Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon and Al.

Nice to see a bit of logic being used to justify a bit of filth on the locos, which I'm very happy to go along with.

I remember a time - maybe 20 years ago - when I thought that ballasting the track was a heinous crime. Weathered locos? Forget it!! Times change...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy (uax6): just got the chance to open up those scans you sent me. Could be very useful in the future - I will add them to the collection.

Hope you're not too busy washing and cleaning all those Highland locos of yours!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy (uax6): just got the chance to open up those scans you sent me. Could be very useful in the future - I will add them to the collection.

Hope you're not too busy washing and cleaning all those Highland locos of yours!!

Jeff

Funny you should say that Jeff, but the answer is no! I'm actually going to weather them, but only lightly, to match the piccys that I have.

I have some more scans buried in the pile for you, mostly Midland railway lineside fittings and station plans, I'll send them over when I get a minute.

Andy G

Hi Jeff, Just popped in to see whats new, I've had a busy few days and more of the same to come I am afraid PLUS of course the BRITISH GRAND PRIX this weekend.

Its good to see that the others are keeping you on your toes and not allowing you to slack in my absence, hahahhaaa.

I did see that Jason has made a return which is always good news and Al is doing a great job of Balewell, I also had a look at Greenfield the other day and that looks good too.

I will be back again soon.

Bodgit

I'm sure Jeff that you will find that nice models look good either pristine or weathered, but very slightly weathered is my own preference for most purchases, because I always have the options of adding grime or rust later.  Unless it is a Standard 5MT 4-6-0 or WD 2-8-0 where heavier dirt seemed to be the norm. 

With diesels I presume that some grime around the lower body and bogies would be good but we would need advice from Bodgit as to how most easily to do this.  My own answer to that is to be in complete denial about the existence of anything but glorified kettles.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, Just popped in to see whats new, I've had a busy few days and more of the same to come I am afraid PLUS of course the BRITISH GRAND PRIX this weekend.

Its good to see that the others are keeping you on your toes and not allowing you to slack in my absence, hahahhaaa.

I did see that Jason has made a return which is always good news and Al is doing a great job of Balewell, I also had a look at Greenfield the other day and that looks good too.

I will be back again soon.

Bodgit

Sounds like we are both in the same boat. I may get back to layout work by the end of the week, but being in Cumbria, 120 miles from the bunker, doesn't help!

More locos on order, btw - including an Austerity. 

Enjoy the Grand Prix!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure Jeff that you will find that nice models look good either pristine or weathered, but very slightly weathered is my own preference for most purchases, because I always have the options of adding grime or rust later.  Unless it is a Standard 5MT 4-6-0 or WD 2-8-0 where heavier dirt seemed to be the norm. 

With diesels I presume that some grime around the lower body and bogies would be good but we would need advice from Bodgit as to how most easily to do this.  My own answer to that is to be in complete denial about the existence of anything but glorified kettles.

Hi Rob.

I'm aware of your allergic reaction to diesels. I quite like them, though I haven't bought any this year (a 37 and 2 40s in the pipeline).

As for kettles - more on the way, photos when possible.

Btw, there is a beautifully weathered WD on the TMC website. If you search "WD" you'll see the one I mean - "rusty" as hell!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ooooh, it's very quiet in here. Is there anybody there? Hello? Hello?

Hi Jonathan. It is very quiet on here - not helped by my being away and being unable to post anything new or interesting.

I'll hopefully rectify that in the coming weeks - plenty to do, I think!

In the meantime, if anyone has anything to contribute, go for it!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

How about some g***s? I went to the garden centre today and came out with 4 of the Guardman hanging basket liners, sadly I could only get round ones....

Now how are we suppose to use this stuff again?

Andy G

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

I have plenty to contribute but nothing much to do with Kirkby Luneside. 

I did buy a pile of books yesterday via Web most of which will take weeks to arrive here, but one is Midland Steam in 'The Last Decade of British Railways Steam' by Gavin Morrison, another a book on 9Fs. I greatly enjoy reading engine details and seem to have great memory capacity for numbers of dubious value!  This comes from being given for my 8th Christmas 'The Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives of Britain' 1958 by H C Casserley, which after 54 years I still have and it's still in fair order too. A year later it was Meccano Set No.2, and a year after that a Hornby Dublo 0-6-0 Tank Engine.     And downhill ever since really....

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I have plenty to contribute but nothing much to do with Kirkby Luneside. 

I did buy a pile of books yesterday via Web most of which will take weeks to arrive here, but one is Midland Steam in 'The Last Decade of British Railways Steam' by Gavin Morrison, another book on 9Fs. I greatly enjoy reading engine details and seem to have great memory capacity for numbers of dubious value!  This comes from being given for my 8th Christmas 'The Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives of Britain' 1958 by H C Casserley, which after 54 years I still have and it's still in fair order too. A year later it was Meccano Set No.2, and a year after that a Hornby Dublo 0-6-0 Tank Engine.     And downhill ever since really....

