments get in the way.

The first pic shows the cutting wall extended to the backscene board. The lower end is incomplete as it'll be tied into the aqueduct wall, when that's built...

post-13778-0-84664400-1371647587_thumb.jpg

The second pic shows the start of a wall that will join into the cutting wall. The new wall will swing along the Fell for around 100cm, descending slowly. I'll build a pathway on either side of this wall and fit a couple of stiles into it...

post-13778-0-57451000-1371647593_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, just popped on to say - those stone walls look the business - best I've seen on a model!

They say dry stone walling is a work of art - yours certainly is. This project looks more and more exciting every time I come back.

Cheers Jam. Much appreciated. I just wish I'd invented the method - I am but a disciple! (Feb 2013 RM).

One good thing - I'm speeding up as I do more....I reckon I'm pushing 20cm an hour now! And - so far - it's surprisingly enjoyable.

YES - you know I'm crazy!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Just to add my admiration and congratulations, the walling is an absolute triumph.

You may be a disciple, but I think you're on your way to being the Teacher...

(sorry)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Just to add my admiration and congratulations, the walling is an absolute triumph.

You may be a disciple, but I think you're on your way to being the Teacher...

(sorry)

Cheers Alastair!

As someone recently retired from the teaching fraternity I'll remain a disciple....then I can blame others when I get it wrong!!

Jeff

• Like 2

Chip, You are a man of STILE, 

Jeff I expect to see at LEAST ONE in every wall now :no:

WOT?

Bodgiy Bodgit :O

What does wide open throttle have to do with it, lad?   Is that what you use in your Pug when you want to accelerate?

Moderator warning. Thread drift.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Srystone walls look smashing and well worth plowing through a load of driftwood. This layout has depth.

Hi Larry.

Since the landscape is the most important feature of the model to me I set out to try to capture some of the essence of the S&C. It looks like it's going to take a long time, but the fells, stonewalling, bridge/tunnel work, viaduct and some kind of prototypical track formation have so far evolved.

Hopefully I'll be able to continue to mimic the real landscape - the Lunesters are sure to keep me on the "straight and narrow"!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

What does wide open throttle have to do with it, lad?   Is that what you use in your Pug when you want to accelerate?

Lol!! You worry too much about that, Rob. There are a number of regular contributors to KL and they each have their own style (I was going to say "stile", but the pun has been overused).

So to hell with thread drift - I don't care!

For your info, I sent Apollo to TMC on Monday. It's been weathered and is due back tomorrow! Incredible. My 9F is due from Kernow any day soon, so I'll be posting pics - including a comparison of pre-weathered and custom weathered 9Fs.

Keep driving the V8 Ford Ka!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Alastair!

As someone recently retired from the teaching fraternity I'll remain a disciple....then I can blame others when I get it wrong!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Yep, I knew that, hence the apology :D

Oh, by the way (shhh)

Don't tell AndyP, but there has been a sighting of some grass on my thread...

:nono:

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, by the way (shhh)

HeeHee! The Baron is currently in the Lounge - he'll sure as hell be here soon. 

So you've been holding off the g-stuff too. Good man. But I can only resist a little longer!!  :D :D :D

Jeff

ps. I'll pop over and see what you've been up to...

I've managed an hour or so before non-railway commitments get in the way.

The first pic shows the cutting wall extended to the backscene board. The lower end is incomplete as it'll be tied into the aqueduct wall, when that's built...

attachicon.gif100_3518.JPG

The second pic shows the start of a wall that will join into the cutting wall. The new wall will swing along the Fell for around 100cm, descending slowly. I'll build a pathway on either side of this wall and fit a couple of stiles into it...

attachicon.gif100_3523.JPG

Jeff

O.K. Jeff, I am going to stir up another debate for you,  Re your WALLS.

If you made some bits of walling to 3mm to the foot.

And some at 2mm to the foot.

Your walls could recede into the distance in hight, width, and substance,

That would then look more convincing when viewed from three feet or so away as the eye will not have a forced perspective and then it you be more pleasing to the mind. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodgit the Bricky, :no:                 NOT :O

Jeff, just popped on to say - those stone walls look the business - best I've seen on a model!

They say dry stone walling is a work of art - yours certainly is. This project looks more and more exciting every time I come back.

Jeff, I have just agreed to this one of Jams

Bodgit the CREAP :no: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand:

Edited by Andrew P

Jeff, Rob has just given me an idea,

How about a hole in the wall on the outside of a bend in the road,

No need for a car or Motorbike just the hole in the wall as a suggestion of what happened.

Bodgit the EX biker :sungum:

Oh, by the way (shhh)

I'm on my way.

Bodgit Greengrass :sungum:

It's all a cunning subterfuge by Jeff, you know. There never will be grass on K/L - or even ballast!

??????????

I think he's going to model the fell and environs in mid-February, with the whole lot under drifts and drifts of blown snow...

And most of it will look like this:

Cheers

Scott (Stirring Lunester)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Scott - Stirring Lunester indeed!!

Actually, that's not a bad idea - it would save me a fair amount on grass materials!

I must get the cuttings ballasted - experiments first, though. And that'll have to wait as I'm having a few days off with my dad.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

O.K. Jeff, I am going to stir up another debate for you,  Re your WALLS.

If you made some bits of walling to 3mm to the foot.

And some at 2mm to the foot.

Your walls could recede into the distance in hight, width, and substance,

That would then look more convincing when viewed from three feet or so away as the eye will not have a forced perspective and then it you be more pleasing to the mind. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodgit the Bricky, :no:                 NOT :O

Andy, I might give this a try for the walls that are the furthest from the operating position - to the left of the viaduct, as you normally view my photos.

There's only so much that I can practically change, as the "brickwork" is fiddly at 4mm:foot - so making it smaller makes things more awkward to handle. I'll have a good think about this when I get to the relevant places.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: Just to let everyone know...there'll be no progress for the next few days as I'm staying at my dads for a bit of chat and relaxation.

Please keep posting your usual variety of stuff (some of which Larry calls "driftwood"). I may have a pic or two of my new locos, when they are delivered.

Jeff