Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff,

The greens in your photo look close enough to me but still somewhat yellow-light as per the nature of artificial/tungsten lamps and digicamera filters. I incline to darker and near black greens for foliage on my layouts and similar-to-yours for grasses. Certainly it's an art form and nobody ever agrees!

The Britannia in the photo is late-version Hornby model of 70015 Apollo, one of the ex-Western Region engines which ended up at Carlisle (they nearly all did I think between 1962 and 1967), this one with rectangular smoke deflector cutouts. It has been heavily weathered, well, sprayed matt black mostly, renamed and renumbered 70022 'Tornado'.   The WR Britannias mostly got lowered exhaust steam ejectors at the rear of the smokebox as well as deflector mods, which somebody will no doubt point out to me, making my model a crime against authenticity-in-modelling.

However, reverting to light and shade and colour, I do like the look of of yellowish grasses as in several of the prototype bridge pictures earlier in this thread and hope the colours I use in my pictures aren't too far off the mark. I tend to use warmer greens in Southern Region or Wessex locations.

Here is that same engine with 12-on.  380 tons unaided over many of the grades on the WCML or S&C might have been a 'last show' for 70022. The engine is illustrated in November 1967 with a parcels train near Carlisle in bleak weather in C T Gifford's 'Each a Glimpse' book of great b+w photos.

In my imagination the crew are having a bit of a struggle with such a heavy train on the 1-in-75 and are down to 25mph and the cutoff is long at about 30% with sanders on, but not in so much trouble that the driver doesn't whistle for the frozen cameraman!  I have recordings of NZ steam trains in trouble on grades in the 1950s, done by Derek Cross, who took a lot of great photos of railways in NZ and the UK, and the sound of the kind of chime whistle on BR Standard Britannias, well, it would send shivers up your spine.

post-7929-0-30813200-1371253068.jpg

• Like 1

Rob, the reason that Wadebridge is special to me is because my Parents met just outside Wadebridge during the War and used to go there dancing on a Sat night.

Wonderful stuff,

P.S. I have to say that I HATE the Sunshine Southern Green but that is just a personal thing I guess.

Bodgit

Hi Andy, yes the Malachite Green used on the SR-era engine is a bit bright, I shall try to render it somewhat less bright when I photograph it.

34007 'Wadebridge' in BR    ex-Great Western   Brunswick Green, well, what can you say?   Terrible stuff, wot the GWR did....

I shall ponder scenes for both engines in the next wee while, armed with an Irwell 'Book of Bulleid Light Pacifics' and a hot drink. Cold grey winter weather here, I hope you enjoy seeing 'Sir Keith Park', perhaps in steam?  The man himself was a great NZer. My partner Jan's father was a flight commander in WW2 so it is an engine with a personal connection. Jan's mother was in the Land Army near Birmingham, Bromsgrove of all places, but wasn't so far as I know heavily into train spotting. <g>

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Rob - I should've recognised Apollo - I have that very same loco as part of my collection (bought in 2008). Unweathered at the moment, but that may change!

Colour is a very subjective thing indeed. One thing I've learnt over the years is to make the "greens" much yellower than my first efforts - good job they were before digital cameras as the "scenery" (especially the green colours) was laughable!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rob - I should've recognised Apollo - I have that very same loco as part of my collection (bought in 2008). Unweathered at the moment, but that may change!

Colour is a very subjective thing indeed. One thing I've learnt over the years is to make the "greens" much yellower than my first efforts - good job they were before digital cameras as the "scenery" (especially the green colours) was laughable!

Jeff

Apollo is heading off to TMC on Monday for a bit of weathering. Will show some pics once she rejoins the fleet.

No layout work done today due to external commitments. Building patios takes time. A nice break though!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Good. Apollo will look nice.  I have promoted a weathered 9F 92177 to being photographed before my Bulleids, my head is still in the Westmoreland fells.

Glad to hear that - will look forward to seeing what you come up with.

In the meantime, a bit of model walling followed by a lot of real walling.

If anyone wants to post a suggested Lakeland stile or "good" collapsed/partially ruined wall photo - please do....I will study the pics for the next wall section!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's interesting that you pick out the more modern Lake District stiles, the ladder types, as opposed to the ones that are built with long stones passing through the wall.

Even more interestingly the ladder stile was the Highland Railways standard way of getting footpaths through (or over in this case) their fences...

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Duncan - thanks very much for those. A quick response.... I just need lots of ideas!

Andy - I don't mind the style as long as it's authentic and looks good - I could even try a mix.

I'm off to do some patio work now - will report back at around 8. Keep the info coming - it's really appreciated.

Jeff

Yes thanks noted and viewed, Andrew.

While Jeff is away resting I of course have been sat here while rain pours down outside, still in a rather Westmoreland or thereabout mood, I photographed Doncaster's 92177 by Bachmann

I don't know if such an engine ventured very often beyond Leeds or Skipton or indeed if it ever graced the S&C, but we all know that Jeff likes them, hell, he may even be old enough to have actually seen one!

Here is the weathered model, not as heavily weathered as many models, but I couldn't help thinking while messing around with the photo just how short the lives of these late-BR-era steam engines were.

post-7929-0-84933900-1371443340.jpg

also out on the fells, clearly stolen by some foreign shed for a long train of empties to somewhere they were needed. The driver's side cylinder has a 'blow' of steam which is nice for the photographer.

post-7929-0-17486300-1371443547.jpg

or, in case there were permanent way repairs and the engine had to actually work hard on the grade...

post-7929-0-58849000-1371447836.jpg

Phew.   Time for dinner I think.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Rob.

Not resting - too much to do. I've been doing household chores for the last hour and now settled down to look at the Forum.