Maybe it's a generation-thing. I have the same "problem" with astronomical data - distances, colours, brightness of stars, details of planets etc - all stemming from a similar Observer's source as yours. A bit of knowledge doesn't do any harm!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

How about some g***s? I went to the garden centre today and came out with 4 of the Guardman hanging basket liners, sadly I could only get round ones....

Andy G

Andy - I've 2 rolls of hanging basket liner on order. 

The discussion on HBLs started in the Lounge, around post 955. I'll need to have a look at this to clarify what to do. May also be worth looking at Al's "Bakewell" layout (acg_mr) , as the Baron has recently posted some pics on there re. HBL (Al has bought a roll of the stuff, too).

Never having used HBL, I'm not sure how useful it'll be (if at all) on the Fell. Experimentation (aka "playing"!!) will be the name of the game!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'll have a look later on and see what I can find!

I'm glad I'm not the only person with Observers books. I have three issues of railway locos, and a complete set from 1-49, with a vast amount of the others. I must get round to filling the holes someday!

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'll have a look later on and see what I can find!

I'm glad I'm not the only person with Observers books. I have three issues of railway locos, and a complete set from 1-49, with a vast amount of the others. I must get round to filling the holes someday!

Andy G

They were excellent sources of information. My regret is that I only have the space and spaceflight-related books (Manned/Unmanned spaceflight and Astronomy).

If memory serves me right, the latter was book 32....I've 3 or 4 different editions dating back to 1965.

Post-up any info you find re. HBLs. I hope I can use them for part of the Fell as it'd speed the g****ing process up!!

Jeff

In any event Jeff, here is yesterday's pic of a Merchant Navy on a climb 'similar to' Upwey bank leaving Weymouth, nothing to do with KL. Not even any stone walls! Hornby platelayer's hut looks the part though.

I say 'similar to' because Stationmaster tells me the cutting was deeper and Coachmann says tongue-in-cheek I think there is too much exhaust. It is up in two other threads in one form or another including the lounge.

post-7929-0-75091100-1372396707.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had quite a windfall of Observers books about 15 years ago, when I got given about 15 from a local school that was going to chuck them out. The bindings aren't brill, but they still fill quite a big hole in the collection!

I'll share what I find i promise!

Andy G

I have no doubt Jeff that when KL is nearer completion, with weathered steam engines and wagons and or carriages, and grass between the stone walls, we will be able to produce some nice pictures. It will be fun when your weather changes for the worse.

Ignore Bodgit's beautifully-weathered diesels, they are far too modern.

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

I have no doubt Jeff that when KL is nearer completion, with weathered steam engines and wagons and or carriages, and grass between the stone walls, we will be able to produce some nice pictures. It will be fun when your weather changes for the worse.

Ignore Bodgit's beautifully-weathered diesels, they are far too modern.

Rob

Rob, you are, of course, correct re. "when the weather turns". It'll mean hours of work in the bunker, and, hopefully, a lot of progress.

As for Bodgit's diesels - I noticed his latest pics in the Lounge.... Well, I like them very much - the green ones especially. However, I do prefer steamers. I've a Patriot and Jubilee on order from TMC at the mo, with another Jubilee and Austerity ready to go off for weathering. If you've seen it, go to the TMC site and type "WD" into the Search box. Scroll down to 90482, custom weathered Austerity. Absolutely magnificent!

Jeff

Andy G

Andy, Did you look for the rolls, that's how I get mine,

Bodgit

• RMweb Premium

Andy G

Andy, Did you look for the rolls, that's how I get mine,

Bodgit

Andy (uax6) - I ordered 2 rolls online from Amazon. Others have provided links to sellers on eBay. They are very readily available.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Andy G

I'm watching for that too Andy as I 'recovered' the bag (a large rectangular piece from the garden centre sometime back) this week having given it to Mrs Stationmaster as the world seemed to be moving on from this stuff - until I saw Herr Bodgit's handiwork which is greatly encouraging.  I have heard of two methods of using it but won't blight this column with them until we hear from the experts.

• RMweb Premium

I'm watching for that too Andy as I 'recovered' the bag (a large rectangular piece from the garden centre sometime back) this week having given it to Mrs Stationmaster as the world seemed to be moving on from this stuff - until I saw Herr Bodgit's handiwork which is greatly encouraging.  I have heard of two methods of using it but won't blight this column with them until we hear from the experts.

Well said, Mike.

I have some ideas about applying the liner, but I'd really like to see a video or picture-by-picture demo, maybe from the Baron - in order to see the best way to use the stuff.

Otherwise, as has often happened on KL, I'll experiment "in the dark" until I hit upon the "best" formula!

Jeff