I don't recall 9Fs in mainline service, but I do think they are magnificent machines. I like the last image with the wind blowing from the left....

Will try and get some more model walling done today - after I've sent Apollo off for it's coat of dirt!

Jeff

Thankyou Jeff, I like that effect too, have seen it often with trains in the 60s.

I rather like this cropped version. Everybody thinks grass is taking far too long to grow on KL., but I am patient.

post-7929-0-22661700-1371448672.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Going backwrds in the tread for a minute, just to let you know that I have found a source of a square of Humbrol Track Colour, which will hopefully be headed down to me soon.....

Jeff, you up yet? There are walls to make and green stuff to sow you know! ;-}

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Going backwrds in the tread for a minute, just to let you know that I have found a source of a square of Humbrol Track Colour, which will hopefully be headed down to me soon.....

Jeff, you up yet? There are walls to make and green stuff to sow you know! ;-}

Andy G

Morning Andy.

I've been up since 04.20. Cleaned the house downstairs, did a load of washing, just done 45 minutes on the exercise bike, had a couple of cups of tea in the garden. And posted to Rob at 5.55!

Will be in the bunker within the hour to do some more walling....

As far as the green stuff - a lot of people chuck it on at an early stage to try to show "completeness". I'll put it on after the walls have had a touch of paint and a couple of other, minor, adjustments have been made. Only local grass, of course - from the branch cutting wall into the corner.

I will include some stiles and run-down sections of walling in my next construction - which will be the longest bit yet.

Good to hear you've tracked the Humbrol down!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

So are you tempted to paint of the walls yet then?

Also what is the current state of play with the bridge tops, they seem to have not been talked about for a bit.

I'm glad i don't live next to you, hoovering at 5am, what are you like? When i lived on my own, the hoovering was only done 10mins before someone came to visit!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

So are you tempted to paint of the walls yet then?

Also what is the current state of play with the bridge tops, they seem to have not been talked about for a bit.

I'm glad i don't live next to you, hoovering at 5am, what are you like? When i lived on my own, the hoovering was only done 10mins before someone came to visit!

Andy G

It's all a bit of do this before you do this before.....

The corner walling and painting/grass has to be done first. Then the track in the cutting/under the bridges has to be ballasted before the bridges can be fitted into their final positions. Then the hillside is built up over the top of the bridges. At that point the aqueduct sections on the bridges can be extended across the hill and the walls I've just built can be tied in. Then the cutting is to be extended at the front of the bridges and a further section of hillside (small bit and low) added....

It all makes sense to me, so sorry if it sounds like gobbledegook!

I don't normally clean up at 5. I felt the house had been neglected with all my activities elsewhere!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I hope you had a good weekend,

George and I went to the SVR on Sat and it was really good, but on Sunday we went to the Wigan show and it was a let down after the last couple of years, such a shame after nearly 3 hours driving to get there.

Rob's pics are such an inspiration and I would love to see what he could do with my Viaduct. hahaaah

I notice you are closing in on 300 pages, good job the Lounge is separate.

Will you be walling this week  in or out?

Its raining here now so after house jobbies, a run to the Chemist and the Bank I will be running FY to work out a strategy, rip it up :O  or Percy Vera :no: ?????

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I hope you had a good weekend,

George and I went to the SVR on Sat and it was really good, but on Sunday we went to the Wigan show and it was a let down after the last couple of years, such a shame after nearly 3 hours driving to get there.

Rob's pics are such an inspiration and I would love to see what he could do with my Viaduct. hahaaah

I notice you are closing in on 300 pages, good job the Lounge is separate.

Will you be walling this week  in or out?

Its raining here now so after house jobbies, a run to the Chemist and the Bank I will be running FY to work out a strategy, rip it up :O  or Percy Vera :no: ?????

Bodgit :sungum:

Hi Andy. I looked through your posts from the SVR and it appears you enjoyed yourself as much as I do when I pop over to the NYMR.

I've just done another hour of interior walling. That's enough for now - I'll be doing 3-4 hours work on the patio (I'll post-up a couple of recent pics) later this afternoon. Warm and sunny here!

Just sent a Britannia off to be weathered - so looking forward to getting it back looking like the last 2.

As far as FY is concerned - now that you've considered some SMP - I'd re-do the track before you really regret it and "do a Larry". It'll be fun and a good project to keep you occupied for half-an-hour (!!  :O  :O !!). Oh, alright then, 50 minutes!

I've just bought a bottle of Copydex so I'll be carrying out ballasting trials over the next week or so. Off to my dads on Friday for a few days....

Jeff

Is the sun actually shining up there Jeff?   (Anywhere north of Bletchley is 'up there')

We have just had grey rain, floods further south, and sea-level snow to come. Good picture-making weather. Not necessarily so nice in the bunker if there is bright sun outside.  I like the way you plan the layout construction.  So long as each stage is enjoyable in itself.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, someone disagrees with something I've said. Wow - it's only taken 7000 posts for that to happen.

Look - this is a hobby and everyone has their own point of view. I'm not a great fan of the "Agree/Disagree" system - each to their own. But as James has said in his blog, if someone wants to disagree then DISCUSS it! 

And by the way - the grass thing has been an ongoing, humorous "funny" amongst the posters on here. Mine will get done when it seems to be the right time.... unless the Baron breaks in to the bunker and does it for me!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations on 7000 posts :sungum:  :sungum:  :declare:  :O

Cheers Duncan. A lot has been done in the last year, but at the rate I'm going we may reach another 7000 before I finish!

Thanks for the walling info - I plan to put some of the images to good use. Hope the job is keeping you out of mischief!

Jeff